Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Stevens

Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?

Post by Stevens »

Stick with it Jonst.

Still working on Esp 2 BL. Best run is now 827 million, but I've had a few kuso runs over 900.

Run yesterday was going pretty well, except I forgot to suicide and had to deal with the tlb. Abject failure followed.

I've got a fair portion of the game routed for scoring with the exception of the second half of levels three and five. Those extra gems are handy on the bosses.

Also started practicing the last boss. That final pattern is pretty rapey.
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Playing a bunch of x.x, I guess. Aegis stages are disturbingly long, everything feels twice as long as BWR. Yes, with wait off. I just want an ok run and the secret characters, man!

Also, this site is pretty cool: http://pcstg.s59.xrea.com/upload/
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
CloudyMusic

Post by CloudyMusic »

wasilewski wrote:Hi guys.

I am currently playing Deathsmiles and Gunbird 2.
Welcome, and cool!

I've been working on DSMBL lately again, along with (re-)learning some parts of Progear with a different ship type.
Jonst

Post by Jonst »

I will Stevens! After my last post, I made it much further into the final fight (another 10 seconds would have done it!) And I beat my previous score by another 6mil. It's pathetic scoring, I just can't keep my chains at max medal value for long... I can see me sticking with it after a basic clear, to work on score then tackle arcade mode again. I can't stop playing it...

Esp 2 BL again eh?... good luck with that final battle! Who's your character?
"Just fire and forget" 1cc List
wasilewski

Post by wasilewski »

Keres wrote:
wasilewski wrote:Hi guys.

I am currently playing Deathsmiles and Gunbird 2.
Welcome, and cool!

I've been working on DSMBL lately again, along with (re-)learning some parts of Progear with a different ship type.

Thanks for the welcome. :).

Progear is awesome! I haven't been playing it so much lately but, now that you have mentioned it, I will have to have play it over the weekend.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Jonst wrote:
Esp 2 BL again eh?... good luck with that final battle! Who's your character?
Last boss isn't too bad, but that final pattern is fucking murderous, playing Ageha.

Going to have to watch some replays, although it sometimes feels like the only way past that final pattern is having a fuck ton of gems.
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
wizkid

Post by wizkid »

i'm getting less embarrassingly bad at ccwi original, almost got 1 trill in st5 practice today, it isn't much for this stage, but a year ago game overing on stage 3 with 200 billion seemed good enough :mrgreen:
Marc

Post by Marc »

Been playing some Salamander. OK up to the 4th boss, that normally manages to steal a life from me (thanks for colouring its bullets the same blue as my options), and that bullet curtain at the end of stage 5 is an ass. Flawed, but fun.

Also some Sonic Wings 2. Really enjoyable, managed the sixth stage so far. Just good, basic fun.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Jonst

Post by Jonst »

Still playing ibara arrange. Despite clearing it a couple of days ago, I absolutely cannot stop playing it! Cleared it tonight with 50mil. I know I can do better as I made some ridiculous mistakes and dropped medals quite a bit. I'll refrain from posting my new high score until I can get higher... absolutely loving it!

Once I'm satisfied I can't score higher, I'll go back to arcade mode. What a massive difference type d makes...
wizkid

Post by wizkid »

I've been playing DDP for couple days, 1st loop isn't hard, so i'm trting to beat it without using save states or credit feeding. To my surprise, doing full runs is more fun, becouse after i grind states, every mistake i make in a full run stings too much.
Jonst

Post by Jonst »

Still working on my score with ibara arrange. I would have smashed my score today, finished stage 5 with 47 mil. I died at the stage 6 mid boss with 53mil, which did beat my clear score, but totally fucked up concentration and threw away 3 lives. Balls. I reckon I could have cleared easily Into the 60's
wgogh

Post by wgogh »

Just realised that I've forgot much about playing Gunbird. Now, learning from the beggining...
KaizaCorp

Post by KaizaCorp »

Now that I have a Brook PS3/PS4 -> PS2 Adapter I've been playing R-Type Final. Only dabbled briefly with other R-Type games on mame/360, but I'm really liking the attachable option mechanic and unlocking the different ships. I'm not getting very far in my runs, but I'm slowly getting the hang of it. I've been using the 'Shooting Star' ship, with it's massive beam attack!
Marc

Post by Marc »

