Shmup minigames in Goemon 1&2 GBA - including Xexex!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Cthulhu

Shmup minigames in Goemon 1&2 GBA - including Xexex!

Post by Cthulhu »

I played around with my newly acquired Ganbare Goemon 1&2 earlier tonite, and was pleasantly surprised to find two shmup minigames in it. The first is Gradius, which is a pretty nice rendition of the first level of Gradius 1.

The second is quite amusing - the first level of Xexex! Super tentacle charge shot and everything. To my knowledge that makes this the first home release of any part of Xexex in any way :lol: . It's only one level as well, so I wouldn't run out and buy the game for just the shmup minigames.

If you like the Goemon SNES games, however, it's definitely fun, and the mini-shmups are a great bonus~
alpha5099

Post by alpha5099 »

Isn't the fruit level in Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius a parody of Xexex? Not quite the same, but it's sort of appeared in the console realm.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I'm glad those mini games stayed intact from the SNES versions. Goemon 4 SNES has an updated version of Time Pilot unlockable. Unlike the others, I think it might actually be a full fleged game. BTW, I did have an earlier topic about the mini games being in the GBA version, but I'm not sure if it survived the crash this forum had a few weeks ago.
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

I'm having a hard time playing the whack-a-mole mini game. I used to be SO good at that one on the Super Famicom, I could stare at the centre of the screen and catch every mole with my peripheral vision.
But I really can't handle how the buttons were mapped here using the A/B + D-pad combo... couldn't there be an option to use direct button map with A/B/L/R as well...?

I know it's just a minigame, but I used to be able to make so much money on it, and now I can't even break even.. :(
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

Is it the Japan or World version?
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

I wasn't aware of a non-Japanese version of the GBA compilation existing. If there is, cool!
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

No, the Xexex level...is it like the Japan or World version of the original game?
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

Wow, I need to pick this up. I never played the SNES Goemon games. Only one I have played was the 2D 1/2 Goemon N64 platformer. How much can it be had for?
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

My hands... numb... been playing this game all day! Sure brings back memories!
I don't think I ever beat this game back in the day though, even with the infinite hamburgers code (that railcar level would make me lose all my lives..)
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Dylan1CC wrote:Wow, I need to pick this up. I never played the SNES Goemon games. Only one I have played was the 2D 1/2 Goemon N64 platformer. How much can it be had for?
The GBA Goemon 1/2 sells for around 40 dollars. The US version of first SNES one can be found for as cheap as five dollars (not complete, though). The second SNES Goemon can be found for 25-30 dollars in complete condition.
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

BrianC wrote:
Dylan1CC wrote:Wow, I need to pick this up. I never played the SNES Goemon games. Only one I have played was the 2D 1/2 Goemon N64 platformer. How much can it be had for?
The GBA Goemon 1/2 sells for around 40 dollars. The US version of first SNES one can be found for as cheap as five dollars (not complete, though). The second SNES Goemon can be found for 25-30 dollars in complete condition.
Thanks, Brian. I really need to get into this series more.