Bullet hell Run & Gun

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
indstr

Bullet hell Run & Gun

Post by indstr »

OK, not an actual screenshot, but a cheap mock-up.

Why hasn't anybody made a bullet hell run & gun game yet?

To compensate for the bullets, same as shmups, the hitbox would be smaller than the character graphic (see yellow box in character's mid-section)

Also to compensate for bullet count, every character would have a double jump (perhaps triple jump with a powerup?), and be able to glide by holding up on the d-pad, or descend faster by holding down.

So ...

Who else thinks this would be awesome? :D
MX7

Post by MX7 »

Yeah, it would be awesome. I think the closest there is are Iwanaga (which I can't get to run on my PC) and MegaMari (which I haven't played yet).
Square King

Post by Square King »

*raises hand*
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Platforming controls are not precise enough to avoid that kind of crazyness. Does not matter how small you make the hitbox. The double/triple jump idea wouldn't help, but the hovering part might. It would feel like a shmup while hovering, and a gimped shmup when not. :S
Motorherp

Post by Motorherp »

I think the way forward would be by designing the levels so the player can make good use of scenery as cover and perhaps arming the player with some kind of limited time rechargeable block or reflect shield to make up for the disadvantages of having less movement freedom.

:: SHMUP-DEV ::
- what it says on the tin
monkeyman

Post by monkeyman »

I don't think the run'n'gun mechanics lends itself very well to bullet hell patterns.

Best left well alone I think.
indstr

Post by indstr »

Motorherp wrote:I think the way forward would be by designing the levels so the player can make good use of scenery as cover and perhaps arming the player with some kind of limited time rechargeable block or reflect shield to make up for the disadvantages of having less movement freedom.
Nah, I don't think it should be gigawing-ified. The player needs to be out there with nothing but his wits to survive :) Obviously there would still be screen clear bombs

I am certain that there would be a way to place the bullet patterns to make it hectic but still doable.

Bah to the naysayers. 15 years ago, did you ever imagine something like Mushihimesama would exist?

I think this at least needs to be attempted. :)
Perhaps the bullets could move slower than shmups?

Also, to specify: the double (triple?) jump wouldn't be like it is in most games where you can only do the double while going upwards. You could activate it at any time, even while travelling downward. This would allow for a lot of flexibility of movement

Also, somebody mentioned "hovering".. but it wouldn't be hovering like Princess in mario 2, it would be gliding down slowly like you do with the tanuki suit in mario 3 :) This would give you 3 speeds for downward movement: glide (slow), regular falling speed, and accelerated falling speed. Plus triple jumps at any time you need them.
Hell, you could even make the triple jumps have altered speeds by holding down on the d-pad to make the jump up slower

I think that sounds maneuverable enough to get through bullet hell patterns. Maybe the patterns could be more like a danmaku game where there are not very many aimed shots, since with gravity you don't have the option of sweeping back and forth to avoid aimed shots

Edit: Also, it would be even better if you could use 2 d-pads or 2 analogue sticks.. (Nintendo Virtual boy controller, oh yeah!!) One for movement and one for aiming. That way your bullet dodging isn't reliant on where you are trying to aim too.
Last edited by indstr on Wed May 21, 2008 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
P_HAT

Post by P_HAT »

There is no way to make good run'n'gun bullet hell...
indstr

Post by indstr »

P_HAT wrote:There is no way to make good run'n'gun bullet hell...
You're wrong :)
P_HAT

Post by P_HAT »

indstr wrote:
P_HAT wrote:There is no way to make good run'n'gun bullet hell...
You're wrong :)
There is 0 of Bullet hell run'n'gun from Japan...
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

Except Iwanaga and MegaMari? :P
Matskat wrote:This neighborhood USED to be nice...until that family of emulators moved in across the street....
indstr

Post by indstr »

P_HAT wrote: There is 0 of Bullet hell run'n'gun from Japan...
I'm sorry, I don't consider japanese people to be infalleable gods. Progress is slow. There are plenty of things that haven't been done yet
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

i think this woul dbe an interesting idea with a a shock troopers type vantage point.....scrolling vertically of course
LionFish

Post by LionFish »

"Heavy Weapon" comes to mind as well....I guess you could call it a severely handicapped shmup since you can't dodge "bullets" by moving above or below them...You could do the same thing I gues by having a character running, and if you really wanted to add the up/down idea you can just make the a 2.5d "slanted" background where the character can run up and down the different planes of elevation and there could be climbing elements as well...Kinda like Guwange as a horizontal shooter...
Jockel

Post by Jockel »

Tirkiss: Princess Shade got it right imo.
It's a Zelda-esque action adventure with bullet hell elements.
I think it's cool.
worstplayer

Post by worstplayer »

I think it could work just fine with reduced hitbox (let's say player is heavily armored and only vulnerable area would be visor on the helmet) and analog crouching (so you could adjust your "height" by pressing up and down).

