Giga Wing & Mars Matrix (DC) - Eliminating the Ripple

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Accutron

Giga Wing & Mars Matrix (DC) - Eliminating the Ripple

Post by Accutron »

I came across a thread I saved from the old board, haven't seen this bit of info discussed recently so I thought I'd share the relevant post...
Porchka wrote:Yes, both Giga Wing 1 and Mars Matrix are ugly beasts,
caused by the aforementioned software-scaling.

But there is a way to get rid of the worst "ripple-effects"

in MM:

-go to Screen Setting
- Set "With" to : 612
- Set "Height" to 448
(this is exactly the doubled value of the original CPS2 vert. resolution, 224.)

After that, the Picture is clean and "ripple-free",
only VERY slight horizontal rippling, but barely noticable even in VGA.

(btw. funny, but useless: it´s even possible to play MM on it´s
original Arcade Resolution:
set "With" to 384 and "Height" to 224. Now, all you need is a good magnifier

in GW1:

Here it´s a little bit more tricky,
cause there are only preset scales available, no free scaling like in MM:

- set the Screenscale in the Sceen Setup-Menue to preset values
(press "C"+"Z" / both Shoulder Buttons on Pad)
- then press "A" one time (Height - 1)
- leave "whith" as it is.
- enjoy "ripple-free" picture.
Metal Gear Okt

Post by Metal Gear Okt »

I'm going to try that when i get home.
Zach Keene

Post by Zach Keene »

Since I never really notice them, what effect does playing at 636x371 have on the Mars Matrix rippling effects? (That's the largest you can set it to while still maintaing the original arcade aspect ratio.)
The Bullet Dodger

Post by The Bullet Dodger »

I've messed around with Mars Matrix's screen setting before in the past. I mostly shrunk the screen in hopes of seeing a more smoother picture, but it never worked out like I hoped. But then again, it really never bothered me all that much. I still think Mars Matrix looks pretty good on the DC.

I've always had a problem with the ripples in Giga Wing though. They're just too noticeable. I'll give this solution a try and hopefully it'll help.
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

My kid has the TV so I can't go check at the moment, but a good method is to divide the test resolution (636) by the original resolution (384), and the closer the result is to a whole integer, the less ripple. In this case, it comes out to about 1.66, so it has a pretty bad ripple but could be worse. Try setting the resolution at 576 x 336 (1.5x arcade res) and the ripple should be extra nasty.
icepick

Post by icepick »

Weird! I played as Isha first in Giga Wing, so I got the volcano level, and I thought that these "ripples" were intentional--To give the impression of refracted light due to high levels of heat. :lol:

So, thank you for mentioning this, Accutron... At first, I thought that I preferred the default settings since the "height -1" setting made things look sort of... fuzzy, or even a bit jumpy. I've gotten used to it now, though, and I do like it!
\\ /\/\ \
dpful

Post by dpful »

Don't be confused about the lava ripples, they look pretty crappy in the arcade version.
I guess the goal is to get the home version everything looking better than the lava in the arcade version :)
MadSteelDarkness

Post by MadSteelDarkness »

Much thanks for the knowledge, Accutron (and Porchka, if you're still out there). Coincidentally, I've been playing both games a lot lately, so this info is doubly appreciated.
The Bullet Dodger

Post by The Bullet Dodger »

Thanks for posting this, Accutron.

Mars Matrix definetly looks a lot smoother after adjusting the screen. And so does Giga Wing. I will be giving both of these games more attention now.

Props! :)
8 1/2

Post by 8 1/2 »

Ooh, I forgot about this. Much nicer indeed. I'm going to copy this down and put it in the jewel case with these games so I never lose it again. Now if only there were a magic code for Generations, but ah well, it just gives me a pcb to hunt for.
FULL LOCK is BOMB