How good is the MAS Super Pro Stick?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Stormwatch

How good is the MAS Super Pro Stick?

Post by Stormwatch »

Hai guise, I was looking for an arcade controller and found this in an auction site...

Interesting: Playstation and Saturn. It costs $55, used, but the seller says it works perfectly. Are MAS sticks good? You people think it's worth it?
Damocles

Post by Damocles »

MAS sticks use Happ/IL parts, so they're generally quality rigs. Happ Comp? ...less likely to be an Ultimate or P360. However, they are known to not work with some converters. It's definately worth it, even if you have to replace a few Cherry switches.
Stormwatch

Post by Stormwatch »

Hmm... I thought again, the fact that it's used is a turn off for me. It could be working yet worn out... and there are other, brand new ones, in the $70~$80 range... like these:

Image . Image

Whatcha think, guise? Remember, it's essential that I DON'T have to meddle with its insides, I don't know how to work a soldering iron or anything about electronics!
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

It's been said that one could take a sledge hammer to a Happ Competition arcade joystick and it'd still work after a well-place blow to it. So such used Happ arcade controls are easy to replace if you want the the newness of an arcade stick. Such a used Happ arcade would be broken in and have a different handling characteristic. Whatever your cup of tea is... ^_~

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Damocles

Post by Damocles »

I don't think I've ever seen either of those sticks before. It could be me, but the buttons on both look suspect. You might check on the SRK forums to see if anyone has any experience with those. That being said, check to see what stick is in each, and if the buttons are arcade spec.

As for the idea of a used MAS stick...if you're concerned about wear on the parts it's not hard at all to pop it open and replace the stick/switches. I would personally go with the MAS or a custom stick since you seem to be into Western-style sticks.

...that being said...I'm digging that black box...except for all the face buttons.
Stormwatch

Post by Stormwatch »

Damocles wrote:I don't think I've ever seen either of those sticks before. It could be me, but the buttons on both look suspect.
No wonder, the sellers build them with MDF, formica, and arcade parts. Also, they let you choose the button colors.
Damocles wrote:I would personally go with the MAS or a custom stick since you seem to be into Western-style sticks.
You mean, "water drop" versus "ball"? Either one is good for me, although I guess western would be a bit more comfortable.

(It's funny that water drops in real life are not shaped like cartoon water drops at all. =P)
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

You can't get a better western stock stick than the Mas. Top US OG fighting game players use Mas with its all-Happ parts. That said, I think the button layout and art in that stick places it as a Super Pro Stick from a decade ago.

I don't know of any stick builder that will sell you a new stick for $70-80. Generally, you're looking at $100+ for something built from scratch or based off an existing stick with quality buttons. You won't have to meddle with the insides of any stick although make sure you get a reliable builder if you're going that route.
Damocles

Post by Damocles »

Stormwatch wrote:You mean, "water drop" versus "ball"? Either one is good for me, although I guess western would be a bit more comfortable.
Nah...western sticks being generally heavier, compared to light action JP sticks.