Good lord, CRTs are heavy...

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
evil_ash_xero

Good lord, CRTs are heavy...

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Useless thread, but I was just able to snag two brand new 27 inch crts with component input. ooh yeah.

Unfortunately, they both weigh close to 100 pounds. So, i'm all lugging them up the stairs and it's messing me up a bit. But it's worth it, dammit.
antron

Re: Good lord, CRTs are heavy...

Post by antron »

yeah, I've been seeing those EDTV's all over craigslist. especially 27" samsungs.
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

Only 100 lbs? You should try lifting our 50" RP CRT. >.>;

Given I'm not exactly the muscular type, I think if I were to obtain more CRTs, I'd probably stick to 19" or smaller simply because I wouldn't need an extra pair of hands to move them. We already have a couple of 32" CRTs in use around the house, and I'm probably selling off my 29" PVM locally.

EDIT: Took another look, got the sizes of my TVs wrong.
Last edited by StarCreator on Thu May 27, 2010 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
njiska

Post by njiska »

34" 16x9 1080i Trinitron (206 lbs.)
26" 16x9 480i Toshiba
24.8" Tri-Mode Arcade Monitor for a cab i'm building.
2x 21" Dell-branded Trinitrons
19" Sun Trinitron
2x 17" Crap CRT
13" Crap TV
Thinking about buying a 39" Tri-mode to build a lightgun cab.

I love my tube collection, but god damn all that stuff is a bitch to move, especially upstairs. In short, i feel your pain.
Look at our friendly members:
MX7 wrote:I'm not a fan of a racist, gun nut brony puking his odious and uninformed arguments over every thread that comes up.
Drum wrote:He's also a pederast. Presumably.
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

Heh, I bought a 27" Trinitron on Craigslist a while back. I didn't have anyone to help me load it from my car to my house. That was fun.
undamned

Post by undamned »

That's hilarious, as I too just snagged 2 27" component input CRT's off craigslist :D I was really hoping for a matching set and I actually found two of the same model in my city! Both of them are Sony KV-27FS13's. Flat CRT's w/ very nice clarity. Running PS1 games on my PS2 via component in 240p is every bit as impressive as running PCB's on my arcade cab. I paid $20 for one and $50 for the other. Both came with remotes and the manual is still up on the Sony support site :D

I chose those models because I refused to purchase something that I could not move by myself. Sony makes other 27" Vega's, but they have a wider body, do to the speakers being on the sides. Mine have the speakers on the bottom and have nice "grab points" on the lower back so you can hoss it around by yourself. They are both around 100lbs. If I were to go smaller, there are also 24" and 20" versions with component inputs (all limited to 480i).

I've yet to dork w/ the service menu (the secret one for repair techs, not the standard settings) but I'm pretty sure you can adjust all geometry features. Even stock, though, they look amazing.
-ud
Righteous Super Hero / Righteous Love
antron

Post by antron »

yeah ud, the sony service menu is nice. I have a 20" with component. It takes a 240p signal fine, but butchers the scanlines (still less flicker than 480i though)

I also use it with this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/SCART-RGB-YUV-Compo ... 563c9045e7
works great with 90% of my PCBs too.
undamned

Post by undamned »

Heh, already picked up one of those :D Tried my SFC on it and it looked pretty good. Nice to know that PCB's work well with that unit!
-ud
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

Damn, lucky. The TV I got didn't come with the Sony remote, so I can't get into the service menu, and this one has overscan issues galore :cry:
antron

Post by antron »

drunkninja24 wrote:Damn, lucky. The TV I got didn't come with the Sony remote, so I can't get into the service menu, and this one has overscan issues galore :cry:
I bought an extra one for $1 at a fire sale. try ebay or get a universal.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

so everyone, what's the best craigslist CRT model/make with component out there?

Categories:
480p compatible - don't forget general low-res performance.
240p(480i) compatible - very clear scanlines?
VGA capable (for Dreamcast) - should consider low-res as well.

FIGHT!
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

The guy I bought the TVs from was on Ebay. He actually has a JVC 32 inch left in stock. He's legit, so if anyone's desperate for a CRT, i'd recommend it. I'd get it, but i'm outta space.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-JVC-Hyper-Scan- ... 230738ebbf
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

njiska wrote:34" 16x9 1080i Trinitron (206 lbs.)
26" 16x9 480i Toshiba
19" Sun Trinitron
2x 17" Crap CRT
13" Crap TV

I love my tube collection, but god damn all that stuff is a bitch to move, especially upstairs. In short, i feel your pain.

Well, you're set for a long time.
undamned

Post by undamned »

evil_ash_xero wrote:The guy I bought the TVs from was on Ebay. He actually has a JVC 32 inch left in stock. He's legit, so if anyone's desperate for a CRT, i'd recommend it. I'd get it, but i'm outta space.

