dead doj white label pcb help

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
sourdiesel

dead doj white label pcb help

Post by sourdiesel »

hi i just got a DOJ regular version board and it was working fine for a day, the next day i got this error msg on screen it kinda looked like the ketsui bug , then i tried turning it on and off and it wouldnt even boot, just garbled mess - i tried resetting the nvram then i looked at the battery and it had leaked a bit - i snipped the battery off since i didnt want it to leak anymore. i need to get this pcb fixed - where can i?

help!

thx
Battlesmurf

Post by Battlesmurf »

http://world-of-arcades.net/

RTW is here somewhere- charges a few and is in the UK- but probably your best (and one of the only options) for you.

Good Luck!
My trade/wanted list
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 1#p1135521

Twitch.tv/RedHotHero
robivy64

Post by robivy64 »

Post a picture of around the battery area. It sounds like you have some damaged traces that need to be patched. Check underneath the board as well.

Sadly, these doj boards are succumbing to leaky batteries more and more often.
rtw

Post by rtw »

Slight misunderstanding, I resurrect Dai-Ou-Jou Black Labels and I'm in Norway :D

Follow robivy64s instructions and we'll all pitch in.

Can you still access the setup screen ?

And please tell us the value of your 5V & 12V with a PCB in place.
http://world-of-arcades.net
The future of ST-V rests upon our work and your work
sourdiesel

thanks

Post by sourdiesel »

ok - awesome thanks for the help , ill take pics in a few , gotta run out right now and do some errands, but at least i got the battery out ... it was juicy with acid ... i cant even get into boot menu, all that comes up is a garbled mess... be back later with pics - thanks to all who replied.

-sd
sourdiesel

thanks - again

Post by sourdiesel »

ill pick up a multi-meter if i can to test the voltage in the egret 2
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

A little while back, there was another thread about the need to check your Varta battery in your regular Dodonpachi-DOJ PCB. I checked mine and it wasn't leaking anything and looked to be in pretty good shape but had it changed anyways in mid 2008. Yeah, there have been some scattered reports of fellow shmupper's DDP-DOJ PCBs with the dreaded leaky Varta battery issue. Sorry to hear that yours got fucked up, sourdiesel...sometimes it happens to the best of the prized Cave PCBs. ^_~

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

sourdiesel

Post by sourdiesel »

yeah i planned on checking the battery , but i only had the pcb for a day , heh.
sourdiesel

Post by sourdiesel »

so the guy i bought it from lives in Taiwan and can bring/send the board to IGS to fix it, they charge 65$ and if its gonna be more they will notify him ... do u guys think i should go this route?
robivy64

Post by robivy64 »

I don't see any pictures.
sourdiesel

Post by sourdiesel »

i tried taking some with the iphone, came out too fuzzy, charging the nikon coolpix now. be back soon with pics.
sourdiesel

Post by sourdiesel »

here are the pics:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/31420951@N ... 928179458/

i managed to get the error screen again! so i took a pic , before the error screen the usual warning screen came up with the date the game was made, but the first letter of every word was pink instead of orange brown. then this error screen popped up, then i turned the machine off, waited a min, turned it back on and just black screen ..... also pics of the battery area back/front , whole pcb pic and others ..

dunno

anyone got any ideas?
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

fingers crossed for you buddy...ive actually got one of these on the way to me as we speak....without the battery tho.....

please make sure to post back when you have it sorted....i will be interested to find out what the issue is and how its fixed

what does the seller have to say on the subject? are they covering any costs accrued getting this fixed for you, cuz as you said, you only had it one day before the issue presented itself

i check the battery on my ketsui almost every day....i would literally cry if it got damaged
rtw

Post by rtw »

sourdiesel wrote:i managed to get the error screen again! so i took a pic , before the error screen the usual warning screen came up with the date the game was made, but the first letter of every word was pink instead of orange brown. then this error screen popped up, then i turned the machine off, waited a min, turned it back on and just black screen ..... also pics of the battery area back/front , whole pcb pic and others ..
Hard to tell from your pictures but can you see if any tracks are damaged ?

The game boots but the colour is bad this might be a loose pin or RAM failure.

Have you inspected the chips for any loose pins ?

If you press the setup switch (or turn on the DIP) while the region warning is present can you enter setup ?
sourdiesel

Post by sourdiesel »

it seems some of the tracks are damaged the ones below SW4-177 right below where the battery is ... if u zoom on the pic u can see

so i should ship back to seller to fix at igs?

it wont even boot now, cant access anything
this was from before
here is the latest screen

help!
robivy64

Post by robivy64 »

Yeah send it back to IGS.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

What a design fault on Cave's part. Those batteries should be placed somewhere away from main chips.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
PC Engine Fan X!

neorichieb1971 wrote:What a design fault on Cave's part. Those batteries should be placed somewhere away from main chips.
Only if Cave could've foreseen what would happen to a regular DDP-DOJ PCB with a leaky Varta battery six or seven years down the road from it's intial 2002 release, they would've relocated the battery elsewhere. Chalk it up to poor battery layout and design in going with an integrated PGM-based mobo combo deal setup. ^_~

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
sourdiesel

Post by sourdiesel »

yeah its a pretty crap design ... i should have had the seller check it before sending it out, my fault ... was too excited to get my DOJ on ;) ... hopefully IGS can fix this, it would be a shame to lose such a great PCB to battery acid ...
sourdiesel

Post by sourdiesel »

i should have scanned the pcb instead of the pics ... oh well, it seemed more than a few tracks were fuxxOred so i really didnt want to bother with it -- its off to taiwan to the seller then to IGS ... i have to thank the seller, alberto1225, he has been a class act in helping me get the pcb fixed. it wasnt even his pcb, it was his friends. so its cool he is taking the time to help me out.
PC Engine Fan X!

Let this be a lesson for all of us DDP-DOJ PCB owners, check your Varta battery every so often. Otherwise, the horror of horrors will befall your precious DDP-DOJ, Ketsui or ESPgaluda PCBs. ^_~

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
dpful

Post by dpful »

BTW, is it possible that DOJ leaks the most? I havn't heard anyone complain about espgaluda. -also, my espgaluda is fine and my doj was a little leaky.
kernow

Post by kernow »

maybe, but there shouldn't be any difference between the three.

it always happens to be DOJ though , I think the case has something to do with it to be honest.
captpain

Post by captpain »

Ugh, what a weird and unpleasant thing to have happen. Good luck.
rtw

Post by rtw »

dpful wrote:BTW, is it possible that DOJ leaks the most? I havn't heard anyone complain about espgaluda. -also, my espgaluda is fine and my doj was a little leaky.
Yes it is possible, because the DOJ is inside a metal box the temperature is higher.

http://www.engineersedge.com/battery/hi ... attery.htm
robivy64

Post by robivy64 »

This is why the fan needs to stay connected.
dpful

Post by dpful »

I had my fan turned low (with a pot) before my battery leaked. My espgaluda is still fine
PC Engine Fan X!

I always run my stock installed factory cooling fan whenever I power up my DDP-DOJ PCB...still works like a charm. ^_~

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
kernow

Re: dead doj white label pcb help

Post by kernow »

BUMP