Neo Geo AES or CD?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Jeffrey

Neo Geo AES or CD?

Post by Jeffrey »

I was debating getting an AES or CD. The CD version wins big on software costs, of course. I would only use it for the 4-5 well known shooters, not really for fighting games.

But I have two other questions:

(1) Is the Neo Geo CD console compatible with the Neo arcade sticks? They usually seem to come with controller-pads, not the original Neo arcade stick. I suppose this might not matter if I have a HRAP with a PS2 to Neo converter (which I do). How important is the original Neo arcade stick?

(2) I read online somwhere that some Neo CD consoles output S-video as standard (no modification needed). I believe the Neo AES outputs composite only, unless one gets an expensive modification from a private modifier. If true, what Neo CD consoles output S-video as standard, is there any model type I need to look for special? Ebay listings of this were not helpful.

If the Neo CD has s-video, that plus lower costs, might be more important than loading time (the alleged virtue of the AES), assuming picture quality and software quality was the same.

Thanks for replies.
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

AFAIK, all Neo Geo controllers are compatible between systems. No chips or capacitors like the SNES and 6 button genesis pad. Kiken may answer this one better, but I believe the NeoCD machines are prone to failure, especially the first models.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Yes, all the controller types work with all the Neo systems.

I have the CDZ and it's great for the shooters. They're much cheaper than the carts and aren't affected by loading nearly as much as the fighters are. I actually prefer my personal favorite, Pulstar, on CD due to the crisper soundtrack.

The CDZ does output S-Video directly and it's one of the clearest, sharpest S-Video signals I've seen. This is one of the biggest pros of the CDZ IMO. I have not used a standard CD but I do believe they include the S-Video out as well.

I can't say anything regarding durability - my unit works fine but I use my consoles very, very sparingly...
Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

Big - Do you need special Neo compatible s-video cables, or will any stock Best Buy s-video cables work? An ebay search under "geo s-video cable" turned up nothing, which is unusual.

For my desires, easy s-video is more important than slighlty quicker loading on shooters. I am puzzled that such an important advantage isn't mentioned more regarding the NGCD.
Smithy

Post by Smithy »

It is outweighed for most people by the lack of some titles that the AES got, as well as the cd format (loading times..), doesn't feel like a "true" arcade experience. What I say is get a supergun, get a MVS, and enjoy cheap, great Neo Geo games, along with tons of other good PCBS. I built my own supergun, and don't regret it for a second, it really isn't that hard, this is what I followed more or less : http://cps2shock.retrogames.com/jamma.html
EOJ

Post by EOJ »

Best way to go is to get an MVS motherboard, a supergun, and a bunch of MVS carts. MVS carts are dirt cheap, have no loading times, and are basically the same as AES. An MVS motherboard can be had for as little as $50. Get a cheap S-video supergun and you're set to go.
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

Chalk up another recommendation for MVS + supergun. Most of the shooter carts will be comparatively priced for MVS vs. NGCD anyway (or even cheaper on MVS), and the cheap NGCD games are also cheap on MVS.

Plus, with a supergun, you have the option open to play other PCBs.

Like twe said, MVS motherboards as low as $50, superguns bought for $90+ maybe, or built yourself for $40 and under. I was able to build one for maybe $40 with 2 joypads and a S-video encoder.
Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

I lack technical ability. Can these items be purchased easily. I know an online store selling a Phantom MVS to AES converter for about 280, but that is it, and is not the supergun set up mentioned above. Is there some online place I can learn more about the MVS with supergun set up? I am currently reading the archives of neo-geo.com, but haven't found this yet.

Also, is the s-video on the CDZ proprietary?
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

I'd say get a modded xbox with a neogeo cd emulator.

It works flawless... I have a CDZ and don't use it anymore b/c of this. Plus I get the game at whatever resolution I want threw component. Not to mention the fact the loading is non-existant now.

CDZ s-video is standard....
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

iatneH - Where can one get an s-video supergun and MVS motherboard for 140 dollars?
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

Jeffrey wrote:iatneH - Where can one get an s-video supergun and MVS motherboard for 140 dollars?
You'll have to build it yourself for the best price. Because nobody is going to build a ghetto one for you if you ask for an ultra-ghetto gun, it doesn't reflect well on the workmanship of the maker.

Have a search through some threads here, there are a couple of good ones besides the one here:

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?t=2040
I think personally I used the chadsarcade.co.uk link.
The most basic supergun which is simply following that diagram exactly, some wires going straight from the JAMMA harness to some D-sub ports, might only cost you $20 in parts. Add a PC power supply or DVD power supply for a few bucks.
This is the easiest part, with great big solder points. It's only tedious because there is a lot of them. If you don't know how to solder, you could even learn here because it's very simple. All you need to do is solder one end of a wire to an edge connector, and the other end to a D-sub connector. And do it again 50-odd times.

Here's a recent thread about controllers. Not specifically for superguns, but I posted some pictures of hacked Saturn/Genesis pads which will be one of the cheaper pads to make, $5-$15 each depending on how cheaply you can source the controllers.
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?t=12218

Here's how to make your own S-video encoder. Possibly the more difficult step due to smaller solder points. I made mine for about $8, but may cost you more depending on the price of the PS1.
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?t=7854

And the rest is MVS motherboard. Trading Station, you know where that is ;)