Otomedius PC

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
bk2099

Otomedius PC

Post by bk2099 »

I know it's bad form to ask on my first post and might even get me banned but does anyone
know where I can get the Otomedius PC Hack or have any info relating to it?

The most I could find was a video:
http://channel.pandora.tv/channel/video ... 22&ref=rss
Apparently its running on PC as the game was developped for XPe.

If I had an X360 I would buy this for sure but I'm travelling at the moment and only have
my laptop with me. Gradius is my favorite shooter but the graphics aren't as nice as Otomedius.
Well anyway, I'll be in Akihabara this weekend, hopefully I can find a machine to try it out.
Kaspal

Re: Otomedius PC

Post by Kaspal »

i didnt even knew it existed... gonna keep an eye out for it.
SuperPang wrote:Where DOJ rapes you, DFK grabs your boob then runs away.
clp

Post by clp »

does this mean we could soon have homura on pc :shock:
Drum
Banned User

Post by Drum »

bk2099 wrote:Gradius is my favorite shooter but the graphics aren't as nice as Otomedius.
wat

Unless you mean 'Gradius IV'.
IGMO - Poorly emulated, never beaten.

Hi-score thread: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34327
supergrafx77

Post by supergrafx77 »

show me the link to a pc retail release of Otomedius. I was unaware of this and thought it only exclusive to the 360.
clp

Post by clp »

supergrafx77 wrote:show me the link to a pc retail release of Otomedius. I was unaware of this and thought it only exclusive to the 360.
wtf? it hasnt been released on pc ......the taito type x hardware it runs on has been hacked as it literally is an xp pc anyway .
Observer

Post by Observer »

Awww, man. I thought my dream came true and they were ditching the 360 for PC ports with more resolution options and, overall, more options to mess with... Heck, someone could even mod it to put Moais and Vic Vipers.

But this might also mean we might see Raiden IV too? Homura too? But the PS2 port looked and played nice and dice... did it have any problems?
NOW REACHES THE FATAL ATTRACTION BE DESCRIBED AS "HELLSINKER". DECIDE DESTINATION.
supergrafx77

Post by supergrafx77 »

clp wrote:
supergrafx77 wrote:show me the link to a pc retail release of Otomedius. I was unaware of this and thought it only exclusive to the 360.
wtf? it hasnt been released on pc ......the taito type x hardware it runs on has been hacked as it literally is an xp pc anyway .
Great news regardless!
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Wait, so Type X has been broken? Or is this a case by case thing?
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Otomedius was not released on Type X (or X2), I thought it was Namco System 256 hardware?
linko9

Post by linko9 »

I thought the only game that was hacked was BlazBlue: CS? Anyway, It's a shame that these games don't get PC releases, but I don't blame the devs/publishers, considering how rampant piracy is for PC games. I'm not sure if it would actually end up hurting sales in the long run, but I understand the fear.
Bakke

Post by Bakke »

Otomedius arcade is running from embedded PC, just like the BemaniPC hardware for the latest beatmania IIDX, pop'n music and Guitar Freaks / Drummania series. That's a hacked version of it, so you can run it on a regular computer.
Jockel

Post by Jockel »

null1024 wrote:Wait, so Type X has been broken? Or is this a case by case thing?
The former.
TrevHead (TVR)

Post by TrevHead (TVR) »

Observer wrote:Awww, man. I thought my dream came true and they were ditching the 360 for PC ports with more resolution options and, overall, more options to mess with... Heck, someone could even mod it to put Moais and Vic Vipers.

But this might also mean we might see Raiden IV too? Homura too? But the PS2 port looked and played nice and dice... did it have any problems?
TBH i cant see any commercial shmup developers really supporting the pc due to piracy and with so many ppl with a pc also having a console in the house aswell. Only way i can see that changing is for the rampant piracy to be more or less wiped out in the contries that spend the most money on games. With more contries starting to clamp down on piracy things might change after this generation of consoles is obsolete (probably wont though)
Kaspal

Post by Kaspal »

TrevHead (TVR) wrote:
Observer wrote:Awww, man. I thought my dream came true and they were ditching the 360 for PC ports with more resolution options and, overall, more options to mess with... Heck, someone could even mod it to put Moais and Vic Vipers.

TBH i cant see any commercial shmup developers really supporting the pc due to piracy and with so many ppl with a pc also having a console in the house aswell. Only way i can see that changing is for the rampant piracy to be more or less wiped out in the contries that spend the most money on games. With more contries starting to clamp down on piracy things might change after this generation of consoles is obsolete (probably wont though)

and still, they go the region locking way... that sux.
SuperPang wrote:Where DOJ rapes you, DFK grabs your boob then runs away.
lgb

Post by lgb »

TrevHead (TVR) wrote:i cant see any commercial shmup developers really supporting the pc due to piracy
you do realize that piracy isn't nearly as big of a deal as it's made out to be
General Martok

Post by General Martok »

Doesn't Deathsmiles II run on type x ?
TrevHead (TVR)

