Another NOS PC Engine joystick unearthed...

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
PC Engine Fan X!

Another NOS PC Engine joystick unearthed...

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Was browsing on NCSX today and they have unearthed another one of those NOS PC Engine joysticks for sale:

http://www.ncsx.com/2009/040609/ascii_stick_engine.htm

Reminds me a bit of the NES Advantage joystick setup...same type of autofire adjustable dials. Even the NEC released Turbo Grafx-16 Turbo Stick joystick controller features the non-clicky joystick mechanism setup that this Ascii one has. Not a bad price for it considering that it's NOS anyways.

The legendary Hori Fighting Stick PC for the PC Engine Duo is the one to own/play with. It comes endowed with a slight clicky Sanwa joystick and a six button layout for a world class PCE joystick barnone. It came with a MSRP of 7,800 yen back in the day. ^_~

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
undamned

Post by undamned »

Neat! Wonder how well it plays...
-ud
Righteous Super Hero / Righteous Love
PC Engine Fan X!

I've wondered about how well it plays with the PCE hardware. Considering it's Ascii (aka Agetech in the USA) pedigree, I'm sure it's a fine and well crafted PCE joystick indeed. ^_~

Feel like taking the plunge and see how one is with your PCE gaming setup, ud?

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
rolins

Post by rolins »

undamned wrote:Neat! Wonder how well it plays...
-ud
If you ever used NES Advantage then you'll know what to expect. It basically the same design.
scottbpm

Post by scottbpm »

New member here, hi everyone, i've been lurking on here for ages.
I picked up one of these sticks a while back on ebay, new in box, fairly cheap.
It's a good stick for shooters, and is a nice compact size.
I had the NES Advantage a few years ago, as far as I can remember i'd say the PCE stick is a bit smaller and lighter.
The variable autofire is good, haven't used the slow motion though.
Only thing is that the colour scheme doesn't match my supergrafx!
Recommended for PCE shmuppage!
PC Engine Fan X!

Hi there scottbpm,

Welcome to the Shmups.org forum. Glad to have you on-board with your personal thoughts on this Ascii produced PCE joystick. ^_~

Yeah, some 1st and 3rd party PCE joysticks just don't have the matching color schemes for the myriad of console that NEC cranked out over the years, let alone for the Supergrafx variant.

I do have a pair of the USA region NEC made TurboSticks for use on the TG-16 console and the slow-mo feature is spot-on. It is necessary to have the proper console joystick setup for that crucial competitive edge, especially when playing some of those kick-ass PCE shmups. Of course, some folks are quite content to play with a plain-vanilla PCE joypad setup. Either way, they are both ace in my book. ^_~

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
undamned

Post by undamned »

rolins wrote:
undamned wrote:Neat! Wonder how well it plays...
-ud
If you ever used NES Advantage then you'll know what to expect. It basically the same design.
So it's a piece of crap, then.
-ud
Righteous Super Hero / Righteous Love
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

I wonder if I can mod out the sticks in this and the Advantage...I already have an Advantage so I could crack that open easily enough.

The stick in the Advantage is, as undamned says, pretty shit, but it still beats using the pad for Contra. :lol: