DARIUS BURST CHRONICLE SAVIOURS (STEAM/PS4/Vita)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
DocHauser

Re: DARIUS BURST CHRONICLE SAVIOURS (STEAM/PS4/Vita)

Post by DocHauser »

I don't even know what that is.
Hmm, that's odd. It plays fine for me (it's just a clip of some guy whining at the price tag for the PS4 version).
spmbx

Post by spmbx »

1up wrote:
DJ Incompetent wrote:Pic Request:
PC version outputting to two projectors.
granted

Thats to 2 monitors, not 2 projectors. It looks nasty with the bezels inbetween, reminds me of the nintendo ds games that used both. It's lame imho.

By the way it runs great on vita. AC mode is way too small on it though, as expected really
vector7

Post by vector7 »

CStarFlare wrote:So one thing I was looking forward to in the scrapped HDD dump was an all-zone course. Is there anything similar in this release?

(Blackbird - event mode is a non-thing here, right? Why not replace that menu option with a marathon course?)
Or to give the ability to create your own courses consisting from 1 to all all zones. This way it can also act as practice mode.
Illyrian

Post by Illyrian »

Elaphe wrote:I have already tried the game and my impressions are not very positive. The good things: the game runs without problems, it's butter smooth, responsive, etc. The bad things: technically it could be a PS2 or Dreamcast game, the only interesting graphics are the bosses, the backgrounds are 100% dull, so the game looks like something that has been made by a couple of people in less than a month of work. I would had prefered much improved visuals, something up to the expectations of today's hardware.

While it is true that the quality of the polygons is not that high, for me this game is ALL about atmosphere.

I just 1cc'd the game ending in zone I, and when you are fighting Thousand Knives with 1 life left, lasers firing everywhere and the FUCKING AMAZING soundtrack swelling up in the background the game feels amazing.

I am loving this game as I did in the arcade, but I've got the benefit of running it on a 24 inch and a 23 inch monitor.
www.twitch.tv/illyriangaming
<RegalSin> we are supporting each other on our crotches
1up

Post by 1up »

Illyrian wrote:
Elaphe wrote:I have already tried the game and my impressions are not very positive. The good things: the game runs without problems, it's butter smooth, responsive, etc. The bad things: technically it could be a PS2 or Dreamcast game, the only interesting graphics are the bosses, the backgrounds are 100% dull, so the game looks like something that has been made by a couple of people in less than a month of work. I would had prefered much improved visuals, something up to the expectations of today's hardware.

While it is true that the quality of the polygons is not that high, for me this game is ALL about atmosphere.

I just 1cc'd the game ending in zone I, and when you are fighting Thousand Knives with 1 life left, lasers firing everywhere and the FUCKING AMAZING soundtrack swelling up in the background the game feels amazing.

I am loving this game as I did in the arcade, but I've got the benefit of running it on a 24 inch and a 23 inch monitor.
Yes, fighting a boss with that music is epic!

Some stages do have some setpieces, if it's not enough COD/Michael Bay for some people. First stage is CS mode caught me by surprise when theres orbital lasers striking down all of a sudden. Zone A has a crumbling space station at the start. Zone E, I think it was, has a hyper space portal section that looks pretty cool and the background in Zone B is real pretty. That's what I can think of right now. Haven't tried all the stages yet.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

CStarFlare wrote:So one thing I was looking forward to in the scrapped HDD dump was an all-zone course. Is there anything similar in this release?

(Blackbird - event mode is a non-thing here, right? Why not replace that menu option with a marathon course?)

Or, is it possible to mod it into Chronicle mode?
I have no reason to assume that Event Mode has been neutered, and the all-zone thing was done through event mode. Hopefully they decide to let you pick events through event mode and create one for it.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Observer

Post by Observer »

Well, I'm trying to pick some achievements just for the sake of making some goals but that "clear the worst, hardest route without even being scratched" is disheartening as hell.

Anyway, I saw this one called "Piece Destroyer" which involves destroying all parts of a Castle type boss before the pieces fly away. Is there an efficient way to do this? Not just for the achievement but because I hate those bosses and takes an era to mow them down.

Also, what are the correct positions/spots to counter burst some of the asshats that fire the laser at 45 degrees or odd angles like Lightning Prison or the giant mecha lobster/ebi type of bosses? It seems like I'm never able to position in the right place to trigger the counterburst.

