I DID IT! Share your latest 1CCs/other triumphs here...

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Jeneki

Re: I DID IT! Share your latest 1CCs/other triumphs here...

Post by Jeneki »

Got a 1cc in NES Section Z today.

While not a super difficult game (once I drew a map), it's a big deal to me since this is the first game I ever purchased with my own money, but never finished it. I've had that game 29 years, fuuuuuuuck what took me so long. Also that little bastard in my sig locked up the NES once by sending a static shock up the controller cable.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
The Armchair General

Post by The Armchair General »

^^ Uwaaaa..... congrats man, truly a top-tier. 8)

Haven't touched DOJ WL for a while, mid-stage 4 still haunts me.
Thanks. Mid-stage 4 can be a run killer but I would say the stage 4 boss is much worse. It feels like that guy kills 40% of my runs that make it to him.
Good job on that: 100m is actually quite decent, it at least definitely requires more effort than just getting the clear.
I also cleared WL recently and after that it still took me quite a few hours practice to get my first run with over 100m.
The picture I posted is of my A-EX DOJ BL 1CC which makes it much less impressive (not that it's that impressive in WL either). Months ago I did do some DOJ WL scoring and I pulled off a 1CC with the score of 125 mil so 101 mil isn't a PB anyway.
Great! You going to try and improve your scores or are you kind of done with it?
Yep, I'm definitely going back to improve my scores. In fact, I want to one day 2-all DOJ WL though it's going to be a vey long time before I even attempt that :lol:
descriptive

Post by descriptive »

The Armchair General wrote:^^^^

Congrats Omokol

After seeing DOJ come up a whole lot in the recent "Favorite Cave Game?" thread as well as the recent 2-ALL, It made me want to get back into it. After playing it every night this week I have a whole bunch of DOJ accomplishments:

1. I got my first A-EXY clear in DOJ WL. The more important goal that was accomplished here is that I managed to NO MISS the stage portion of Stage 5. This is mostly due to some insane b̶u̶l̶l̶s̶h̶i̶t̶l̶u̶c̶k̶c̶a̶v̶e̶d̶o̶d̶g̶e̶s̶ "skill" in the honeycomb section as well as at the end of the stage.

2. I got a A-EX DOJ BL run that made it to 2-3. Before this run I had only made it to 2-2.

3. I got my first B-EX DOJ BL 1CC which also made it to 2-3. I got my first 2-1 NO MISS in the run.

4. Last night I got a B-EX DOJ WL 1CC that made it into the loop.

Unfortunately, the scores for all of these run were very low :(

congrats!The Armchair General!
Omoko - too!

Anyway,I think this game doesn't need much "skill" in the honeycomb.The fourth “Mamorutsume”(the big enemy looks like the bee)&the sixth “Mamorutsume” doesn't need to shot down if not chaining,I think if you can try to use hyper to deal with the second “Mamorutsume”(the last “Mamorutsume” can use the same method like Tame),maybe you will find that will be easier.

Full chain the 1-1&1-2 can get near 100million(use 2+5hyper or 4+4hyper in 1-2&get 28.6million in 1-1),if use hyper like 1(begining)+1(mid-boss)+1(when get the last hyper),also can get 80million,if without the last hyper,this hyper can be used in 1-2boss,and the score will also be 78million,and you can just use 1hyper at 1-1 to get 24million,and you can use 2hyper&1bomb(after the hyper gauge is full,when used bomb during the hyper,the hyper rank will decrease 3 for each bomb,(when first miss,if the hyper rank doesn't reach 4, it will be turn to zero,if greater than 4,the hyper rank will be divided by 4),and full chain the 1-5(just full chain,just get 2hyper at the begining of the 1-5,just have 2600hits),can get near 300million,the most efficient way to get score is just to care about full chaining the 1-5.

