I DID IT! Share your latest 1CCs/other triumphs here...

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
To Far Away Times

Re: I DID IT! Share your latest 1CCs/other triumphs here...

Post by To Far Away Times »

^^^

Congrats that’s how I did it too. Try to play as well as possible on the first four stages and tank a bunch of hits on the laser wheels section. That section is absolute trash.
Angry Hina

Post by Angry Hina »

Steven wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:27 pm
Angry Hina wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:01 pm it forces you to play on a very specific way if you want to survive.
...so it's just like any other game that isn't made by Compile?
Haha, yeah a bit but there are other games which do accept a more freestyle gameplay and I like, that there are games like that. And I would also say, if a game gives you the ability to change between many weapons, the game should be ideally playable with all of them but whith different strategies. The same for different ships. In R-Type Final you can play the game with all of the many ships but you have to learn different routs for them. In this point, GG Aleste III feals more restrictive.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Angry Hina wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:54 pm
Angry Hina wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:01 pm it forces you to play on a very specific way if you want to survive.
Haha, yeah a bit but there are other games which do accept a more freestyle gameplay and I like, that there are games like that. And I would also say, if a game gives you the ability to change between many weapons, the game should be ideally playable with all of them but whith different strategies. The same for different ships. In R-Type Final you can play the game with all of the many ships but you have to learn different routs for them. In this point, GG Aleste III feals more restrictive.
It's too bad that most of the weapons in this game kind of suck even on Normal and with the kaiteki off. It's probably the weakest aspect of the game. You kind of need A on Special to destroy enemy shots so you don't get overwhelmed, but on Normal there is almost no incentive to ever use anything but C, which is way too powerful and unbalances the game.
Angry Hina

Post by Angry Hina »

Steven wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:22 pm
Angry Hina wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:54 pm
It's too bad that most of the weapons in this game kind of suck even on Normal and with the kaiteki off. It's probably the weakest aspect of the game. You kind of need A on Special to destroy enemy shots so you don't get overwhelmed, but on Normal there is almost no incentive to ever use anything but C, which is way too powerful and unbalances the game.
Thats what I meant. I used C most often as well on normal but at least you could use other weapons without being too weak to complete the game.
locoBro1196

Post by locoBro1196 »

Got a 1cc on Dodonpachi in MAME, my first MAME 1cc too. I played this quite a bit in the arcades back in the day and even though I own the PSX version (which in fact I find harder than Arcade...) and X360 version through Instant Brain, I never really got down to training for the 1cc until this week. Overall it took me less than I expected (save states in MAME are a life saver for training) but it was lots of fun. Dodonpachi really lives up to the hype as one of the defining shooters of all time.

Hours: Overall perhaps around ~15 hours, including training + runs
Controller: 8bitdo SN Pro 2
Ship: C-S
Score: 29,800,270

The key for me was to train stages 1-3 to make it to stage 4 with no miss no bomb, and the 2 life extends. Thereafter I find that what's needed is just to handle some routing in the remaining stages, with 4 being the easiest, 6 is OK (use 2-3 of bombs max), and 5 is long but the slowdown helps a lot. Stage 4 and 6 bosses are manageable (I still spammed bombs on the final boss, I'd take no chances), but stage 5 boss is a real bitch for which I didn't really find any solid strategy, I also think C-S is quite inadequate for that one.

Anyway it was a lot of fun and this is one I'll definitely keep coming back to. I may go for a Toaplan or Raizing 1cc next, or Akai Katana Shin.
Sturmvogel Prime

Post by Sturmvogel Prime »

Finished Graze Counter GM's Ultimate Mode on the highest difficulty.
Lost a few lives, but managed to make a full 1 Credit Clear.
Fan of Transformers, Shmups and Anime-styled Girls. You're teamed up with the right pilot!
Bringing you shmup and video game reviews with humorous criticism.

STG Wikias: Thunder Force Wiki - Wikiheart Exelica - Ginga Force Wiki
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Managed a 2-loop, counterstop clear of Halley Comet. Only 38 years in the making, I think. At this stage, I may try Don Pachi 2-all and and Raystorm with the R-gray 2, and I would basically have cleared all of my shmups grudges (and maybe arcade grudges in general, I dare say).
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Nice job! I love Halley's Comet; a 2-Loop clear is no small feat. And fortunately it works out that if you clear both loops, a counterstop is nearly guaranteed; even if you're scoring low, you'll counterstop it about 2/3 of the way into the first stage of loop 3.

