Micomsoft SC-500N1 RGB Capture Card

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
blizzz

Re: Micomsoft SC-500N1 RGB Capture Card

Post by blizzz »

BuckoA51 wrote:Blizz, that pattern looks like what I used to get on mine, try a different PSU and/or a RAW sync SCART cable.
Is there anyone that sells raw sync cables in Europe? I know of retro_console_accessories but she ships worldwide except Germany...

I also made a short video of R-Type III with the SC-500N1. Looks quite good, not sure if I need to invest another 20€ for that cable.
dieKatze88

Post by dieKatze88 »

blizzz wrote:
BuckoA51 wrote:Blizz, that pattern looks like what I used to get on mine, try a different PSU and/or a RAW sync SCART cable.
Is there anyone that sells raw sync cables in Europe? I know of retro_console_accessories but she ships worldwide except Germany...

I also made a short video of R-Type III with the SC-500N1. Looks quite good, not sure if I need to invest another 20€ for that cable.
That looks pretty effin good. I think this picture is the tipping point for me picking up one of these to possibly replace my Avermedia for HDMI and RGB
jeffsledge

Post by jeffsledge »

Do these cards force encoding of the captured image?
blizzz

Post by blizzz »

jeffsledge wrote:Do these cards force encoding of the captured image?
The SC-500N1 is a Directshow device, so you can use it with Amarec, VDub or whatever you like.

Made another vid, this time of Yoshi's Island.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Quality is bang on eh? I don't see how it could get any better.

Man I wish I'd finished up Yoshi's Island, I popped it in my SNES a month or two ago, I had 3 or so levels to go and I found the battery had died :(

Is there a way that you could add commentary to the video as it was recording? Say by mixing in a USB headset mic or something similar?
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
blizzz

Post by blizzz »

BuckoA51 wrote:Quality is bang on eh? I don't see how it could get any better.

Man I wish I'd finished up Yoshi's Island, I popped it in my SNES a month or two ago, I had 3 or so levels to go and I found the battery had died :(
I used slight noise filtering in the videos (and I also had to shift the audio by 170ms), but I think it should look like that or a bit better with pure sync RGB cables without filtering. I 100%ed Yoshi's Island in 3 days last week after several years of not playing it. It's still the best platformer I've played.

Edit:
BuckoA51 wrote:Is there a way that you could add commentary to the video as it was recording? Say by mixing in a USB headset mic or something similar?
I think Amarec allows you to mix audio sources, but I haven't looked into it. If you want to record commentary I suggest that you record it seperately with Audacity or something like that. That way it's easier to change the volume of voices and game audio afterwards.
dieKatze88

Post by dieKatze88 »

I'm so glad that I am not the only one who feels that way about Yoshi's Island. My Friends don't understand how I do it so hard, because I have 100%s in all the slots on the SNES and GBA versions without using the copy command XD.

Shame on you for taking the winged cloud and not the magnifying glass.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

If I didn't swap between dozens of different games all the time I might actually finish some too :) I had Yoshi's for years and never completed the last few levels.

It is awesome though... anyway back on topic !
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
Tranquilite

Post by Tranquilite »

Does anybody know if the AVERMEDIA Game Broadcaster HD also supports 15khz RGB? Also, does anybody know what the capture quality is like compared with the SC-500N1? It wouldn't be too expensive to get a CGA2VGA board, but the capture quality is a pretty big deal. It's so hard to trying to decide which card to get, because it seems that no (reasonably priced) card is capable of "doing everything".
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I don't understand the question. If the 100 GBP Startech card is indeed the same as the Micomsoft card, why would you want to get a 140 GBP Avermedia card instead ? I think it's pretty obvious which card which give you the better quality.
blizzz

Post by blizzz »

Tranquilite wrote:Does anybody know if the AVERMEDIA Game Broadcaster HD also supports 15khz RGB? Also, does anybody know what the capture quality is like compared with the SC-500N1? It wouldn't be too expensive to get a CGA2VGA board, but the capture quality is a pretty big deal. It's so hard to trying to decide which card to get, because it seems that no (reasonably priced) card is capable of "doing everything".
Don't know if the C127 supports 15 kHz RGB (it doesn't advertise it anywhere) but I know that the Component quality is worse than the SC-500N1. The only good thing about the C127 is that it can capture 1080p60 (EDIT: this is wrong, it only supports 1080p30!), but that only makes sense if you can capture HDMI or have perfect Component quality. PS3 is copy protected so you can't capture it and the majority of games run at 720p. The 360 doesn't even manage 720p for most games. If you want to capture HD games get a H727 which can capture HDCP protected 720p video, it's also got nice composite and S-Video (though not perfect).
dieKatze88 wrote:Shame on you for taking the winged cloud and not the magnifying glass.
Why would I taket he magnifying glass, it's useless. It just makes the red coins red but they're already a different colour than the normal coins anyway.
Last edited by blizzz on Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Doesn't the SC-500N1 do 1080P/30 anyway? I'd imagine that would be more than adequate for streaming or Youtube capture. For capturing the PC there's several good software solutions too, XFire for instance makes it super easy and works in game for hundreds of games.
GregI

Post by GregI »

BuckoA51 wrote:Doesn't the SC-500N1 do 1080P/30 anyway? I'd imagine that would be more than adequate for streaming or Youtube capture.
True. No point in making your drives work that hard though when 720p is even upscale for most games. I remember reading that MGS4 (arguably the best looking game) is rendered at 1024x768

Tranq, as blizzz explained the Aver cards are nowhere near the SC-500N1 level. They suffer from blurry component and massive black crush to boot.

