Best SHMUP OSTs

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
overkill55

Best SHMUP OSTs

Post by overkill55 »

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but playing Darius Gaiden tonight got me thinking: what is the best OST for a shmup? Personally I hate DG's music, so I hoped some people here could tell of their favorites and least favorites and why.

Favorite: Ikaruga

Least Favorite: ??
Last edited by overkill55 on Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
People I have dealt with successfully: bleem (x2), spazicon, sven666, sparky, iatneH, Dragon1952, kozo, Ghegs
P_HAT

Post by P_HAT »

Cho Ren Sha 68k
ALL Touhou games
Jet'n'Guns
DoDonPachi
Thunder Force 5
XII Stag
Mushi
Mushi/Futari
Espgaluda
and more... :)
Rob

Post by Rob »

zinger

Re: Best SHMUP OSTs

Post by zinger »

overkill55 wrote:Favorite: Giga Wing

Least Favorite: Darius Gaiden :(
Hehe, my taste is pretty much the opposite. God the GW soundtrack is awful! :)
SOUNDSHOCK
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

I like the music in Pulstar and the stage 2 music in Cyvern. Also Guwange has classy music.
Kaede

Post by Kaede »

Ikaruga - Brilliant the way the soundtrack fits around one central theme and ties in with the action on screen. This is probably my favourite.

G. Darius - A very weird soundtrack that has a couple of stand out tracks, the game over / hi-score theme in paticular.

Thunderforce IV - Probably the best chip tune soundtrack ever. Amazing 'mimicked' guitar solos.
D

Post by D »

Chaos Field
jpolz

Post by jpolz »

Gradius V
Radiant Silvergun
Psyvariar 2
Mushihimesama
Blazing Lazers
Soldier Blade
Super R-Type
DoDonPachi
Sword

Post by Sword »

Pink Sweets
Mushihime
Espgaluda
Touhou games (EoSD and PCB)
Artesneit games (Galshell and Hellbound)

I really like the Exelica boss music too.
P_HAT

Post by P_HAT »

Sword wrote:Pink Sweets
No love for IN? :?
Sword

Post by Sword »

P_HAT wrote:
Sword wrote:Pink Sweets
No love for IN? :?
Haven't played it yet. I want to 1cc EoSD and PCB first.. So far, i can get to but not beat the last stages.
mastercello

Post by mastercello »

:oops: soooory....

Mod Edit: The link had copyrighted content, so it was removed. Shatterhand
Last edited by mastercello on Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sfried

Post by sfried »

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Einhänder yet. (Then again, I'm a sucker for techno. I really like listening to "Shudder" and "Badlands" alot.)

Also, Axelay had that nice tempo to it during the collony level.
kengou

Post by kengou »

Gravius V, but Ikaruga and Radiant Silvergun both tie for a close 2nd.
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

Apidya

Nothing comes even close.
jp

Post by jp »

Tecno Soft.

</end>
RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!!!!!!
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

mastercello wrote:Here you can find a lot of shmup ost:

*link*
big no no dude, if i were a mod...
I have no sig whatsoever.
AAA

Post by AAA »

Battle Garegga

close thread mods pls cheers thx ta
crithit5000

Post by crithit5000 »

overkill55 wrote:Favorite: Giga Wing
I'd never thought I'd ever see anyone say that Giga Wing's soundtrack was their favorite... I love the game and all, but 90% of that music just annoys the shit out of me. COME ON.

Soundtracks I can actually listen to:

Ikaruga
Radiant Silvergun
Chaos Field
Battle Garegga

AND...

Armed Police Batrider just for Lets Ass Kick Together. Probably the best boss music ever made.
now tighter than your sister
amorph

Post by amorph »

You see how I registered to say this?

Dangun Feveron.

Followed by Ibara.
worstplayer

Post by worstplayer »

My favs:
Dodonpachi
Jets'n'Guns (MaSu is the band ever!)
Bakraid (better music than Garegga IMO)
Gigawing (come on!)

EDIT: I almost forgot Tyrian.
J-Manic

Post by J-Manic »

overkill55 wrote:Least Favorite: Darius Gaiden :(
What?! :shock: Are you serious?? Dude, anything by Zuntata is pure gold, in my opinion. And the Darius Gaiden soundtrack [plus the Arranged OST] are no exceptions.

Also, everything Technosoft and G. Rev has done has been top notch.
louisg

Post by louisg »

Darius Gaiden for its successful experimentation (could be my favorite of the bunch)
Under Defeat arrange for its fusiony sweetness
Thunderforce 3, 4 and Elemental Master are all really good
Battle Squadron main theme cause it's a good chip track and has a great solo at the end
Border Down's heavier tracks-- especially Snow Fox, for its evolving progressions and wild chord changes
RayForce's later tracks, for some wonderful disorienting dissonance

Oh yeah, the of Thunder games
Humans, think about what you have done
ROBOTRON
Remembered

Post by ROBOTRON »

(no particular order)

Blazing Lazers
Thunderforce 2, 3 & 5
Axelay
R-Type Delta
Life Force
Zanac & Zanac Neo
Space Megaforce
Layer Section
Radiant Silvergun

Compile & Technosoft wins again.
Fight Like A Robot!
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

The only two games I actually own the OSTs for at this point are...