Donpachi is one of those games that's currently eluding me. I've gotten to the TLB fight a couple times, but with no resources remaining. It's tough!
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

I thought of you when finally getting the counter-stop, 'Roo :mrgreen:

Now that I am a senior (44 this year), I tend to prefer earlier shmups with shorter stages and generally more intense pace. This game has tons of stages, but the pace/stage layout is neat and fast (i.e. each stage is possibly no more than 70 seconds, with fast waves and mid-bosses). What prevented me from getting this result until now was patience: a counter-stop is a whole 60 stages and thus around 80 minutes. I confess that I struggle to play for more than 40 minutes without feeling bored/tired/annoyed, these days.

I need to figure out a way to handle the length of the game in Don Pachi...and suicide bullets beyond 2-3. Maybe Raystorm will come first, and maybe I will just close with videogames after these two titles? You know, old age and such :wink:
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
locoBro1196

Post by locoBro1196 »

Randorama wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:36 am I thought of you when finally getting the counter-stop, 'Roo :mrgreen:

Now that I am a senior (44 this year), I tend to prefer earlier shmups with shorter stages and generally more intense pace. This game has tons of stages, but the pace/stage layout is neat and fast (i.e. each stage is possibly no more than 70 seconds, with fast waves and mid-bosses). What prevented me from getting this result until now was patience: a counter-stop is a whole 60 stages and thus around 80 minutes. I confess that I struggle to play for more than 40 minutes without feeling bored/tired/annoyed, these days.

I need to figure out a way to handle the length of the game in Don Pachi...and suicide bullets beyond 2-3. Maybe Raystorm will come first, and maybe I will just close with videogames after these two titles? You know, old age and such :wink:
Congrats on your 1cc! I'm in the same age bracket you are and these days I've got the exact same preferences for shmups (and for videogames in general). I recently completed Donpachi after about 10-15 hours of 'training' and even though I'd recommend it, my suggestion is you try Dodonpachi or Batsugun first, they are more fun overall and can also be completed within 20~25 minutes. I'm now taking a break thinking of what to go for next and may give a shot to Halley's Comet, I have never played it before.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Halley's Comet is awesome. Extremely highly recommended.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

locoBro1196 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:42 amI recently completed Donpachi after about 10-15 hours of 'training' and even though I'd recommend it, my suggestion is you try Dodonpachi or Batsugun first, they are more fun overall and can also be completed within 20~25 minutes.
Dodonpachi's a fun game, but it's at least 45 minutes to clear if you're aiming to clear both loops, and is a considerably tougher nut to crack in that case! We're currently trying to 1CC Donpachi which means both loops, including the super boss at the end of loop 2. Donpachi's a bit different from Dodonpachi in that it loops automatically, whereas Dodonpachi will end after loop 1 unless you clear one of the requirements to activate loop 2.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Thanks locoBro for the wishes and the suggestions. Batsugun, I did a 1-CC on the special version at least once with all characters...twenty years ago on Saturn. Younger, BA student in my hometown, and the only info I had on the game was from GameFAQs (with the almighty SF-like macros, which I posted somewhere on this forum too :wink: ). Right now I am at the other end of the academic pathway, and living in a different continent.

Once I was in Tokyo for a conference and I went to Taito's HEY! (the famous/notorious arcade?), and managed a 1-CC on their cab too (2009). I do think that I will stay true to my review of 20 years ago and go back to the game, sooner or later. Maybe for its 40th anniversary, when I will be 53? (music plays: "welcome to the 40-year grudge quest: Randorama counterstops Batsugun!").

DDP and sequels...too hard for me. Yesterday I managed to reach 2-4 on DonPachi, though, by spamming bombs at every and each risky situation. Suicide bullets follow manageable patterns if the player is down to two lives or so, and 2-4 is the real challenge: enemies are generally positioned in such a way that mismanagement/lack of sealing of suicide bullets can corner the player easily. 2-5 seems more manageable.

