My own manic shmup project, take a look :)

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
Shion

My own manic shmup project, take a look :)

Post by Shion »

EDIT: New stuff up. Check out a short test video here: http://youtube.com/watch?v=rjJQRLvRs5A
--------------------------------------------------------

I've been working on a manic shmup for a few weeks now, and decided it would be nice to post how it's looking so far.

Currently, my game looks crap. The reason for this is the lack of a graphics artist, so I've used some random images (currently using Pac-Man sprites :().

I'll still post some screenshots, since I've finished quite a lot of bullet patterns already.

Click on the links to view the shots (they're too big to post here directly):
http://wewerepirates.net/bh_dev/1.png
http://wewerepirates.net/bh_dev/3.png
http://wewerepirates.net/bh_dev/4.png
http://wewerepirates.net/bh_dev/5.png
These shots show some random patterns I made in a test-stage.

http://wewerepirates.net/bh_dev/2.png
Here's a screenie showing some enemies in a stage.

And yeah, I'm aware that it looks crap. So if anyone is interested in doing art, please let me know. The enemies will have to look like (mainly flying) demons, and the characters should be angel like. I'm hoping to give it that typical anime/manga look :)

What's done:
Engine (mainly).
Around 30% of the bullet patterns.
VERY efficient Replay System!
Bombing (sorta).

What I still need:
Graphics.
Music.
High score system.
Upgrade system/character select.

I'm hoping to have the game finished in a couple of months, but I'm just coding it as a hobby. The game will be free to download once it's ready, of course :)

My influences are Touhou games, Cave stuff, and mythology. It's going to be a "Bullet Hell" game, as you may have concluded from the shots I posted.

The engine I'm using is GM7, and has worked out well so far. The game runs on 60 fps smoothly, with replay recording enables. I haven't experienced slowdown unless the bullet count exceeds ~1500.

If anyone is interested in working together with me on this project, let me know! I need a decently skilled artist who can draw manga style, an artist good at drawing backgrounds (mainly coulds), and someone who can make music.

Let me know what you think about it so far :) Just don't comment on the graphics! ;p
Last edited by Shion on Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

Hah, Imperishable Night is clearly an influence judging from screenshots. I like bullet hell shmups (the more bullets, the better!), so I'll likely be waiting to try this one.

[EDIT]
Way to spell "judging" as "jusfging"…
Last edited by moozooh on Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matskat wrote:This neighborhood USED to be nice...until that family of emulators moved in across the street....
Shion

Post by Shion »

moozooh wrote:Hah, Imperishable Night is clearly an influence jusfging from screenshots. I like bullet hell shmups (the more bullets, the better!), so I'll likely be waiting to try this one.
Yeah, Touhou had big influence in this game. And I'm using some sprites for the bullets from there (until my artist makes me better ones ;p).
FSR

Post by FSR »

I’ve been waiting for you to post this. :)
The bullet patterns look good to me.

Will you game have a tate mode? To my knowledge, it can be implemented pretty easily by using view_angle[0] = 90 to turn the screen around.
As for the custom high score (saving) system, you might find a good script here: http://gamemakerresource.com/

Well, good luck with you project. I’d be great to see another fun GM based shoot’em up. And feel free to ask if you need some help with the graphics (but keep in mind I can only give hints and that I suck at anything that's a higher resolution than 320x240)
Shion

Post by Shion »

FSR wrote:I’ve been waiting for you to post this. :)
The bullet patterns look good to me.

Will you game have a tate mode? To my knowledge, it can be implemented pretty easily by using view_angle[0] = 90 to turn the screen around.
As for the custom high score (saving) system, you might find a good script here: http://gamemakerresource.com/

Well, good luck with you project. I’d be great to see another fun GM based shoot’em up. And feel free to ask if you need some help with the graphics (but keep in mind I can only give hints and that I suck at anything that's a higher resolution than 320x240)
Haven't made any plans yet for a tate mode, but I'll look into it eventually if it's easily implemented.
My replay system is 100% complete now, and I'm quite happy with it. It can store and load many different replays. The system also displays info about them (character used, stage, difficulty, etc). The filesize is extremely small.
I've also finished the settings many, and a solid pause function.
The highscore system will be my next aim, and after that I'll continue making content.

