Best way to destroy a PS2 disc?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Diabollokus

Best way to destroy a PS2 disc?

Post by Diabollokus »

Ethically yes its wrong but I have my reasons.

I need to destroy a game disc so that it won't work and theres no visible signs of damage. standard ps2 dvd disc.

Any ideas remember I don't want to scratch it.

I figure use a powerful magnet to disrupt the data tracks, but it'll be saturday before I can get near one. Sunlight?
Vidi Vici Veni
sven666

Post by sven666 »

,microwave it.
the destruction of everything, is the beginning of something new. your whole world is on fire, and soon, you'll be too..
Diabollokus

Post by Diabollokus »

You sure? I'm aware theres no water molecules so it shouldn't melt.... in theory....certainly convienient, I'll test it out on gigawing generations first.

edit missed 2nd post: Answer = Revenge/save someones social life.
Vidi Vici Veni
Diabollokus

Post by Diabollokus »

True that would work however still the issue of chemical smell. I want this as natural as possible.

edit: missed above post! Yep big speakers 2 meters away from me, that'll do nicely cheers.
Vidi Vici Veni
Nullsleep

Post by Nullsleep »

Guys ... a DVD is optical data, meaning a magnet will have absolutely no effect on it.

Also, do not microwave it. Believe me, it will look very very damaged.

See this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-oWB4z0rsQ
Diabollokus

Post by Diabollokus »

Nullsleep you rule, That microwave vid was brilliant. UV light then?
Vidi Vici Veni
Daigohji

Post by Daigohji »

I think CD-RWs can be affected by strong magnetic fields, but not CD-Rs or factory discs pressed from glass masters. For a factory CD, your best bet is heat. Try setting a hairdryer or iron to its highest heat setting and place it on or near to the picture side of the DVD. If using an iron you might want to put a thin sheet of fabric between the DVD and the iron, as there may be unpredictable results involving the picture ink on the disc. The data is stored closer to the picture side than the play side, so you'll get results quicker that way (if at all). I don't know if it's really possible to execute a stealth kill on a DVD though.
ReKleSS

Post by ReKleSS »

FYI: DVD is a reflective layer between two pieces of polycarbonate (0.6mm on either side) unlike a CD, which has the reflective layer on top.

I would go for minor damage to the very inside of the disc - in theory, if the TOC is unreadable the disc is unreadable. Acetone (nail polish remover/paint stripper) eats polycarbonate, so that may be worth a try.
弾もまたいで通る
freddiebamboo

Post by freddiebamboo »

Good thread this. How about putting a thin layer of superglue on the underside? Thats bound to do something bad.
lawnspic

Post by lawnspic »

First off a magnet wont do anything, the metal is pressed, and if it did you would need two very powerful magnets pushing and pulling also cdr and dvdr use dye. Microwave it lightly
Iron Maiden: "It was dead, but alive at the same time."
sven666

Post by sven666 »

Nullsleep wrote: Also, do not microwave it. Believe me, it will look very very damaged.

See this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-oWB4z0rsQ
lol yeah if you put it on full effect for 30seconds it will.. 2seconds is enough to completely bust the DVD without any signs of wear..
the destruction of everything, is the beginning of something new. your whole world is on fire, and soon, you'll be too..
D

Post by D »

Hm, why not go another route and try to remake the game. Just get a blank dvd and print the same dvd artwork on it. The dvd will look as new, but there's nothing on it...............
grahf

Post by grahf »

What a funny thread :D
And I agree with D. My printer prints to CDs/DVDs, and sometimes its hard to tell the difference between the real and reprint (if you use a good quality printable).
Diabollokus

Post by Diabollokus »

I'm going for 2 seconds in the microwave route and I'll test it on some burned dvd movie ''back-ups'' hopefully this will take care of the problem. Be Sunday night/Monday morning before I can confirm it from Belfast house.
Vidi Vici Veni
stuntman

Post by stuntman »

Your burned "back-ups" test won't prove much. Pressed optical media has a different physical make up to writeable discs.
icepick

Post by icepick »

Somehow, I feel like following this thread could prove useful in the future.

