Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:28 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: GD: Air Gallet
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:44 pm 

Ok, here's what i know so far:
The medals flash from 2000 pts to 50, but if you wait for a while, they will have 2000 value again for a short time.

Collecting ALL the medals in a stage grants you a 100000 bonus at the end of it. Losing lives doesn't matter.

I don't really understand the endstage bonus calculations, do you get something special if you manage to pick all the medals in a stage with 2000 value each?

I was fighting the 4th boss when a 1up appeared, it was probably score based (150000?).

But most importantly, you can do a barrel roll by pressing left or right 2 times in very quick sucession. It acts like a dash of sorts and you gain a speed boost for a while. After you do it once, there seems to be a slight delay before you can do it again.
This maneuver seems crucial in dodging some of the patterns (like the 3rd boss pink spray). It's very hard to do consistently on a gamepad, i can't rely on it at all. I'm even doubting wether i got the command right, because sometimes my ship does a barrel roll out of nowhere without me doing anything special. This is very confusing and i can't figure out a proper notation to save my life. Anyone knows more about it?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:56 am 

waaah waaaah *moaning*

no one knows about the dash thingy? i tought air gallet was quite played.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: GD: Air Gallet
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:17 am 

The vagrant wrote:
Collecting ALL the medals in a stage grants you a 100000 bonus at the end of it.

no more than 5% can be 10pt medals

and the dash is random for me. annoying for players who don't know how to avoid triggering it and running into a bullet.
<Megalixir> i'm stuck in a hobby with gays

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:09 am 

Dash is tap --> hold for 1-2sec (same direction for both inputs). Seems to need about 10 seconds between each go.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:18 am 

Insanely terribly huge bump, but does anyone know what the 'best' weapon to have is? Or are they generally well balanced?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:49 am 

Missiles are the best in terms of screen coverage and reliable damage, so you'll want to have them for almost the entire game. The blue laser is useful for shooting the stage 4 boss's core during its final form, since destroying the side turrets will trigger a nasty spread pattern. The other two weapons are pretty useless as far as I can see. The green weapon is especially horrible, to the point where you can end up snowballing into a gameover if you accidentally pick it up during certain stage portions. :P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:29 pm 

azinth wrote:
The green weapon is especially horrible, to the point where you can end up snowballing into a gameover if you accidentally pick it up during certain stage portions. :P

This. You can hit anywhere on the screen with it, but you do negligible damage so what's the point? Edit: Green weapon is actually pretty good - it doesn't do much damage if you use autofire, but if you actually hold down the shot button it has its own autofire built in that does good damage. Laser's also nice and reliable. Fire at the very least does decent close range damage and missile deals weak foward damage with massive homing damage (the missiles do tons of damage).

Are there hitbox differences between 1P and 2P side? I know 2P starts with the alternate bomb, the stronger Raiden style bomb that does more damage but doesn't make you directly invulnerable. Is the green fullscreen bomb the recommended one? I found I had more luck with it, but maybe the stronger bomb is more useful if you know where to use it preemptively?

Last edited by BareKnuckleRoo on Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:27 am 

I usually go with the green bomb since it's way safer and hits every enemy on-screen. It's not as powerful as the blue one, but you can still do some hefty damage if you point-blank while you're invincible.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:53 am 

Is there a fixed extend, or is it just the score extend at 1.5m?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:31 pm 

Only the extend at 1.5m.

End bonus is lifex1M, there's also a "special" 1M bonus but I don't think that has any conditions.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:54 am 

I've been savestate grinding the last boss with an optimal 5 bomb stock, and I have the patterns in her first form down with little problem, but I keep encountering something weird. So, she continously shoots aimed blue shots from her head at you while the nodes rotate through four attacks (fixed spread (based on your location)-->aimed lasers-->blue shot sweep-->missiles-->fixed spread-->etc), but seemingly randomly, fast aimed blue shots will sometimes fire from much lower, like in the middle of the screen. They're almost impossible to dodge or predict. They don't seem to visually appear from anything, and I can't tell if this is a weird mame artifact or just some extra bullshit challenge the game throws in. Can anyone confirm?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:08 am 

The missiles that boss shoots turn into aimed blue bullets when you blow them up. Are you sure it's not those? They confused me for a while too until I realised what was going on.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:36 pm 

You're right, I didn't notice those before. But I swear I saw it happen at other times, on patterns other than the missiles. Hmmm...

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:44 pm 

oxtsu wrote:
Dash is tap --> hold for 1-2sec (same direction for both inputs). Seems to need about 10 seconds between each go.

Oh dear lord, thank you so much! I searched everywhere before I found this thread. I am getting good at AG, but the dash was always completely random for me. And sometimes it would come at the most inconvenient times... :evil:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:01 pm 

I somehow never even noticed there was a dash... Good to know that, I don't think I would have found that out on my own.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube

Offline Profile