Whats the development cost for a game like Radiant Silvergun

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
replayme
Banned User

Whats the development cost for a game like Radiant Silvergun

Post by replayme »

What is the development costs for a game like Radiant Silvergun? And what is the typical budget for a shmup game? Anybody know?

Thanks
Sony Vita: More Lives Than A Cat!!!
neorichieb1971

Re: Whats the development cost for a game like Radiant Silvergun

Post by neorichieb1971 »

I'm just throwing a figure at you. But i'd say Treasure would operate in the $1m-$1.5m budget range in 1998. I might be wrong since I'm just speculating. I believe Ikaruga was done on the cheap with 3 or 4 guys, I'd say that was significantly cheaper to make.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

One of the nice things about shmups is you can make one on a relatively low (or no) budget. But for a huge game like RSG, you'd have to have programmers, 3d artists, texture artists, a musician, sound effects guy, level designers and (a lot of) playtesters. I'm probably forgetting something in there, too.

Don't forget RSG was a STV Titan-based arcade game, and had to be programmed for very limited and overly complex hardware. Assuming you're making a PC game, it won't be nearly as tough to code.
Ex-Cyber

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Udderdude wrote:Don't forget RSG was a STV Titan-based arcade game, and had to be programmed for very limited and overly complex hardware. Assuming you're making a PC game, it won't be nearly as tough to code.
I doubt that had much effect on the budget of RSG. Treasure programmers already had a good amount of Saturn/ST-V experience by that point.