Impressions // Twinkle Star Sprites: La Petite Princesse

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Icarus

Impressions // Twinkle Star Sprites: La Petite Princesse

Post by Icarus »

Being a long-time fan of the original TSS on the Neo, and an owner of the Saturn version, I just couldn't resist preordering this one when it was announced that they were doing a sequel (of sorts) to it. Just got a hold of the game this afternoon, and had a quick go on it. Here are my initial impressions:
  • PRESENTATION

The presentation for this game is very nicely done. It reminds me of the graphic and artwork changes that occured when Bust-A-Move moved to the PS2 (a game I still have), very cute characters, thick dark outlines to accentuate their designs, bright and pastel colours. The packaging is very sickly-sweet, but very eye catching - the front cover of the manual also doubles as a poster if you're willing to take it off the staples.

Inside the manual is a lot of nice artwork, nice graphic design using fonts that are reminiscent of the kind of stuff at Japanese font foundry Gray Graphics.

The new design changes are reflected in the in-game titles and menus, sharp design, very crisp and bright. I quite like it.
  • IN-GAME GRAPHICS

The HUD is clean and similar to the original. There's no large bits of info obscuring the action, and everything is presented nicely.

As most will know, the in-game graphics have changed from prerendered sprites to full polygons, and I personally don't think there is anything wrong with it. The characters are fluidly animated, and with little touches like moving clothes and hair, and they themselves move when you use power attacks - like pointing their fingers before launching a fireball - or when they get hit.

The backgrounds are also polygonal, and very bright. Some would say that this might obscure the actual happenings on screen, but since you're not actually dodging tiny bullets, but rather, large fireballs, bosses and Extra Attacks, it's a moot point. There are nice touches in the backgrounds as well, like people on the ground below running around, waterfalls, trees swaying and stuff. It's like you are in a different world - one where they fight each other in a versus shmup :)

Even the Extra Attacks and Bosses are fluidly animated. Bystanders watching a battle in action may be impressed by the look of the in-game design.
  • SOUND AND MUSIC
    The voice acting for the characters is typical cute-em-up stuff, so nothing to report there. The announcers don't sound much different from the original game, so fans will be familar with shouts of EXTRA ATTACK! and REVERSAL!. Sounds great during a heated battle with Extra Attacks and Reverses flying around all over the place. :)

The music is brilliant. I love the remixes of some of the original themes, such as Rosselian (Re:Birth Mix) [Dark Ran's Theme] and Love Me (Lovely Mix) [Tinker&Linker/Schmidt's Theme] <both MP3's 6MB each>. It's quite nostalgic hearing them, and they sound great updated for the new game. The new tracks for the new characters and stages are also very good stuff, and again, reminiscent of the original TSS, so fans of the first won't be disappointed.
  • GAMEPLAY

The most important point: does it play like the original?

Nothing seems to have changed from the first TSS gameplay wise, it's still the same fast and furious fireball war that it always has been. You still have your Shot, which has three levels of Charge - PowerShot, PowerShot with Extra Attack and Boss Attack - and a screen clearing Bomb. Everything moves just as fluidly as the characters do.

I have noted that the fireballs that appear after successful chaining and from reflecting opponent's fireballs seem to move a bit slower than they did in the original, which might make the game somewhat easier for those not familiar with the game. You still get massive waves of fireballs at later points in battles though, and like the original, you can still bounce them right back with good Charge attacks and successful chains.

The Overdrive Orb is also in there, and like the original, it powers you up for massive fireball waves when you create big chains. Someone previously noted that you get a little pause before the Orb activates, and that is exactly like it was in the first game. This time though, you get a little graphic telling you who has activated the Orb, similar to something you see in a fighting game before a player launches a Super. shinkuu... HADOKEN!

