Is there any way to play Sega CD games on a Dreamcast??...

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
dave4shmups

Is there any way to play Sega CD games on a Dreamcast??...

Post by dave4shmups »

I'm talking about original Sega CD games, not copies or anything like that. Could you do it using an import boot disc? If not, is it at all possible to do this?
DantesInferno

Post by DantesInferno »

Nope, but you can play them on a modded xbox via emulation. Same with Neo CDs and PC Engine CDs..and they run, as far as I can tell, perfectly. Not only that, but you get the filter options and save states and all that cool stuff...as well as some diminished load times.
SheSaidDutch

Post by SheSaidDutch »

DantesInferno wrote:Nope, but you can play them on a modded xbox via emulation. Same with Neo CDs and PC Engine CDs..and they run, as far as I can tell, perfectly. Not only that, but you get the filter options and save states and all that cool stuff...as well as some diminished load times.

An X-Box Is really tempting. If only they would make a smaller version :roll:
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

But I've heard about all kinds of DC emulation, and these are Sega games after all-there's NO way to do this? :?
DantesInferno

Post by DantesInferno »

dave4shmups wrote:But I've heard about all kinds of DC emulation, and these are Sega games after all-there's NO way to do this? :?
Well..considering the last time I checked the Snes and Genesis emulators weren't running at full speed on the DC, I doubt a sega cd emu will be probable.

As for the xbox being tempting...anyone who likes emulation should get one. All the emulators kick some serious tail...I was just playing Keio Yugetai on the sega cd emu..and it's so awesome..and it looks better than I remember it looking on the actual sega cd.
D

Post by D »

Genesis emulator runs full speed man.
it290

Post by it290 »

Yeah, but keep in mind the Sega CD uses two 68000's in synchro, and they need to be kept in sync quite well.

Dave, I thought you were looking at getting a Sega CD anyway? Just go that route -- there's nothing like the real thing.
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Download Gens or Gens plus, and look for the BIOS roms (You need them), and then give the Sega CD a whirl. Let me assure you however, that you won't find as many good titles on CD as with the Turbo Grafx. Only a handful of Sega CD games are worth the bother. Snatcher, Eternal Champions, Android Assault, Lunar 1 and 2, Keio and maybe Tomcat Alley. Avoid the interactive movie games at all cost.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

it290 wrote:Dave, I thought you were looking at getting a Sega CD anyway? Just go that route -- there's nothing like the real thing.
Maybe he wants to play imports too. It sucks ass that the SCD region detects discs but not whether they're bootlegs or not. There's a cart you can use to play imports (that doesn't work with the X'Eye) but you'll have to save import games on the limited SCD memory.
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

You can rip your original games to ISO format and patch them with an utility to change region. No, I'm not telling where to get them. (Hope this is kosher, mods. There are tools to do the same with roms, and I don't think anyone frowns on those.)
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.