Star Soldier for the PSP coming.

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Recap

Star Soldier for the PSP coming.

Post by Recap »

Source: http://www.famicom-plaza.com/news/news.html

Some details: Hudson Soft as the publisher. Release date: July 21st. Seems that the game will use a vertical orientation of the machine, with some kind of autofire function.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Man, I'm a sucker for the Soldier games. I might have to consider PSP now, with this and Sengoku Cannon...

But a Soldier game in TATE format? Travesty. :lol: Hopefully the autofire won't be a crippled one like in the PS2/GC remake.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Recap

Post by Recap »

Sengoku Cannon also has a release date, by the way, according to Famicom Plaza: July 28th.
BIG

Post by BIG »

Hot damn! First it was Mushihimesama,now it's Star Soldier and Sengoku Cannon.. :shock:

July is going to be one hot month! :)

B-
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

True, no Star Soldier game had tate orientation before...

But I think the PSP screen may be too damn wide to make a vert with yoko orientation...
Thunder Force
Location: research and development facility for Vasteel Technology.

Post by Thunder Force »

Saw this translation posted elsewhere...
- 16:9 full widescreen ratio.
- Expanded full widescreen ratio to take advantage of the PSP's screen.
- Autofire is also enabled for the main shot.
- Star Soldier's "Caravan Mode" is available for score attack play mode for hi-score junkies.
- For the PSP version there are 3 brand new craft to use in the game with their own original main shot and sub shots.
- National Ranking Board - The legendary Caravan Homepage is reopened! When the game is over you will get a password which you can post on the website to compete in a national ranking tournament, the top scorers will get special prizes.
- Release date: 21 July 2005 (5040 yen)
"Thunder Force VI does not suck, shut your fucking mouth." ~ Shane Bettenhausen
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

Sweet! A return to the Summer Carnival competition days of the PCE, huh? :)

Anyways, this sounds great but why can't games like this and Namco museum use the L or R trigger for fire in TATE mode? :?
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

In the middle of the top of XNaut's Psikyo website, there's a blank space with just a star:

http://www.x-nauts.com/psikyo/product/index.html

which will hopefully be filled in soon with some info on Sengoku Cannon!

Back on topic, based on the info that TF posted, is PSP Star Soldier going to be essentially a remake of the PS2 game? That's kinda what it the description TF posted sounds like.

"for hi-score junkies." NNIICCEE! :twisted: It's good to know that shmup developers still remember us hi-score nuts! :mrgreen:
Last edited by dave4shmups on Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Hmm, couldn't find anything about this on Hudson's website.

OT, Hudson's PSP game "The Tower of Purgatory" looks pretty freakin' sweet! :D
Thunder Force
Location: research and development facility for Vasteel Technology.

Post by Thunder Force »

dave4shmups wrote:based on the info that TF posted, is PSP Star Soldier going to be essentially a remake of the PS2 game? That's kinda what it the description TF posted sounds like.
I expect it probably will be derivative of the PS2/GC version in some ways. The 5 minute caravan mode sounds perfect for portable shmupping, btw.
"Thunder Force VI does not suck, shut your fucking mouth." ~ Shane Bettenhausen
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

I would think that we'll see more vert's on the PSP then hori's. The screen on the PSP just looks way too long to handle the average hori shmup; unless some kind of status bar is placed on the left-hand side of the screen.

Unless, of course, Taito would release a disc with Darius I and II on it! :D That would suit the PSP perfectly, IMO. :D