The StarTech card really is the thing to get right now if 480 and above is your goal.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Yeah I was thinking for PC since you're right there's only the odd current gen console game that manages proper 1080p output.
dieKatze88

Post by dieKatze88 »

blizzz wrote:
Tranquilite wrote:Does anybody know if the AVERMEDIA Game Broadcaster HD also supports 15khz RGB? Also, does anybody know what the capture quality is like compared with the SC-500N1? It wouldn't be too expensive to get a CGA2VGA board, but the capture quality is a pretty big deal. It's so hard to trying to decide which card to get, because it seems that no (reasonably priced) card is capable of "doing everything".
Don't know if the C127 supports 15 kHz RGB (it doesn't advertise it anywhere) but I know that the Component quality is worse than the SC-500N1. The only good thing about the C127 is that it can capture 1080p60, but that only makes sense if you can capture HDMI or have perfect Component quality. PS3 is copy protected so you can't capture it and the majority of games run at 720p. The 360 doesn't even manage 720p for most games. If you want to capture HD games get a H727 which can capture HDCP protected 720p video, it's also got nice composite and S-Video (though not perfect).
Please stop spreading the rumor that thing supports 1080p60. Their own website admits to the fact that it is only 1080p30 capable.
dieKatze88 wrote:Shame on you for taking the winged cloud and not the magnifying glass.
Why would I taket he magnifying glass, it's useless. It just makes the red coins red but they're already a different colour than the normal coins anyway.[/quote]

Suppose it depends on version. The difference in color is easier to see on the SNES than the GBA, on the GBA that thing really does have use.
SunJammer

Post by SunJammer »

went ahead and grabbed the StarTech card from amazon, so when it arrives next week I'll see how it handles 240p content coming from a Sync Strike.

oh and RE: yoshi's island, how did you manage to play that level as the green yoshi?
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

If I'd known everyone was going to do this I might have waited :mrgreen:
blizzz

Post by blizzz »

BuckoA51 wrote:Doesn't the SC-500N1 do 1080P/30 anyway? I'd imagine that would be more than adequate for streaming or Youtube capture.
No, it only supports 1080p24 on HDMI which is useless (1080i on Component). 1080p30 would be enough for Youtube though.
dieKatze88 wrote:
blizzz wrote:The only good thing about the C127 is that it can capture 1080p60
Please stop spreading the rumor that thing supports 1080p60. Their own website admits to the fact that it is only 1080p30 capable.
Oh, you're right. I just saw 1080p60 on Amazon and the website didn't mention the frequency. Had to switch to the international page to see that it's limited to 30 fps.
SunJammer wrote:oh and RE: yoshi's island, how did you manage to play that level as the green yoshi?
All special stages are played with the green Yoshi. At least I think that's the case in the JP version. Can't remember how it was in PAL SNES and GBA and I haven't played the 3DS port yet.

Also, for anyone who's interested in playing from the preview window of Amarec: I found a Japanese review that says it has 3 frames lag. Not too bad for me. And before everyone buys the StarTech clone you should maybe wait for someone to confirm that it is indeed the same card with 240p RGB support. I think it is the same, but waiting a few days may be easier than sending it back and requesting a refund.
SunJammer

Post by SunJammer »

blizzz wrote:And before everyone buys the StarTech clone you should maybe wait for someone to confirm that it is indeed the same card with 240p RGB support. I think it is the same, but waiting a few days may be easier than sending it back and requesting a refund.
yeah i was hesitant for awhile, but even if there isn't 240p support I'll still be using it to capture content from my 360 and retro consoles via my vigatec fx2 (plus there was only 1 left on amazon...)
blizzz wrote:All special stages are played with the green Yoshi. At least I think that's the case in the JP version. Can't remember how it was in PAL SNES and GBA and I haven't played the 3DS port yet.
ahhh of course. I think I got 3-special confused with 3-3. great play tho! looks almost tool-assisted
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

If it doesn't work out for me I was just going to send it back under the distance selling regulations.