Some players might have difficulty discerning what's good for you from what is bad when they are playing, due to the brightness and colourfullness of the backgrounds, but when there are tons of fireballs flying around, you don't really have time to get distracted by the background ;)

There are plenty of old favourites available to select - including Load Ran, Dark Ran and Memory - as well as several new faces, each with their own attributes, Extra and Boss Attacks - so you can spend ages having fun mastering a character. There are also three unknown spots as well in the Character Mode select screen. Three secret characters? ;)
  • EXTRAS

Image Image

You get a nice little double Gallery option in this game - one is for concept artwork, quite nice to look at, and one is the music Sound Test with all the available in-game tracks - and it's very welcome. I believe that you can unlock the original game as well, but I have no idea what the requirements are :P If you can, then this is a neat little package of a game to have.
  • ISSUES
    1. Backgrounds are pretty bright and vibrant, which might make the action a little tough to see.
    2. Not everyone will like the design of the game, quite cute and cuddly (and most shmuppers here probably like their games dark, edgy and badass ;))
    3. The control config menu is in Japanese, making it hard to config your buttons without testing out what button does what first.
    4. One-player modes don't have much replayability after a while, which was a problem with the first TSS - this is a game made for versus modes.
    5. I doubt netplay will be available outside of Japan uness someone makes a World server for import-savvy players to use.
    6. Character Mode is very short. Six battles long :?
  • OVERALL
    This is definitely a package worth owning for TSS fans. Other players might not like the way it plays, but grab a friend anyway, and prepare to lose hours of your life blasting each other in a great, vibrant, enjoyable versus game :D
    The game's main failing is that the one-player modes are very short, but if you can live with that,then it's a blast, great to pick up when you're drained out of Cave/Raizing/Psikyo/G.Rev energy :)
    (Until Senko no Ronde gets ported of course.)
Screenshots, a couple of MP3s from the soundtest, and a kusoplay to come (my comp just crashed :( have to quickly restart).
Last edited by Icarus on Sat Jul 30, 2005 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

I'll just skip over the "post in the existing topic for this game!" comments...;)

But anyways, I'm torn on this...I already own the Saturn version, and while I like it a lot, if this game isn't much different I find it difficult to justify getting it, even if it's executed well (i.e. the same as the original was). On the flipside, I AM glad to see that players who missed TSS the first (and second, on the DC?) time will get the chance to play this instead, and maybe even unlock the original and play that, and of course the online option sounds cool too, even though we in the West are unlikely to be able to take advantage of it.

I'm generally not the type who'll buy a game "just to support the developers" when I really have little intention of playing it, but again, I'm torn here.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

You might want to check out a few of the screens and the MP3s then. Kusoplay to come soon. And I do mean crap-play ;)
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

My friend, remember just who it is you're talking to you when you mention crap play. :mrgreen:
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Quickmedia List:

MP3:
Rosselian (Re:Birth Mix) <Dark Ran's Theme - MP3 // 6MB>
Love Me (Lovely Mix) <Tinker&Linker / Schmidt's Theme - MP3 // 6MB>

Replay:
Dark Ran kusoplay (XVID - 100MB)
(bittorrent client required to download, direct link to torrent file, available for a fortnight from today)
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

BulletMagnet wrote: I AM glad to see that players who missed TSS the first (and second, on the DC?) time will get the chance to play this instead, and maybe even unlock the original and play that.
This is me: I haven't played the earlier versions, but everything I've heard so far makes me really look forward to this. Thanks for all of the info, Icarus.
AAA

Post by AAA »

thanks for the impressions and files icarus

it would seem that this one didn't get messed up. i was a bit concerned about the move to polys before release and what would happen to the brilliant music of the original, but this doubt has all but gone away

am looking forward to some more TSS goodness now,
play-asia here i come
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

A couple of additions:

First, if you go into the gallery and select artwork piece number 38 (the last one), you get a very clean version of the Saturn FMV intro.

Secondly, I've unlocked two of the question marks in the Character Mode:
The bottom center is Load Ran, the bottom right is Tenshin Mikoto. The bottom left is most likely Really Till, since she is in the game.

Third, you can select the alternate colour for your character in Character Mode by pressing Square.

To view your score during a round, press L1 (this will also hide the score if pressed again). By default, the score is hidden until the end of the match.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Ok, the character in the bottom-left space is indeed Really-Till.

You need to unlock and then beat Character Mode with each of the following characters in order to unlock the original game: Really Till, Load Ran, Tenshin Mikoto.

At the title-screen, a fifth option will appear (Neo-Geo Game). Selecting this takes you into an AES emulator (yes, it's running the AES version). Game options are very basic: Difficulty (1 to 8 stars), Rounds (3 or 5), Auto Shot C Button (OFF/ON). There is no control mapping available, the game sets Square as A, X as B, Triangle as C and O as D (even though you won't use this). Take note that Select is pause, not Start (this is standard for Neo Geo consoles).
A=Shot
B=Bomb
C=Auto Shot (if you turn it on)

You have three game modes to choose from, Character Mode, Story Mode and Vs Mode (although the cursor will start in the center on Story Mode).

