Mushi BL now working, no help needed now!!

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Strider77

Mushi BL now working, no help needed now!!

Post by Strider77 »

I just got the board today in the mail and it didn't work right off. The lone LED on top would come on but it would go dim then bright back and forth with nothing happening on screen. Then it started to work after a bit.

But now while I was playing it it shut down. Now that main LED comes on, then the cluster of LEDs toward the jamma harness one LED comes and constantly flahes on and off.

If you have the PCB in hand with the jamma harness on top it's the right most LED.
Last edited by Strider77 on Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
EOJ

Post by EOJ »

Oh, that doesn't sound good. Sorry to hear that. Maybe something weird with the voltage of your supergun? What kind of supergun are you using? Is the JAMMA connector on the PCB clean? If you have other SH3 PCBs and they work fine, then it's something wrong with the PCB. In which case you're pretty much screwed. You can probably get it fixed, but it will cost you over $300 to do so (plus you need a contact in Japan to send it to CAVE).
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

all the other PCBs work fine ect.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
EOJ

Post by EOJ »

On my Futari BL PCB the LED next to the SH3 chip lights up for a few seconds, then two LEDS light up near the JAMMA connector (and stay lit for as long as I'm playing). None of them blink or flash, ever.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

Yeah this sucks in a big way, the only other thing i have ever dropped this much cash on is my car, but even that was split into 2 payments. This sucks so bad.

I looked over the board and it shows signs of repair. There are some areas with flux all around them. I have see no connections like these on ANY of my other 3 SH3 boards. I also notice a resister that is in a odd place and has lots of flux around it... not the same as any of the other boards.
EOJ

Post by EOJ »

You can try contacting Tops (www.tops-game.jp). They've acted as the middleman for me when I had to get a SH3 PCB fixed. It'll run you about $300, but it's better than having a $1000+ paperweight.
EOJ

Post by EOJ »

Strider77 wrote: I looked over the board and it shows signs of repair. There are some areas with flux all around them. I have see no connections like these on ANY of my other 3 SH3 boards. I also notice a resister that is in a odd place and has lots of flux around it... not the same as any of the other boards.
Could you take a picture of this?

Here's a pic of my MFBL PCB, for reference:

Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

Last edited by Strider77 on Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
EOJ

Post by EOJ »

That's normal. The back of my PCB looks exactly the same.

The earlier SH3 PCBs, like Ibara and Mushi, were on slightly different boards, and thus might not have this stuff that's on the later SH3 boards.
Last edited by EOJ on Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

the little red pointer shows the odd resistor. it has alot of flux and is also crooked.

odd thing is it will boot if left sitting on after a while.... sometimes.
EOJ

Post by EOJ »

Hmm. Well, it should be noted that ALL Futari BL PCBs had to have some chips reprogrammed, thus resoldered, as they are all reprogrammed Futari 1.0 or MMP PCBs. So this is likely what you see on your PCB. Maybe they didn't do a great job on yours though.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

Well I guess it has to be repaired then.
SinHo

Post by SinHo »

Sorry to hear that you have put up quit a lot of money for a non working PCB. But then I have to ask you, did you buy the game as working (stupid question, but quite important)? If so, you should first and foremost contact the seller.
system11

Post by system11 »

I'd also try it on a different setup if you can, before you write it off.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Tried going into the service menu and run a memory check? Also try to reset to default/factory settings. I don't know if a bad NVRAM will cause blinking LEDs, but I would try that if I were you.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
majors

Post by majors »

Strider77 wrote: odd thing is it will boot if left sitting on after a while.... sometimes.
Left on but not working, then later you reset it works? Like it needs to warm up? Or does it just magically boot up after 10 minutes. Maybe BL version are just too powerful for you Americans.
Wedoca '24
robivy64

Post by robivy64 »

I doubt Cave desolders the flash to reprogram boards. I'm pretty certain they can reprogram boards via JTAG without physically modifying the board. That would be like going around the world just to cross the street. It would not make much sense.
EOJ

Post by EOJ »

robivy64 wrote:I doubt Cave desolders the flash to reprogram boards. I'm pretty certain they can reprogram boards via JTAG without physically modifying the board.
They definitely desolder in order to reprogram boards. rtw mentions this on world-of-arcades.
robivy64

Post by robivy64 »

That doesn't make the information correct. Nobody knows for certain, I just think it seems unlikely.
EOJ

Post by EOJ »

I've had numerous SH3 boards serviced by CAVE to be upgraded to bug-fixed ROM versions. They always come back with chips that show clear signs of being resoldered. I don't know how much clearer it can get than that.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

I'd also try it on a different setup if you can, before you write it off.
I've tried it in 2 cabs and one supergun.

