Wivern Wings (Wyvern Wings)

A forum for saving and showing off all your hi scores
Despatche

Wivern Wings (Wyvern Wings)

Post by Despatche »

ImageImage

There was an earlier thread here, but the reasons for ignoring it are obvious.

Redwivern is definitely allowed; press Start on the random select to highlight it.
----------
Please post scores in this format:

Code: Select all

GAME - SHIP
NAME - SCORE - STAGE - AUTOFIRE - DETAILS
Please indicate which emulator build and program version you may have used. I can only hope the two sets of Wyvern Wings do not have differences between each other.

1. Emuser      - 1,000,210 - 2-2 - Yes - MAME
 2. DocHauser   -   570,700 - 1-6 - Yes - ShmupMAME v2.2
Thunderfox XYF-O1B

1. Emuser      - 1,902,400 - ALL - Yes - MAME
 2. Despatche   -   430,800 - 1-5 - Yes - MAME
Bearhammer XB6-XB

1. Emuser      -   632,000 - 1-7 - Yes - MAME
Hellhound XRA-2B

1. Emuser      - 1,829,500 - 2-7 - Yes - MAME
 2. NTSC-J      -   778,400 - 2-1 - Yes - MAME
 3. RNGmaster   -   669,500 - 1-7 - Yes - MAME
 4. Nifty       -   627,000 - 1-7 - Yes - MAME
 5. DocHauser   -   580,900 - 1-6 - Yes - ShmupMAME v2.2
Redwyvern XX-010

1. Emuser      -   798,200 - 2-1 - Yes - MAME
 2. Frenetic    -   368,100 - 1-4 - Yes - ShmupMAME
 3. Aru-san     -   360,600 - 1-4 - Yes - ShmupMAME
Last edited by Despatche on Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:06 am, edited 16 times in total.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
DocHauser

Re: Wyvern Wings [Arcade]

Post by DocHauser »

I might give this a try later. Is it still without sound in MAME?
DocHauser

Post by DocHauser »

OK, still no sound... Not a great score here, but ok for a first attempt:

Hellhound XRA-2B
DocHauser - 368,500 - Stage 4 - Autofire: Yes - MAME

Got to the stage 4 boss, where the Psikyo-esque bullet-patterns start getting a bit more hectic. Don't seem to be any secrets to the scoring that I've noticed - just kill as much as possible and collect the medals (or whatever they are). I think you get bonus points for collecting the 'P' or 'U' icons if you're already fully powered-up.
DocHauser

Post by DocHauser »

Popular game this... anyway, a couple more scores for now:

Stingrey XY-O1
DocHauser - 391,900 - 1-4 - Yes - MAME

Hellhound XRA-2B
DocHauser - 411,300 - 1-4 - Yes - MAME
Frenetic

Post by Frenetic »

Am digging these Korean shmups. Thanks to my buddy Akraten for turning me on to the Korean gaming article on Hardcoregaming101 http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/korea/

Redwyvern XX-010
Frenetic - 323,500 - 1-4 - Yes - MAME
(We can use Redwyvern right? Is it unlisted because we can't or because you haven't found the ship yet? Redwyvern is selectable by going to the random select and then pressing start, then the A button. Hope this helps!)
RNGmaster

Post by RNGmaster »

Extends are at 500000. I just got there but don't want to post my score yet.
Nifty

Post by Nifty »

Hellhound XRA-2B
DoubleThink - 586,400 - 1-6 - Yes - MAME

This game is great :D
WOO YEAH (this was from a practice run)

Any word on whether or not powering down lowers the rank like in Psikyo? Things get pretty crazy around stage 4.
Live to fly, fly to live, it's all very orthodox
Aru-san

Post by Aru-san »

Redwyvern XX-010
Aru-san - 360,600 - 1-4 - Yes - SHMUPMAME
[ Wonder Force IV -sorry Frenetic :c- ]
Frenetic

Post by Frenetic »

Nice to get some friendly competition in Aru-san!

Redwyvern XX-010
Frenetic - 368,100 - 1-4 - Yes - Shmupmame
NTSC-J

Post by NTSC-J »

It's Wyvern Wings week here at shmups.com!

Hellhound XRA-2B
NTSC-J - 778,400 - 2-1 - Yes - MAME

Pretty easy game, but 5 of the 7 stages being in random order is kind of dirty.
RNGmaster

Post by RNGmaster »

Whoa, nice score!

I got a really nice run courtesy of the Hellhound (what a cheap plane; takes down bosses so quick) but unfortunately got hit by mistake on Stage 5. And when you die it's just SO damn hard to recover all the lost charges/bombs/power...

Seriously demoralizing stuff here.

Here's my contribution:

Hellhound XRA-2B
RNGmaster - 669,500 - 1-7 - Yes - MAME

Those rockets in 1-7 really surprised me. Fun game though. :V
Emuser

Post by Emuser »

Bearhammer XB6-XB
Emuser - 632,000 - 1-7 - Yes - Mame

I first played this on a cruise many years ago before I really got into shmups, played the hell out of it. Only recently did this game get some sound even if its still preliminary, but I've waited years for this to happen so I hopped online and got everything I needed to play it in a heartbeat once I became aware of it.

