Suggest me a developement way for Guardian Legend sequel

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
gamebalance

Suggest me a developement way for Guardian Legend sequel

Post by gamebalance »

Hello. I thinking to develope a sequel(probably non direct) to some old NES game The Guardian Legend. It has 2 modes of gameplay. Top down adventure + vertical scrolling SHMUP.
I think maybe it is better to use some game developenet progam like multimedia fusion or game maker or something like that.
If anybody know please your opinion of which way could be better?(I not limit to MF or GM I know there is lots of developement platforms)
Consider that finding C#++ coder or other language like that might be too hard(good one mostly like would need to be paid good) so I thought maybe some games developing platform might be more suitable and possible in a way.
http://theguardianlegend.com/ The Guardian Legend fans forum + sequel developement
Ex-Cyber

Re: Suggest me a developement way for Guardian Legend sequel

Post by Ex-Cyber »

This presumably isn't what you're going for, but my gut tells me that a sequel to TGL "belongs" on Genesis/Mega Drive. I'm not sure why I feel that way, but it came to me pretty strongly. ;)

Realistically, the main thing is to choose a program/language that you're comfortable with. There's not a single best tool for this kind of thing.
gamebalance

Post by gamebalance »

Ex-Cyber wrote:This presumably isn't what you're going for, but my gut tells me that a sequel to TGL "belongs" on Genesis/Mega Drive. I'm not sure why I feel that way, but it came to me pretty strongly. ;)

Realistically, the main thing is to choose a program/language that you're comfortable with. There's not a single best tool for this kind of thing.
Tell me Genesis/Megadrive game name that you think is a sequel?
Me personally not comfortable with any language. I did develope several flash games but I not want to code anymore but I change to make games as collabs with other coders.
I think that chosing developing platform could make it more possible to create a game :o
http://theguardianlegend.com/ The Guardian Legend fans forum + sequel developement
Skyknight

Post by Skyknight »

Hmmm...Guardic Gaiden Repercussion/Guardian Legend Repercussion?
gamebalance

Post by gamebalance »

Skyknight wrote:Hmmm...Guardic Gaiden Repercussion/Guardian Legend Repercussion?
Me/We not come up with final ideas yet.
The game should have very similar basis - top down adventure+vertical shmup
The story can be about Naju or something else.

If it's direct sequel then could be that Naju not destroyed but went to a paralel world and created even bigger problem(but I prefer not direct sequel cuz game is soooo old)

The main hero could be Miria but personally I hope for running updatable project(open source?) where could be added new heroes and available to play any of story variation. Is it called character face-off? So you could play same story with other character(blue lander anyone? :mrgreen: )

Personally I not like idea of mindless destruction of Naju but wish there would be some surprising sci-fi plot where player learn some smart ideas :idea:
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

The Guardian Legend is one of my most favorite games of all time. I'll definitely look forward to a fan-made sequel of it. I once discussed with a friend a TGL game, but it was a prequel, dealing with the origins of Naju. We tentatively called it "The Guardian Legend: Naju Origin".
The age of Alluro and JudgeSpear is over.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

I had planned to make a TGL fangame at one point (gee, I wonder what it evolved into)

My only advice is to keep it simple and either do an all-shmup game or keep the overworld/shmup stages short. Don't try to make both segments of the game huge.
gamebalance

Post by gamebalance »

Udderdude wrote:I had planned to make a TGL fangame at one point (gee, I wonder what it evolved into)

My only advice is to keep it simple and either do an all-shmup game or keep the overworld/shmup stages short. Don't try to make both segments of the game huge.
I think the SHMUP parts should be around 1.30 min then boss. I not like long stages myself.
I would like it to have overworld still.
What you mean about evolve of TGL fan project?
genecyst

Post by genecyst »

i think you should try to organize a bit your ideas, and create some pages of detailed description of what you have in mind, not a bible, but some solid guidelines through which start thinking about the game.
after that you should be able to understand better what and who you need to develop it, for what platform and language (pc-console; java-flash-c++) and so on...
the original game seems to be really nice, but to become playable by anyone nowadays it needs something more than merely a graphics restyle.
gamebalance

Post by gamebalance »

genecyst wrote:i think you should try to organize a bit your ideas, and create some pages of detailed description of what you have in mind, not a bible, but some solid guidelines through which start thinking about the game.
after that you should be able to understand better what and who you need to develop it, for what platform and language (pc-console; java-flash-c++) and so on...
the original game seems to be really nice, but to become playable by anyone nowadays it needs something more than merely a graphics restyle.
HM...
Well you know I not played SHMUPS so much to give any argument. For me TGL gameplay is awesome. It not has the tons of bullets patterns which many SHMUPS have and somehow I never liked that whole screen of bullets patterns thing.
You can try out TGL but what can 20 y.o. game suggest you really...
Try out TGL mode. Input TGL in password screen so you not need to walk around in adventure mode.
gamebalance

Post by gamebalance »

genecyst wrote:the original game seems to be really nice, but to become playable by anyone nowadays it needs something more than merely a graphics restyle.
Graphic restyle? Did I say that?
No I talk about a new game heavily based on the original but I not keep anybody from making the game to be a good competitor for nowadays SHMUPS
genecyst

Post by genecyst »

i'm only talking about where to place the game you want to create and to keep in mind what sort of game someone look for in that particular console or pc.
i think tgl is a good game for the nes era, and i'm not speaking about tons of bullets or three shot a time on screen, i where only wandering about the possibility of finding collaborators in different communities. i mean if you like a lot nes gameplay why don't search coders inside nes-dev community, it should be fun having the game released for the original console it where thought about...
i think a pc game made exactly how it was in original is not so interesting to develop for someone who isn't exactly inside that sort of things. i were trying to help you, not criticizing...:D
good luck!
gamebalance

Post by gamebalance »

genecyst wrote:i'm only talking about where to place the game you want to create and to keep in mind what sort of game someone look for in that particular console or pc.
i think tgl is a good game for the nes era, and i'm not speaking about tons of bullets or three shot a time on screen, i where only wandering about the possibility of finding collaborators in different communities. i mean if you like a lot nes gameplay why don't search coders inside nes-dev community, it should be fun having the game released for the original console it where thought about...
i think a pc game made exactly how it was in original is not so interesting to develop for someone who isn't exactly inside that sort of things. i were trying to help you, not criticizing...:D
good luck!
It is NOT my personal project. I invite fans of the game around and discuss the possibility of the sequel and what they expect and think. My ideas is my ideas. The game going to be based on the different peoples opinions and desires so you took my words from the wrong angle.
I NOT limit the project to the old school at all. I even not set limits and the project pretty much open to any ideas of the fans of the game.

So orginizing ideas can happen after enough of discussions of what the game should be.
genecyst

Post by genecyst »

understood, i thought you were looking for someone who help you develop something that you already have in mind.
sorry.