I may simply create some save states and practice the relevant stages: the game is really generous with bombs, so this may be a doable swan song for my "commitment" to genre (and to videogaming, I guess). I should develop higher levels of patience, first :wink:

On a different note, and because I am lazy: I cleared each possible path in Darius (world version, which is rather easy), and I am going through this "giant fish marathon" again. There are 64 possible paths in total (...at least according to my calculations), but a 1-CC is a fast, sweet experience. When I think about perfect pacing, I can only think of this game. For me, later games in the saga are all beautiful, but they lose themselves in too long stages or excessively epic boss battles.

Still, I love them all (insert giant heart here).
locoBro1196

Post by locoBro1196 »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:18 pm
locoBro1196 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:42 amI recently completed Donpachi after about 10-15 hours of 'training' and even though I'd recommend it, my suggestion is you try Dodonpachi or Batsugun first, they are more fun overall and can also be completed within 20~25 minutes.
Dodonpachi's a fun game, but it's at least 45 minutes to clear if you're aiming to clear both loops, and is a considerably tougher nut to crack in that case! We're currently trying to 1CC Donpachi which means both loops, including the super boss at the end of loop 2. Donpachi's a bit different from Dodonpachi in that it loops automatically, whereas Dodonpachi will end after loop 1 unless you clear one of the requirements to activate loop 2.
Indeed, when I say I 1cc'ed those, I meant first loop only :P I'm only human, haha...I don't know if I'll ever have the strength to grind for a 2-ALL in this lifetime.
Starfighter

Post by Starfighter »

1CC in Gunbird! My first one in any of the Psikyo games. I didn't quite get along with it though, as I felt I was ready for a 1CC long before actually getting it. Something with the randomness (particularly some of the bosses' RNG and the odd popcorn enemy showing up with bad placements during intense moments). Then again, if I couldn't handle the curve balls I wasn't truly ready I guess. But anyway, it's finally done and I'm staying far away from Gunbird 2 at this point in time. :D
locoBro1196

Post by locoBro1196 »

Starfighter wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:14 pm 1CC in Gunbird! My first one in any of the Psikyo games. I didn't quite get along with it though, as I felt I was ready for a 1CC long before actually getting it. Something with the randomness (particularly some of the bosses' RNG and the odd popcorn enemy showing up with bad placements during intense moments). Then again, if I couldn't handle the curve balls I wasn't truly ready I guess. But anyway, it's finally done and I'm staying far away from Gunbird 2 at this point in time. :D
Wow congrats! I've been playing Gunbird 1 for quite some time but I don't feel anywhere near ready to attempt a 1cc. I find Psikyo games rather hard to get into.

May I ask what platform you used, controller and roughly how many hours it took you to achieve the 1cc?
Angry Hina

Post by Angry Hina »

Cleared yesterday Mushihimesama 1.5 Original. After a bit of training the last two stages the day before and noticing, that the for me hardest part in stage 3 was much easier with the green shot (in 1.0 everyone plays with the blue focussed one, so did I), I just wanted to try how far I will go now. Wasnt too focused at moments so I didnt collect the amber of the stage 1 boss, thrown a bomb against nothing in stage 2 and so on... but it went great and the 1cc was there but it looks a bit sloppy ^^;

Will record it later today but will try a more "professional" run... But often the next good run after something like that comes not as fast as one might expect ^^
Starfighter

Post by Starfighter »

locoBro1196 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:15 amWow congrats! I've been playing Gunbird 1 for quite some time but I don't feel anywhere near ready to attempt a 1cc. I find Psikyo games rather hard to get into.

May I ask what platform you used, controller and roughly how many hours it took you to achieve the 1cc?
Thank you! :) I started playing on Switch because I felt as if the bullets were a bit slower on there (Perhaps "Normal" on the Switch version is easier than the arcade original? It certainly felt like that.) but the input delay became too much of a problem in the later stages. I then went to play my Saturn copy of the game but I don't have a comfortable setup for that system at the moment, same goes for my PS1 (I have the weirdly named PAL version :D), so I started playing on my PC (Retroarch 7) with my HRAP4 Kai stick. I believe I put around 3-4 hours into segment- and boss practice and then maybe 15-20 tries at a full run before beating it, so all in all roughly around 8-9 hours!
eksratu

Post by eksratu »

