Anyone want to meet in Bay Area, California (SJ/SF)

Having a shmupmeet? Want to find one in your area? Come on in here then...
cdawg4949

Post by cdawg4949 »

Hey guys, I am in Elk Grove (by Sacramento) and would love to check out a few decent shmupsters. ( of which I am not) Just outa curiosity, what age is everyone. I want to see what kinda company i would be in. How do these things normally go?
Battlesmurf

Post by Battlesmurf »

My arcade is coming along. I'm between Sac and SF. The TV strapped on it's side may or may not stay there (I have a backlog of woodies and candy's that are in various states of repair elsewhere that may be finished shortly and make their way into the house). I'm a cave nut- and have a decent selection of games. I'm currently trying to get some posterage set up- but haven't decide on anything yet. Currently trying to decide on the terms for these things, but have nothing solid yet. I have a ton of little details to work out, and looking for an MVS game

Garou

to make myself content with what's playable here. Anybody with input feel free to email me

my name here-<--- then add DX@yahoo.com afterwards.

Thanks a bunch :)

As far as gear- the pics tell the tale. I have most of this stuff working + looking good (more concerned with working :). I have a spread of console systems available, too. I want to stick to regular XBOX, Gamecube, Ps2 and the like for the console room, and Ps2/Ps1/Saturn for the tate'd tv. I have a 360- but I know it's on it's last leg :P
My trade/wanted list
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 1#p1135521

Twitch.tv/RedHotHero
califoreigner

Post by califoreigner »

amazing set up

so.. whens the next meet again? :P
Sonic R

Post by Sonic R »

Battlesmurf wrote: [img]…really cool home arcade pics…[img]

My arcade is coming along. I'm between Sac and SF. The TV strapped on it's side may or may not stay there (I have a backlog of woodies and candy's that are in various states of repair elsewhere that may be finished shortly and make their way into the house). I'm a cave nut- and have a decent selection of games. I'm currently trying to get some posterage set up- but haven't decide on anything yet. Currently trying to decide on the terms for these things, but have nothing solid yet. I have a ton of little details to work out, and looking for an MVS game

Garou

to make myself content with what's playable here. Anybody with input feel free to email me

my name here-<--- then add DX@yahoo.com afterwards.

Thanks a bunch :)

As far as gear- the pics tell the tale. I have most of this stuff working + looking good (more concerned with working :). I have a spread of console systems available, too. I want to stick to regular XBOX, Gamecube, Ps2 and the like for the console room, and Ps2/Ps1/Saturn for the tate'd tv. I have a 360- but I know it's on it's last leg :P
Thats a nice set up! :D

I'll have to check it out when ever I am back in the bay area (San Jose) visiting family :wink:
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Nice cabs Battlesmurf! You need to make an Ikea run for those $5 stools.
segasonicfan

Post by segasonicfan »

the fishbowl on the tated monitor is a nice touch :D
Kiselgof

Post by Kiselgof »

Image Dang G, I'm jealous... Image

Awesome setup!

Sincerely,

Mikhail
Battlesmurf

Post by Battlesmurf »

lol..yeah- I was ahead of you on that one. I grabbed two the other day- and needles to say they work GREAT (just wished I bought more- if I'd have known they were that reccomended I would've grabbed more :)

Fishbowl- umm..preying mantis eggs and babies (wife is an animal nut :P)

Mikhail- that spot were that tv with the crap on it is almost where that Neo would go :)

I'll keep you guys posted- doing another ikea run tommarow and grabbing some more stuffs and gettign ready for the meet up.

If I may-DaveK- what are my chances of 'borrowing' alot of your rules? :)
My trade/wanted list

Twitch.tv/RedHotHero
segasonicfan

Post by segasonicfan »

eh, looked at the pics some more and there's no way I'm going to your stupid meet. only 4 egret's? F that.

:lol:
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Battlesmurf wrote: I'll keep you guys posted- doing another ikea run tommarow and grabbing some more stuffs and gettign ready for the meet up.

If I may-DaveK- what are my chances of 'borrowing' alot of your rules? :)
Feel free to grab the rules from my last shmupmeet thread (at the top). http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 16&start=0 You probably want to post the PCBs you have and what you plan to run before/after lunch. I usually buy chips, case of crystal gyser water bottles, and soda, then make a pizza run for lunch.

Not sure when you were going to host this, but I only had my bay area meet 2 weeks ago.

LOL @ segasonicfan's sarcasm. 4 Egret IIs are totally insane!
droid

Post by droid »

heheheh...yes 4 egret2s are insane...Battlesmurf's setup is giving me the itch to run out and snag couple more myself.

I'll get to it one of these days..just as soon as I secure a sitdown spyhunter.
Let me know the next time you plan on leaving your garage unlocked Dave 8)

Droid
Battlesmurf

Post by Battlesmurf »

lol..4 are in the picture...I have 1 more spoken for (sega- here's looking at you) and 2 more in the garage that Matsu/PNL has the chassis for (one is a parts cab now- I want to put some kind of crazy monitor in it down the line).- I don't want to drag them inside until I know they work 100% and will be ready to play anything people throw at them :) Besides- if I find a dedicated Robotron, Smash TV, or any of my other wanted thingies, I need the room (or the help of a good carpenter to push a wall out about 10 feet (haha..anyone have a winning lottery ticket I can buy?)

Yeah- Droid- I Pm'ed your friend and haven't heard anything yet. My eyes/ears will be scouting out Matsu's stuff shortly so hopefully I'll at least drag some more stuff home from him.

Yeah- I wanted to drop by your meet SOO badly- I was working in Foster City- (but a 4am - 3am job didn't let me :P). I figure I'll have everything ready for people here shortly. I'm full up on chairs, rugs, bottled water :), and some of the other odds and ends (the posters part is goinna be tough- my Kinkos refuses to print anything, and I refuse to hang my originals as of right now). I have a kick harness to slap in a cab and gonna mess with some other stuff shortly. I decided to take the dive on Futari and Ibara BL fairly recently- (haven't opened them yet :/) so you guys can be my guinea pigs when the time comes if they're good or not :). Thanks for allowing me the use of your rules- I like them alot.
My trade/wanted list

Twitch.tv/RedHotHero
droid

Post by droid »

Battlesmurf, What city do you live in and when are you planning your meet? I also missed out on Dave's meetup (darn newborns, heheh). How many cabs are you looking for? I've got an impress, astro2, new astro, egret2, AWsd and a smashtv in storage atm.. tossing around the idea to sell a few of them so I can drop the storage unit, but I'm undecided. Dunno if I could bring myself to let them go (I've been on the fence before), but I kinda feel like I'm wasting money paying storage fees to keep them. I'll lob my friend a call to see if he received your pm.

Droid
Battlesmurf

Post by Battlesmurf »

Battlesmurf, What city do you live in and when are you planning your meet? I also missed out on Dave's meetup (darn newborns, heheh). How many cabs are you looking for? I've got an impress, astro2, new astro, egret2, AWsd and a smashtv in storage atm.. tossing around the idea to sell a few of them so I can drop the storage unit, but I'm undecided. Dunno if I could bring myself to let them go (I've been on the fence before), but I kinda feel like I'm wasting money paying storage fees to keep them. I'll lob my friend a call to see if he received your pm.

Lol..I want them all :) Space wise..I don't know how much more I can take. If the conditions are good enough, I wouldn't turn them down, that's for sure. I <3 impresses now. I'd darn near be interested in everything you have if you decide to un-ass them. I did hear back from your friend,- I have to get around to planning and seeing if he'll let my eyes/ears pop down and take a look see for me ; )

Vacaville, CA 95688- before sac, after SF
My trade/wanted list

Twitch.tv/RedHotHero
pixelcorps

Post by pixelcorps »

man, i need to visit the meets section more often..

am I too late to put my name down for this meet? - would be weird to see dave K outside of his SJ abode
Zebra Airforce

Post by Zebra Airforce »

I'm a cave nut- and have a decent selection of games. I'm currently trying to get some posterage set up- but haven't decide on anything yet.
Have you thought about framing your posters? I've been considering it lately. It seems like the ultimate solution -- no holes, easy to hang up, easy to take down. They would also be really easy on the eyes 8)
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

pixelcorps wrote:would be weird to see dave K outside of his SJ abode
I would welcome not being the host as it means I can focus on playing the games! :D
Zebra Airforce wrote:
I'm a cave nut- and have a decent selection of games. I'm currently trying to get some posterage set up- but haven't decide on anything yet.
Have you thought about framing your posters? I've been considering it lately. It seems like the ultimate solution -- no holes, easy to hang up, easy to take down. They would also be really easy on the eyes 8)

I recently posted a blog entry on how I framed my Japanese B1 (and larger) posters...cheaply. At least cheaper than $175 to $275 per custom framing shops!
pixelcorps

Post by pixelcorps »

dave, did you know that TAP also carry very small "swiss frame" clips that hold cover, image and backing board together?
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

pixelcorps wrote:dave, did you know that TAP also carry very small "swiss frame" clips that hold cover, image and backing board together?
No I wasn't aware of this. If it can handle 1/4" thickness than I'd definitely give it a try, that is if they are as cheap as the office binder clips. Per the pictures on my blog I use 14 clips to hold the two parts of a single B1 sized frame securely. Any less and the poster starts to sag inbetween, creating waves in the paper and possibly damaging the poster (since you don't really don't want to permanently mount it to the backing).
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Hey Battlesmurf, whats the status of this? And don't say Futari is gone or nobody will show! :wink:
Kiselgof

Post by Kiselgof »

I guess I'll let Grant break the news about the Mushi, Dave. :cry:

However, he got one of my Neo cabs, so we all get to play Last Resort, and Blazing Star, and Pulstar, I mean, that makes up for it right? Right I say? :D

I'm going back to my corner...
IlMrm

Post by IlMrm »

Dave_K. wrote:Hey Battlesmurf, whats the status of this? And don't say Futari is gone or nobody will show! :wink:
There will be Mushi Futari at your next meet Dave. :wink:
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

IlMrm wrote: There will be Mushi Futari at your next meet Dave. :wink:
Awsome!!
Qorser

"SIDESCROLLER" PARTY in SAN JOSE once a month!!!

Post by Qorser »

Feel free to come down to the "WORKS" gallery downtown San Jose. We do a SHMUP party called "SIDESCROLLER" once a Month. It's FREE!!!... We are accepting $5.00 donations... So be kind and donate... We also have artwork displayed for all of those artwork lovers... WE SERVE BEER!!!, WINE!!, SODA!, AND water to wash it all down.

ART+TECHNO+BOOZE+SHMUPS= A Great Time!!!

Check out this vid from October 11, 2007

http://sc-fa.com/images/view.php?album= ... picindex=2

or

http://sc-fa.com/url/?u=MTAzOA==

or

doboxrecordings.com/db/
Dave_K.

Re: "SIDESCROLLER" PARTY in SAN JOSE once a month!

Post by Dave_K. »

Qorser wrote:Feel free to come down to the "WORKS" gallery downtown San Jose. We do a SHMUP party called "SIDESCROLLER" once a Month. It's FREE!!!... We are accepting $5.00 donations... So be kind and donate... We also have artwork displayed for all of those artwork lovers... WE SERVE BEER!!!, WINE!!, SODA!, AND water to wash it all down.
Very interesting, I'd like to find out what arrangement you have made with the gallery to host these. When is the next one planned for? Also what equipment are you running, the video's just showed a single projection screen with a PC or Console attached.
Qorser

Very interesting, I'd like to find out what arrangement you

Post by Qorser »

We don't have a big budget yet... So-far it's just a common meeting ground for people who love this stuff. feel free to shoot us some ideas and we will try to fulfill your wishes... Also if you would like to show-off some of your personal games, consoles, Dev-Works, etc... Let us Know. We have three SD projectors to work with, As well as Tables, Cables and Stuff.
Hit me up!
felixtheninjacat

Is next shmups meet like winter breakisH?

Post by felixtheninjacat »

MOVE IT UP!!!
IlMrm

Post by IlMrm »

You guys will have to excuse my young friend Felix. He's probably the youngest member on the forum, but don't underestimate him, he already has a 75+million score in Espgaluda 2. Did you break 100 million yet Felix?
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Respect to that, considering the cab he is playing on in SFSU is set on increased difficulty and extend values.
DirtyMonk

Post by DirtyMonk »

Huh? Did I miss something? There's a Galuda 2 cab over at SFSU? :P