The Parodius Series

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
LoneSage

The Parodius Series

Post by LoneSage »

I just got Parodius Deluxe Pack from capn ahar and I'm totally digging it...once I saw the videos of the Parodius games on the Breakdown DVD I knew I had to play them. Unfortunately they're not as manic as I had hoped, and they are a bit easy, but I really like them (the Octopus is my favorite character). Right now I'm incredibly interested in getting Sexy Parodius.

I've played the original Parodius in the Konami MSX Antiques Collection, but it was for only a few minutes so I can't remember much...choppy as hell, though, just like the rest of the MSX games.

What's your thoughts on the Parodius series? It' be awesome to see another Parodius game using the hardware of today.
alpha5099

Post by alpha5099 »

My personal favorite is Jikkyou Oshaberi, followed by Gokujo, and then I haven't really logged enough time with Sexy and Da to rank them. Oshaberi is definitely the easiest, but I really enjoy it, in spite of, or maybe because of, it's easiness. Both Sexy and Da, I can't make it past the 2nd level. That damned giant woman boss in Da, I always die trying to dart between her legs.
df0notfound

Post by df0notfound »

Sexy Parodius is wonderful :) Just wish we could have a GBA Parodius game :(
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

There is a GB b/w Parodius. I tried on in emulation and it's pretty good IMO.
LoneSage

Post by LoneSage »

Darting under that woman's legs is hard at first, but then I realized she wasn't a boss so I fxed my attention on the penguin enemies and then went through the woman's legs.

What games are included in the Parodius Deluxe Pack? And which one is which (i.e. is the first Parodius game "Da" or whatever?)
Super Laydock

Re: The Parodius Series

Post by Super Laydock »

LoneSage wrote: I've played the original Parodius in the Konami MSX Antiques Collection, but it was for only a few minutes so I can't remember much...choppy as hell, though, just like the rest of the MSX games.
You mean "just like the rest of the MSX games I'VE PLAYED", right! ;).
Also the so called choppiness doesn't devaluate the games at all as they are (remain) extremely well playable. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder allright! :D
Barroom hero!
Bathroom hero!
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

LoneSage wrote:What games are included in the Parodius Deluxe Pack? And which one is which (i.e. is the first Parodius game "Da" or whatever?)
"Parodius Da!" and "Gokujo Parodius" are on the Deluxe Pack.

I believe that the original game in the series was just called "Parodius," but that it was somehow "remade" into "Parodius Da!" later on...not sure about that though. Gokujo is next in the series, followed by Forever With Me, and then Sexy Parodius is the last one.
landshark

Post by landshark »

LoneSage wrote:I just got Parodius Deluxe Pack from capn ahar and I'm totally digging it...once I saw the videos of the Parodius games on the Breakdown DVD I knew I had to play them. Unfortunately they're not as manic as I had hoped, and they are a bit easy, but I really like them (the Octopus is my favorite character). Right now I'm incredibly interested in getting Sexy Parodius.

I've played the original Parodius in the Konami MSX Antiques Collection, but it was for only a few minutes so I can't remember much...choppy as hell, though, just like the rest of the MSX games.

What's your thoughts on the Parodius series? It' be awesome to see another Parodius game using the hardware of today.
I'm not sure how the PSX version stands up to the arcade, but they get REALLY hard on full rank in PCB form (well, mame at least).
Zach Keene

Post by Zach Keene »

BulletMagnet wrote:I believe that the original game in the series was just called "Parodius," but that it was somehow "remade" into "Parodius Da!" later on...not sure about that though.
Parodius Da! isn't a remake of Parodius. It's a totally separate game.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Super Laydock wrote:
LoneSage wrote: I've played the original Parodius in the Konami MSX Antiques Collection, but it was for only a few minutes so I can't remember much...choppy as hell, though, just like the rest of the MSX games.
You mean "just like the rest of the MSX games I'VE PLAYED", right! ;).
Also the so called choppiness doesn't devaluate the games at all as they are (remain) extremely well playable. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder allright! :D
I agree, though the MSX Fantasy Zone is an exception. I'm not sure if it's the EMU or the game, but the choppiness of that game really hurts it. It makes the game play slower than it should. The emulator (RuMSX) ran other games fine, though. I think it's the port. I liked what I played of the MSX Parodius, though.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Sexy parodius is the best version graphically. It also introduces manic challenges which seem impossible but usually there is an easy way to accomplish them. If you make the challenge you are treated with a new level.