The game runs very close, speed-wise, to the true Neo cart versions. Playmechanics are all identical as well. The only minor qualms I have are the audio (the music sounds a bit rough, but the SFX seem to have been cleaned up) and the actual display (this game is running in Recap's favourite, "fake low res"... which does cause a slight shimmer to the image). Each player is limited to 4 credits (again, you can tell this is AES mode).

Oddly... once you're in to the AES emulator, there's no escape save for reseting the console. Try as I might, I couldn't find any way of backing out of the game once I was in it.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Thanks to Icarus for the impressions and to Kiken for figuring out how to unlock the original game. Glad I pre-ordered this, I should have it next week.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
PsikyoPshumpPshooterP

Post by PsikyoPshumpPshooterP »

is this game DVD or CD-rom?
The cave whore count in this thread is unbelievable!!!
visuatrox

Post by visuatrox »

PsikyoPshumpPshooterP wrote:is this game DVD or CD-rom?
DVD

Hope my copy will arrive here soon :)

I'm very pleased with how SNK Playmores recent console releases have turned out (Garou, KOF Maximum Impact). They soon better make Pulstar, Blazing Star sequels or ports :)
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

I figured I'd post this to compliment Icarus' replay:

Story Mode, Max Difficulty, All Clear (140 MB)

I made a rather painful mistake at the beginning of the final stage which resulted in me losing one life. Aside from that... the score was alright (700,000+) and I started some decent combos.
SAM

Post by SAM »

Reporting on the Online vs feature. I have tried it and as my previous report on another trend. The game have 0.2 sec to 0.5 sec delay after you press a button, that's for me. I think this would be better if you are located somewhere in Japan. But for me, I stuck on a tiny nameless island in the South China Sea.

I orginally thought you wouldn't won any games under this situation. But rats, I have already paid 900 yen for the BB Match account. It wouldn't cost me more if I loss some more games.

And so I play some more. I figure out that this is an issue to some Japanese players. And I also found that some characters is actually playable even under this situation.

Prove? Well, look at my results so far...

SAM
92 Victorys
97 Defeats

Victory Rate 48.7% ?!

You may tried this yourself if you got high speed internet connection.

TIPs, when filling in the location when opening your BB Match account. States an as remote as possible location within Japan. That's really help.
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
Minzoku

Post by Minzoku »

I'd like the game more if I could think faster :?

Kiken, have you made the "growing boobs" icon yet? :lol: :lol: :lol:
"This is not an alien life form! He is an experimental government aircraft!"
AAA

Post by AAA »

woot got mine today.
i didn't fancy waiting for playasia shipping in light of Mushi debacle so picked it up from local importer instead.
enjoying it nicely, am pleased that snkp took a bit of effort over the presentation etc - this is slick console stuff.
still yet to unlock the ng original version though.

one minor gripe i have is regarding the music.
looks like snkp decided to keep only a handful of the original tracks (and actually remix them pretty well). the rest of the tracks seem quite outsourced.
the production values of the new tracks is nice and high, although some of the melodies are just not to the same standard as the original - i only found myself humming along to one of the new tracks (mode select).
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

In case anyone'd be interested in the soundtrack, apparently it comes out in the next day or two...YesAsia has it up for pre-order, I'll bet other sites do too.

http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/p ... ion-music/
ForteMP3

Post by ForteMP3 »

Just got this today, and I'm LOVING IT! Though I haven't unlocked Till for use in single player yet...Anyone know the requirements for doing so? I've beaten the game with everyone, and completed story mode as well, I have Ran and the final boss whose name I can't remember, but no Till. :(
YOU ARE APPROACHING THE TARGET OF ATTACK! THE MISSION STARTS NOW! ARE YOU READY?!
SAM

Post by SAM »

ForteMP3 wrote:Just got this today, and I'm LOVING IT! Though I haven't unlocked Till for use in single player yet...Anyone know the requirements for doing so? I've beaten the game with everyone, and completed story mode as well, I have Ran and the final boss whose name I can't remember, but no Till. :(
Try playing some more with story mode, once you may meet Till at Stage 3? (the one with water). If you beat her, she would become selectable. And if you beat the game with her, she would ask Twinkle Star to grant her wish of have everything like back in the old days (THREE days ago, according to the story). Neo-Geo Game is then unlocked.
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
ForteMP3

Post by ForteMP3 »

I'll give that a shot, thanks!

