my Cab keeps crashing all of a sudden

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
nash87

my Cab keeps crashing all of a sudden

Post by nash87 »

first off the cab is not related to shmupping as it is a pump it up machine, so if this thread is deemed off topic then someone just plaese go ahead and move/lock/delete it.

I've had this pump it up machine for 3 days now and today it just started crashing, 4 times in under an hour. so i sadly turned it off. It's an NX song mix in a GX cabinet. what i mean by crashing is that it does 1 of 2 things. it either...

1. just stops completely and goes to a still static ish looking screen that's got a lot of green on it or

2. the audio and video go way off sync to the point where you can't tell what at all is going on and then usually goes into the still static screen again.

I'm a noob at hardware. if anyone thinks they know of a simple possible solution to this please go ahead and shoot it out there. I'm in debt as it is for getting this and really don't want to look into hiring a tech or something and going broke

and again sorry for this not being shmup related what so ever
GaijinPunch wrote:Someone PM me when we have to play w/ the stick up our asses.
"shrimps in my eyes! I cannot see!"
XBLA: h8erfisternator
nash87

Re: my Cab keeps crashing all of a sudden

Post by nash87 »

turns out it will only crash if i play "join the party"

weird
Ex-Cyber

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Sounds like a dying hard drive to me. I've seen a failure mode like this on a PC; accessing a specific area of the drive would make it go offline for a bit, and the OS would sometimes start freezing up, failing to display widgets, or otherwise acting funny.
nash87

Post by nash87 »

seems to be getting worse, won't stay on for more than few seconds after booting now.
Ex-Cyber

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Okay, that puts a dent in my hypothesis (not enough to exclude it, but certainly casts some doubt).
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Dying power supply would be my first guess, followed by video card dying, CPU overheating, or something else.

A totally different situation, but I have seen a situation where the simple front switch will prevent a PC from staying on more than a few seconds (unless you babied it). Doesn't fit the pattern here though.
nash87

Post by nash87 »

it gave me a message to check the signal cable...
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

In PC-land that just means that the monitor isn't detecting a signal. I finally had a look at the arcade machine you described; it doesn't look really easy to service, but on the other hand I would be surprised if this machine is much but regular PC hardware.

So, either the signal connector is loose (I doubt it, otherwise I would have just said "go do that," no reason to poke around in there for no reason), or other parts of the machine are dead. If there is a common power supply for the whole thing this may be a good sign for that as the LCD panel portion seems to be getting power, but then you have to contend with PC hardware failures, looks like.
nash87

Post by nash87 »

the signal connector seemed to be on there pretty good to me but, I don't know jack about arcade or pc hardware. i guess it won't hurt to unplug it and plug it back in, not that that would actually solve anything. I hate trying to solve mysteries, hopefully it'll at least give me another clue or 2
Womble

Post by Womble »

Take the lid off the PSU and look for bulging capacitors, our PVR started doing the same thing (would boot and work for a while then just freeze, got worse and would lock up on boot most of the time towards the end). Found a couple of 2200uF electros with convex tops, 2200uF 10V electros should have an ESR of about 0.001 ohms, these had an ESR of 1.2 and 1.5 ohms - totally shot. Replaced the caps and the PVR is rock solid again.

Always start at the power supply with any fault, you can save a lot of time, even if you rule it out and can move on its worth knowing that the foundations of the system are ok.
nash87

Post by nash87 »

that sounds like a very likely diagnosis. I'm going to leave that to a pro to do, I'm to afraid I'd mess something up. thanks for the thoughts ;)
nash87

Post by nash87 »

monitor doesn't give a signal anymore. the graphics card fan works but only sometimes. could it just be loose?

in regards to power supply, it runs off of 110, not 220. could that be an issue as well.

thanks again for all the help guys
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

nash87 wrote:in regards to power supply, it runs off of 110, not 220. could that be an issue as well.
If you are in Florida, no, unless you have it hooked up via a simple US -> European power plug adapter to a step-up transformer sending the European voltage, which you don't :mrgreen: 110V is basically the US standard (which is officially 120V). At the end of your power cord that's what I've heard you usually end up getting.

You don't need to worry about taking the lid of the PSU; if anything's burst it's already happened, just don't poke anything and you'll be fine. Hell I've run a desktop PSU under tap water with no (immediate) ill effects. Little to be afraid of.

This is starting to sound more and more like a general power failure, as wrong current amounts down the various plugs will cause symptoms like you describe. That could be good compared to the alternatives of having to replace unusual PC hardware or the monitor. You might even be able to get something more reliable than what was in there!

If that PSU's a PC standard you might see if it can be swapped out with a spare lying around, just check that the specs are the same or better; ditto for arcade standard.

Special thanks to Womble for getting to the point and accurately (looks like) much faster than I can, as usual :lol:
nash87

Post by nash87 »

So, I'm an idiot and didn't know the difference between the processor fan and the graphics/video card fan.

the processor fan is the one that doesn't work. the tube tv turns on but has no signal. I plugged my laptop into the tube tv and i got a signal. I'm going to order a replacement from arcade spare parts.

http://www.arcadespareparts.com/arcade_....70.html

I noticed that its listed as 1.6ghz, where as andamiro has theirs listed as 1.8ghz

http://www.andamiro.com/mall....rq=list

is one of them just a typo? I wanted to order from andamiro but andamiros site is giving me this message when i try to add it to my cart

"Auth Is Not Sucess Need Detail Info Please Help to Us" I already registered and everything. I just can't figure out what the problem is...

edit: the andamiro link won't work unless you're a member i just realized. this link will though

http://www.andamiro.com/mall/wizmart.ph ... 00101&lv=2

control+f to find the processor with this code MZZZ0000386 and you'll see it's 1.8 not 1.6 as listed on spare parts
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Checking back in after a week...those links don't work, only the last one actually takes me to a site and I get "Not Have Permission," awesome.

Those processor speeds sound like Celeron CPUs. They should be interchangeable; the thermal power dissipation should be relatively close despite the speed bump, I hope.

This thing has a tube monitor, by the way? It looked like an LCD to me, at least the model I saw.
nash87

Post by nash87 »

yes it does have a tube, but more importantly it's fixed!!! the video card was faulty, replaced it, good as new, which it turns out it basically was new 0_o

thanks again for the help and thought guys

here's what the thing looks like btw

http://www.youtube.com/user/charlienash ... R6lhWlCd4A

and again, sorry for this NOT being shmup related, thanks for allowing the thread Mods ;3