*For the super techies* Konami GX: Swapping ROM boards

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
robivy64

*For the super techies* Konami GX: Swapping ROM boards

Post by robivy64 »

I have a Twinbee Yahho!! PCB, which of course runs on the Konami GX hardware. Recently the audio DRAM decided to take a dump, and showed up as "BAD" during the system check and the game will not boot.

I hopped on ebay and purchased Konami Open Golf Championship, which uses the same motherboard as Twinbee Yahhoo, with the intention of swapping the ROM boards. I swap the ROM boards, and now I get "22D/M BAD".

The original golf game boots and runs fine, with 22D/M showing as OK. Chip 22D/M is an 8-pin 256 Bit serial EPROM (93c46, soldered).

Any ideas??
Ex-Cyber

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Is 22D/M the same chip on the Twinbee board as well?
robivy64

Post by robivy64 »

Ex-Cyber wrote:Is 22D/M the same chip on the Twinbee board as well?
Yep
robivy64

Post by robivy64 »

I'll also say that Twinbee is Japanese, and the Golf game is US. Perhaps the GX hardware is region locked?
Stefan_L

Post by Stefan_L »

There is a button (marked TEST SW) next to the jamma connector hold it down while starting the game and it will work.
robivy64

Post by robivy64 »

Stefan_L wrote:There is a button (marked TEST SW) next to the jamma connector hold it down while starting the game and it will work.
I'll give that a shot when I get home, thanks! I assume you have seen this error yourself?
robivy64

Post by robivy64 »

Stefan_L wrote:There is a button (marked TEST SW) next to the jamma connector hold it down while starting the game and it will work.

WIN

Thank you sir! :D