So I think if not seek to nmnb(the maximum score until the 2-5boss is just approximately 200million)&full chain until the 2-5(contain the 1-3&2-3 of WL),you can use bomb or even miss to make the rank more low to be more efficient(especially during the hyper).If the rank is low,you will find the 1-4boss much easier and the honeycomb is the same(if you watched my input file you can find the 1-4boss doesn't need any "dodging",also the 1-1boss to 1-5boss)

When defeated the 2-1 of WL,you will reached the 2-5 soon,the remainning is just the "Proficiency"
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

Harpuia wrote:The first Strikers was definitely the harder game for me because it doesn't have a default stage order, and the random midboss/boss combo on stage 7. In Strikers II the only RNG I need to worry about is the stage 7 midboss, one of which I've leaned how to dodge and the other I can just bomb through.
I thought Strikers 1945 II also had a random stage order, just like every (?) Psikyo game. There are some ways to fix this order, of course (at least some of the PS2 ports enable the player to pick the stages as he sees fit; making a savestate in MAME at the beginning of a run), but aren't all of their games randomized in a general manner of speaking?
Jeneki wrote:Got a 1cc in NES Section Z today.

While not a super difficult game (once I drew a map), it's a big deal to me since this is the first game I ever purchased with my own money, but never finished it. I've had that game 29 years, fuuuuuuuck what took me so long. Also that little bastard in my sig locked up the NES once by sending a static shock up the controller cable.
That's cool! I actually never played the NES port, it must be vastly different from the arcade game if you need a map for it, though, since the latter is completely linear. Sounds interesting, however. :)

Can't contribute to the DOJ talk here, unfortunately, so I'm going to raise the quota of crusty old games instead. :P

I'm pretty proud of my Salamander and Life Force 3-ALLs, although it would've been nice if I were able to get just a few points more in Salamander so that I could get the first place in that one, too (maybe I return one day). While there's a lot to enjoy in both games (particularly the amazingly cheesy voice samples and the great music) I would recommend anyone to go for the PCE Salamander in place of these, Konami evidently mended a lot of the things that were faulty and unpolished in the earlier releases (the hit detection, the useless shield, the bizarre dichotomoy of instant respawn and impossible recoveries etc.). It's difficult to get consistent at the arcade games, making it frustrating to play them for multiple loops since you never know what random thing might kill you off, finishing your entire credit in the process. I had my fair share of highly aggravating moments with both of these.

Had quite a bit of fun afterwards with E.D.F.: Earth Defense Force. It's what I like to call a "vertical in disguise" (meaning that even though it scrolls horizontally there's almost no terrain to handle which is usually a core trait of a classic horizontal shooter), and a rather good one at that. The quirky hit detection and the slow speed of the ship may require some time getting used to, some of the enemy waves are a tad repetitive as well (like the appearance of four identical mid-sized enemies before the fourth boss), but it allows for some unique and interesting approaches depending on how you like to play (regarding the weaponry and your preference regarding memorization/execution). It's a fairly tough game, too, you can easily get hit once or twice in chaotic situations, jeopardizing the entire run.
Harpuia

Post by Harpuia »

Perikles wrote:I thought Strikers 1945 II also had a random stage order, just like every (?) Psikyo game. There are some ways to fix this order, of course (at least some of the PS2 ports enable the player to pick the stages as he sees fit; making a savestate in MAME at the beginning of a run), but aren't all of their games randomized in a general manner of speaking?
Early Psikyo games are always randomized, but the later ones (including Strikers II) have a default stage order that the game will use when you first start it up, at least for the arcade versions, I don't know how it is in the console ports. So, if I fail a run in Strikers II and put in a new credit, the levels will be randomized, but not if I just exit out of the game and start it up again. Does using a save-state at the beginning of a run in those earlier Psikyo games actually keep the same stage order though? If so, is that generally considered an okay thing to do?
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

Perikles wrote:
Harpuia wrote:The first Strikers was definitely the harder game for me because it doesn't have a default stage order, and the random midboss/boss combo on stage 7. In Strikers II the only RNG I need to worry about is the stage 7 midboss, one of which I've leaned how to dodge and the other I can just bomb through.
I thought Strikers 1945 II also had a random stage order, just like every (?) Psikyo game. There are some ways to fix this order, of course (at least some of the PS2 ports enable the player to pick the stages as he sees fit; making a savestate in MAME at the beginning of a run), but aren't all of their games randomized in a general manner of speaking?
First stages (either 3 or 4) are always randomized in all (?) Psikyo games.