One more! Is Murakumo the ship that lets you counter the boss laser with your own without the precise positioning?
NOW REACHES THE FATAL ATTRACTION BE DESCRIBED AS "HELLSINKER". DECIDE DESTINATION.
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

StoofooEsq wrote:
Obscura wrote:Am I the only fan of Assault? Feels like the easiest ship to get the hang of by far, I'm doing a lot better with it than any of the others..
I like Assault. It's a very capable ship when you're willing to work with how different it plays. Spark Burst is good at covering one specific area, but the real draw is its Burst Finish, which does some rather high, understated damage. Try quickly deploying the SB and using the Burst Finish on bosses and watch how fast some of them drop.
It seems like you can't really just spam the explosion on bosses, though, since it won't detonate if you didn't put the spark out there with at least half of a meter? I've never been able to get more than two fast explosions in a row.
1-up wrote:Zone I is really hard for me. Those gunturret wheels of doom messes me up so bad. I found that BFJ is pretty easy. Zone B is not that hard and Zone F is REALLY short with huge swarms at the end that drop a lot of powerups. Hungry Gluttons is an asshole though... so I haven't cleared it yet.
Yeah, the level hurt me bad (I went from having not died to being on my last life by the time I reached the boss -- not helped by that being my first time seeing the stage), but Thousand Knives is a complete wimp.

Also, once you get used to the aspect ratio, AC mode is a blast. Dunno if I think it tops Strania for best shmup release of the year, but it is quite good. I still wish I had a dual monitor setup. CS mode isn't doing it for me at all right now, though.
qmish

Post by qmish »

Yes, fighting a boss with that music is epic!
Do you know name of track or it wasnt in AC/ACEX?
1up

Post by 1up »

I don't have a dual monitor setup but playing AC mode right in front of my 55" LG LED is a blast :lol:
Jelloman581

Post by Jelloman581 »

Let's get your 55" and my 55" together and make beautiful Burst together :lol: :lol:
1up wrote:I don't have a dual monitor setup but playing AC mode right in front of my 55" LG LED is a blast :lol:
lettuce

Post by lettuce »

Would those superwide (3440 x 1440) 34" monitors be able to fit the game in full aspect ratio mode?
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

Downloading the PS4 game right now!
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Would those superwide (3440 x 1440) 34" monitors be able to fit the game in full aspect ratio mode?
Not the arcade mode. These monitors are 21:9. AC mode is 32:9, so no.
Steelix100

Post by Steelix100 »

Observer wrote:Well, I'm trying to pick some achievements just for the sake of making some goals but that "clear the worst, hardest route without even being scratched" is disheartening as hell.

Anyway, I saw this one called "Piece Destroyer" which involves destroying all parts of a Castle type boss before the pieces fly away. Is there an efficient way to do this? Not just for the achievement but because I hate those bosses and takes an era to mow them down.

Also, what are the correct positions/spots to counter burst some of the asshats that fire the laser at 45 degrees or odd angles like Lightning Prison or the giant mecha lobster/ebi type of bosses? It seems like I'm never able to position in the right place to trigger the counterburst.

One more! Is Murakumo the ship that lets you counter the boss laser with your own without the precise positioning?
Piece destroyer: I literally just got Piece Destroyer last night with Gaiden, so I more or less know how to do it. The idea is to go easy on the castle, and try to destroy as few pieces as possible, but do as much damage to them as possible, while also avoiding hitting the pufferfish as much as possible. Then destroy all the pieces in one go. You also have to make sure that you wait until it does that one attack where it flips to its side and shows that one normally unhittable piece and destroy it then. If you just want to take a Castle down fast, I'd recommend ignoring all the pieces and just going straight for the core.

Lightning Prison, I think you can just point blank him to counter. For the other ones, you can just do the cut-in method like with any other boss when they laser gets close enough.

As for Murakumo, well, yes? You can also do that with Genesis. Murakumo and Genesis are pretty similar, actually.
Casual shmup player
brentsg

Post by brentsg »

Fudoh wrote:
Not the arcade mode. These monitors are 21:9. AC mode is 32:9, so no.
It doesn't handle it particularly well either. If you put it into full screen mode and select 3440x1440, you'll get black borders on all sides of the play area. That's pretty stupid.
Breaking news: Dodonpachi Developer Cave Releases Hello Kitty Game
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

If you put it into full screen mode and select 3440x1440, you'll get black borders on all sides of the play area. That's pretty stupid.
ok, well, that's a bug though and I'm sure they'll work it out.
Blattdorf

Post by Blattdorf »

Is it just me or is it impossible to leave the control options screen without force-closing the game?

