What is a sync cleaner?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
johnwroachiii

What is a sync cleaner?

Post by johnwroachiii »

I have one of these PCB upscalers. I run my consoles' SCART cables through a SCART-to-component converter (which outputs in PAL*) into the it. But some games lose sync to the point of being unplayable. I know this is a common problem.

I've heard mention of sync cleaners; would one of those solve my problems? If so, what are they? If it helps, I'm dealing with a Genesis, a SNES, a Saturn, and PCBs.

Also, I suspect I could skip the component converter altogether and wire a female SCART socket directly into the RGBs input on the upscaler by tying some grounds together. Is this correct?

*I'm in the U.S. I apparently misunderstood the converter's description.
gray117

Re: What is a sync cleaner?

Post by gray117 »

... erm not sure about a sync cleaner...

But I would certainly suggest that cleaned or not simply running scart straight into that pcb converter via the R,G,B Gnd,Sync pins would be the best approach. I would also expect that you will need to tie the rgb grounds together for the grd pin - however it *might* be the grd should be the casing [pin21 - common ground] but I expect not...
antron

Post by antron »

johnwroachiii wrote:
Also, I suspect I could skip the component converter altogether and wire a female SCART socket directly into the RGBs input on the upscaler by tying some grounds together. Is this correct?
SCART doesn't normally carry c-sync. It carries c-vid. You can get c-sync out with an lm1881 or similar chips.

That being said, I've seen at least two saturn SCART cables that had c-sync tied to pin 16 of the SCART connector.
johnwroachiii

Post by johnwroachiii »

Thanks for your help, guys.

I'm expecting to get a cab Real Soon Now, so I'll just get one of eviltim's adapters. That should alleviate most of my problems.
gray117

Post by gray117 »

antron wrote: SCART doesn't normally carry c-sync. It carries c-vid.
Cheapo scart hookups [therefore unfortunately common] often do often carry a composite signal. I'm sure you can find a way to get an rgbs source if required though; whether that would simply require a better made cable or a system mod is another matter...

It would be a shame if you're not working with rgbs; you might as well forget the whole deal imho and save some hassle by working with emulators if your source is not rgb ...

Perhaps not the most friendly sounding suggestion, but like I say i'm sure if your sources are not already rgbs then it wouldn't take too much effort to get there; especially if you're at the stage of resorting to synch cleaners and the like...
antron

Post by antron »

gray117 wrote:
antron wrote: SCART doesn't normally carry c-sync. It carries c-vid.
Cheapo scart hookups [therefore unfortunately common] often do often carry a composite signal. I'm sure you can find a way to get an rgbs source if required though; whether that would simply require a better made cable or a system mod is another matter...

It would be a shame if you're not working with rgbs; you might as well forget the whole deal imho and save some hassle by working with emulators if your source is not rgb ...

Perhaps not the most friendly sounding suggestion, but like I say i'm sure if your sources are not already rgbs then it wouldn't take too much effort to get there; especially if you're at the stage of resorting to synch cleaners and the like...
we are assuming RGB. even when it's there, sync is not. the TV is expected to strip it out from c-video, which is always sent with the RGB in case the device doesn't support RGB.