If you're up for helping with graphics, I can always use some. Since most graphics have to be a certain style I won't bother you about this, but small stuff like bullet sprites and icons are appreciated. I'm going to need several types and sizes of bullets, so if you're good with pixel-art, be my guest :)
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

Would you mind sharing how you do replays on Gamemaker? I have a few ideas of my own, but never actually tried to implement it.

If you don't wanna do it, it's ok, some people don't like to share their codes and stuff :)
Shion

Post by Shion »

Shatterhand wrote:Would you mind sharing how you do replays on Gamemaker? I have a few ideas of my own, but never actually tried to implement it.

If you don't wanna do it, it's ok, some people don't like to share their codes and stuff :)
I didn't write the basics of it myself, it was actually an example I picked up a while ago. It works like this:

Once you start a game with replay enabled, it writes a few bytes to a file (stage, difficulty, character, etc). After that I add 1 byte every frame (60 frames, thus 60 bytes per second). Each byte can contain 8 bitvalues of 1 or 0, so it supports up to 8 different keystrokes. Since my game only uses 6, this is plenty. Once the game's over, it gives you the chance to store the huge string of bytes it recorded to a file. Obviously, this file is only 60 bytes x duration of game in seconds big.
When you load the replay, it simulates as if the player would be pressing keys. This system is commonly used in other shmups I've played, as well as in games like WCIII. As for random numbers, the replay engine includes a random seed function. This way your replays look 100% the same as the actual game went, as long as you code it rightly.

The example I picked up can be found here: http://www.willhostforfood.com/files/79869/Replay.zip
(Credits to J-Factor and EricDB).

Making a nice overview of your replays, adding tags, etc. requires some extra coding though, but it's not that hard to figure out.
Good luck if you're also trying to make a good system out of this, took me a while :)
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

yeah, that's what I had in mind, but seeing an example of it makes a lot easier to plan it :)
Last edited by Shatterhand on Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
segasonicfan

Post by segasonicfan »

lol pacman bat....awesome. I might be able to contribute some art/graphics if youre still looking for that.
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

How do you code manic patterns like that in game maker!? with bulletML!?
Zenodyne R - My 2nd Steam Shmup
Shion

Post by Shion »

Kaiser wrote:How do you code manic patterns like that in game maker!? with bulletML!?
No, I've written my own system.
Shion

Post by Shion »

Just a quick update: Highscore system is fully complete. Works like a charm. Shows stage reached, score, name, character used, and anything else I might want to add :)
Took me a while to get it perfected, since I just had to include a classic arcade-style entry system.

Next up is the rank system.
indstr

Post by indstr »

what kind of music are you wanting for the game? i might be able to contribute something.. check out some of my works here:

http://www.traxinspace.com/profile/djio

i can also write some tracks specifically for the game, or shorten/loop any of my previous songs (i.e. if you want to use just a certain section of a song)
Shion

Post by Shion »

indstr wrote:what kind of music are you wanting for the game? i might be able to contribute something.. check out some of my works here:

http://www.traxinspace.com/profile/djio

i can also write some tracks specifically for the game, or shorten/loop any of my previous songs (i.e. if you want to use just a certain section of a song)
Great music you got there, I really like most of the tracks on there :D

About what music my game should have, I haven't fixed my mind on anything yet. I think it would be best if the game included a variety of fast and slower paced tracks. Starting off with something fast paced, to get in the mood for the danmaku action :)
In the 2nd or 3rd stage the music could switch to something more relaxed. In the fifth stage the pace should pick up again, preparing for the final battle.
The boss battle tunes should be fast and energetic, and perhaps a slow, epic, orchestrated tune for the final battle (a la Mushihime true last boss ;p).
I guess trance/techno style would be the best for the majority of the game, although I'm a big fan of Industrial/electronic-ish music myself.
One or two instrumental tunes would be great too. Synthesized trumpets are awesome.

