Importers discussion

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!

Favourite importer of choice

Play-asia
56%
Lik-sang
7%
Yesasia
7%
NCSX
31%

Total votes: 61

system11

Importers discussion

Post by system11 »

The release of Mushihimesama, and some of the delays, has prompted a lot of discussion on importers, dates, customs, shipping costs and so on. It'd be nice to contain this in a useful thread for the future.

For the purposes of the poll I've only included ones I know of, who are fairly high profile. I'm sorry if this omits anyones favourite - please mention them in the thread if so.

Personally, I use play-asia at the moment. I've got no complaints really with their prices or delivery speed, but I've noticed that using UPS gives me a pretty nasty customs bill every single time - $45 on a $225 package, after UK taxes and the UPS "handling charge". I'm switching back to EMS, that in the past only got taxed "sometimes". I'd love to escape the taxes altogether. Has anyone in the UK used yes-asia? Fast? DId you get taxed? Do any of you have anything particularly good or bad to say about any of the companies? Got anything to say about the wide or narrow range they carry?
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
Naiera

Post by Naiera »

Couriers will always get you an automatic customs bill. It's just the way it works. Best use EMS if you wish to avoid from time to time.

I didn't vote because I really don't know right now. I'm off P-A for now, but I've never tried Yes Asia and I'd never use an American store to import stuff from Asia. For US games I use Videogamesplus. Lik Sang is too expensive, but at least their Free Shipping thing always goes through Europe. If you don't care about delivery time (usuall only takes a week though, but that used to be the case with P-A and airmail as well) and want to be sure to avoid customs, it's a good place to shop at.

As mentioned in another thread, I'll probably try Yes-Asia for Raiden III.
zinger

Post by zinger »

Every single swedish person I've spoken to, has got hefty custom fares the last couple of times they've ordered from P-A (no matter what shipping alternative they use), including me. It wasn't like that before though, and except for that (and some odd prices on retro software) I've never experienced any problems with their service.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

I also use play-asia mostly. And I never have experienced any problems with them either. I use economy air bubble as my shipping option when available and usually my items arrive here exactly 10 days after the invoice, which also matched the actual shipping date everytime I checked.

The only negative experience I had was with a package containing my DC copy of Shiki 2 and a Hori digital pad for the Gamecube. I waited for that one forever, but it turned out it wasn't play-asia's fault at all. They shipped immediately, but the package apparently got held at German customs, where they kept it for five weeks before those bastards there felt like telling me that they have it. Needless to say I was required to show up personally to pay the customs tax. Their office ours were not exactly customer-friendly, especially not for someone like me who has to travel an hour or so to work every morning and every evening, so I had some difficulties picking up my stuff. :x

But, again, it wasn't PA's fault.
Naiera

Post by Naiera »

zinger wrote:Every single swedish person I've spoken to, has got hefty custom fares the last couple of times they've ordered from P-A (no matter what shipping alternative they use), including me. It wasn't like that before though, and except for that (and some odd prices on retro software) I've never experienced any problems with their service.
Most likely because they've started marking packages as MERCHANDISE instead of Sample, like they used to. Both of my copies of Mushihime-sama were marked this way and I had to pay customs on both of them.
mrMagenta

Post by mrMagenta »

I'm also a swede, and i've been taxed every time when ordering from PA, but that aside it has been smooth sailing and decent deliverytimes. Lik-sang has always taken a long time for their deliveries.
FatalError

Post by FatalError »

I've been using NCSX for years. To the point I call them up to place an order and they recognize my voice. I have NEVER had a problem with NCSX.
I used Play Asia recently (since I had heard so much about them), and was very pleased with them. I had pre-ordered Mushihimesama, and I got it in the US in three days.

I highly recommend both.
zinger

Post by zinger »

And oh, credit must be given to what P-A actually have in stock. A lot of classics (SS/MD/PS/GG etc) which at some times can be yours for a fair price (in mint condition, with spines, manuals, boxes etc!).
Gozer

Post by Gozer »

I use Play Asia. I've had no problems with them. Any used products that I've purchased from them look practically brand new.
Bishamon

Post by Bishamon »

I used to use Tronix and NCS quite a bit back in the mid-90s, but lately it's been Play Asia.
peeveen

Post by peeveen »

I'm in the UK. I use PlayAsia 95% of the time ... almost always just choose cheapest shipping option, game usually arrives in a week or so. I have never had to pay customs fees on their stuff, even when I got my PSP delivered by courier earlier in the year. Lately, however, games are taking about two weeks to arrive ... I still haven't got my Mushihimesama pre-order. :(

Used LikSang about five or six times ... no complaints until an item went walkabout ... they eventually sent a replacement, though, months later.