The UI in terms of controls is a bit unclear here and there. The boxes with explanations could also have been formatted a bit better.

But these are just nitpicks. I'm enjoying the game immensely. The price is more than fair for the amount of content on offer.
Steelix100

Post by Steelix100 »

Ship tier list, anyone? :lol:

S Tier
Murakumo
Next
Genesis
Assault

A Tier
Legend

A- Tier
Gaiden
Formula
2nd

D Tier
Origin

(Personal opinion thus far)

The idea of a ship tier list amuses me and I figured DBCS has enough ships to warrant a tier list :V
What're y'alls thoughts
Casual shmup player
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

Blattdorf wrote:Is it just me or is it impossible to leave the control options screen without force-closing the game?

The UI in terms of controls is a bit unclear here and there. The boxes with explanations could also have been formatted a bit better.

But these are just nitpicks. I'm enjoying the game immensely. The price is more than fair for the amount of content on offer.
Do you have any external controllers plugged in? I had an issue where when I left my X360 controller plugged in and went into that menu (or the high score screens in AC mode) I just could not get out. It went away when I unplugged the controller.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

It kind of irks me that you can still get a high score even if you use continues, at least in Chronicles Mode (haven't tried AC, and I don't think there are continues in CS mode). I've started to try to go through stuff without using continues because that 9 bothers me.

Also, are you supposed to only be able to see Chronicles mode high scores if you've cleared the area yourself?
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

Steelix100 wrote:Ship tier list, anyone? :lol:

S Tier
Murakumo
Next
Genesis
Assault

A Tier
Legend

A- Tier
Gaiden
Formula
2nd

D Tier
Origin

The idea of a ship tier list amuses me and I figured DBCS has enough ships to warrant a tier list :V
What're y'alls thoughts
Gaiden deserves higher, since Gaiden does not have a limit to how many bullets can be on screen, which is REALLY great for AC mode, and homing missiles that once upgraded are actually worth a damn.
And I'm fairly sure that the Black Hole Bomb has the highest score multiplier aside from maybe the Spark Burst Finish.

And Genesis is peanuts compared to how OP Murakumo is. Murakumo has 4 options instead of two, which doesn't only mean additional power and protection from enemy bullets, it also means that if one is destroyed, you only lose 25% of your Burst Gauge, as opposed to the 50% when you lose a Genesis option. Murakumo also doesn't require the Burst Gauge to be full in order to Burst as opposed to Genesis, and Murakumo also has a Burst Finish on its standard Burst for higher score multipliers and area damage.
AND, Murakumo's options can change its weapon types from missiles, to lasers, to waves, so you can cancel other bullets than just missiles with the Genesis.
Murakumo is just so insanely overpowered.
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Durandal wrote:And I'm fairly sure that the Black Hole Bomb has the highest score multiplier aside from maybe the Spark Burst Finish.
Genesis - Fourfold Counter: x119 (x17 * 7)
Assault - Spark Burst: x112 (x16 * 7)
Gaiden - Black Hole Bomb: x96 (x24 * 4)
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

Icarus wrote:
Durandal wrote:And I'm fairly sure that the Black Hole Bomb has the highest score multiplier aside from maybe the Spark Burst Finish.
Genesis - Fourfold Counter: x119 (x17 * 7)
Assault - Spark Burst: x112 (x16 * 7)
Gaiden - Black Hole Bomb: x96 (x24 * 4)
I guess I'll be using Genesis for all bosses who fire multiple Bursts, then.
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
IDruggedShamu

Post by IDruggedShamu »

Shepardus wrote:It kind of irks me that you can still get a high score even if you use continues, at least in Chronicles Mode (haven't tried AC, and I don't think there are continues in CS mode). I've started to try to go through stuff without using continues because that 9 bothers me.

Also, are you supposed to only be able to see Chronicles mode high scores if you've cleared the area yourself?
I had a post about this a few pages back. At least using a continue seems to reset your multiplier, so you definitely don't benefit from it, from a scoring perspective. This also applies to AC mode.

