Need arcade stick advice

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
CptRansom

Need arcade stick advice

Post by CptRansom »

I'm currently in the market for a decent stick that I could use with my 360 and my PC (MAME). Honestly, I'm a complete newb to these things. I had a HORI EX2 for a few months and I hated it. I didn't like the deadzone, the buttons, or the square gate. I'm trying to find something that's better. I don't need some crazy top-of-the-line-and-only-experts-would-notice-the-differences, but I also want something that's higher quality than that damned EX2. I'm not into modding at all (because I'm honestly afraid of completely screwing something up), so something that's good out of the box would be appreciated. I was thinking of the Street Fighter IV TE. Any thoughts?
<trap15> I only pick high quality games
<trap15> I'm just pulling shit out of my ass tbh
StarCreator

Re: Need arcade stick advice

Post by StarCreator »

It's not that hard to find a stick that's better than the EX2 out of the box... EX2s are pretty much the bottom of the barrel.

The TE is a great stock choice if you like Sanwa parts. If you like Seimitsu parts, Amazon still has the Hori Real Arcade Pro EX-SE (still my personal favorite stock stick) in stock.
neist

Post by neist »

The SFIV TE is quite top of the line, and completely customizable if you wish to change the gate, stick, or buttons.

There was an issue when they first launched that some PCBs in them were dying, but I have to think that the latest batch of sticks has to have worked that out by now. My stick still works fine.

But the HRAP EX-SE that StarCreator listed is also very good. :) It's more a preference as to what shape of box you enjoy and what type of buttons/stick you like. The SFIV TE has all Sanwa. The HRAP has Seimitsu. I actually prefer Sanwa, so I lean towards it a little bit.
kemical

Post by kemical »

I'm a fan of the EX-SE, got it from amazon also, the style of Seimitsu buttons on it are my favorite kind of all arcade buttons... Extremely solid and great looking stick overall, very sturdy in lap or on coffee table and matches the contours of candy cabs. The only thing I can knock it for is being manufactured in China; (I wonder if the initial Japanese EX-SE's were...I'm used to "Made in Japan" pride with products like this)
linko9

Post by linko9 »

I also got an EX-SE from amazon, and I must say I'm thrilled. It's the best stick I've ever used, and it's quite a good deal honestly (considering that some people were importing them for over twice the price before a US release was announced).
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

The Japanese EX-SE also was made in China.
EPS21

Post by EPS21 »

Just to let you know the Sanwa JLF in the TE stick has a square gate as well, so if you're not interested in modding (putting an octagon gate on those things is cake though) I'd go with any of the HRAP's like everyone else has been recommending so far.
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

Keep in mind that pretty much everyone who doesn't like square gates are simply not used to JP sticks. It's far more efficient and effective than any other gate, esp. for shooters. Depending on your familiarity, it'll probably take months or years for JP sticks to feel as intuitive as a pad or US stick.
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

EPS21 wrote:Just to let you know the Sanwa JLF in the TE stick has a square gate as well, so if you're not interested in modding (putting an octagon gate on those things is cake though) I'd go with any of the HRAP's like everyone else has been recommending so far.
HRAPs have square gate as well. It's pretty much the default on any JP stick. I would advise to upgrade the stick, but spend a little more time with the square gate, as Ganelon said, it really is a superior gate, but you just can't do things like ride the gate the whole time you use it. But if you're really not feeling it, most JP can be fitted with an octogate (or a circle gate in the LS-32's case).
CptRansom

Post by CptRansom »

Okay, I'll trust you guys on the gate thing (I'm definitely too inexperienced to really argue one way or another... and like someone else said, I do ride the gate a lot. I guess not doing that just comes with practice).

Sanwa vs. Seimitsu doesn't matter to me, because again, I don't have the experience to really know any better. All I DO know is that I hated the EX2 and that the 360 pad just isn't cutting it for me at ALL.

