Image Fight / X-Multiply Pack

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Dartagnan1083

Image Fight / X-Multiply Pack

Post by Dartagnan1083 »

I've heard of this game, but have never been able to find it on ebay.
Is it really uncommon? was it ever released?
currently collecting a crapload of coasters, carts, controllers, and consoles
Track my "Progress"
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

It was released, although while scouring eBay I don't see it very often...I know it was on the Saturn, it might've been on the PS1 as well, but I'm not sure.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

yeah, it's also on PSone. Not so rare. markinjapan should have it, or at least have box cover, if you need evidence :)
X - P - B
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Yeah, it is pretty common. And BTW, I have been told that, quality-wise, the shmup "packs" that came out for both the PS1 and Saturn run the same on both consoles.
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

i was under the impression that this double pack was rather rare (but not necessarily expensive). oh well.
I have no sig whatsoever.
GaijinPunch

Post by GaijinPunch »

You guys are high. It's the hardest of the Arcade Gears games to find and will run a lot, considering it's an older game.

Saturn listings

Playstation listings

Playstation version seems the way to go, but you should dig up Recap's old post of "arcade perfect ports" he did on some other board. I believe all the rcade Gears games were there. He trashed one of them (I think Wonder 3).
You're still also going to need someone to surrogate bid for you unless it pops up on Ebay.
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

i really want Wonder 3.
Recap

Post by Recap »

captain ahar wrote:i really want Wonder 3.
No, you don't. Not in its Arcade Gears form, at least.
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

too bad Chariot and Roosters had an interesting style about them. :cry:
alpha5099

Post by alpha5099 »

Recap wrote:
captain ahar wrote:i really want Wonder 3.
No, you don't. Not in its Arcade Gears form, at least.
What's wrong with the Arcade Gears release?
CecilMcW00t

Post by CecilMcW00t »

I have the Arcade Gears release of Wonder 3 on PSX. I don't see anything wrong with it? Is there something missing in the port I'm not aware of?

Anyway if you can track down Wonder 3 it's highly recommended. :D
"I've always wanted a thing called Tuna Sasimi!"
Recap

Post by Recap »

Wonder 3 / Arcade Gears. We all know the port was not from Capcom. Believe it or not, Xing did a poor work here. Animation frames are missed in Chariot and Midnight Wanderers, and the difficulty level and attack patterns of some enemies were changed. Control is unresponsive in Don't Pull compared to the arcade version. A curious difference is the copyright screen: This time you can find a Tezuka Productions copyright absent in the arcade version. It seems that using the name of Tezuka's old comic could cause some legal problems.
CecilMcW00t

Post by CecilMcW00t »

Oh I see... Thanks for clearing that up. Yet I've never played it in the Arcade/MAME so these differences didn't affect me much... :oops:
"I've always wanted a thing called Tuna Sasimi!"
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

I have the double pack "Image Fight/ X-Multiply" for the Sega Saturn, and guess what...it ain't all that!

Image Fight can also be found on the PC-Engine, and X-Multiply? Well, it looks and sounds like it could be on the Genesis/Megadrive. Now, thats not a bad thing, just don't expect too much here. Think R-Type meets Wings of Wor, but not as good as either one.

The "pack" shouldn't be too expensive as far as I know.
BTW: Mine is not for sale, as it would be "illegal" (see other thread :lol: ) and the "collector" in me prohibits me from selling some old school shooter shit.
MadSteelDarkness

Post by MadSteelDarkness »

I own the PSX version, and don't remember it costing me too much, but things may have changed since then. The quality of the ports seems quite good, but I've never been able to compare them to their arcade counterparts.

I quite like this comp. It's cool to have two non-R-Type shmups by Irem together. I find myself playing X-Multiply a lot more than Image Fight though, partially because of it's great atmosphere, and partially because Image Fight owns me every time I play it... :roll:
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

MadSteelDarkness wrote:I own the PSX version, and don't remember it costing me too much, but things may have changed since then.
Well, yeah, 6 years ago, the pack was going on sale for $40 new (as opposed to ~$45-60 complete now). Then again, many expensive games nowadays were cheaper then.