It's new and has lots of features, but $300+ for a CRT is hard to stomach when you have craigslist.
-ud
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

undamned wrote:
evil_ash_xero wrote:The guy I bought the TVs from was on Ebay. He actually has a JVC 32 inch left in stock. He's legit, so if anyone's desperate for a CRT, i'd recommend it. I'd get it, but i'm outta space.

It's new and has lots of features, but $300+ for a CRT is hard to stomach when you have craigslist.
-ud
Yeah, but you never really know how much wear has gone into a used TV. That tube may burn out a lot quicker than expected.
njiska

Post by njiska »

evil_ash_xero wrote:
njiska wrote:34" 16x9 1080i Trinitron (206 lbs.)
26" 16x9 480i Toshiba
19" Sun Trinitron
2x 17" Crap CRT
13" Crap TV

Well, you're set for a long time.
You'd think that wouldn't you? Unfortunately I'm not happy with the SD performance of my Wega so it's going to eventually get replaced with a 34XBR960 and a 34" 4:3 EDTV model. Thank god they're so cheap these days.
MX7 wrote:I'm not a fan of a racist, gun nut brony puking his odious and uninformed arguments over every thread that comes up.
speedlolita

Post by speedlolita »

My old 36" Toshiba weighed 76KG. Dunno what that is in lbs.

My Samsung, Wei Ya chassis monitor in my cabinet is my favourite though.
undamned

Post by undamned »

evil_ash_xero wrote:
undamned wrote:

-ud
Yeah, but you never really know how much wear has gone into a used TV. That tube may burn out a lot quicker than expected.
Dang, there goes another $20 :P
-ud
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

undamned wrote:That's hilarious, as I too just snagged 2 27" component input CRT's off craigslist :D I was really hoping for a matching set and I actually found two of the same model in my city! Both of them are Sony KV-27FS13's. Flat CRT's w/ very nice clarity. Running PS1 games on my PS2 via component in 240p is every bit as impressive as running PCB's on my arcade cab. I paid $20 for one and $50 for the other. Both came with remotes and the manual is still up on the Sony support site :D

I chose those models because I refused to purchase something that I could not move by myself. Sony makes other 27" Vega's, but they have a wider body, do to the speakers being on the sides. Mine have the speakers on the bottom and have nice "grab points" on the lower back so you can hoss it around by yourself. They are both around 100lbs. If I were to go smaller, there are also 24" and 20" versions with component inputs (all limited to 480i).

I've yet to dork w/ the service menu (the secret one for repair techs, not the standard settings) but I'm pretty sure you can adjust all geometry features. Even stock, though, they look amazing.
-ud
Sony also sold this particular silver colored 27" Vega TV monitor, the KV-27FS32 model, that has Component Video, S-Video & Composite Video inputs but only does 480i due to it not having progressive scan support. The later manufactured Sony Vega TVs did include 480 progressive scan support. I like how it has built-in support for 16:9 widescreen option if you use the S-Video input and select widescreen format from the Menu screen selection despite it being a 4:3 type of TV monitor. As usual, this particular Vega CRT-based monitor is graced with a flat screen layout as well.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Jack_from_BYOAC

Post by Jack_from_BYOAC »

I have:

Monitors

37" Mitsubishi XC3717C

35" Mitsbushi AM-3501R

29" NEC XM2960

20" Sony P1110

20" Sony P1130

19" NEC Multisync FP950

12" Sony PVM 1251Q

TV's

37" Toshiba 36A60

25" RCA lyceum TV

The AM-3501R is one of the heaviest monitors I've ever lifted. It's certainly heavier than the XC3717C, and the Sony XBR800. It's well over 300 lbs. A lot of the weight comes from the fact that is has a full wooden case around it, with another thick steel case underneath. I wouldn't trade it for the world though.

What I want next is a Sony FW-900. I want to build a candy cab from wood, and I think the FW-900 would be the perfect HD video display for fighters. It's a good size, widescreen, supports native 1080p, and would have absolutely zero input delay.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

undamned wrote:
Dang, there goes another $20 :P
-ud

Good point.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

undamned wrote:Dang, there goes another $20 :P
-ud
Lolz, my trinitron monitors are like $4-$7 locally :o

Not exactly PVMs but good for my purposes.
njiska

Post by njiska »

Jack_from_BYOAC wrote:The AM-3501R is one of the heaviest monitors I've ever lifted. It's certainly heavier than the XC3717C, and the Sony XBR800. It's well over 300 lbs. A lot of the weight comes from the fact that is has a full wooden case around it, with another thick steel case underneath. I wouldn't trade it for the world though.
Sounds like a really well built monitor. I'm almost tempted to buy one myself, if i had a way to move it.
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

antron wrote: I bought an extra one for $1 at a fire sale. try ebay or get a universal.
Tried a universal, but I think it lacks the correct buttons, could never get the menu to pull up with it. If I find a remote for cheap that looks like it'll work, I'll give it a try. Don't really want to spend $15-$30 on a remote on eBay though.
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

I might actually have some universal remotes to spare at home. What make/model remote did you try?
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »