My first shmup in development! Screens included!

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
-Bridget-

My first shmup in development! Screens included!

Post by -Bridget- »

So, I've finally gone and done it; I've started work on a shmup game of my own.

My style for this is going to be influenced by a couple of specific things:

Cave, Psikyo, and Giga Wing.

So it's gonna be a bullet-hell type of game, and since Im apparantly very cruel, this is gonna be a really hard one. Though I do intend on implementing difficulty settings.

Scoring system and mechanics are influenced by the "shield" concept in Giga Wing. The "ship" (that's not what it'll be in the end), can throw out a field that absorbs all bullets in a small radius around it. This then powers the secondary attack, and the more bullets you suck in, the more of a multiplier you get for destroying or finishing things with that attack (but you'll still often have to use the main shot alot to damage them enough first). The idea being to get players to dive into the most congested sections of the screen to try to get a high score. Risk VS Reward and all of that. Still working on the exacts of it. There's alot to do.

Here's some screenshots of what I have so far, the 3 rather mean bullet patterns I've jammed into the "test" fight just to see what I could do with it:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-12/ ... creen1.jpg
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-12/ ... creen2.jpg
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-12/ ... creen3.jpg

Yeah, the graphics are kinda suck at the moment. I cant draw, so I gotta work something else out (I think I know what to do about it though), so for the moment, the "ship" and boss are just placeholder sprites.

And the interface isnt even STARTED yet, thus the half assed indicators at the top, and the equally half-assed boss health bar at the bottom. I'll worry about the interface later on, I know what Im gonna do with it.

Comments and such are very welcome, any assistance I can get like that is very appreciated :)
Zebra Airforce

Post by Zebra Airforce »

Are you going to make it a horzie, or do I need to tip my monitor to play it right?
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

Yeah, it looks as if a vert game was forced into hori display mode. Good luck with the development, though, I hope you'll make it a fine game.
Matskat wrote:This neighborhood USED to be nice...until that family of emulators moved in across the street....
Kenshudo

Post by Kenshudo »

1. Change some of the sprites. It looks like a space fighter from the future is fighting a WW2 bomber

2.A dark background gives it a much nicer look to it.
Shion

Post by Shion »

Kenshudo wrote:1. Change some of the sprites. It looks like a space fighter from the future is fighting a WW2 bomber

My guess is he's just using test images for now :)

By the way, which language are you writing it in? I'm always interested in other peoples' homebrew shmup projects.
overkill55

Post by overkill55 »

It seems like the Game Maker program is being used, not sure though
People I have dealt with successfully: bleem (x2), spazicon, sven666, sparky, iatneH, Dragon1952, kozo, Ghegs
-Bridget-

Post by -Bridget- »

overkill55 wrote:It seems like the Game Maker program is being used, not sure though
Yeah, Im using GM, the most recent version. It was either that or Media Fusion, but I went with this since I've used it before. Im real happy with this program, it generally keeps things from being TOO frustrating, though I still manage some of those "There's a bug in this somewhere but WHERE the heck is it, I cant find it!" moments that are usually caused by me not paying attention :)

And yes, it's gonna be a horizontal type. There's a couple of things essentially restricting it to that, design-wise (too hard to explain till I can have better screens, WITH full sprites). And for this particular game, I'd rather like to be able to use the whole screen. Anything else I make, though, will likely be vertical after this.

1. Change some of the sprites. It looks like a space fighter from the future is fighting a WW2 bomber

Haha, now Im sorta tempted to make something involving a space fighter from the future going back into WW2 :P

But no, those are just "placeholder" sprites. They came in a pack with the GM, so Im using them during the very early development and testing. Most of my work so far has been implementing all of the different mechanics of the game, and learning how to create any bullet pattern I want; basically making sure I can get the thing to do whatever it is I want it to before I move forward, which I think Im ready to now (that one with all those blue lasers was the biggest pain in the butt to do)
FSR

Post by FSR »

Good luck with you game Bridget

I uploaded some graphics that I can’t/don’t want to use for my own shmup, but maybe you can give them a home in your horizontal shmup
http://rapidshare.de/files/38007485/rok ... s.zip.html

As for assistance, feel free to ask.
-Bridget-

Post by -Bridget- »

FSR wrote:Good luck with you game Bridget

I uploaded some graphics that I can’t/don’t want to use for my own shmup, but maybe you can give them a home in your horizontal shmup
http://rapidshare.de/files/38007485/rok ... s.zip.html

As for assistance, feel free to ask.

I think I might be able to use a couple of those, yes, so thanks on that.

More graphics always helps.....

Im still currently messing with the whole thing right now, making sure I can get it to do whatever I want before I go further.....

.....that and designing absolutely evil bullet patterns is just lotsa fun..... gotta get past the "test" boss and onto the actual design stuff.....