Here's what I think about some of the tracks you have on your website, in regard to using them for my game:

Inflection point: Nice tune, would be great material for my game. It would be even better with a shorter intro, and a shorter pause around 1:20. I'm only saying this because the pace should be consistent during a stage, and the intro shouldn't take as long as it does in normal songs.

Corner atmospheres: Very good, could work well for the slower paced bits of my game.

Antegrade: I mainly like the beginning of the song, later on it gets too complex for game music.

Keep in mind that these comments were purely looking at how they would fit in my game genre :)
Anyway, I'd love to use some of your music for my game. It would be great if you could try writing a custom track or two intended to be game music. Let me know if you're in :)
indstr

Post by indstr »

Shion wrote: Great music you got there, I really like most of the tracks on there :D
thanks!
Shion wrote: In the 2nd or 3rd stage the music could switch to something more relaxed. In the fifth stage the pace should pick up again, preparing for the final battle.
sounds reasonable
Shion wrote: The boss battle tunes should be fast and energetic, and perhaps a slow, epic, orchestrated tune for the final battle (a la Mushihime true last boss ;p).
Do you want a seperate boss battle tune for each boss? or the same one for the first 5 bosses or whatever? Also how long will the boss battles be?
Shion wrote: Inflection point: Nice tune, would be great material for my game. It would be even better with a shorter intro, and a shorter pause around 1:20. I'm only saying this because the pace should be consistent during a stage, and the intro shouldn't take as long as it does in normal songs.
No problem
Shion wrote: Corner atmospheres: Very good, could work well for the slower paced bits of my game.
OK, you can use that too
Shion wrote: Antegrade: I mainly like the beginning of the song, later on it gets too complex for game music.
i can make an edit that is an extended mix of the beginning section, and i can add some variations on the melody
Shion wrote: Anyway, I'd love to use some of your music for my game. It would be great if you could try writing a custom track or two intended to be game music. Let me know if you're in :)
i can do that too. how long will each stage be? the usual 2-3 minutes? let me know how many, and what kind of vibe you want for each and i'll get something together in the next month or so.
Shion

Post by Shion »

indstr wrote:
Shion wrote: The boss battle tunes should be fast and energetic, and perhaps a slow, epic, orchestrated tune for the final battle (a la Mushihime true last boss ;p).
Do you want a seperate boss battle tune for each boss? or the same one for the first 5 bosses or whatever? Also how long will the boss battles be?
No need for a seperate tune at each boss. Just 1 or maybe 2 for the regular bosses, and the final boss having his own. I'm also planning to add an additional stage to the game, available after 1CCing normal mode. The boss here would need his own tune as well. If you want to do boss music, make as many or little as you like :) Since I don't have any sound yet, I'm happy with anything.
For length of boss battles, see my final comment.
indstr wrote:
Shion wrote: Antegrade: I mainly like the beginning of the song, later on it gets too complex for game music.
i can make an edit that is an extended mix of the beginning section, and i can add some variations on the melody
Cool, looking forward to hearing it.
indstr wrote:
Shion wrote: Anyway, I'd love to use some of your music for my game. It would be great if you could try writing a custom track or two intended to be game music. Let me know if you're in :)
i can do that too. how long will each stage be? the usual 2-3 minutes? let me know how many, and what kind of vibe you want for each and i'll get something together in the next month or so.
Stages are going to be about 3-4 minutes, and boss battles depend. If the player chooses to nuke it down, the battles can be over under 2 minutes. However, if the player is low on shot power, or decides to dodge without shooting, the fight can take longer. I don't know if you can make loopable songs, but that would be perfect for boss battles. They could be set up in 2 parts: Intro, and main part of the song. When the player reaches the boss, the Intro plays, followed by the main part. When the main part ends, the main part starts over again. This way boss battles can last as long as they have to.
About which vibe I want for the stages: be creative. I've only made some bullet patterns for the stages so far, and art is still in early concept. Here are some early plans of the feel for the stages:
Stage 1: Bright daylight, cloudy sky. Should be energetic and fast.
Stage 2: Sunset, a slower pace than the previous stage.
Stage 3: Night, a pleasant stage with a relaxed pace.
Stage 4: Scorched earth, dead plants, fire and destruction. Pace should pick up rapidly.
Stage 5: Reaches of hell. Lots of fire and death. Stage should start with a fast pace, and drop before reaching the climax.
Extra stage: First half similar to stage 3, second half a lot faster and darker.