...Or just make it vertical, we need more Outzone clones.
"A game isn't bad because you resent it. A game is bad because it's shitty."
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

Udderdude wrote:Platforming controls are not precise enough to avoid that kind of crazyness.
This.

You can't control your character good enough to make it viable. How are you going to avoid bullets in mid-air? What if you need to jump, but only very slighty, and anything higher than that would get you killed? Same thing if you need to duck.

You need fast-responsive controls and able to go anywhere on the screen. Horizontal run'n'guns wouldn't work, but vertical ones might (a manic version of Out Zone would be nice).
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
nem

Post by nem »

It could work, but it would need some really clever bullet patterns / level designs.

I like worstplayer's idea, too.
genecyst

Post by genecyst »

what about something similar to guardian heroes with three different planes of gaming (different bullet colour for different plane)?
it should have the same hipnotic effect that have a bullet hell game, you gain depth inside the screen and with double and triple jump you should gain an impressive mobility...
i think a run n'gun bullet hell should be a great game if well developed...
agustusx

Post by agustusx »

genecyst wrote:what about something similar to guardian heroes with three different planes of gaming (different bullet colour for different plane)?
it should have the same hipnotic effect that have a bullet hell game, you gain depth inside the screen and with double and triple jump you should gain an impressive mobility...
i think a run n'gun bullet hell should be a great game if well developed...
I think this would either slow the game down, or just make it confusing. I don't think you typically move on different z-planes as quickly as X and Y in 2D games, it usually takes more than just pushing up.

I think having places to hide would help, just make it difficult to go from one safe spot to another and different "safe" spots would have different types of protection. One area may cover for front and top, where another may be better at blocking attacks from below. In these cases the ideal attack angle would have to be taken into account as well.
nimitz

Post by nimitz »

Here's a nice example of what could work

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7ILn3q_P7c

:lol:
D

Post by D »

Offcourse it can work. Great idea. run n guns should return.
How about a run n gun with neo geo style zooming in it in HD.
I'd like a Contra HD -bullet hell-
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

nimitz wrote:Here's a nice example of what could work

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7ILn3q_P7c

:lol:
Man .. those goombas are FUCKED. God mode mario ftw :P
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

Red Star ?
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

I just had a brainwave with this - the Dark Troopers/Jet Troopers from Star Wars.
Not saying that it should have a Star Wars theme to it, but having a Jet thruster of some sort on your back for temporary amounts of time giving you the control of an aircraft and a running person when on the ground COULD work for this sort of thing. o_O
lgb

Post by lgb »

Ruldra wrote:You need fast-responsive controls and able to go anywhere on the screen. Horizontal run'n'guns wouldn't work, but vertical ones might (a manic version of Out Zone would be nice).
Doesn't Gunspike/Cannonspike sort of fit this bill?
TodayIsForgotten

Post by TodayIsForgotten »

maybe that 3/4 type camera as found in view point would work?
320x240

Post by 320x240 »

TodayIsForgotten wrote:maybe that 3/4 type camera as found in view point would work?
I believe such a viewpoint (an isometric one) would make it even more difficult as it's harder to judge the space between different bullets then. There's an isometric doujin game that's got shades of 'bullet hell' in it. Look for it in the thread titled 'a list of isometric shmups' or something similar. I can't remember it right now.
P_HAT

Post by P_HAT »

PROMETHEUS wrote:Red Star ?
That's a good example. But game feels more like shmup, than r'n'n for me.
Also it vert.

I have no idea how you can make a hori bullet hell run'n'gun
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

P_HAT wrote:I have no idea how you can make a hori bullet hell run'n'gun
Play MegaMari.
Matskat wrote:This neighborhood USED to be nice...until that family of emulators moved in across the street....