DARIUS BURST CHRONICLE SAVIOURS (STEAM/PS4/Vita)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Durandal

Re: DARIUS BURST CHRONICLE SAVIOURS (STEAM/PS4/Vita)

Post by Durandal »

I'd really love a practice mode for bosses and training Counterbursting
Not much in the game is explained to the player
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
ratsflif

Post by ratsflif »

Durandal wrote:I'd really love a practice mode for bosses and training Counterbursting
Not much in the game is explained to the player
Yeah, a practice mode would be nice. I can't seem to get the counter burst timing down, I've only pulled it off about 3 times.
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

The "sit right in front of it" style of counterburst is easy to time -- you want to press the burst button exactly when the third pip of the warning sound plays. If you're a musician, just think of it as a metronome.

The "side into it" style is hard for me, but the concept is that you want to hit the button and then side into the boss laser while your own laser is in startup frames, so it goes active when you're within the boss laser.
amdiggywhut

Post by amdiggywhut »

Couple more questions for a lower-skill player. This is only my second Darius experience (aside from Gaiden, which I love but haven't 1cc'd).

1) After you have unlocked a ship, does the default power levels match whatever is on the Preset ship? Or do you have to spend additional points to increase the stats every time you use it? I have enough points to unlock a few ships but haven't used them yet.

2) I'm currently stuck on the first Glutton. When the piranha babies are sprawling across the screen, are you actually damaging the boss by hurting/killing the babies? Or should my strategy just be dodging these?

Thanks!
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

Regarding the Glutton, you can kill them for points and burst gauge but I'm pretty sure they don't damage the boss. There will be some that have some sort of shield around them, particularly after the first round - I'm not sure if these can be damaged or not.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
Sparrow

Post by Sparrow »

Now I understand. In CS Mode, the Warning labels appeared out of nowhere to make some certain areas loses 'Completed' status.
It is like it's increasing chores to complete. Right?
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

IDruggedShamu wrote:1) Yes, you have to press 'triangle' when selecting a stage to update the scores and see who holds the world record (and on which cab it is) as well as who cleared the mission first. No indication of this anywhere in-game, however this info is listed in the online manual.

2) CS Mode is 1 player only, on every version. Only AC is multiplayer.
Thanks! How's the multiplayer handled on PS4 / Steam... is it just local (four pads and three buddies in same room) or also online?
blag wrote:I picked up the Vita version now that it's available in Europe (was £32.99 for anyone curious) and am getting crashes every now and again in CS mode after a mission ends. I haven't had this at all on the Steam version but hopefully it gets patched soon as its pretty irritating.
Have played just a couple hours this morning but I experienced a crash in CS too.
X - P - B
CloudyMusic

Post by CloudyMusic »

Multiplayer is local only.
cave hermit

Post by cave hermit »

trap15 wrote:
cave hermit wrote:Yeah it seemed dumb to me too, but I assumed maybe Taito knew something about ergonomics I didn't?

So I just went with it.
No that's not how it's laid out in the arcade, are you high? :V

Code: Select all

[SHOT] [BURST]

[TURN]
Spoiler
Welp turns out I'm retarded; I just realized that the PDF I was looking at has the turn button placed just below the fire and burst buttons, instead of having all 3 in a line like I thought.

In hindsight that makes a lot more sense.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Magma Dragoon wrote:Will they ever update the official site with info on the bosses and the Murakumo ship?
They may or may not actually be able to until the Japanese release.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

Man I fuckin' hate the missions that force you to use Genesis as a preset. Really seems like the worst ship in the game. Boginzu was a total bitch, took tons of plays to clear before I figured out you can just point blank Stare right in the eyeballs.
<STG.1cc> 死ぬがよい <ACT.1cc>
Magma Dragoon

Post by Magma Dragoon »

ACSeraph wrote:Man I fuckin' hate the missions that force you to use Genesis as a preset. Really seems like the worst ship in the game. Boginzu was a total bitch, took tons of plays to clear before I figured out you can just point blank Stare right in the eyeballs.
I think the main problem is that you just can't use the alpha beam unless the burst gauge is full and whenever you lose a option you lose burst gauge with it.
Image Image Image Image
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

^Exactly that, but its extremely difficult to protect your options, and the ships damage output is really low no matter what you do. I found for the most part I was better off pre-charging the beam way way in advance, in the case of Insane Stare I just go ahead and charge it up right when the fight begins. I feel like the ship would be more balanced if the options didn't cancel bullets or take damage, but I guess it would lost some of the G-Darius flavor if it worked that way.
ElOhTeeBee

Post by ElOhTeeBee »

What do the blue power-ups do?
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

give you shields
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
Steelix100

Post by Steelix100 »

Domino wrote:I'm curious for those who play Original EX, which ship would be the best in peoples opinion?

CS Mode is grind-fest but not crazy grindy. I'll do CS Mode then do a few places in Arcade mode. I haven't done a whole lot on the Chronicles/Mission mode in the Arcade part. Then again Cabinet 0001 is getting a lot of action. :p
Made a ship tier list a while back, your best bet would probably be to just use Next. Genesis and Assault are pretty good too, but I think Next is better.
Casual shmup player
ArmoredCore

Post by ArmoredCore »

How do we move the fixed bursts in small movements. Also i can't even control the direction of the thing accurately for it to be effective :/.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

ArmoredCore wrote:How do we move the fixed bursts in small movements. Also i can't even control the direction of the thing accurately for it to be effective :/.
For Formula and Legend, the fixed burst tries to point away from your ship, and for Next, it tries to point towards your ship. The burst unit will rotate in this manner when you're initially holding V (or whatever button it is on other controllers) to set up the fixed burst, and after that when you're not firing - it will stay locked in position while you're firing. Note that unlike the regular burst you don't have to continue holding the button to keep the laser firing.