Image Fight may be an old game but it's an excellent showcase of memory gameplay at its best.
Pda

Post by Pda »

hi Recap,whats up?(soy lockyfr del Forum Postback).

Can you provide me please the link where you were speaking about Arcade perfect Ports?Speaking about Tenchi Wo kurau II inside?Is it better on PS or SS?

Thanks,
A.
Recap

Post by Recap »

Pda wrote:hi Recap,whats up?(soy lockyfr del Forum Postback).

Can you provide me please the link where you were speaking about Arcade perfect Ports?Speaking about Tenchi Wo kurau II inside?Is it better on PS or SS?
Hey, locky!

It was not an easy task, since JJ's board migrated and I've had to find it (it still doesn't have a working internal search tool, either, go figure):

http://gxboards.lithium.com/messages/me ... t&id=zzedk

The thread is old, some things need to be updated (as my poor English by then), but the entry for Ten-Ku II is correct: visually the same as its arcade counterpart, music is kind of remixed, sound FX are less crisp and no 3-players option. Never saw the PS version but it will be probably the same with longer loading times. The SS version came a bit later and that always implied a better work in Capcom games.
Last edited by Recap on Thu May 05, 2005 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pda

Post by Pda »

Thanks a lot mate.

I guess you are right,though Tenchi II on PS is 2500-3000 yens more pricey than its Saturn counterpart,i mean in Japanese used stores(im in Japan right now).

Might give it try someday if i find cash.I have mind the SS version but never played the PS one on my own too.

By the way,are you still looking for a complete copy of Magical Pop'n(old story).Got one for you,if interested ;)
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

Wow, that board brings back memories. I was wondering what happened to it since I couldn't find it anywhere.

And impeccable work, Recap! I actually remember that thread; totally forgot that it was you who listed all that.
Recap

Post by Recap »

Pda wrote:Thanks a lot mate.

I guess you are right,though Tenchi II on PS is 2500-3000 yens more pricey than its Saturn counterpart,i mean in Japanese used stores(im in Japan right now).

Might give it try someday if i find cash.I have mind the SS version but never played the PS one on my own too.

By the way,are you still looking for a complete copy of Magical Pop'n(old story).Got one for you,if interested ;)
Old PS games are usually pretty more expensive than the SS ones, with no apparent reason. Probably demand-related.

I'm not looking for any SFC game currently (or for any second hand video-game, actually), but thanks. The truth is that I sold my console before moving to my new apartment. Did you like the game, btw?

And impeccable work, Recap!
Hey, thanks. I'll update it now I know where it is one of these days.
Ord

Post by Ord »

GaijinPunch wrote:You guys are high. It's the hardest of the Arcade Gears games to find and will run a lot, considering it's an older game.
Really? I picked it up on ebay last year for $25 & Gun Frontier for $35. I didn't think it was that rare at all.
Ikaruga review now up in PLASMA BLOSSOM
llabnip

Post by llabnip »

Recap wrote:Old PS games are usually pretty more expensive than the SS ones, with no apparent reason. Probably demand-related.
It's defintely demand. There were approx 12 million Saturns units produced (and less than 2 million sold in the US). There are now over 100 million Playstation (1+2) consoles produced with millions more being produced every year (last I checked you could still get new PS1's for under $50 and used for $20 at many places). There are far more people in the market for used PS games than Saturn games.
llabnip - DaveB
Once more the light shines brightly in sector 2814.
GaijinPunch

Post by GaijinPunch »

Really? I picked it up on ebay last year for $25 & Gun Frontier for $35. I didn't think it was that rare at all.
You got lucky. I sold my Gun Frontier there for $60 just 3 weeks ago.