Radiant Silvergun - Yeah, it's over-dramatic and pretentious, but so is the entire game, so you can't say it doesn't say "Hey! Look at me! I'm epic and stuff!" without a reason. It repeats the same theme a bit too often for my tastes, but otherwise I think it's one of the relatively few cases in which a symphonic soundtrack suits the game well.

Mushihime-sama - This is one of those OSTs that people seem to either love or loathe...personally I think it's great. It's a bit cheesy-sounding, but come on, what do you expect from a game with an undergarment-challenged chick on a giant beetle? The whole thing has a slightly "buzzy" sound to it which I think fits the "insect" theme wonderfully, and the fact that the tunes actually progress someplace from start to finish (as opposed to just layering onto the same vamp, as most modern shmup soundtracks do) also appeals to me. Perhaps the overall catchiest shmup music I've heard.

Others I like...

Battle Garegga - Yeah, it's just another techno sountrack, as opposed to the more "classical" sounds found in several WW2-style games, but for some reason I've really grown to like it. It has a very unique sound that, in my experience at least, hasn't been duplicated elsewhere in shmupdom - a nice thumping bass, and an overall tense, unnerving feeling without getting repetitive. Slightly gritty, much like the graphics, but you wouldn't have it any other way.

Karous - Chaos Field and Radirgy's soundtracks were both good, but I think this one suits its subject matter best...both dark/spooky and high-energy, perfect for racing around the screen like a maniac to slash everything to death. Again, I'm not a huge techno fan, but in cases where it matches the overall "feel" of the rest of the game I can get into it.

Parodius series - Couldn't let this go without at least mentioning the chirpy, crack-fueled renditions of various folk, classical, Gradius, and who knows what else. In a genre that tends to take itself way too seriously, we need more of this. :mrgreen:

There are others I like, of course, but these came most immediately to mind.
BIL

Post by BIL »

I love Darius Gaiden's OST, actually. It's definitely an odd one overall, and very eclectic to boot, but at some point its strangeness just grew on me. That mournful song that plays in its trippier Zones, and "Touei" (Titanic Lance & Neon Light Illusion boss themes) were the first that really grabbed my attention. Such grave songs really stand out on such a bizarrely good-natured soundtrack.

Others that I like:

Thunder Force V - My overall favourite shooter OST, and one of my favourite game soundtracks period. Incredibly polished-sounding and melodically intense synth-metal. The whole soundtrack crackles with energy, and goes a long way towards creating a sophisticated atmosphere that the graphics sometimes struggle to.

Metal Black - My second-favourite Zuntata shooter OST. Complements the game's bleak mood perfectly, like a wavering ray of hope. "Waste Days" (Stage 4) has an especially great effect in-game, being a gentle song that soundtracks some gruelling action.

Psyvariar 2 - Both innovative and very catchy throughout. Despite doing some really odd things melodically and rhythmically, it's always easy on the ears and a pleasure to listen through.

Gradius Gaiden - Narrowly beats Gradius III for the series best title, in my book. Consistently excellent, with some exceptional melodies (along with strong ambient tracks) and generally triumphant sound that old Konami arcade shooters did so well.
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

I am right now hearing the Apidya soundtrack...

seriously, everyone saying Gradius Gaiden, Dodonpachi ....

How many people here actually played Apidya, or have at least heard its music?

It's just damn awesome. AWESOME.

Euro Amiga music = THE BEST
Rob

Post by Rob »

Since Giga Wing was mentioned I just have to say I never really like Takumi soundtracks but they always seem to get a great title screen theme.

Zuntata are the best, no doubt. Too bad Takumi didn't borrow some of their talent for their last two games.
overkill55

Post by overkill55 »

J-Manic wrote:
overkill55 wrote:Least Favorite: Darius Gaiden :(
What?! :shock: Are you serious?? Dude, anything by Zuntata is pure gold, in my opinion. And the Darius Gaiden soundtrack [plus the Arranged OST] are no exceptions.

Also, everything Technosoft and G. Rev has done has been top notch.
Ha I just don't like the chipped techno-ish sounding songs. The one when you face one of the Fan enemies is the worst

EDIT: Upon playing Darius Gaiden again tonight, I actually noticed that most of the music wasn't too bad. I am still not a fan of a few tracks though
People I have dealt with successfully: bleem (x2), spazicon, sven666, sparky, iatneH, Dragon1952, kozo, Ghegs
BIL

Post by BIL »

Shatterhand wrote:I am right now hearing the Apidya soundtrack...

seriously, everyone saying Gradius Gaiden, Dodonpachi ....

How many people here actually played Apidya, or have at least heard its music?

It's just damn awesome. AWESOME.

Euro Amiga music = THE BEST
May as well put my hand up. ^_^ For the listening part, that is. I usually give well-regarded shooter soundtracks a try, if possible. In Apidya's case, after a post on this very forum said nobody had any business rating shooter OSTs without hearing it first, heh.

It's good music, but at the same time, I don't see what it has to do with Gradius Gaiden or DoDonPachi, stylistically, or why it'd cancel them out. Particularly if that distinct European sound doesn't click with someone the way Konami Kukeiha Club's might.
overkill55 wrote: Ha I just don't like the chipped techno-ish sounding songs. The one when you face one of the Fan enemies is the worst
"Fake!" (that's it's name) Woot! I love the... sassiness, I guess, of that song. Zuntata stuff tends to be an acquired taste, I think... but then their OSTs tend to sound like very little else. Listen to the G-Darius arranged album "Miraikanryou" for true strangeness.