First impressions after playing it for the first time in years:
This is clearly a korean S99. 2-3 of the ships are clones from the source game. There isn't really any technical scoring to be had, just collect any medals that fall to the bottom of the screen and do your best to stay alive so that you get extra points for powerup pickups at max power.

After a test run with each ship, opinions on each:

Stingrey: Unfortunately, this is another game where the stats on the select screen lie. I tested this since Stingrey seemed a little slow for being the 2nd fastest of the default 4 ships and it turns out that Hellhound is indeed faster than Stingrey and this thing is barely faster than Bearhammer. A bit disappointing once I realized this, but like the Hornet in S99 this thing has homing missiles so its not difficult to get the hang of. The special bomb has some noticeable spread unfortunately so getting good damage with it on big enemies might be difficult.

Thunderfox: My personal favorite, but how good it actually is is debatable. On one hand, it has the highest speed of all the ships which would be important for anyone trying to optimize their score in this game. It has a good special bomb too and a barrier like Stingrey and Hellhound that it can abuse a bit more than them thanks to higher speed. Unfortunately the shot is weak and fires more slowly than the other ships. I still love this thing to death though and plan on sticking with it till the end.

Bearhammer: This thing really lives up to its name...giant as a bear, hits hard like a hammer(not sure if bigger hitbox or not though). It is strong as hell with a barrier that acts more like a traditional bomb and a special bomb that straight up rapes whatever it hits assuming its at level 3. Thats where the pros end though, as it is the slowest ship and has no spread to speak of, everything it does shoots in a linear direction in front of Bearhammer. Not a ship to main or use seriously because of lack of spread, but being able to decimate some enemies is fun enough to use it every once in a while I would imagine.

Hellhound: Like the Stealth ship from S99, without a doubt the best ship in the game. Best damage, decent speed(the stats lie, its actually faster than Stingrey), and some spread to boot as well. It has a typical barrier thats the same as Stingrey and Thunderfox barriers, but the special bomb isn't particularly powerful. What it sacrifices in big damage to a single target it makes up for by covering the entire screen with pelting bullets in case you don't want to use/can't use a final impact. Best ship overall, no serious flaws.

Red Wyvern: This thing is like the X-36 from S99 but not nearly as game-breakingly dominant as the X-36. Red Wyvern is basically an alternate version of Stingrey with a stronger focused special bomb and a barrier that covers a wide range in front of Red Wyvern and moves up the screen a bit before disappearing. It has some nice speed to boot being a tad bit slower than Thunderfox, but it is the weakest ship against big enemies and bosses so using it is basically for those who want to endure extra punishment since this thing can't deal the damage against bosses fast enough without spamming bombs and barriers.

In terms of personally ranking the ships (update 2):
Hellhound > Thunderfox > Stingrey > Red Wyvern = Bearhammer
Last edited by Emuser on Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nifty

Post by Nifty »

The Thunderfox fires so slowly that at first I'd wondered if it had been misprogrammed. Also, I tested powering down a while back and it didn't appear to affect rank at all.
Emuser

Post by Emuser »

Got several scores to post here:

ImageImage
ImageImage

Stingrey XY-01
Emuser - 1,000,210 - 2-2 - Yes - Mame

Red Wyvern XX-010
Emuser - 798,200 - 2-1 - Yes - Mame

Hellhound XRA-2B
Emuser - 1,829,500 - 2-7 - Yes - Mame

Couple of notes:
1. Red Wyvern turned out to be much worse than I originally thought and very disappointing. Turns out Red Wyvern is basically the weakest ship against big enemies and bosses so it turns ugly real fast trying to do extra work to stay alive.

2. Hellhound is god. Anyone pursuing a clear in this game in the future needs to stick to this ship as it will make things immensely easier. The Hellhound score on the 2nd row shows that me and the 2-7 boss double KO'd. I'm pissed that I still had a barrier I could've used too
Last edited by Emuser on Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Emuser

Post by Emuser »

Bump for 2-ALL clear:

Thunderfox XYF-01B
Emuser - 1,902,400 - 2-ALL - Yes - Mame

Shame that it only leaves the stage display as a blank space :(
Nifty

Post by Nifty »

Another improvement (Hellhound XRA-2B, formerly under "DoubleThink"):

Nifty - 627,000 - 1-7 - Yes - MAME

DocHauser

Post by DocHauser »

Might as well update with my scores from the tournament, just to get rid of my other rubbish scores...

Stingrey XY-O1
DocHauser - 570,700 - 1-6 - Yes - Shmupmame 2.2

Hellhound XRA-2B
DocHauser - 580,900 - 1-6 - Yes - Shmupmame 2.2
Despatche

Re: Wivern Wings (Wyvern Wings)

Post by Despatche »

So nowadays we have a "Wivern Wings" set which is presumably the original Korean release. Turns out Wivern defaults to Normal difficulty. Sigh.

I'm not sure why I didn't answer the multiple questions asked here, so:

Sound sorta works nowadays? MAME labels it as "imperfect", which usually means "incredibly obvious audio bugs". Of course, I don't have a PCB to test this against.

You absolutely can use the Redwivern. I'm pretty sure Frenetic's post was the moment I discovered it, at least. The code works the same in both versions: highlight the random select, press Start to reveal the ship, then press a button to select it.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!