Bought a CD from YesAsia once ... no complaints.
Acid King

Post by Acid King »

Lately I've been using Play Asia because of their bigger selection and their specials (Bujingai for $10 and Shin Contra for $15). The only problem I've had with their service was when I ordered my JP PS2, Berserk and Shikigami 2 LEThey held shipment over for two weeks or so, then split the order and shipped the PS2 and Berserk without SNS2 despite the fact that it was in stock when I ordered it. Then two weeks later they shipped it with the cheapest shipping option, despite paying for UPS, so I didn't get it for another week. I like NCSX especially because I get UPS ground deliveries within 2 days of shipping, but PA has them beat when it comes to selection.
Feedback will set you free.
captpain wrote:Basically, the reason people don't like Bakraid is because they are fat and dumb
AAA

Post by AAA »

up until seeing the latest threads and posts, i have been a play-asia junkie.

now they are starting to get some bad rep amongst folk (and my two latest packages have been late and with customs charges), I may well move over to yes-asia
snap monkey

Post by snap monkey »

I only recently got into import gaming and have been using play-asia so far. Preordered Mushihimesama, went with the cheap 7 to 15 day shipping, it shipped on July 20th, haven't seen it yet.

I've only made three transactions with them, and they've always been good about getting stuff in the mail pretty quickly. Delays usually arise when stuff gets held up in customs. My last order, which I could track, sat in US customs for about 3 days before it moved again. I assume that's what is keeping Mushi, so I can't really fault play-asia for that since it's out of their hands.

I imagine it'd be a similar story using other sites as well. If you're going to order something from an import store, especially someplace as far away as Hong Kong, don't expect to see it immediately unless you are prepared to splurge on express shipping. It'd also be worth finding out about any potential customs taxes for the country you're importing to. It sounds like the Europeans here know about this all too well.

Of course, there's always ebay or the trading station or that friend who knows a guy who knows a guy to consider as well. But it's nice to be able to buy stuff new from a reliable vendor.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Yesasia are my new favourite personally, previously I would have said play-asia every time but recently they've been hit and miss with marking down packages and yesasia have become extremely competitive price-wise recently :)

I received my Mushi order 3 working days after release with the free shipping option from yesasia 8)
Ketsui-The last of the manly cave shooters.
angrycoder

Post by angrycoder »

I've been using NCSX since I started buying imports 4 years ago. They have the best customer service of any company I have ever dealt with, video game releated or otherwsie, brick and mortar or online. Their shipping prices are fair and delivery is fast. I have no complaints, even if it ends up being 5 bucks or so more than play asia.
Naiera

Post by Naiera »

snap monkey wrote:If you're going to order something from an import store, especially someplace as far away as Hong Kong, don't expect to see it immediately unless you are prepared to splurge on express shipping.
No one expected to see their games immediately. What I think people expected, was to see their games as quickly as they usually do. For me it usually takes a week, so I didn't expect it to take 14 days (and usually, I don't pay customs taxes either, which I had to this time. Long wait, AND additional expenses, nice...). With a Cave game, I think a lot of people were a little less patient than they usually would be.
Last edited by Naiera on Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

I've had no trouble with Play-Asia in the past, and have been using them for a few years now. Every so often I get a customs charge, but that usually depends on how much I order at once. They've always shipped when they said it had shipped, and it's always taken at least two days to arrive, so no complaints.

They're also the only place I know of that gets Arcadia in on release date, as well as stocking some other bits and pieces I tend to collect.
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

First off, sorry to hear that the Europeans among us have to pay sales tax on imports. That's a bit of a drag, obviously. In the US one is taxed on mail order only when the item is being shipped from the state you are having it sent to (e.g. Ohio).

There are some things I really like about Play-Asia:
1. I bought Zanac Neo used from them and it was in mint condition.
2. They have a great selection of stuff.
3. Shipping is cheap.
4. The coupons.
5. Shipping is usually fast. (Only in the case of Mushi did I have to wait over 10 days.)

Nevertheless, I'm tempted to try out NCSX because they have a few things I'm interested in.
snap monkey

Post by snap monkey »

Naiera wrote:No one expected to see their games immediately. What I think people expected, was to see their games as quickly as they usually do. For me it usually takes a week, so I didn't expect it to take 14 days (and usually, I don't pay customs taxes either, which I had to this time. Long wait, AND additional expenses, nice...). With a Cave game, I think a lot of people were a little less patient than they usually would be.
That's a good point. I guess it all depends on whether play-asia was honest about when they shipped stuff. If they said they shipped something on the 20th online but it wasn't actually post-marked until days later, then that's a cause for concern, regardless of what their definition of "shipped" is. However, once it's in the mail, they can't do anything about it. All they can do is send stuff on time (hopefully). Frustrating none the less.
AAA

Post by AAA »

also, play-asia are really messing me about regarding a shipment of electroplankton where the game box damaged during transit.

they are trying to put the blame onto ups, basically shirking responsibility and delaying to pay a refund.

taking an age responding to my chasing emails too.
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

My wife corrected my earlier comment about sales tax. Apparently there is a federal sales tax on over-seas purchases here in the US, but they are not so good about enforcing this tax. We are supposed to declare over-seas purchases on our income tax return.
Thunder Force
Location: research and development facility for Vasteel Technology.