In level 2 the challenge is to collect some gold tokens I think, you need the help of that character that comes out of the gray bell who snaps them up. Then you can unlock the castlevania level. I once unlocked the 4th or 5th level doing the second challenge, but hardly ever got that far on 1 credit to accomplish much.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
LoneSage

Post by LoneSage »

Ah, thanks for clearing things up guys :)

Take off those foggy glasses Laydock and play MSX games again! The frame rate is atrocious, which makes the games (that I've played ;) ) choppy, which in turn makes some of the games a lil bit unplayable.

Then again I never grew up with the MSX, so I don't get fuzzy memories while playing Ping Pong ;)
landshark

Post by landshark »

neorichieb1971 wrote:Sexy parodius is the best version graphically. It also introduces manic challenges which seem impossible but usually there is an easy way to accomplish them. If you make the challenge you are treated with a new level.

In level 2 the challenge is to collect some gold tokens I think, you need the help of that character that comes out of the gray bell who snaps them up. Then you can unlock the castlevania level. I once unlocked the 4th or 5th level doing the second challenge, but hardly ever got that far on 1 credit to accomplish much.
I love the music of the castlevania level.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

BulletMagnet wrote: I believe that the original game in the series was just called "Parodius," but that it was somehow "remade" into "Parodius Da!" later on...not sure about that though. Gokujo is next in the series, followed by Forever With Me, and then Sexy Parodius is the last one.
I think you got Parodius confused with Twinbee. "Twinbee Da!" is a remake of the original Twinbee for the b/w Gameboy. However, the MSX Parodius is just called Parodius, but "Parodius Da!" is a different game.
df0notfound

Post by df0notfound »

neorichieb1971 wrote: In level 2 the challenge is to collect some gold tokens I think, you need the help of that character that comes out of the gray bell who snaps them up. Then you can unlock the castlevania level. I once unlocked the 4th or 5th level doing the second challenge, but hardly ever got that far on 1 credit to accomplish much.
castlevania is if you fail that level, i think its bubble bath babes if you pass it. (spent about 2 months playing this game several times a night last year)
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

BrianC wrote:I think you got Parodius confused with Twinbee. "Twinbee Da!" is a remake of the original Twinbee for the b/w Gameboy. However, the MSX Parodius is just called Parodius, but "Parodius Da!" is a different game.
Hm, maybe that was it. Darn Konami and its inconsistent sequel-naming habits, heh.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

BulletMagnet wrote:
BrianC wrote:I think you got Parodius confused with Twinbee. "Twinbee Da!" is a remake of the original Twinbee for the b/w Gameboy. However, the MSX Parodius is just called Parodius, but "Parodius Da!" is a different game.
Hm, maybe that was it. Darn Konami and its inconsistent sequel-naming habits, heh.
Yeah, IMO, the most confusing of the sequel names are the Gradius games for the MSX. The Gradius 2/Nemesis 2 for MSX is actually a MSX version of the X68000 Nemesis '90. Nemesis 3/Gofer no Yabou: Episode 2 (no Gradius in the title) is actually a game loosely based on the arcade Gradius 2.

There's also the GB Gradius games. The first GB Gradius was originally titled Nemesis in both the US and Japan, but it got renamed to Gradius when it was put in the Konami GB Collection. Gradius II GB was originally named Nemesis II and was renamed Gradius: The Interstellar Assault for the US. It was also renamed to Gradius II when put in the Japanese Konami GB Collection. Gradius II GB also has nothing to do with the arcade Gradius II.

Compared to those Nemesis/Gradius games, the Parodius sequel names are much more consistant.
Super Laydock

Post by Super Laydock »

LoneSage wrote:Ah, thanks for clearing things up guys :)

Take off those foggy glasses Laydock and play MSX games again! The frame rate is atrocious, which makes the games (that I've played ;) ) choppy, which in turn makes some of the games a lil bit unplayable.