Post by TrevHead (TVR) »

lgb wrote:
TrevHead (TVR) wrote:i cant see any commercial shmup developers really supporting the pc due to piracy
you do realize that piracy isn't nearly as big of a deal as it's made out to be
Ive alway been under the impresson that piracy on home PCs is quite widespread, but even if it isnt the perseption of it is and thats what really counts. Why should a developer risk releasing a game (especially games that have small file sizes and are quick to download) on the pc when they can limit it to the 360 with its stringent anti piracy proctections. With shmups been so niche, costley and hard to get hold of many ppl would pirate if they could rather then buy a jap 360 and import shmups from japan. The doujin market is a good example, with most ppl inc even the hardcore touhou fans downloading off rapidshare.
Last edited by TrevHead (TVR) on Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yoshi

Post by Yoshi »

Because they don't have to deal with Microsoft, their licensing fees, and their draconian release rules?
TrevHead (TVR)

Post by TrevHead (TVR) »

Hopefully things might change in the future if online distrubion like steam become more advanced and widespread as japan have always since the 8bit era made arcade / console type games for the home computer. Im still sceptical though due to the points covered in my last post
Ex-Cyber

Post by Ex-Cyber »

General Martok wrote:Doesn't Deathsmiles II run on type x ?
It's PC-based, but not Type X. I don't remember where I saw this, but IIRC it's really not much more than an off-the-shelf (or very lightly customized) "industrial" PC running XPe, with a JVS adapter and the actual game on an off-the-shelf "secure" flash drive of some sort.
Evrain

Post by Evrain »

Ex-Cyber wrote:
General Martok wrote:Doesn't Deathsmiles II run on type x ?
It's PC-based, but not Type X. I don't remember where I saw this, but IIRC it's really not much more than an off-the-shelf (or very lightly customized) "industrial" PC running XPe, with a JVS adapter and the actual game on an off-the-shelf "secure" flash drive of some sort.
It IS an ordinary commercial PC... mid specs I'd say. An Athlon dual core with an ASUS motherboard, the usual RAm and GPU riff-raff and then the game itself, although I knew it was hard drive based? Shame no one has yet torn a DSII kit apart.

EDIT: according to this page it's a
Motherboard: ASUS M3A78-EM Socket AM2+/AM2, Micro ATX format
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5050e Brisbane 2.60GHz, 1024KB L2 Cache
RAM: 2048MB (2GB) 800MHz DDR
I guess then it's on HDD, as there is no dongle or anything on the main unit.
Cuilan

Post by Cuilan »

No info on the video card? Does it even have a video card, or is it using on-board video?
:lol:
General Martok

Post by General Martok »

Yeah judging from these pics they just use the radeon 3200 onboard chip.
I have one of those . Not bad for an IGP , about as fast as a 2002 gaming pc . (My old GF4200 outperforms it :wink: ).
So are they going to release each new game with such a strange PC and not seperatly?

edit: I just looked up the parts and they amount to only about 250USD and that case actually doesn't even allow to install a graphics card. So i guess the game would even run fine on ion based netbooks :lol:
Cuilan

Post by Cuilan »

Well, I guess that explains why Deathsmiles 2 looks the way it does...
:lol:
Observer

Post by Observer »

General Martok wrote:Yeah judging from these pics they just use the radeon 3200 onboard chip.
I have one of those . Not bad for an IGP , about as fast as a 2002 gaming pc . (My old GF4200 outperforms it :wink: ).
So are they going to release each new game with such a strange PC and not seperatly?

edit: I just looked up the parts and they amount to only about 250USD and that case actually doesn't even allow to install a graphics card. So i guess the game would even run fine on ion based netbooks :lol:
Time to kill Mame and start a petition for PC ports of Cave games? Who knows, maybe Death Smiles 2 might be their first attempt... And maybe someone could make high quality texture packs for it? Maybe it could even come with a 18+ Visual Novel? Perfect combo, people, win-win situation.
NOW REACHES THE FATAL ATTRACTION BE DESCRIBED AS "HELLSINKER". DECIDE DESTINATION.
bk2099

Post by bk2099 »

not much too add but i found a machine, put my 100yen in but then it prompts me to swipe an e-amusement card which i dont have, i mash on the start button but nothing happens and it wont let me play :x

ah well, i guess i should just forget about this game

Evrain

Post by Evrain »

bk2099 wrote:not much too add but i found a machine, put my 100yen in but then it prompts me to swipe an e-amusement card which i dont have, i mash on the start button but nothing happens and it wont let me play :x

ah well, i guess i should just forget about this game

Huh? I thought e-AMUSEMENT was entirely optional - and in fact operators have to PAY for it, and not all of them wish to do so.
Anyway DSII looks somewhat PSX'ish, whereas that hardware is enough to dish out something classier... as for PC ports, why a port to begin with? Sure, no way to tell before someone rips out the HDD, but I suspect it would only need a JVS emulator of sorts.
TrevHead (TVR)

Post by TrevHead (TVR) »

its been awhile since i went to an arcade but those cabs in that picture are bloody massive for a 1p game.
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

Haha, looks like someone cut a laptop in half and put it in front of an Egret.
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.