Vogatek MkII

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
lawnspic

Vogatek MkII

Post by lawnspic »

Before starting my own project i was gonna buy an MkII (for NTSC users). At the time he was out of stock. Now that they are back i would recommend one based on the simple design and outstanding picture as seen in a previous thread. Romeo the owner seems very helpful as well. Anybody looking to get into PCB's and are not ready for a cab yet should look.

Also i asked Romeo and consolizing this would be a snap

http://cgi.ebay.com/NeoGeo-MVS-and-JAMM ... .m63.l1177
Iron Maiden: "It was dead, but alive at the same time."
rolins

Post by rolins »

It's an interesting kit. I asked the seller about the MkII and said the board uses a AD725 chip. It's a low end ntsc encoder but at least this includes RGB and sync adjusters. It's more expensive than the MkI and MkIII but half the cost of a Neobitz or JROK. If I had some money left over I'd buy one just to try it out.
rolins

Post by rolins »

I just want to give a update and say I bought a Vogatek MkII. Every arcade pcb I used with it displays beautifully on my Sony Wega 32". This supergun has s-video and composite, and can output a image through both of them at the same time. Composite is absolutely horrible, but the picture quality from a s-video is fantastic. Not as great as my XRGB-2 but the s-video from a Vogatek MkII is just a pleasing to the eyes. I really dig this supergun.

Today I tried it out on my newest pcb, Viper Phase 1 which has that odd sync 54hz. When I first powered it, the picture was steady and clear -- not rolling, a good sign. :) The colors were overly bright though, but it was an easy fix because the MkII has pots for adjusting RGB brightness. Even my Outzone pcb worked without fail.

For anyone looking for a super cheap and complete supergun w/ s-video out, then I recommend the Vogatek MkII. It doesn't look flashy or sleak as a custom SG out there, but it works with Toaplan and Seibu pcbs, and MVS too. :D

I'll see if I can get some pictures of it in action.