Then again I never grew up with the MSX, so I don't get fuzzy memories while playing Ping Pong ;)
Hi, actually It's not THAT long ago since I played games on the MSX (Ocaasionally I still by a game for it,recently got a complete copy of Space Manbow to replace my cart only version). But you're probably a bit right in that my view on the system is coloured by loving it since I was a teenager.:)

That said you seem to only base your comments on the games in the Saturn MSX Deluxe pack. ALL games featured on that disc are MSX 1 games. That system was VERY inferior to the MSX2 let alone MSX 2+ and Turbo R. So please don't say generalize by saying stuff like "just like the rest of MSX games" as it is not fair to base such a judgement on only playing (emulated) MSX 1 games and not having tried MSX 2 or 2+ ones.
MSX 2 corrected lot's of problems with the MSX1 (like the very an"noying "color overflow" issues), I am not saying it was without problems itself but certainly a huge improvement over MSX1.

You're right about lots of MSX1 (and some MSX2 ones too) games having choppy scrolling, but this doesn't affect gameplay at all since it doesn't affect movement of the ship or causes for slowdown and stuff. I am talking about the Konami games now though, as there are other shmups on the system that are a bit unplayable indeed.

So do yourself a favor and don't discard all the games on the system because of your bad experience with the emulated collection. It (certainly MSX 2) REALLY is a system worth owning for shmups, and not only for people with rosy coloured memories of the system. :). No one in their right mind can say games like Space Manbow, Aleste 2 or (Super) Laydock 2 aren't worth play imo. And though primitive in looks and not having smooth scrolling, Parodius too is great fun to play and not worthy of being put down like you did. Anyway where else can you play this game
than on MSX, right!? :D

Oh and make all the fun you want about the ping pong game, but it IS very playable and good fun once in a while (well actually WAS, as I don't have the game anymore). It does look very ugly now though if that was what you meant, and I can understand someone not having played the game around it's time of release thinking about it the way you do. ;) :)
Barroom hero!
Bathroom hero!
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

landshark wrote:I love the music of the castlevania level.
I madea site that describes the origins of each music track in every Parodius game. It's at http://www.rf-emporium.net/parodius/
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

BulletMagnet wrote:Hm, maybe that was it. Darn Konami and its inconsistent sequel-naming habits, heh.
Nah, bless Konami for all this complicated stuff! It they went for a boring Twinbee 1, 2, 3; Parodius 1, 2, 3... What would be talk about in this forum? :wink:
X - P - B
LoneSage

Post by LoneSage »

Hey Laydock, before you told me I never knew there were different MSX's ;) my bad.
Super Laydock

Post by Super Laydock »

^^ alrighty then... :roll:

* removes drops of sarcasm coming from above * :wink:
Barroom hero!
Bathroom hero!
LoneSage

Post by LoneSage »

No I'm serious! I'm not very familiar with European and Japanese exclusive consoles :oops:
Soldato J

Post by Soldato J »

Sexy Paro rules. Where else can you shoot the balls of a giant Tanuki?

(yes, that says balls)
Blue Lander

Post by Blue Lander »

The first time I played MSX games was when I got the Konami compilation for the Saturn. I pretty much thought "What the hell is this crap? The scrolling is insanely choppy and the graphics are worse than the NES" and tossed the CD aside.

Then, after I became a big Compile fan, I bought myself a real MSX 2 computer. I pretty much only played MSX 2 games for awhile because, like Super Laydock says, they're far superior to MSX 1 games as far as technology goes. The graphics are around the level of the SMS or TG-16, and it doesn't have the scrolling issues. I had no desire to play the old MSX 1 games because I thought they were all unplayable garbage.

Then I downloaded a Konami collection disk with Gradius on it, although I didn't know it at the time. This was just a couple months ago. I loaded the game by accident, since the game menu used Japanese game names. I've never liked Gradius ever since I was a child and played it on the NES, but I thought "eh, what the hell" and started playing it.