I don't know if this is of any use for you to understand what feeling I'm looking for in the music, so just try to do what seems right. If you're unsure, you can always send me a short sample and I'll give my honest opinion.

Take your time on the music if you want, the game is still in an early state of development (but being worked on hard!) :)
Feel free to add me on MSN/windows messenger if you have it. My address is in my profile.
indstr

Post by indstr »

Shion wrote:The boss battle tunes should be fast and energetic, and perhaps a slow, epic, orchestrated tune for the final battle (a la Mushihime true last boss ;p).
sure thing. i might do a co-op with a friend for the orchestrated part, since he's really good at strings
Shion wrote: Cool, looking forward to hearing it.
i'll try to get that edit together this weekend
Shion wrote: if you can make loopable songs, but that would be perfect for boss battles. They could be set up in 2 parts: Intro, and main part of the song. When the player reaches the boss, the Intro plays, followed by the main part. When the main part ends, the main part starts over again. This way boss battles can last as long as they have to.
Yeah, that will be no problem. what music playback format are we talking here? compressed i.e. mp3 or ogg? or some kind of module format? i used impulse tracker for many years before upgrading to Renoise about 3 years ago. I know that some games use module format files to playback the music.. You may or may not already know all of this but I'll spiel so we can make sure we work out the details...

advantages of using module files: smaller size
disadvantages of using module files: generally not as good sound quality

and vice versa for mp3s

looping would probably be easier with module files, although if your sound engine has it built in, it should be easy enough to do with mp3s as well... there will just be two seperate mp3s, one for the intro, and one for the main looped section of the song.

Personally I'd prefer to submit mp3/ogg since I am used to using Renoise & all its modern dsp/vst features ... but if you need me to, i *could* do some IT files for you. i even have a friend who is now a professional musician and he STILL uses impulse tracker as his primary tool!!! how eccentric
Shion wrote: About which vibe I want for the stages: be creative. I've only made some bullet patterns for the stages so far, and art is still in early concept. Here are some early plans of the feel for the stages:
Stage 1: Bright daylight, cloudy sky. Should be energetic and fast.
Stage 2: Sunset, a slower pace than the previous stage.
Stage 3: Night, a pleasant stage with a relaxed pace.
Stage 4: Scorched earth, dead plants, fire and destruction. Pace should pick up rapidly.
Stage 5: Reaches of hell. Lots of fire and death. Stage should start with a fast pace, and drop before reaching the climax.
Extra stage: First half similar to stage 3, second half a lot faster and darker.

I don't know if this is of any use for you to understand what feeling I'm looking for in the music, so just try to do what seems right. If you're unsure, you can always send me a short sample and I'll give my honest opinion.

Take your time on the music if you want, the game is still in an early state of development (but being worked on hard!) :)
Feel free to add me on MSN/windows messenger if you have it. My address is in my profile.
i've got some ideas now. i'll try to whip together a couple of bars of each style, as a preview, submit it to you and then if you like it, i can build the rest of the song around it :)
Shion

Post by Shion »

Great stuff :)

About the format, my sound engine currently works with .ogg, and I don't think it supports module files (I don't know that much about audio though).
Since mp3's are easily converted to .ogg both of these formats would be cool with me. In case you insist on using another format, I could try to find/make another sound engine though. But since you say you prefer submitting mp3/ogg, I guess we're on one line :)

Good luck!
indstr

Post by indstr »

Shion wrote:Great stuff :)