Shame 1080p/30 isn't supported, this might be a daft question but I've never owned a capture card before... Can I feed it a 1080p signal and just capture it downscaled to 720p?
blizzz

Post by blizzz »

BuckoA51 wrote:Shame 1080p/30 isn't supported, this might be a daft question but I've never owned a capture card before... Can I feed it a 1080p signal and just capture it downscaled to 720p?
No, the card can't handle 1080p30 / 60 signals even if you want to record it at a lower res. You have to record at the input resolution with Amarec or VDub. Maybe other programs allow you to downscale while recording, but these two are the best programs.
Tranquilite

Post by Tranquilite »

blizzz wrote:
dieKatze88 wrote:
blizzz wrote:The only good thing about the C127 is that it can capture 1080p60
Oh, you're right. I just saw 1080p60 on Amazon and the website didn't mention the frequency. Had to switch to the international page to see that it's limited to 30 fps.
I'm pretty sure the C127 will accept a 1080p60 signal, but will only capture at 30fps. Or at least that's what the table on Avermedia's website says. From what I can tell, there are no PCIE 1x cards that will do true 1080p60.
blizzz

Post by blizzz »

Tranquilite wrote:I'm pretty sure the C127 will accept a 1080p60 signal, but will only capture at 30fps. Or at least that's what the table on Avermedia's website says. From what I can tell, there are no PCIE 1x cards that will do true 1080p60.
Hmmm, 1080p60 + Audio is ~4Gb/s and PCIe 2.0 x1 is also ~4Gb/s. The bandwidth should be barely there, so why does the card accept 1080p60 but doesn't let you capture it. Does it drop each second frame in hardware before transmitting it to the CPU? They could also have made a x2 card if the overhead is too big, shouldn't be much more expensive. Or did they want to maximize compatibility as most people have more free x1 slots than x4/x16. Strange.
Didn't the Blackmagic Intesity Shuttle Thunderbolt also advertise 1080p60 at first, but it was later pulled? Thunderbolt has more than plenty of bandwidth. Is there something I'm overlooking or are the chips on these lower end cards just too slow?
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

It's that time, question time - do folks consider this card an upgrade to the Sweetspot, in terms of compatibility (aside from some obvious gains like the newer form factor)?
dieKatze88

Post by dieKatze88 »

blizzz wrote:
SunJammer wrote:oh and RE: yoshi's island, how did you manage to play that level as the green yoshi?
All special stages are played with the green Yoshi. At least I think that's the case in the JP version. Can't remember how it was in PAL SNES and GBA and I haven't played the 3DS port yet.

Also, for anyone who's interested in playing from the preview window of Amarec: I found a Japanese review that says it has 3 frames lag. Not too bad for me. And before everyone buys the StarTech clone you should maybe wait for someone to confirm that it is indeed the same card with 240p RGB support. I think it is the same, but waiting a few days may be easier than sending it back and requesting a refund.
This is in fact the case for all 3 versions of NTSC-U Yoshi's Island (SNES, GBA, 3DS)

When someone else gets in their StarTech clone def. post back. I think I want one.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Got this waiting for me this morning:-
Unfortunately, due to an unavoidable delay between our inventory control and ecommerce system,
the following item(s) were actually out of stock at the time of ordering.

Product : StarTech PCI Express HD Video Capture Card 1080p - HDMI / DVI / VGA/ Component
ETA : 2012-06-22

We have backordered the item for you and will dispatch your order as soon as it becomes available again.
Ah well, guess I'll see how it works out for SunJammer since he's using the same setup I would have been.
blizzz

Post by blizzz »

Taken with the same RGB cable as the noisy SFC picture (on a PAL GCN):
The image quality is really bad (moving lines), so I guess it's safe to assume that I should buy a better cable for my SFC?

Also note the noise in this picture:
You can't cause it looks fabulous! (Wii VC with RGB cable)

Edit: The card has problems with 288p component. The colours are all wrong.
GregI

Post by GregI »

LambdaTek have 5 in stock. £105.94 delivered here.

http://www.lambda-tek.com/componentshop ... ID=B878736
blizzz

Post by blizzz »

alamone wrote:The main feature of this card is the ability to capture 15KHz RGB signals
when used with the X-SYNC1 (sync H/V splitter). It can capture (concurrently!)
component video, HDMI (without HDCP), DVI (without HDCP), and analog VGA.
(^1st post of the topic)

Can anyone confirm/deny if the card can capture multiple signals concurrently? The Video Keeper app is limited to one instance and when using AmaRecTV changing the driver setting for one instance will also change the signal of the other instance. This results in interesting stuff like a 720x480 screen with the upper 240 lines from a 15 kHz RGB signal and the lower 240 lines from the component input.
GregI

Post by GregI »

I googled the chip on ST card: MStar MST3367CMK-LF-170

Leads you to a second clone with SDI?: http://www.camkato.com/en/showpro.asp?s ... 1096&idc=2

I then found another clone: http://www1.oc.com.tw/forums/forumview. ... msgid=3001

UPMOST UPG700SDI (They have UPG700HDMI on above page)

For UPG700HDMI they want 5990 Yen?: http://buy.yahoo.com.tw/gdsale/gdsale.asp?gdid=2706920

That is just under £50 according to xe.com. Add on shipping and imports.... maybe £80 total?