Salamander, Parodius, Twinbee Collections on PSP

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Michaelm

Salamander, Parodius, Twinbee Collections on PSP

Post by Michaelm »

Source http://gamefront.de/

Konami is working on PSP versions of :

Parodius Portable
Twinbee Portable
Salamander Portable

It's about time for a price reduction of the PSP I would think :)
Kaede

Post by Kaede »

Cool, all we need now is Sony to work on PSP's that actually let you move your ship in diagonals. :x
CIT

Post by CIT »

XEXEX!!! Yessss!!!!!!

What might those secret games be? Probably Twinbee Rainbow Bell in the Twinbee pack and Paro Wars in the Paro Pack. But in the Salamnder collection? Thundercross 1 or 2? Trigon? NES Life Force?
Shocky

Post by Shocky »

CIT wrote: But in the Salamnder collection? Thundercross 1 or 2? Trigon? NES Life Force?
They could port Salamander MSX version, which is very different from the original (it has different levels, secrets, tons of added weapons and stuff) and one of the most awesome shmups ever.

Dang.. These collection almost force me to buy a psp now.. just when I was starting to feel content with my DS lite and felt that I can live without the psp Gradius collection.
Before Pope John Paul died he decreed that Aliens were also GOD's creatures and we should treat them with respect.

Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

The secret game in the Parodius collection could be Parodius MSX. I'd prefer that to Paro Wars, actually.
theevilfunkster

Post by theevilfunkster »

Very cool but we are long overdue a new Parodius and Salamander game.
Xexyz

Post by Xexyz »

I wonder if any of these besides the Salamander pack will see a U.S. release. Doesn't really matter though, seeing as handhelds are region free.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Did someone say XEXEX?
'cause I think I just heard someone say XEXEX.

What in the sweet Jesus is XEXEX doing packed in with Salamander? Is it even confirmed that its going to be bundled in? I'm getting "Hamster XEXEX port" vibes at the moment... -_-;;
UnscathedFlyingObject

Post by UnscathedFlyingObject »

That "new" in the title made me think there was going to be something new from them. Alas.
"Sooo, what was it that you consider a 'good salary' for a man to make?"
"They should at least make 100K to have a good life"
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

good news. sort of pissed i have to buy more stuff...

oh well one must deal. :D
I have no sig whatsoever.
Galaxius

Post by Galaxius »

Great news. The Gradius Collection was top-knotch.

And Xexex yes. :D
bay

Post by bay »

nice, finally something i'm going to buy for the PSP!
PFG 9000

Post by PFG 9000 »

Man, I really don't want to get a PSP. But if the Salamander and Parodius collections are released in the US, I don't know if I'll be able to resist any longer. This is great news.
Super Laydock

Post by Super Laydock »

All these collections are kind of cheap (litterally!!!) porting by Konami, considering the supposed compatibility of PSP with PSX at least (just the disc format being a hindrance). Its been announced already by Sony that there'll be many more other PSX games ported to the PSP (hey it's easy porting so why not use the massive back catalogue and do the same as Nintendo does).

It's commendable that they care to do so though and it's just utterly fantastic if they really make the effort of porting Xexex for the Salamander Collection (since they could easily make this one a sperate full release!).

And hey, if they can port Xexex for the Salamander pack, which seems odd indeed, they could just as well put in a Space Manbow port there as the (yet undisclosed) secret game! :D

If they do something like that I might actually remotely consider getting a PSP. Probably not though. ;)
Barroom hero!
Bathroom hero!
MSZ

Post by MSZ »

DS who?
Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke »

I heard that Hamster wasn't going through on Xexex due to this pack. Which bloody well stinks for anyone who doesn't own a PSP (myself included!).
'Only a fool trusts his life to a weapon.'
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

Then it's bloody well time to get a PSP.
Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke »

iatneH wrote:Then it's bloody well time to get a PSP.
I didn't think shmups had a comedy night...

Apart from a moderate interest in Xexex, I don't see the merits of buying a $200+ system which harbours barely any other interesting titles (warning, warning, OPINION). There's Ultimate Ghouls N Ghosts and that's all that immeadiately comes to mind.

Personally, not owning a GBA any longer puts me in a position to be more interested in DS.
'Only a fool trusts his life to a weapon.'
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

I have a DS!!! :roll:

I've got castlevania on the way to. I'm eager to try it out.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
shinsage

Post by shinsage »

I wonder how Twinbee will work out, i.e. will it be mandatory to play the PSP sideways.