About the format, my sound engine currently works with .ogg, and I don't think it supports module files (I don't know that much about audio though).
Since mp3's are easily converted to .ogg both of these formats would be cool with me. In case you insist on using another format, I could try to find/make another sound engine though. But since you say you prefer submitting mp3/ogg, I guess we're on one line :)

Good luck!
nope nope, that's fine with me. i'll go ahead and encode everything in ogg for you then. what about bitrate?
i was also thinking ... what are you wanting to do as far as size of the final distributable? if you are trying to minimize size, we can do all my songs in mono and they will be 1/2 the size... which would be fine since my music doesn't use a lot of stereo effects anyway.

i'm getting some great ideas for level 1 and boss music though. i'm excited! does your game have a name yet?
Shion

Post by Shion »

indstr wrote: nope nope, that's fine with me. i'll go ahead and encode everything in ogg for you then. what about bitrate?
i was also thinking ... what are you wanting to do as far as size of the final distributable? if you are trying to minimize size, we can do all my songs in mono and they will be 1/2 the size... which would be fine since my music doesn't use a lot of stereo effects anyway.

i'm getting some great ideas for level 1 and boss music though. i'm excited! does your game have a name yet?
Don't worry about file size, as long as the songs are under 10mb each it's no problem. The game will be as big as it has to, so there's no need to cut in quality of the sound. I load and unload the music in the memory, so it doesn't matter if the files are high quality. Any bitrate is fine with me, but don't make songs mono because you're worried about the size :)
It's normal for games to have 80% or more of the final size to be dedicated to audio, so I'm not expecting anything different here.
About the name, I don't have a definite one yet. Once I've come up with something, I'll let you know.
indstr

Post by indstr »

alrighty. i'll encode around 160kbps joint stereo. for now i'll call the songs "SG edits", standing for "Shion's Game" :wink:
Pixel_Outlaw

Post by Pixel_Outlaw »

Good luck and happy programming.
Some of the best shmups don't actually end in a vowel.
No, this game is not Space Invaders.
indstr

Post by indstr »

http://djiomusic.googlepages.com/io_-_i ... G_edit.ogg

working on Antegrade now. after that i'll try to start on some originals
Shion

Post by Shion »

indstr wrote:http://djiomusic.googlepages.com/io_-_i ... G_edit.ogg

working on Antegrade now. after that i'll try to start on some originals
Great work, I love it. Don't know for which part of the game I'll be using it yet, but I'll see once more of the content is complete :)
Lili-Xiang

Post by Lili-Xiang »

what did you use to make that? I'm also interested.
Anyone who believes what they saw at Namco Central about ME is seriously far stupider than he/she looks... :roll:
indstr

Post by indstr »

Lili-Xiang wrote:what did you use to make that? I'm also interested.
didn't know if you were talking to me or to Shion... anyway if it's me -- i wrote the song in Renoise ... also used a couple of vsti's including Superwave P8
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

Oh, I think I forgot to say thanx to Shion for sharing the replay code.

So, thank you Shion :)
Shion

Post by Shion »

Shatterhand wrote:Oh, I think I forgot to say thanx to Shion for sharing the replay code.

So, thank you Shion :)
Your're welcome.

I've mainly been working on the art lately, here's some concept art I did today:

http://ruudc.deviantart.com/art/Game-co ... l-70105268
http://ruudc.deviantart.com/art/Game-co ... e-70105437
indstr

Post by indstr »

those are pretty nice. don't worry, i've still got music to do on my plate. been busy, currently working on a song for a competition, that sadly will not be suitable for the game (too downtempo) but i'm still working on the antegrade edit and filling my head with boss music ideas :D
Shion

Post by Shion »

indstr wrote:those are pretty nice. don't worry, i've still got music to do on my plate. been busy, currently working on a song for a competition, that sadly will not be suitable for the game (too downtempo) but i'm still working on the antegrade edit and filling my head with boss music ideas :D
Don't worry about it, the game will still be in many months of development before any sort of release. This is taking a lot more work than I had expected. Still worth it though :)