Not sure what you're playing on, but on PS4, you press triangle when selecting a Chronicle Mode stage to update the scoring. You have to hit triangle to refresh every stage you select. It's annoying. But that lets you see who holds the world record and 1st cabinet clear. I found this out combing the manual for info on the scoring mechanic when using a continue (which is still not explained.)
Steelix100

Post by Steelix100 »

Durandal wrote:
Steelix100 wrote:Ship tier list, anyone? :lol:

S+ Tier
Murakumo

S Tier
Next
Genesis
Assault

A Tier
Legend
Gaiden

A- Tier
Formula
2nd

D Tier
Origin

What're y'alls thoughts
Gaiden deserves higher, since Gaiden does not have a limit to how many bullets can be on screen, which is REALLY great for AC mode, and homing missiles that once upgraded are actually worth a damn.
And I'm fairly sure that the Black Hole Bomb has the highest score multiplier aside from maybe the Spark Burst Finish.

And Genesis is peanuts compared to how OP Murakumo is. Murakumo has 4 options instead of two, which doesn't only mean additional power and protection from enemy bullets, it also means that if one is destroyed, you only lose 25% of your Burst Gauge, as opposed to the 50% when you lose a Genesis option. Murakumo also doesn't require the Burst Gauge to be full in order to Burst as opposed to Genesis, and Murakumo also has a Burst Finish on its standard Burst for higher score multipliers and area damage.
AND, Murakumo's options can change its weapon types from missiles, to lasers, to waves, so you can cancel other bullets than just missiles with the Genesis.
Murakumo is just so insanely overpowered.
You sure do bring up some very valid points. Funny how all 3 ships you mentioned were the ones I was most unsure about =w=
The main reason why I rated Gaiden a little bit lower was because of just how damn useful it is to have a fixed burst, which it obviously does not have.
Murakumo I just haven't used a lot. But also its Burst is quite weak (although the burst finish makes up for it quite well) and the Burst itself seems to recharge itself slower (which is also made up for with the finish :V), so I wasn't sure if it was really as OP as everyone thought.

Also, A- tier was going to be B tier, but I think the ships I put there are good enough to be rated a little higher.
Casual shmup player
system11

Post by system11 »

Found an annoying bug. I can't counter properly, I just don't know how without the Genesis ship. So I watched the game in attract for ages waiting for an explanation.

Eventually I got the demo section which is supposed to explain it, but:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAkUNlDZWbY

It gets truncated. Coupled with no 'how to play' or similar at the top menu and it's hard to find out as a new player what you're supposed to do in this game, they really should have put something in or fixed the demos.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

IDruggedShamu wrote:Not sure what you're playing on, but on PS4, you press triangle when selecting a Chronicle Mode stage to update the scoring. You have to hit triangle to refresh every stage you select. It's annoying. But that lets you see who holds the world record and 1st cabinet clear. I found this out combing the manual for info on the scoring mechanic when using a continue (which is still not explained.)
Interesting, I'm playing on PC and haven't found any button on keyboard that does this. What does the triangle button do in-game?

Also, dying (whether it's your last life and you use a continue or not) resets your multiplier, and taking a shield hit reduces multiplier by 1.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
mamboFoxtrot

Post by mamboFoxtrot »

CStarFlare wrote:
Blattdorf wrote:Is it just me or is it impossible to leave the control options screen without force-closing the game?
Do you have any external controllers plugged in? I had an issue where when I left my X360 controller plugged in and went into that menu (or the high score screens in AC mode) I just could not get out. It went away when I unplugged the controller.
Yeah, basically when configuring from the main options menu, every available player, including keyboard, has to select "confirm". My PS2 USB adapter has two controller ports, so I had to unplug it from one port and in to the other to select "confirm" with it. This isn't an issue when configuring from the in-game pause menu, though.
It also seems like the different ships each save their own mapping preferences, but I might be wrong on that.
Shepardus wrote:
IDruggedShamu wrote:Not sure what you're playing on, but on PS4, you press triangle when selecting a Chronicle Mode stage to update the scoring. You have to hit triangle to refresh every stage you select. It's annoying. But that lets you see who holds the world record and 1st cabinet clear. I found this out combing the manual for info on the scoring mechanic when using a continue (which is still not explained.)
Interesting, I'm playing on PC and haven't found any button on keyboard that does this.
On PC it' should be the Shift key for keyboard, and for joystick it's whatever button on your controller is considered #4, and not related to whatever you've mapped anything to. I don't know why more PC games don't let you configure the menu controls - it's always a weird time for me when using my PS2 controller.
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

Found G.T.B. in CS mode: https://youtu.be/_0TcgiTJ2vc?t=29m50s
Gigantic Bite is still a lot harder so confirmed for toughest fish™
Last edited by Zaarock on Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.