The midboss/boss in stage 7 of the first Strikers is not random. With certain positioning you can trigger the desired combination. It's the same in Strikers 99 for the stage 6 boss. However, the midboss in Strikers 45 II stage 7 is completely random for a change.
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
pegboy

Post by pegboy »

The Strikers II console parts have completely random stage order, even on initial bootup. You cannot select a starting stage order in any of the ports. Of course these fucking ports have all sorts of other issues that ruin them as I've ranted about in the past.

Strikers II arcade has a fixed stage order on bootup (applies to loop 2 as well):
Sky -> Sea -> Desert -> Town

I would argue that the bootup stage order is the hardest possible order you can get. I could go into the reasons why but it basically boils down to having the town stage earlier on is better since you need a ton of bombs for it (at least for loop 2). The default stage ordering puts the town stage in the worst possible position (stage 4). If you really want a 2-ALL on the initial stage order you pretty much have to no-miss everything to 2-4 to stand much of a chance.

For a loop 1 clear only I don't think the random stage order makes any difference whatsoever.

Using a save state in MAME will preserve the stage ordering because it is fixed after you start the credit. I initially tried to do this but there was enough backlash with people calling it cheating that I abandoned the idea and just played the default order.
Erppo

Post by Erppo »

pegboy wrote:Strikers II arcade has a fixed stage order on bootup (applies to loop 2 as well):
Sky -> Sea -> Desert -> Town

I would argue that the bootup stage order is the hardest possible order you can get.
I would probably agree, which is why I don't see using the fixed order as a big problem. Town is clearly the hardest stage and having it as 2-4 complicates things somewhat. The sky stage is also probably the easiest one so it just serves pushing the hard parts further into the game. Also as a small extra point, the sky stage has no gold items, so it's kind of wasted as 1-1, since collecting them would be the easiest there.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Strikers II onwards (Strikers II and III, Gunbird 2, Space Bomber, Dragon Blaze) have fixed stage order on bootup, and Space Bomber has fixed order on every play. Sengoku Ace/Blade, Gunbird, and Strikers 1945 are random on bootup. I'm not sure what the case is for Sol Divide, Pilot Kids, Zero Gunner 1/2, Gunspike/Cannon Spike, or Strikers 1945 Plus.

In Dragon Blaze some stage orders have a higher score potential than the bootup stage order, but I think the consistency of a fixed stage order is more valuable until you get to a very high level of play.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Tarma

Post by Tarma »

1cc'd W:The Double Rings on PCE... on the first play thru! This game must be too easy... a 1cc on first sitting is a very rare feat for me!! :lol:
chempop

Post by chempop »

Played a bit of DOJ and Ketsui on 360 this week, hadn't played either much in a few years or so. Mainly wanted to see how the difficulty compared to SDOJ. Got a quick 1-All with A-Exy, and 1-All with Tiger and Panzer (first time ever with Panzer for arcade mode, +80mil).

Verdict, SDOJ 1CC w shot/laser is much harder than either DOJ or Ketsui (1-All).
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

finally got the expert hibachi clear, the hardest part was making it past the st5 boss with 1 miss at most
I think I failed to get to hibachi by 1 hit 6+ times, thankfully I beat her the first time I reached her
CloudyMusic

Post by CloudyMusic »

Congrats.
Jaimers

Post by Jaimers »

Giant congrats yeah.

Been messing around with Futari Ultra and 1cc'd with the extends set at every 80M.
Was pretty easy so I guess I should probably try to clear this game for real.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Nice work, guys! Looking forward to seeing what you can with Futari Ultra on default settings, Jaimers. Bananamatic, you going to shoot for the Expert Hibachi clear with overflow?