I'm interested in the reasoning behind Xexex's inclusion -- part of the Salamander/Gradius universe?
tviks

Post by tviks »

This is great but I'm getting pretty sick of companies giving us collections, ports, rerelases and remakes all the time of the games we already own and love. I want the new Gradius game damnit.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

shinsage wrote:I'm interested in the reasoning behind Xexex's inclusion -- part of the Salamander/Gradius universe?
I'd guess they just needed to cram another game into that pack to give it the same amount of games as the other two packs, and it was about the closest fit to the "theme" that they could find.
BIG

Post by BIG »

shinsage wrote:I wonder how Twinbee will work out, i.e. will it be mandatory to play the PSP sideways.

I'm interested in the reasoning behind Xexex's inclusion -- part of the Salamander/Gradius universe?
Damn if I know,but it's Xexex,so I ain't complaining! :lol:

B-
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

shinsage wrote:I'm interested in the reasoning behind Xexex's inclusion -- part of the Salamander/Gradius universe?
Xexex and Salamander have nothing to do with each other save being developed by Konami. So I would agree with BulletMagnet - included to fill up the numbers.

I would have preferred Xexex either as a PS2 standalone port or bundled with Thunder Cross and Thunder Cross 2, however. ;_;
I hope they don't completely mangle the port. That'd be reason enough for me to completely lose faith in Konami.
Soldato J

Post by Soldato J »

Been dying to hear announcement of Paro collection.... 8)
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Icarus wrote:I hope they don't completely mangle the port. That'd be reason enough for me to completely lose faith in Konami.
Most of their similar stuff like this in the past, to the best of my knowledge, has turned out pretty well...the Deluxe Packs were good on both Saturn and PS1, and most impressions of the PSP Gradius collection were good too, so if nothing else they have a pretty good track record when it comes to repackaging their old shooters.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

BulletMagnet wrote:Most of their similar stuff like this in the past, to the best of my knowledge, has turned out pretty well...the Deluxe Packs were good on both Saturn and PS1, and most impressions of the PSP Gradius collection were good too, so if nothing else they have a pretty good track record when it comes to repackaging their old shooters.
Those are a given, and they've been ported many times, giving them plenty of practice at doing it. This is Xexex we are talking about, a game that was meant to be ported to Super Famicom CD many moons ago, and then slated for PS2, and both have never materialised.

I'm a huge Xexex fan, and have the Japanese PCB. A portable Xexex for gaming on the go would be divine, but only if they don't screw it up.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

I don't know much about hardware or anything like that, but on this (rare) occasion I'd assume that they'll probably do a good job of porting Xexex as well as the rest. As for experience porting certain games and whatnot, again, I'm no expert on exactly how that works, but who knows how much of the staff from the Deluxe Pack era is even still there, and the Gradius PSP pack turned out well, regardless. Not like it matters to me a heckuva lot since I don't have a PSP, but I'd still say that the odds of a good port aren't too far-fetched. Of course, only time will tell for certain.
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

edit: Is the SHMUPs review for Xexex missing?

This is excellent news, indeed. The PSP has become a 2D compilation fan's dream. I also want to second that it'd be nice if the 5th games were the respective MSX ports or in Twinbee's case, Rainbow Bell Adventure as CIT said.

Xexex port is killer enough including NES/Fami LifeForce for the Salamander pack is icing. Would have been cool to have the NES and MSX ports on Gradius portable.

Anyways, looks like I will be broke in January. :P Also, I agree it'd be nice to also have these on a home system (such as the scuttled Hamster PS2 port of Xexex) but I cannot believe some people are not more excited about this, especially after years of not just wanting Xexex itself, but just wanting better compilations in general from Konami who is finally stepping up to the plate. Possible emulation issues aside, now they just need to release big Capcom Classic style discs and they are all but redeemed IMHO.
PFG 9000 wrote:Man, I really don't want to get a PSP. But if the Salamander and Parodius collections are released in the US, I don't know if I'll be able to resist any longer. This is great news.
It plays imports, you know. My Gradius Portable import has almost zero Japanese escept for the manual.
Last edited by Dylan1CC on Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

CIT wrote:XEXEX!!! Yessss!!!!!!

What might those secret games be? Probably Twinbee Rainbow Bell in the Twinbee pack and Paro Wars in the Paro Pack. But in the Salamnder collection? Thundercross 1 or 2? Trigon? NES Life Force?
I wonder if the secret game in the Salamander pack may be Gradius V, since this didn't appear in the Gradius collection. I'm guessing the one in the TwinBee pack could be Polystars (from the 3DO M2 arcade system).
Kinect? KIN NOT.