using a DIAL-controller in MAME

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
lewisit

using a DIAL-controller in MAME

Post by lewisit »

ok, there aren't any shooters that i know of that use dial-controls in MAME but anyways...

i got myself a nice PSX-dial-controller that i connect with my PC via PSX/USB-hub:

it's recognised as a joypad by my system but i have no idea how to set it up for use in dial-controlled games (Puchi Carat, Cameltry, etc.) in MAME - anyone got any directions for me? :)
dpful

Post by dpful »

In the mame configuration menu, there's checks for which controller devices to use, and then each game has settings for analog controls when you press tab (to get it tweaked right).

does that work? I've never done it.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

On the real PSX hardware, the CPU sees the Namco rotary knob controller as a mouse controller setup. On some PSX games such as Tempest, you can use it but don't expect it to fully emulate like how it plays on the real Tempest cab with a full-sized arcade spinner setup. Playing Super Breakout on the PSX with the Namco rotary controller is quite fun. ^_~

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
lewisit

Post by lewisit »

doesn't work yet...

although my PC recognises the controller as an analog dial-controller (selfcalibating & everything) MAME doesn't!

in MAME turning the dial equals pressing right/left on a joypad (it also says so in the input-menu when i configure the controls)

what now? :?
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Try adding "-mouse" to your command line. If I remember correctly, that's all that's needed to get it working.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
lewisit

Post by lewisit »

no luck with that - i'm using MamePlus 0.126 (should have said that earlier...)

maybe i need a special kind of script/driver? there seem to be some for analog pedals (for driving games) - maybe also for paddles?

really noone here dialing in Mame? :(
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.