Still Sonic Wings 2. Managing a regular 500,000 and ST6 boss, but seem to have hit the limit of my somewhat basic skills there. I'm using Ninja dude, so ST5 normally ends up being Paris, which always steals a life. ST6 actually seems somewhat easier in comparison once you realise that parking above certain enemies during the sea section stops them from firing, but that boss.... Ouch. Great game though, need to try the others in the series now. Think I've actually got Special on the PS3 as a PS1 download, but I'm guessing that it's a 50hz no high-score saving pile of crap.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
wgogh

Post by wgogh »

Ok, getting the hang of Gunbird. It seems I haven't forgot completly. Using Yuan Nang again, like I did the other time. Still, there are still things I wish I knew about the game, but it seems there's no thread for it in the forum. One of them is if the rank changes are applied at the beggining of each stage, which seems to be the case. Other is the consequences (if any) of bumping into a small enemy.

Seems like you can choose the boss to summon in the stage before the last one. It looks like its random, but based on your position.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

If I recall correctly, in Gunbird, bumping into an enemy, while obviously powering you down, also brings down the rank as well.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

I'm pretty sure the stage 6 boss is simply random, not based on your position like it is in Strikers 1945 and Strikers 1999.

Powering down by bumping into enemies does lower rank, but I never felt like it was worth doing intentionally.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
wgogh

Post by wgogh »

I can assure you that it is not simply random. I've already learned how to summon the skull and more or less for the fish. Yuan Nang staff can be used as a ruler or something for your position.

There are some sections that you can do ot without any problem, since no one shots you. You would miss the chance to shot them down, though. Also, seems like bumping into enemies recharges your power once you recover the [p]. If I remember correctly, someone on this forum told me that. But, yeah, never noticed any difference on the rank, even when I tried bumping into enemies many times on a stage.
I feel that this time I'll eventually get the loop clear. Dont know about 2-ALL, though
wasilewski

Post by wasilewski »

currently playing Batsugun and 1944 Loop Master.
mamboFoxtrot

Post by mamboFoxtrot »

Haven't shmupped in a good while, and randomly felt like doing BWR+ after trying out the Rolling Gunner demo.
Man, I forgot how good this game feels! Am I nuts for liking this a bit more than any of the CAVE games I've played besides Ketsui? :lol:
That said, it's about time I stopped being a wuss and turn the damn Auto-Guard off. Need to try actually trying rather than flying around like an idiot getting greedy for those KYOOBZ :oops: Turned off Wait as well, which might be overkill for my meager skill level, but oh well. Either way, gonna see about getting back on the shmup train with this.
wgogh

Post by wgogh »

Still doing Gunbird after the clear. Since Im not sure about a 2-ALL yet, I have new goals: Higher score and/or No-Miss 1-ALL
LichbannMejolaro

Post by LichbannMejolaro »

Right now, I'm trying to get a 1CC on Touhou Perfect Cherry Blossom on Easy. Can get all the way up to the final stage with 4 or 5 lives, but in the 2 final bosses things are getting really messy and I'm choking hard.

I'm going to practice this stage a lot and see if I can get this 1CC soon enough.

Once I do, I'll definitely keep going for the harder difficulties, I really like this game.
Mantrox

Post by Mantrox »

Moved from Premium Arranhe to Arcade on Garegga.
I'm having a hard time figuring out what and what not to pick up with Miyamoto to make the bosses easier and more predictable.
Eaglet

Post by Eaglet »

The thrid and fourth bosses are pretty predictable with only rank having a real effect.
As for the rest; they're RNG bonanza.
Read the strategy thread and watch the Q&A video on youtube!
moozooh wrote:I think that approach won't get you far in Garegga.
Image Image
Mantrox

Post by Mantrox »

Cheers.
Is there a video besides the weekly shmups episode?
The dude making stupid voices made that one pretty unwatchable.
Mantrox

Post by Mantrox »

Ah, perfect.
Thanks.
Opa Opa

Post by Opa Opa »

I'm attempting to play Tyrian 2000 on a pi3 but it is running a bit sloppily in dosbox. I may try Open Tyrian instead.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

You may want to try it in PCem.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
Square_Air

Post by Square_Air »

I've been fixated on Mars Matrix Arcade lately. I've still yet to pass the stage 4 flying stapler boss, but today I managed to get 74.5 Billion points and 728k exp by stage 4 so I think i'm finally starting to get the hang of scoring. I've got to start working on surviving the later half of the game though since cashing in with that ~1,000,000 exp on the last 2 stages seems like it will be much more valuable point wise than practicing the first half anymore. I suppose it's time to buckle up for this clear.
ImageImageImage
| 1cc | Twitch |