ripping an entire level background image

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
ED-057

ripping an entire level background image

Post by ED-057 »

I want to try making a vert for the Amiga OCS using HAM for the background, and then see how many sprites I can get on the screen using copper lists and other trickery. I'm looking for a background (in any common graphic format, BMP, JPG, whatever) to start off with for the "proof of concept." I could paste together some emulator snapshots from a TurboGrafx game but I'm wondering if there is anything like this online already or if anyone can think of a better source (with more eye candy) that is still a single-layer scroll.
mirkvid

Post by mirkvid »

cave has a few maps of levels on their website. they are small, but you could enlarge them to get the idea.
mrkotfw

Post by mrkotfw »

Sorry for the bump, but what exactly do you mean by copper list? How exactly are you handling your sprites on the GBA?
Yaul: An awesome open source SEGA Saturn software development kit
ED-057

Post by ED-057 »

No copper lists on the GBA :) I'm talking about the Amiga. I feel that the Amiga is sorely lacking a quality vertical-scrolling shmup (probably because of the limitation of only 8 hardware sprites) so I want to make a kind of demo to see if it can be done. See, theorettically one can use the CPU/copper to reset some hardware registers during the display period and show more than just 8 sprites that way. Haven't started yet though, as I've been busy (playing Langrisser III mostly)
mrkotfw

Post by mrkotfw »

ED-057 wrote:No copper lists on the GBA :) I'm talking about the Amiga. I feel that the Amiga is sorely lacking a quality vertical-scrolling shmup (probably because of the limitation of only 8 hardware sprites) so I want to make a kind of demo to see if it can be done. See, theorettically one can use the CPU/copper to reset some hardware registers during the display period and show more than just 8 sprites that way. Haven't started yet though, as I've been busy (playing Langrisser III mostly)
Oops! I immediately saw "HAM" and thought you were developing on the GBA. So copper lists is a hardware feature only? I thought it was another trick similar to linked lists.
Yaul: An awesome open source SEGA Saturn software development kit