my new shmup shrine- MUST SEE

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
cavemaniac

my new shmup shrine- MUST SEE

Post by cavemaniac »

Yes, my credit card took a hit, but i have no regrets.
My 24 inch dell monitor came in. This little beauty can support 1920x1200 for your computer (in other words not a shitty lcd tv) AND it has built in component inputs (as well as shitty composite and super vhs). The picture quality is stunning.

Hori arcade stick + dell = ultimate shmup heaven.
mushi will have a lovely home..damn i can't wait.

The monitor is a STEAL for 1019. Even Apple had to lower prices on their 23 inch..yet it is still 500 bucks more (and does not have all the inputs like component)

I don't think you can beat the image quality even if you got the xrgb+

buy monitor here
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/prod ... nk_number=

view my arcade shmup shrine here.
http://homepage.mac.com/tonesto/PhotoAlbum18.html
Last edited by cavemaniac on Thu May 05, 2005 2:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
uwfan

Post by uwfan »

dam, now i want one. :wink:
"It could be that my view on the absurdness of this story is not objective and you don't think it to be unusual at all but I can't help being impressed by this chain of events."
cavemaniac

Post by cavemaniac »

If you guys are bored, you can also download a few remixes I did of classic neo geo tunes. (on the same mac omepage click on public folder) I did it for a pal of mine to post on his website. But since you guys are hardcore shmup fans like me, I gotz to hook you all up. undamned! its neogeoholic by the way if you are reading this. I forgot my password for my other account so I made a new one under cave maniac.
the2bears

Post by the2bears »

That is a nice monitor... can you TATE it? Wow, someone else with a credit card in the same state mine is :)

Bill
mannerbot

Post by mannerbot »

Yeah, it's easy to tate the Dell flatscreens. Are there any problems with "ghosting" on your monitor? I'm probably going to be getting a 2001FP the next time they're on sale.
cavemaniac

Post by cavemaniac »

the2bears wrote:That is a nice monitor... can you TATE it? Wow, someone else with a credit card in the same state mine is :)

Bill
http://img.dell.com/images/global/produ ... 50x250.jpg

oh yes of course. dell supports the shmup camp.
cavemaniac

Post by cavemaniac »

mannerbot wrote:Yeah, it's easy to tate the Dell flatscreens. Are there any problems with "ghosting" on your monitor? I'm probably going to be getting a 2001FP the next time they're on sale.

zero ghosting. perfect picture quality. Though I admit dodon and all 2d shooters will look a bit pexlated/blocky compared to the newer hi res games...the quality is SUPER crisp and clean. it doesn't get any better than this folks.

Gradius V is sublime on this monitor.

as for the 2100fp, I recommend the wide screen version ...but thats just my taste.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/prod ... ry_id=4009
Last edited by cavemaniac on Thu May 05, 2005 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
visuatrox

Post by visuatrox »

cavemaniac wrote:
the2bears wrote:That is a nice monitor... can you TATE it? Wow, someone else with a credit card in the same state mine is :)

Bill
http://img.dell.com/images/global/produ ... 50x250.jpg

oh yes of course. dell supports the shmup camp.
Does it rotate counterclockwise too?! (if not does it look possible to modify it)

(Oh and yes Dell supports the shmup camp even more than they probably realise, it is the paycheck from them that has financed my recent shmup buying sprees 8) ).
mannerbot

Post by mannerbot »

I'm pretty sick of having a widescreen monitor, so NO to the 2005FPW even though it's cheaper.
SheSaidDutch

Post by SheSaidDutch »

*Looks at his yellow 14inch TV/Video combo* :?
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

Wow, very nice set up, cavemaniac. Also, very interesting to hear there is a monitor now that may be a solution to those iffy LCDs for HD gaming/shmupping. Great pictures and oh yeah, welcome to the forum. :)
Davey

Post by Davey »

Meh. LCDs don't look so great when they're not set to their native resolution, and I don't know of any 1200x1920 shmups.
sffan

Post by sffan »

Does the screen look dimmer when viewed from an angle? That's what I hate about LCDs. If a friend watches you play he doesn't get the full effect.
SHOOT IT QUICKLY !
cavemaniac

Post by cavemaniac »

Davey wrote:Meh. LCDs don't look so great when they're not set to their native resolution, and I don't know of any 1200x1920 shmups.
i admit that the 2d shmups are not hi res and do look pixelated when compared to higher res games, but the image quality is crisp and clean nonetheless with the component input (and games like R-type and Gradius V look incredible. I would venture to say that the image quality for my ps2+component cable is as good as dreamcast + vga ---> to lcd. shikigami 2 on dreamcast via the vga adapter is super sweet. Now with this dell monitor, I can have the same quality coming out of a ps2 finally.
I will post more pics in a few days.
cavemaniac

Post by cavemaniac »

sffan wrote:Does the screen look dimmer when viewed from an angle? That's what I hate about LCDs. If a friend watches you play he doesn't get the full effect.
You can see the action going on with all it's glory with very minimal dimming from the sides.
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

I've been using my Dell 2001FP for over a year now, and I happen to quite like it. I've got my XBox on the S-video connection and my Cube on the composite (mostly because I don't have a good S-video cable for it.) There's a good chance I'll end up moving up to a 2405FPW when the price comes down some though. You just can't beat the price, especially if you can catch Dell's coupon deals. This one actually handles non-native resolutions surprisingly well, although I'll still run stuff in native resolution if I can.
We want you, save our planet!
Xbox Live: Vexorg | The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0