That being said, if it's much easier for me to get the SFIV stick over the EX-SE, should I just go for that, or will the EX-SE really make that much more of a difference?
linko9

Post by linko9 »

Honestly, you'll probably get used to whatever you end up getting. There are many supporters of Sanwa, and many supporters of Seimitsu, but I will say this; I have heard a few people who just can't stand Sanwa sticks for shmups (mainly due to the larger deadzone), and I've never encountered anyone who has the same adverse reaction to Seimitsu. So, if you want to be safe, I'd go with the EX-SE, but you're right that it probably won't really end up being a big deal. Honestly, getting the EX-SE is no hassle; just get it from Amazon. But if you can get a good deal on the TE, go for it.
kemical

Post by kemical »

I feel like Sanwa sticks make the square gate more noticeable due to the slightly greater angle/travel distance the stick moves (when you're moving it through all the directions into the corners), just was messing with a spare one and comparing it to a Seimitsu LS-32.
CptRansom

Post by CptRansom »

I decided to go with the EX-SE. It should be here Wednesday. I just really hope it's as much of an improvement over the EX2 or even the Xbox 360 controller as everyone says (yes, I really am that much of a newb). =) Thanks for all of the input, everyone!
sjoecool1991

Post by sjoecool1991 »

With my experience with arcade sticks, I would say, my preference on parts depends on what games I am playing.
For TGM, Sanwa all the way.
I actually like playing with Semitsu stuff for shmups.
Then again, I almost always play shmups with a PS2 style gamepad.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Get a Street Fighter IV Standard Edition and if you are happy with that then keep it as is. If you feel you want some Sanwa buttons pick those up and replace them. It is quit easy.

Street Fighter IV SD sticks are very affordable and very easy to customize if you want to improve them.
linko9

Post by linko9 »

Good choice. One word of caution though; don't expect to fall in love with it immediately. Since you're used to using a pad, the stick will feel awkward for a few days, but if you give it some time, you'll soon see why a stick is the best way to control shmups.
CptRansom

Post by CptRansom »

Well, I got my stick today! Unfortunately, I can't seem to get it working with MAME or... well... anything on my PC. I set up a profile with Xpadder using the stick as the D-pad, and mapping the individual buttons to their various keyboard counterparts, but... nothing. =( If anyone's able to help, I'd sure appreciate it!
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Good luck with getting that to work.

I got my Street Fighter IV SE working fine on both XP and Vista.
CptRansom

Post by CptRansom »

I figured it out and I honestly feel like an idiot now! :lol:
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

sweet
honorless

Post by honorless »

Kind of posting as a warning to anyone who's still looking for a 360 stick.
Shelcoof wrote:Get a Street Fighter IV Standard Edition and if you are happy with that then keep it as is. If you feel you want some Sanwa buttons pick those up and replace them. It is quit easy.
I bought one of these because it was small, light and much less expensive to mod to my specifications (Seimitsu lever + Sanwa buttons) than anything else out there.

...Two and a half credits in, the X (fire) button is 90% non-functional and the RB (autofire) button is cutting in and out. Fuckin' ace. After reading all the complaints that still seem to be going on I figured I'd just return it for an EX-SE. At $90 (current price on Amazon) it'll be less expensive than a full Fightstick SE mod if I stick with the Seimitsu buttons... :roll:

How long have you had yours, Shelcoof? You haven't had any problems with it?
video games suck
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

... holy shit it's down to $90 now? it was $110 a week or so ago!

But regardless, I had wanted to pick up the MadCatz SE simply because it's smaller than the Hori RAP style sticks... I love my EX-SE (that I paid over $200 for back when I thought it'd be Japan only ;-; ) but it's a little big to carry around conveniently. If only MadCatz hadn't cheaped out on the PCBs, they'd have a virtually flawless modding platform...
CptRansom

Post by CptRansom »

$90?!? Goddammit! I paid the full $140 for mine. Oh well, it was worth it to have time to get used to using a stick before Futari got here.

I'm really sorry to hear about your experience, honorless. That sucks. =( I hope the return goes well!
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

honorless wrote:
How long have you had yours, Shelcoof? You haven't had any problems with it?
hey honorless

I've had both of mine for several months now.. since May 09.
Both of them still work great. I modded one and left the other with stock parts.
I use them both for Fighters, Shmups and MAME.
Stocked one isn't used as much because I bought it for friends to use when playing with me.

That sucks that your having bad luck with yours. I was worried too when I read about all the complaints but I've taken good care of mine. One even fell off the table and made a huge bang. No damage though not even any cosmetic scratches.

Anyways good luck
Daigoro

Post by Daigoro »

yeah, that HRAP SE for $90 is a sick deal.

i picked one up a week ago for the $104 price. im shocked to see it went down even more.

great stick. im gettign used to the Seimitsu buttons after being hooked on Sanwas.