3D-Shmup in Flash

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
Papatsu

3D-Shmup in Flash

Post by Papatsu »

Hi!

This is my first post here. I just want to show a game I'm working on. Try it, and give me a few pointers (I'm no shmup-expert). Maybe you could direct me to other games for inspiration?

Don't mind the graphics yet, I haven't gotten to that part. Oh, and there are no enemies or things like that yet.
  • You might have to click the game in order to get the keyboard-working
    Move with the arrow-keys
    Fire using space
    Use the 1 through 7-Key to change weapon
    Evade by double tapping the left or right-key
Play the demo here: http://www.dunderserver.com/temp/shmup3d/

Thanks!
Danbo

Post by Danbo »

Well it seems to work and it's definitely 3D.

There is something up with your bullet management though, hold down weapon 7 for a while and watch the memory usage shoot up, but not come back down again. I don't know what the mechanism is for deallocating memory is in ActionScript, but you should look into it...
ZOM

Post by ZOM »

Magma looks nice.

Aside from the memory leak happening while shooting I noticed something else: Do you plan to do the player ship invincible while rolling? If that's the case, steer the ship to the left side of the screen & constantly tap on the left arrow and see what happens... :wink:

Also a separate button for rolling would be a better idea I think. There's many players who play with a 'twitching' style, correcting position of your ship will simply be a nightmare if every double-tap rolls your ship a mile away.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Inertia feels like there's too much. It makes the roll feel better than how it might be without it, but it affects normal movement a bit badly...
Everything looks really cool [especially considering that this is Flash...]
Memory leak w/ lots of bullets [already mentioned]
Has the "Silpheed problem" -- total screen area can't be used for movement but there isn't really an easy fix for this...

All in all, this looks like it has epic amounts of potential.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Inertia = bad idea
Evade = really bad idea
Weapon 7 = Memory leaks like crazy, also lots of lag
Flash is a bad idea to use in general for a few reasons (slow, inconsistent lag, need joy2key to use a stick/pad with it, etc.)

Try out BWR+ http://www004.upp.so-net.ne.jp/x_xgamer ... works.html

Here's a shmup I made .. http://rydia.net/udder/prog/xopblack/
Pixel_Outlaw

Post by Pixel_Outlaw »

Ahhh Udderdude ever the blossoming pot of joy. :lol:

What (most) of us like in a shmup

- Enemy bullet patterns (ships don't just shoot foreward and strait)
- Enemies that can be killed regardless of what weapon is used before getting to the edge of the screen.
- Enemies with interesting movement.
- No inertia please, we like to be in control at all times.
- A *small* set of balanced weapons.
- Really think about scoring you can even keep it simple if you are not sure what to do.

The genre has very simple roots you don't need to fix what isn't broken.

The rule here is keep things simple, you don't need to try anything groundbreaking before you really make a few.

A shmup at the most basic level would be something like Galaga. It has all the elements, However even Galaga is a bit too old for some players here. You can fix that by making a game that has free movement and enemies that move along a level.
Some of the best shmups don't actually end in a vowel.
No, this game is not Space Invaders.