I have to say, though, that I'd be afraid of warming actual food in whichever microwave oven was used for this little experiment. I don't know anything about how they work, but I feel like it would reflect the microwaves back into their... erm... "emitters" and cause the whole thing to break. Like afterwards, it'd be like that scene in Superman and when you turn the oven on to make some popcorn, the bag of popcorn is fine and YOU pop instead! :o

Couldn't you put it into some boiling water for a second, or something? I still say that the chemical route would be best, but then again, I say that ruining someone's disc (unless it's one of a kind) wouldn't necessarily be the best revenge or save their social life. I also hope that you're not doing this to your own split personality. "Good heavens, this is a DVD-R coaster with printed disc art! Who could have done such a thing?" "Ah, sir, the prints... are yours." "... What?!" :lol:
\\ /\/\ \
SAM

Post by SAM »

sven666 wrote:,microwave it.
That's just what I want to say. Just a couple of secs would do.

But I don't think this is eithcal to do this in order to be able to return a game you bought. :o
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
antron

Post by antron »

I decided to try google, and found this:
Under the codename 'Curveball,' feed the Bush Administration faulty intelligence stating you've received 'slam dunk' evidence that the Producers Guild--which obviously hates freedom--is turning Fahrenheit 9/11 into a James-Bond type franchise. Do they want the smoking gun to be a blockbuster? They'll pretend to believe you, sparking a $300 billion dollar initiative to save your DVD at the cost of tens of thousands of lives, but due to a naive ideological refusal to actually plan the initiative in any meaningful sense, they'll utterly destroy your entire collection of DVDs.
does the game happen to be Iranian?
doctorx0079

Post by doctorx0079 »

Vokatse wrote:Maybe try it out on a pressed Disc you don't need...

Like a Ninja Turtles III DVD? :wink:
TEST IT OUT ON A DVD OF ULTRAVIOLET. PLEASE!
SWY: Games are just for fun
Diabollokus

Post by Diabollokus »

Better finish this thread:

Yes, Microwave for aproximately 1.5-2 seconds is sufficient to destroy a ps2 game and dvd with no visible damage. Bought a film for 99p out of tescos tested it, great result. Thanks guys for your contribution.
Vidi Vici Veni
Ceph

Post by Ceph »

You're not going to tell us why you wanted to detroy that PS2 game, eh?
Belmont

Post by Belmont »

Ok if he wont tell us lets just guess untill we get it right :)

I bet his friend borrowed his coppy of RSG and scratched it so that 1 of the lvls doesnt work right...so he grabbed his friends coppy of madden 07 in the spirit of revenge!

any other ideas?
Smithy

Post by Smithy »

He needs to return a game to a store.. I don't buy the "Saving a friend's social life" :)
landshark

Post by landshark »

How about some rubbing compound for a car scratch? It's ever so slightly abrasive. I'm not sure how much of the shine it will take off versus destroy.
SiKrAiKeN: While I don't think everyone here -is- a Ninja Turtle, I DO believe everyone here has the potential to be a Ninja Turtle. No doubt.
Pirate1019

Post by Pirate1019 »

landshark wrote:How about some rubbing compound for a car scratch? It's ever so slightly abrasive. I'm not sure how much of the shine it will take off versus destroy.
Like Bondo? That shit will fuck you up. Me and my buddies are fixing up an old Mortal Kombat II cab that didn't work and turning it into a MAME cab. We had to fill in the pockmarks and dent's with Car Bondo in my friend's basement. It was raining outside so we couldn't do it outoors. The stench wouldn't leave for days.

Well, how about just some nail polish remover or something? Wouldn't that work? It wouldn't smell forever.
"You are the Hero of Tomorrow!"
stuntman

Post by stuntman »

I'd read that rubbing compound (also toothpaste) could be used to fix a scratched disc. I tried it on an audio CD that kept skippng. It didn't work... although the scratches were less prominent, the surface of the disc was noticeably dulled.
icepick

Post by icepick »

Yes, I too tried that toothpaste method without really thinking about it first. It looked like I sanded the disc with some drywall or something; I would strongly urge others not to try it on anything that they cared about. :o

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure! :D

(Wow, going off-topic to the opposite topic of the original topic.)
\\ /\/\ \
Diabollokus

Post by Diabollokus »

Lets just say one of my fellow housemates was playing too much FPS over and over and over :D

RSG damage = knee capping
Vidi Vici Veni
Pirate1019

Post by Pirate1019 »

Diabollokus wrote:RSG damage = knee capping
If somebody can't contemplate the consequences of ruining a $100+ disc, then getting their kneecaps broken is a leanient punishment.
"You are the Hero of Tomorrow!"