Actually, how much do you know about the story? I'm not sure if anyone would ever do a translation for this game's script, but I am kinda curious about it.

Also, I am a bit dissapointed with one thing in this game...The lack of classic character love. Yes, we got Ran, we got Dark Ran, we got a new version of Kim, as well as Really Till and Yan Yan, but where's Griffon? Where's Macky and Pentel? WHERE'S NANJA MONJA?! :(

Still a good game, though the lack of Nanja Monja makes me cry. :(
YOU ARE APPROACHING THE TARGET OF ATTACK! THE MISSION STARTS NOW! ARE YOU READY?!
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

ForteMP3 wrote:I'll give that a shot, thanks!

Actually, how much do you know about the story? I'm not sure if anyone would ever do a translation for this game's script, but I am kinda curious about it.

Also, I am a bit dissapointed with one thing in this game...The lack of classic character love. Yes, we got Ran, we got Dark Ran, we got a new version of Kim, as well as Really Till and Yan Yan, but where's Griffon? Where's Macky and Pentel? WHERE'S NANJA MONJA?! :(

Still a good game, though the lack of Nanja Monja makes me cry. :(
Tenshin Mikoto is the final boss, BTW.

And yeah... Mevious is only present in several of the ending sequences, while Arthur Shmidt only appears in the pre-battle Claudia discussions. I don't remember seeing ANY references to Macky & Pentel, Griffin or Nanja Monja. I think the final number for returning cast was 5 (Load Ran, Dark Ran, Memory, Really Till and Yan Yanyang). At least there's the original game as well to play.
Minzoku

Post by Minzoku »

SAM wrote:
ForteMP3 wrote:Just got this today, and I'm LOVING IT! Though I haven't unlocked Till for use in single player yet...Anyone know the requirements for doing so? I've beaten the game with everyone, and completed story mode as well, I have Ran and the final boss whose name I can't remember, but no Till. :(
Try playing some more with story mode, once you may meet Till at Stage 3? (the one with water). If you beat her, she would become selectable. And if you beat the game with her, she would ask Twinkle Star to grant her wish of have everything like back in the old days (THREE days ago, according to the story). Neo-Geo Game is then unlocked.
I unlocked Really Till, but I didn't beat her, yet it unlocked her as a playable character. It may be hours played or just "has played against"... not sure which.
"This is not an alien life form! He is an experimental government aircraft!"
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

ForteMP3 wrote:Actually, how much do you know about the story?
I don't own the game (yet, at least), but if I had to guess I'd venture that it's something along the lines of the first one, namely all the characters battling each other in order to gain access to the Twinkle Star, which grants wishes, or something like that. Anything more specific than that, your guess is as good as mine. :mrgreen:
ForteMP3

Post by ForteMP3 »

Something else I noticed...The opening FMV for the Saturn version has some girl in glasses with a panda that I have NEVER seen before...Was she some kind of saturn exclusive character? And if so, did she appear in the Dreamcast version as well? Or just the Saturn one?
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

I believe that she only appears in the Saturn version.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

ForteMP3 wrote:Something else I noticed...The opening FMV for the Saturn version has some girl in glasses with a panda that I have NEVER seen before...Was she some kind of saturn exclusive character? And if so, did she appear in the Dreamcast version as well? Or just the Saturn one?
She's a Saturn exclusive. As was that FMV cinema.

The Dreamcast version is a very straightforward port of the Neo-Geo rev. It has 3 modes of emulation (10 Mhz 68K, Neo Geo and DC) and 3 different music types (Cart, Hi-Fi Cart and Neo CD). It does support VGA though and looks damn nice! Pixelly, yes, but very clean.
jiji

Post by jiji »

uwfan

Post by uwfan »

nice price. 8)
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Hopefully SNK PLAYMORE NEO-GEO CONSUMER CORPORATION USA (ok.. despite the fact that it's stupid long, it also has to be all in caps) will retain the on-line play feature.
mannerbot

Post by mannerbot »

As I'm considering importing it, this happens. Wonderful news! My insides feel like happy bunnies.