Post by Thunder Force »

I've been using Play-Asia mostly for the past few years. They used to be better around a year or two ago when their coupons were better value, they threw in more freebies like magazines with your order, and their basic low-cost shipping was faster. They are still my importer of choice however, despite the slight reduction in my enthusiasm, as they simply still have the best overall service (speed/stock/reliability/etc) of any import shop I've seen.

Yes Asia I've also used but rarely. Their free worldwide shipping policy seems to be their main draw, although the shipping speed at that rate isn't the quickest. They can also sometimes mark up the base price of bulkier items (e.g. arcade sticks) to compensate for the loss they make on their free shipping offer for such heavy items. I've also heard they have been caught removing the limited time preorder freebies from some japanese stocks they get in and selling them separately on their store for extra money.

The only time I ever had an item poorly packaged from an importer was from NCSX. Some import shmup I got from them a couple of years ago ended up arriving cracked/smashed due to inadequate padding, meaning I had to replace it with an unauthentic case of my own. Not a huge deal, but it stuck in my mind. Otherwise NCSX have been around for ages, IIRC I used to order from them in the 90s, so they're reputable that's for sure. No dodgy pirate affiliations I guess, which is something I'm always wondering about with the HK-based places.

Lik Sang hasn't had my business yet... for some reason when I heard about them being temporarily shutdown by the combined power of Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft a while ago I didn't really feel like buying from there, although I know some people swear by 'em
"Thunder Force VI does not suck, shut your fucking mouth." ~ Shane Bettenhausen
jiji

Post by jiji »

Depends on what I need, when I need it, and when I'm buying. If it's a new release, I can preorder it from NCS at competitive pricing with P-A and have it shipped to me in two days after release via cheap USPS Priority Mail. NCS have their "scrap heap scrambles" every so often that I love to sift through, too.

If it's something older that's on special at P-A or a little cheaper there, or if it's an accessory like a controller adaptor or a cheap RGB cable, I'll buy it from P-A. Sometimes P-A will have an older or more obscure current-gen game that NCS never stocked, and vice versa. Neither have let me down over the years, and I'll continue to shop at both.

I usually only go to Lik-Sang to look for an accessory that Play-Asia doesn't have. Yesasia is a nice place to shop, but their prices have traditionally been too rich for my blood.
visuatrox

Post by visuatrox »

zinger wrote:Every single swedish person I've spoken to, has got hefty custom fares the last couple of times they've ordered from P-A (no matter what shipping alternative they use), including me. It wasn't like that before though, and except for that (and some odd prices on retro software) I've never experienced any problems with their service.
It has to do with the amount of business they have here in Sweden. When a company is unknown and not recognized by the evil customs persons, the parcels may slip through. But now as so many in Sweden seems to buy stuff from PA, the stuff never get past the customs.. And it does not help that Play-Asia brands all parcels with their logo..
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

The only importer I've used in Play-Asia, but everything has gone smoothly each time. I ordered Mushihime last week, Tuesday evening, and it would have been here (Canada) late Friday the same week had UPS not slipped up and forgot it at one of their hubs. The box has a 2" crease where it was crushed, but I'm blaming UPS for that and not P-A.

I guess everywhere is different, but I've had to pay 14% local sales tax on any package I've recieved from another country no matter which shipping option I use. Unless a company is willing to lie on their customs declaration do they really have any control over what charges will be placed on the package? Unless a package is marked as a gift and declared at a small value I always assume I'll have to pay taxes when it shows up.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I have been using play-asia mostly and, so far, I only had one problem. The Beatmania GB they sent turned out to be a bootleg in a real box with real inserts. Definatly not play-asia's fault since, from what I heard, all of the other Beatmania GB's were the real deal. I'm guessing that some greedy person switched the real game for a bootleg and the store that play-asia got the game from actidentially sent the game to play-asia. Play-Asia was very nice about giving a refund and even refunded the shipping for Beatmania GB (though they didn't refund the 5 dollars it took to send the game back). I ordered Kururin Paradise with the store credit and recieved the game with no problems.
Neon

Post by Neon »

I ordered a few things from play-asia on June 15th, still haven't shipped. Each time I've emailed them they respond saying that it will be shipped 'sometime this week' and if you don't believe me I've got them saved...this has happened 3 times. I even requested it to be canceled and they said that if I could just wait they could ship it Friday. I think that was 2 weeks ago now. I dunno what to do now since I can't even cancel the fucking thing...
Acid King

Post by Acid King »

Neon wrote:I ordered a few things from play-asia on June 15th, still haven't shipped. Each time I've emailed them they respond saying that it will be shipped 'sometime this week' and if you don't believe me I've got them saved...this has happened 3 times. I even requested it to be canceled and they said that if I could just wait they could ship it Friday. I think that was 2 weeks ago now. I dunno what to do now since I can't even cancel the fucking thing...
Depends on how you pay. I fyou used a credit card, you could probably tell them not to allow the charge.
Feedback will set you free.
captpain wrote:Basically, the reason people don't like Bakraid is because they are fat and dumb
Brian

Post by Brian »

I use NCS for everything and I love their service. They ship everything priority and it takes 2 days to get to me, always. And, I have returned stuff to them with no hassles and nary a question asked. Great place.