I find Next to be much more responsive when it comes to quickly pointing the laser in a specific direction - I just tap V while moving in the direction I want it to aim and it'll point that way, while with Legend and Formula it seems to take a little while for the burst unit to spin to the direction I want. After setting it up you can adjust the direction by letting go of the fire button for a bit.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

ArmoredCore wrote:How do we move the fixed bursts in small movements. Also i can't even control the direction of the thing accurately for it to be effective :/.
Let go of shot to move it. With Legend it moves away from your ship, and with Next it moves towards you. So for example, to create a wall with Legend if you place the beam in the upper half of the screen go a little above and in front of the "bit". It will move relatively slowly, and you need to be in front so beam placement with Legend is a bit more dangerous.

With Next it will swing directly to your ship until it intersects with the ship. It moves extremely quickly, which seems difficult to control at first, but is incredibly useful when you're good at it. The movement is essentially the opposite of Legend, so to create a wall you just go behind where you want it. Let of shot just for a split second and then hold it again and you should move the beam into a vertical position. Practice it a bit in A-zone and you'll get the hang of it. It's much easier and safer to set up than Legend imo.

Edit: Shep beat me too it, but more info never hurts I guess
Domino

Post by Domino »

Steelix100 wrote:
Domino wrote:I'm curious for those who play Original EX, which ship would be the best in peoples opinion?

CS Mode is grind-fest but not crazy grindy. I'll do CS Mode then do a few places in Arcade mode. I haven't done a whole lot on the Chronicles/Mission mode in the Arcade part. Then again Cabinet 0001 is getting a lot of action. :p
Made a ship tier list a while back, your best bet would probably be to just use Next. Genesis and Assault are pretty good too, but I think Next is better.
Thanks man. Too bad you can't use Murakumo in AC mode. :p
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Been messing around with Genesis.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uC-ajbM_M0o
pestro87

Post by pestro87 »

Just bought this on Steam and I'm liking it so far! I've always been a casual fan of the Darius series so I'm probably not going to go for score but I've been having fun nonetheless.
Sparrow

Post by Sparrow »

Eek, There are Great Thing series in end points at CS Mode, cannot advance... TT TT
Wish I find Azure Nightmare and Gigantic Bite faster at Chronicle Mode. But too many Zones.

I know I'm new to PS4 but I found it shockingly, PS4 became just like Xbox for requiring Plus to play online in multiplayer. Really? Really?
I will be even more disappointed and sad if this Darius game were to introduce online invitation feature that requires Plus too.
ArmoredCore

Post by ArmoredCore »

Good tips. Practicing it, i can control the initial direction with next but after i want to the directions its weird still.
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

^With Next, try to think of the beam as moving on a circular track with the "bit" as the center point. The beam is magnetically attracted to your ship.

So at any given time the radius of the circle is the distance between your ship and the bit. When trying to determine which direction the beam will move if you let off shot, try to imagine a circle based on the radius described above, where your ship is one point on the circle and wherever the beam intersects is another point. Moving along the circumference, the beam will take the shortest route towards your ship as though it is magnetically attracted to it.

Legend is the exact opposite situation, where you are magnetically repulsing the beam.
Dirty Casual

Post by Dirty Casual »

I've been following this thread for a while now. It's always interesting to read opinions from people who know their stuff. (And it's helped me figure out how the ships work.) I just got an ADH clear, so I figured I'd ask a question that's been bugging me.

I've put some time into Darius Plus and Sagaia (on Genesis)--not enough to get a clear in either one, but I really enjoy them. So, I get that a big part of Darius is enemy waves that fly around in different patterns. There's a tension between finding the right spot to clear out a wave while having to dodge the stray bullets and the enemies that want to lure you out of that spot.

In Darius or Darius II, waves will have 5 or so enemies. In DARIUSBURST, waves will have 50 enemies. Certainly, you have the firepower to take on such massive waves, but I just have to wonder why. What does the game gain by flooding the screen with enemies? Couldn't you make gameplay a lot cleaner by toning everything back? It's not like the standard or fixed bursts couldn't work with smaller enemy waves. Coming off of the ancient Darius games, DARIUSBURST seems like it has a lot of clutter.

Now I realize this kind of reductionist questioning has the tendency to lose a lot of complexities and subtleties that flesh out a game's identity. I also have a good deal less experience than everyone here. So, I figured I'd ask: what am I missing? (Will it make more sense as I advance to the more difficult routes?)

Thanks all!
trap15

Post by trap15 »

More enemies = more destruction = more visceral and exciting for the player.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Dirty Casual wrote:So, I figured I'd ask: what am I missing? (Will it make more sense as I advance to the more difficult routes?)
I feel like it gives the game part of its "character." The huge waves of enemies in Burst is supposed to call to mind huge shoals of fish swimming in and out of view. Visually, it's a cool trick, and mechanically, it is satisfying to mow them all down with a burst laser. I agree that some scenes border on clutter but things are balanced between aggressive enemies, cannon fodder, and cannon fodder that will kill you if you don't do them in first.

The whole system emphasizes using the burst beam, and the schools become far more dangerous on harder routes, where they are coupled with enemies that actively attack you.
trap15 wrote:More enemies = more destruction = more visceral and exciting for the player.
Simply stated, and true! Nothing makes you feel cooler than being a flying death machine.
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

I think the idea is that the enemies move like schools of fish, an effect that has only been possible to really achieve with modern tech that can account for hundreds of enemies at once. I'm guessing had they been able to it would have looked this way from the beginning.
Dumple

Post by Dumple »

I cleared an (easy) level on Chronicle mode. I'M HELPING!