After lots of close attempts I finally no-missed the first loop of Dragon Blaze. And then I lost all 7 of my bombs in stock at the start of 2-1. :oops: Second loop is ridiculous, I'm still nowhere near any significant progress with that.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Lyv

Post by Lyv »

Shepardus wrote:After lots of close attempts I finally no-missed the first loop of Dragon Blaze. And then I lost all 7 of my bombs in stock at the start of 2-1. :oops: Second loop is ridiculous, I'm still nowhere near any significant progress with that.
Playing Ian in the second loop makes the game significantly harder, since you have basically no room for mistakes. You can't really bomb to get out of tricky situations most of the time, and the bomb is terrible at clearing the screen, so you end up with impossible configurations at the slightest positioning error. Dying once can pretty much end your run too ; it's also the case with other characters, but more so with Ian.
It's a good character, but very hard to play. You'll have a much easier time with any of the other three.
My hat off to you if you stick with it though !
Brainpalace

Post by Brainpalace »

CONGRATULATIONS!
It was wonderful!
Your fight was splendid!
Let's try ADVANCED course!

It's an Armed Police Batrider normal clear. This game is just absolutely awesome and even though its just a normal course clear, it is still my first arcade clear.

Now I need to beat the other half of the game.
chempop

Post by chempop »

Congrats Brainpalace! Batrider normal is a good starting point for Yagawa games.

Speaking of YGW, I haven't played this in ages, but I quickly got a new PB :D

"B for BOMBA!!!"

"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
CloudyMusic

Post by CloudyMusic »

Nice one, guys!
yorgje

Post by yorgje »

Today I got a 1cc in Touhou 11: Subterranean Animism with shot type ReimuA on the Normal difficulty, finishing with a score of 109m.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

yorgje wrote:Today I got a 1cc in Touhou 11: Subterranean Animism with shot type ReimuA on the Normal difficulty, finishing with a score of 109m.
Dude nice
vvv_stg

Post by vvv_stg »

yorgje wrote:Today I got a 1cc in Touhou 11: Subterranean Animism with shot type ReimuA on the Normal difficulty, finishing with a score of 109m.
Nice one! How long have you been playing Touhou so far?
yorgje

Post by yorgje »

vvv_stg wrote:
Nice one! How long have you been playing Touhou so far?
I've been playing various games in the series intensively for maybe 3-4 years now.
chempop

Post by chempop »

FINALLY got the midi milk with Dyne and ended up with nearly 5mil at the start of st3 :D
ooze9

Post by ooze9 »

Final Soldier (PCE CD). An easy, but very satisfying game. The breckneck fast ships allow you to move quickly to avoid lethal projectiles. Love the music and the background-colours.
Jonst

Post by Jonst »

chempop wrote:Congrats Brainpalace! Batrider normal is a good starting point for Yagawa games.

Speaking of YGW, I haven't played this in ages, but I quickly got a new PB :D

"B for BOMBA!!!"

Nice one chempop! I love this game, but damn, I've got no consistency with it... Even at low rank!
"Just fire and forget" 1cc List
chempop

Post by chempop »

Thanks! I was happy with the Run, now I'm working on clearing/score with Dyne (all four types).
Being consistent with Ibara, well I don't think that's exactly how it works :lol:
Jonst

Post by Jonst »

Haha! Thanks for the tip! :wink:

I mean, sometimes, I can get in to stage 5 other times I game over at the stage 4 midboss... I don't know whether to play for low score/rank survival or try and score...
chempop

Post by chempop »

I'd try to score a bit the first 2 stages at least, getting the 4mil extend in stage 3 is a good goal imho. It'll set you up for the rest of the game with lower rank than if you just try to survive. Then in st4 you can suicide back down to zero lives and get the 5 mil and midboss extend and you should have plenty of hadous for st5 (since you'll likely only use one towards the end of st4).
Jonst

Post by Jonst »

Thanks man, I'll try it. My scoring in stage 1 is still a bit crap. But gradually improving. I've just had my best run, by sort of using the technique you mention... 4.2 mil (my personal best) and not far off beating the stage 5 boss... Progress of sorts for me!