PC- this controller? (for mame / znes ) psp style pad?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
2dvertical

PC- this controller? (for mame / znes ) psp style pad?

Post by 2dvertical »

http://www.compusa.com/applications/Sea ... &CatId=141

I have been searchin my ass off. Everthing looks like a ps3 or xbox clone. Buttons I dont need. Have been using an old gravis directional pad similiar to a snes pad. Wanna upgrade and buy 2. Problem is my wife play snes emus, so it has to have those few extra top buttons. I am baffled by the psp style directional pad as I dont own one. gotta be better that the "clicking" d-pad right? So is it analog? Oh well Ill keep searching, but looking for something simple, 1 analog stick and 6 buttons, with a start/select button.
Fudoh

Re: PC- this controller? (for mame / znes ) psp style pad?

Post by Fudoh »

Sorry, but have been living under a rock for the past years ? Why do you think you need an analogue stick ? The best pads for MAME and other emus are the Sega USB controller which you can buy dirt cheap on eBay, e.g. here: http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ220441851151
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Holy crap that is dirt cheap.

It's too bad because I have my 360 joystick already or else I'd have picked two of those up.
2dvertical

Post by 2dvertical »

fuck, if only I could find a controller like this not so compact and meant for portability. I like the idea of the retractable usb cord but I can see that lasting a month or two. Is there any thing that doesnt look like a ps3 or xbox controller similiar to what I am looking for similiar to above link?, hell wireless would be even better, vibrate not required.

got this from a review of the pad

"The one thing I did have problems with is shooter games that require very precise movements for aiming and such. The analog sticks have a little bit of a dead zone that makes it so precise movements near the center of the stick do not register. In addition because the analog stick slides it is harder to move it smoothly. With a little practice I was able to get fairly good."

stick slides?
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

Seems it's a sliding nub similar to the one found on PSP.

I can't say anything about the Pandora Pro, but I have a Maxfire Minipad Pro also from the same manufacturer which is OK except the D-pad is utter crap and registers diagonals far too easily.

It can probably be fixed with a mod of some sort but I haven't bothered opening it yet. I just bought a Street Fighter IV fight pad for X360 which is pretty good, but I definitely would have gotten the Saturn USB pad instead if I knew it was that cheap.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

2dveritcal wrote:stick slides?
Forget that noise, read Fudoh's post again. The USB pad from Sega is all you need for SNES emus.

I can't play shooters very well with it though (at least not the ones I've tried). The d-pad is probably too smooth, and sometimes I'll change direction when not intending it.

Best bet for shooting games is either a real full-size joystick or keyboard. Yeah, keyboard.
chrish4161

Post by chrish4161 »

One latest suggestion i can give you is, use PSP plus. It is wireless PSP controller with all the buttons you need and it is the best product in 2010 till date.The feature will allow players of Retribution to connect their systems to the PS3, in order to enable use of PS3 wireless controllers. Using the DualShock will enable dual-analog control in the game.Other games may be able to potentially utilize PSP Plus.
Mistakes are the portals of discovery.
Stormwatch

Post by Stormwatch »

From that site, I guess I'd get this. Logitech tends to be good.
DC906270

Post by DC906270 »

you can get SNES---> USB adapters. then youd be able to use an original snes pad with your pc.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Or you could again get one of those Sega Saturn USB pads and not have to worry about the possibility of lag. They're well built and fun to use.
elvis

Post by elvis »

I've got a few of these and love them:
http://www.thrustmaster.com/product.asp ... atformID=5

If you need analogue, then there's these too:
TrevHead (TVR)

Post by TrevHead (TVR) »

I used one of those usb saturn pads untill a friends dog chewed through the cable, now im back to using my logitech dual action pad the same one stormwatch posted, and if you want to a decent d-pad then the dual action is not the pad to choose unless you like moving diagonal when you want to move sideways and vise-versa. All the pads ive come across on the highstreet are just as bad.

My local pc world store had 7-8 pc pads on display all of them were d-pad / analog combos with the d-pads totally unusable, the one pad £25 to £30 quid for from the store (on the recomendation of a friend and cos they had none on display) was a piece of shit aswell. I would of tought shelling out that kind of cash would get me a pad that actually worked but sadly pc pad manufacters expect gammers to only use the sticks and arnt bothered with the d-pads anyway.

Oddly enough ive very much got used to using the dual actions analog stick but i still woudnt recommend using it for other ppl especially touhou players

get a saturn usb copy or theres a siatek i hear has a top notch d-pad cant remember its name but it looks like a silver batman boomarang (no analog stick)
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

elvis wrote:I've got a few of these and love them:

If you need analogue, then there's these too:
Out of stock at Amazon, and why not just pick up a 360 controller instead? You get the added benefit of optional bloatware if you're on a Windows PC (with Live for Windows, but you don't have to install it; Windows Update will just suggest it).
elvis

Post by elvis »

Ed Oscuro wrote:Out of stock at Amazon, and why not just pick up a 360 controller instead? You get the added benefit of optional bloatware if you're on a Windows PC (with Live for Windows, but you don't have to install it; Windows Update will just suggest it).
Speaking for myself, I run Linux. XBox360 pad support outside of Windows is still pretty abysmal.

Generic USB gamepad devices (including PS3 controllers) have a much higher non-Windows compatibility rate.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

elvis wrote:Generic USB gamepad devices (including PS3 controllers) have a much higher non-Windows compatibility rate.
It remains to be seen if this is relevant to the OP (I'm guessing not). For my money, it's more useful to have a 360 controller around since I can also use it when visiting somebody with a 360.

Sorry to hear about the pitfall of the do-it-yourself OS. I can understand (and cheer) not having Xbox Live For Windows, but not supporting the 360 pads? C'mon. I try to support free software and all but sometimes convenience is worth paying for. [/ ideological bs nobody cares about ]
infamas

Post by infamas »

elvis wrote: Speaking for myself, I run Linux. XBox360 pad support outside of Windows is still pretty abysmal.

Generic USB gamepad devices (including PS3 controllers) have a much higher non-Windows compatibility rate.

You can use xbox360 pads on linux. Use joydev, and leave the controller plugged in long enough so that it stops blinking. It should work fine after this.

If you don't wait for it to stop blinking, it will just randomly input left or something similar, so the waiting for it to not blink anymore is crucial.