Angry Hina wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:47 am Cleared yesterday Mushihimesama 1.5 Original. After a bit of training the last two stages the day before and noticing, that the for me hardest part in stage 3 was much easier with the green shot (in 1.0 everyone plays with the blue focussed one, so did I), I just wanted to try how far I will go now. Wasnt too focused at moments so I didnt collect the amber of the stage 1 boss, thrown a bomb against nothing in stage 2 and so on... but it went great and the 1cc was there but it looks a bit sloppy ^^;

Will record it later today but will try a more "professional" run... But often the next good run after something like that comes not as fast as one might expect ^^
Congrats! I think 1.5 Original is one of my favorites to just go back to, and I remember clearing it for the first time (also with the green shot!).
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

That took me 2 weeks and 57 hours of full run + practice, it's worth it at least. Chitta is really the worst ship in the game, seconding Flying Baron (ironically he's OP in Batrider).
Last edited by copy-paster on Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Congrats! I always thought Chitta was fun to use somehow even if a bit handicapped. My inner masochist?

Next up Gunbird 2 Hei-Cob 2-ALL? :lol:
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Rastan78 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:43 pm Congrats! I always thought Chitta was fun to use somehow even if a bit handicapped. My inner masochist?

Next up Gunbird 2 Hei-Cob 2-ALL? :lol:
LOL thanks for the suggestion but Psikyo/Cave 2-ALLs are beyond my skills, and I generally don't like loops/revenge bullets. For now I just wanna do some chill shmups before going to the next big goal....
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Lol yeah I was kind of joking bc GB2 is so difficult and Hei-Cob is extremely nerfed compared to other ships. Its like for those who think Chitta and Baron are weak there is always Hei-Cob watching and waiting for you at the next levels of hell.

Always have respect for those clears with the underdog ships tho
Jonster

Post by Jonster »

After getting the Mushihimesame Original 1CC last week I've been giving the 1.5 mode a run through. I was noticing the S-shot was really struggling in the part on stage 3 after the first power up collection, so I gave M-shot a try instead and got the clear first go. Now to decide if I go for maniac or play something else instead.

Also got a no miss in Omake on Espgaldua 2 last night, there's just something really fun about that mode that has had me run through it a few times recently.
Creamy Goodness

Post by Creamy Goodness »

Got the 1cc in Donpachi. I was heavily into playing the US version when I found out the JP version is generally the preferred version due to the difficulty. But since I was already invested in the game I just ran with it. And I gotta say I rather enjoy DP's OST. It really reminds me of late 70's/early 80's action movies. Like it could be the OST for Iron Eagle 7 or something like that.

And this crossed two things off my shmup bucket list. Finally clearing this game which was one of the first I played when I got into shmups. It is also my 5th Cave clear along with Mushi Original, Deathsmiles, DDP Resurrection, and Akai Katana.
Last edited by Creamy Goodness on Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Congrats Creamy Goodness! Hopefully I will join the club soon. I need to increase my stamina, as I tend to lose focus after the 30-minutes mark.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Got the no-miss on G-Darius' Mu route! I want to do it again ASAP, though, mainly because I didn't get the alpha beam finish against Heavy Arms Shell, despite nailing it in every practice session.

(HD video will be available in an hour or so...)
locoBro1196

Post by locoBro1196 »

I'm not sure it counts as such, but got a 1CC on Kingdom Grand Prix (1st loop only). Took only 2 hours of practice, basically just use Miyamoto, homing weapon and the suggested path in https://shmups.wiki/library/Shippu_Maho ... sen/Guides. I don't think I will ever attempt a complete 2 loop 1cc as I'm even struggling to make it top 4 in stage 1 and I find the racing mechanics quite confusing. However, this game is great fun, really had a blast going for this 1CC.
Angry Hina

Post by Angry Hina »

Jonster wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:42 pm After getting the Mushihimesame Original 1CC last week I've been giving the 1.5 mode a run through. I was noticing the S-shot was really struggling in the part on stage 3 after the first power up collection, so I gave M-shot a try instead and got the clear first go. Now to decide if I go for maniac or play something else instead.

Also got a no miss in Omake on Espgaldua 2 last night, there's just something really fun about that mode that has had me run through it a few times recently.
The same for me. Very stange, that you all of the sudden needed the M Shot but its nice you have to adjust a little bit. I dont want to but the game aside just jet and therefor will try to beat Maniac for 1.0 and 1.5.