Psikyo PCB sound problems?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
shmup-o

Psikyo PCB sound problems?

Post by shmup-o »

Hi all, just bought a Strikers 1945 III board off of Ebay, but I cannot for the life of me get the sound to work. I have a Strikers 1945 board that just so happens to have the same problem, so I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong or if there is an existing problem with the sound pots or something. These boards are the only ones that I cannot get the sound to work, everything else I've hooked up has worked correctly.

Just looking for confirmation that I'm not crazy I guess.

Thanks!
Mr-Megalo

Post by Mr-Megalo »

might be worth posting more info, like what kind of cabinet your running these on, or if you have tried the PCB's at fault on other setups to confirm it is actually a PCB issue - I say this becauseof issues with Ibara running on an Egret 2 and I think IIRC the Egret 3/AWSD, initially on power up no sound, flick the switch over to stereo then back to mono and it works fine.

some PCB's dont like the speakers - (negative) on the speakers being tied to the cabs ground
do you play games ?
www.we-play-games.com
shmup-o

Post by shmup-o »

My cab is a Namco Exceleena (blue) and I have no other means of testing the PCBs.

The Exceleena only outputs default PCB sound, I have to wire stereo to an amplifier and then up to the speakers if I want stereo.
some PCB's dont like the speakers - (negative) on the speakers being tied to the cabs ground
hmmm...if my cab has 3 connectors, I would assume that one of those is ground? I'll play around with different combinations of the 3 speaker connections.

Thanks!
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Nothing special about the exceleena blue sound setup if everything is stock. It is a bit different than other cabs, as it has independent volume control for both speakers (even though its not amplified).

But I'm willing to bet you don't have the original sound/wiring. Am I right? On my original exceleena blue, there are two sound connectors, one near the jamma connector (two prong connector) and then a 4 prong connector further inside the cab leading to the speakers.
shmup-o

Post by shmup-o »

Dave_K. wrote:Nothing special about the exceleena blue sound setup if everything is stock. It is a bit different than other cabs, as it has independent volume control for both speakers (even though its not amplified).

But I'm willing to bet you don't have the original sound/wiring. Am I right?
I think everything is stock, the guy I bought it from imported it. The lucky find is a story in itself...

Took what I thought were the grounds off and both Strikers 1945 and Strikers 1999 played with sound - freaking awesome!

Now I'm wondering if my Strikers 1945 II is a boot since it plays with the grounds on! Looks legit though - I'm not going to worry about it.

Thanks!
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

shmup-o wrote:
Dave_K. wrote:Nothing special about the exceleena blue sound setup if everything is stock. It is a bit different than other cabs, as it has independent volume control for both speakers (even though its not amplified).

But I'm willing to bet you don't have the original sound/wiring. Am I right?
I think everything is stock, the guy I bought it from imported it. The lucky find is a story in itself...

Took what I thought were the grounds off and both Strikers 1945 and Strikers 1999 played with sound - freaking awesome!

Now I'm wondering if my Strikers 1945 II is a boot since it plays with the grounds on! Looks legit though - I'm not going to worry about it.

Thanks!
For shmup-o,

If your Strikers 1945 II PCB has Psikyo factory stickers on some of the EPROMs, then it's a geniune Psikyo produced one. It would also have the Psikyo name printed on the edge portion of the PCB itself as well. Bootlegged PCBs don't have such markings in the first place.

It's buyer beware of bootlegged PCBs. Always insist on purchasing/playing with the geniune PCB article and you'll be fine. Some reliable arcade PCB shops have sold bootlegged PCBs from time to time without checking to see if they are or not. ^_~

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~