RQ: Gunbird stage 6

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
sjewkestheloon

RQ: Gunbird stage 6

Post by sjewkestheloon »

ok i can pretty much consistently get to stage 6 now on Gunbird but it just keeps beating me into the ground... i've managed to complete it once or twice in practise mode but that's with a full complement of two lives and two bombs each life. almost every area seems to have a spread or situation which has a high chance of eating me for breakfast. anyone have any suggestions??

i would appreciate it if someone better than me could give me a few tips or even point me in the direction of a superplay of this section. having credit fed (well 2 0r 3 not exactly feeding) up to the last stage i can do it pretty easily so this is the last big hurdle i feel and then i'll be able to proclaim a psikyo 1cc (and smug i will be :) )
Kiken

Re: RQ: Gunbird stage 6

Post by Kiken »

sjewkestheloon wrote:ok i can pretty much consistently get to stage 6 now on Gunbird but it just keeps beating me into the ground... i've managed to complete it once or twice in practise mode but that's with a full complement of two lives and two bombs each life. almost every area seems to have a spread or situation which has a high chance of eating me for breakfast. anyone have any suggestions??

i would appreciate it if someone better than me could give me a few tips or even point me in the direction of a superplay of this section. having credit fed (well 2 0r 3 not exactly feeding) up to the last stage i can do it pretty easily so this is the last big hurdle i feel and then i'll be able to proclaim a psikyo 1cc (and smug i will be :) )
Stage 6 is rather hectic, and definitely more difficult that stage 7. Most of the level boils down to a lot of pre-emptive attacking (kill stuff as soon as it's an active target).

If you like, I can repost my older first-loop clear of the game (I got really sloppy in stage 7 and lost 2 men rather pointlessly) using Yan Nang.
sjewkestheloon

Post by sjewkestheloon »

yeah definately mate i'd love to watch a loop for strategy on the entire game. i might be able to tighten up my play on the few spots that i occasionally catch me out. cheers kiken - i think i've seen a few of your different replays over sites in the past and they seem to be pretty ace
sjewkestheloon

Post by sjewkestheloon »

sorry man i've tried getting this and i can't on my pc. my connection is crap, i can't gett he download as a resume enabled thing, and it's dropped my end 4 times at about 90% completion.... grrr.

looks like i'll just have to stick with it and see if i can do the stage a few hundred more times. any advice anyone?
TVG

Post by TVG »

what part gives you trouble?

and most importantly, what char are you playing? the strategies used with tetsu would slightly differ from a super fast char with an instant panic bomb and a bullet-cancelling charge shot.

well ill try to describe how i handle this stage with tetsu.

as the stage begins i destroy the pillars as fast as possible, this part is not hard if you hoard bullets a bit.

then, comes the 3 rotating pillars. dont shoot while they rotate. when they unite, damage the pillar on the front without destroying it, then stop shooting until they are done rotating again.
now, two pillars will be shootable, try to destroy them at the same time, since you damaged that other pillar before, just a couple shots will kill him and you can move to the next area.

this area is hell with tetsu since he's slow, but all i can say is to move alot, to destroy those things that spray bullets as fast as you can and to hoard bullets to have a clear path.

then, midboss, i cant really put into words how to dodge his pattern, but you might either want to destroy the two side pillars first or to kill him quickly, do as you like.

then its the balls that release sucide bullets section, i cant relly describe that either, just shoot them and dodge the sucide bullets, try to nt destroy too much at once.

then the boss:

first form (dragon head) is hard if you dont know how to handle it, place yourself slightly to the right of the middle of the screen, as the little guys fire at you, keep doing small taps to the left of the screen, when you arrive to the bottom left of the screen, the small guys will be destroyed and the dragon head will be to the other side shooting you from theree, just dodge his stuff and destroy him.

second form (either the fish or some other things, its random) is easy, and since my strategy is just "destroy him as fast as possible" no matter what it is, i cant really help.

third form (the skull) is easy too, just dont sit in front of him when he shoots that very fast forward spray.

last form (the dragon) has only 1 attack pattern, it shoots at you, dont move at first but move after the first couple shots have passed. i dont know if thats clear enough, the pattern doesnt kill you if you dont move at first, only the last couple of shots are aimed at you, so move out of the way once the first ones have gone behind you.

of course you can bomb the shit out of this stage as i did when i 1CCed the game, but that's up to you.

see also my post in the highscore thread for a little scoring trick.
sjewkestheloon

Post by sjewkestheloon »

i'm using yuan-nang at the min but my problem seems to be that whereas every level before has simple bits followed by tough spots, this seems to be one big tough spot. the damn final dragon boss is a right beast... don't really understand what you mean about his shot pattern but i'll have a few plays through in practise mode to try and get the pattern down.
sjewkestheloon

Post by sjewkestheloon »

ok i can now get to the level 6 final boss dragon dude and he destroys me every time. tried doing what is suggested above and moving last min but i always seem to plow straight into the final bullets no matter what.... grrr doing my bloody head in! anyone have a replay of just stage 6 that would be light on my limited bandwidth? or any alternative strategies?