It will boot SOMETIMES after being left on, this is not always though and even then it will cut off after the boot. I have managed to beat it twice though.
Tried going into the service menu and run a memory check? Also try to reset to default/factory settings.
I did after the 1st time it came up and it said it was ok.... also is there a way to reset the settings without a boot up? What do the dips do?
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Strider77 wrote:
Tried going into the service menu and run a memory check? Also try to reset to default/factory settings.
I did after the 1st time it came up and it said it was ok.... also is there a way to reset the settings without a boot up? What do the dips do?
I suppose the dips do nothing. So, if you power your board up and hold the service button, no service menu either? Just black nothingness?
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

nothing.... the power LD comes on, then it goes off and the the 1st LED out of the cluster of 5 LEDS keeps blinking.

if I leave it on for along time it sometimes boots.
sven666

Post by sven666 »

I SERIOUSLY hope that you have spoken to the seller already?

there is obviously something wrong with this board, if you bought it from a company i suggest you have them swap the PCB for a working one, if you bought it privatley you should start negotiating a refund!
the destruction of everything, is the beginning of something new. your whole world is on fire, and soon, you'll be too..
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

he offered a refund, but I asked if I have it sent for repair and it's not fixable then I'd like a refund. then he told me the shop he got it from would probably fix or replace it for free, so i asked him to have it done and send it back.

no compromising at all. I think i should have it sent to cave for repair then have the repair bill split in half. this sounds fair to me.
Halloween Jack

Post by Halloween Jack »

Strider77 wrote:he offered a refund, but I asked if I have it sent for repair and it's not fixable then I'd like a refund. then he told me the shop he got it from would probably fix or replace it for free, so i asked him to have it done and send it back.

no compromising at all. I think i should have it sent to cave for repair then have the repair bill split in half. this sounds fair to me.
Strider77, as I've already asked several times before - please send the kit back to me asap and I will provide a full refund, no problem at all.

The board has worked faultlessly on my Egret 2 for 3-months, with not a murmur of a problem.

If the PCB proves to be faulty, I will liaise with the vendor and arrange for repair or replacement - it is only 3-months old afterall.

The most important thing to me is to ensure that you are fully reimbursed, but I do need you to return the kit asap.

I cannot offer you any more than that.

Thanks

HJ
Halloween Jack

Post by Halloween Jack »

sven666 wrote:I SERIOUSLY hope that you have spoken to the seller already?

there is obviously something wrong with this board, if you bought it from a company i suggest you have them swap the PCB for a working one, if you bought it privatley you should start negotiating a refund!
I think you've hit the nail on the head sven666, I can't ask the company to swap or repair the board, unless Strider77 agrees to send it back to me in return for a full refund.

I'm asking that Strider77 doesn't contact Cave directly, because it will compromise my ability to appeal to the company - particularly if it does transpire that the board is beyond economical repair.

HJ
SinHo

Post by SinHo »

Halloween Jack wrote:
Strider77 wrote:he offered a refund, but I asked if I have it sent for repair and it's not fixable then I'd like a refund. then he told me the shop he got it from would probably fix or replace it for free, so i asked him to have it done and send it back.

Strider77, as I've already asked several times before - please send the kit back to me asap and I will provide a full refund, no problem at all.

The board has worked faultlessly on my Egret 2 for 3-months, with not a murmur of a problem.

If the PCB proves to be faulty, I will liaise with the vendor and arrange for repair or replacement - it is only 3-months old afterall.

The most important thing to me is to ensure that you are fully reimbursed, but I do need you to return the kit asap.

I cannot offer you any more than that.

Thanks

HJ
Sounds like the seller takes full responsibility for this, that is golden star in my book :)
caldwert

Post by caldwert »

I would try adjusting your voltage. I've seen some Cave boards work at voltages that nothing else requires. Same thing for Battle Bakraid.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

I have ESP Galuda 2, Ibara, Mushi 1, and several other cave boards and they don't have an issue with the voltage on my supergun.

I tried it in a US raiden fighters 2 cab then a japanese namco candy cab, all giving the same issue.

Would this rule out a voltage issue?