The graphics were crude, mostly single colored, and had very little detail. The screen didn't scroll, it jumped. But the more I played it, I realised that it was an extremely playable game! I noticed it had some features that the NES version didn't, and even a few that the arcade version lacked. That MSX game turned me into a Gradius fan. I played it over and over again, and eventually got the PC Engine and X68000 versions. Because of my newfound respect for the MSX 1, I started playing other Konami MSX sidescrollers like Gradius II, Salamander, Parodius, and so on. I discovered that once you get past the graphics and scrolling, all of those games are extremely playable and a ton of fun. The deeper you dig into the MSX 1's library, the more outstanding games you find.

Now, nobody can accuse me of looking back on the MSX with rose tinted glasses, because I had never even heard of the MSX until 5 or 6 years ago. I didn't grow up with the machine. And my initial impression was like Lonesaga, that it was a piece of garbage that couldn't compete with a NES or Commodore 64. But I suggest that anybody that initially dismissed the MSX do themselves a favor and take another look at it.

But back on topic: There's a version of Parodius Da for the X68000. It's the only version of the game I've ever played, so I can't compare it to the PC Engine or Saturn/Playstation or arcade versions. But in comparing screenshots of it to the arcade original, it seems spot on. It's lots of fun to play, too. There's really no point in searching it out if you have the Saturn/Playstation compilation though, I guess.
Super Laydock

Post by Super Laydock »

^^ right on!

@ Lonesage: I really thought I sensed a lot of sarcasm in your comment.
Sorry for assuming the wrong thing there. Hope you'll at least give
the system a second chance now. Try it on a good emulator on PC and check some of the beforementioned games. If you do, I would be very interested to hear if it changed your mind or not. :)
Barroom hero!
Bathroom hero!
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Yeah, i tried a lot of MSX games on emu and I like it quite a bit too. I really wish Zanac EX was included with Zanac X Zanac. I love the NES version, but Zanac EX is a slight bit better. Gameplay wise, it's extremely similar to the NES one, but the graphics are better and it's cool seeing the ship change shape for different power ups. The are also other great shmups for it like the Gradius series, Parodius, Galaga, a cool updated Xevious, Aleste, Aleste 2, Guardic, Space Manbow, and much more.

Back on topic: I tried a few Parodius games on emu and I like what I have played. I love how the music is more cartoon like than Gradius. It's interesting how Chatting Parodius has a ton of voice for a SNES game, though it can get on your nerves after a while. I wish I understood Japanese.
Zach Keene

Post by Zach Keene »

BrianC wrote:It's interesting how Chatting Parodius has a ton of voice for a SNES game, though it can get on your nerves after a while.
I dunno about the SNES version, but you can turn off the commentary in the Saturn version by turning the "Oshaberi" option off.

Edit: I second Blue Lander's comments as well. My first impressions of the MSX Gradius games were something along the lines of "what the hell is this shit?" but I now consider Gradius 2 among my favorites in the series. I like the others now as well, though the original Parodius never grew on me for some reason.

Edit 2: upon re-reading Blue Lander's message it seems I had almost the exact same thought he did. :)
Super Laydock

Post by Super Laydock »

As to actually make a contributive post for the topic I guess I'd state I love the over the top wackyness of the series very much.
A I said before on the old forum I really hope that after Gradius III&IV and Gradius V's release Konami decides to get of the "serious" route and bring the Parodius series to a 128bit system. Just thinking about a new Parodius with the same graphical finesse of Gradius V make me start to wet my pants. But after leaving out the Moai heads in GV, I hope that IF they decide to please us with a new Parodius they DO NOT leave out huge penguins.

Oh and check out this translation with pics of the old MSX game's manual.
Especially the story is worth reading. :)

http://www.alsoftware.com.br/adrianpage ... us/manual/

Tako kicks ass! :D
Barroom hero!
Bathroom hero!
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Parodius da! was released in Europe for Snes. Interestingly the story's premises are very similar... They talk of corrupt humanity and kids always at the tv... Although I'm pretty sure they skipped the "democracy vs communism" part.
X - P - B