What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
copy-paster

Re: What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Post by copy-paster »

Metal Gear Solid on PSX

i dying alot in the Tower A and B level because too many enemies from top and down ladder and i only get fewer bullets to take them down......
juonryu2nd

Post by juonryu2nd »

Zone of the Enders 1, got it in the Golden Week sale yesterday. I like it.
dink

Post by dink »

Bare Knuckle II (Jpn version of Streets of Rage II) - 2 player netgame with my good friend Zazzone. good times!
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Blasting away at people in TF2 (Valve pub servers). Anybody else play?
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

Shepardus wrote:Blasting away at people in TF2 (Valve pub servers). Anybody else play?
used to play a lot but it took too much time
plus it got kinda boring
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

I'd love to play TF2 with friends sometime. IMO the game is only fun if you have a small team of friends vs another small team of friends.

Still playing Fire Emblem: Awakening. Pretty much the Ikaruga of FE, in how casuals reacted to it, and then how hardcore fans reacted to casuals reacting to it. It's still a good game though, much like Ikaruga.

As previously mentioned, also dickering about with Castlevania: Rondo of Blood. Figure it won't take more than a few play sessions to 1cc or 1lc this game, though might be a week or two before I have time to really sit down with a game like that again. Also very fun despite the relative easiness (compared to some of the other games in the series, at any rate).
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
broken harbour

Post by broken harbour »

Bought a Wii-U over the weekend, playing Super Mario 3D World... it's brilliant, it might even dethrone Yoshi's Island as my favorite Mario game of all time. The only thing I could say about it is that I'm having a hard time judging depth for certain jumps... but I had that problem with Mario Galaxy as well.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Squire Grooktook wrote:I'd love to play TF2 with friends sometime. IMO the game is only fun if you have a small team of friends vs another small team of friends.
I disagree. Thunder Force II is a 1 player game and plays great that way, though the side scrolling stages are more fun than the overhead ones. ;)
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Team Fortress 2, on the other hand...
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

null1024

Post by null1024 »

Sonic 4: Episode I [Steam].
why is it so bad
The level design is reminiscent of the worse bits of the Advance and Rush series. The physics are bad, but we knew that [it's blatantly based on Rush's engine -- except somehow worse, and Rush wasn't ever known for its quality physics]. But they're bad enough to get in the way of things.
The developers clearly realized that lives didn't mean shit, so there's a three digit counter, and you will probably have hundreds of lives by the end of the game.
The graphics... are kind of shit. Everything looks like it's been dipped in polyurethane.

The music is lazy shit. Even ignoring the awful FM patches, it's melodically bland. It's as uninspired as it gets.
The special stages... are okay. You're literally playing Cameltry, and that's fine.
It's the most mediocre thing I've seen from Sega. Not bad enough to be the worst thing I've played, but not good enough to be kind of enjoyable.

I had this in my library because I got that huge-ass Sonic Collection during a Steam sale, so I installed it.
bleh
I'm still going to beat it, all emeralds and whatever. And then I'll do Episode II, which is supposed to be better. It's better looking, at the absolute least.

and then I've been playing a better game, Jet Set Radio [Steam].
I just started the Grind City part. I have no idea how to get to that one blue board I have to tag near the gas station. I'd gotten everything else, and then timed out trying to reach it. Shit's driving me nuts.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Been playing the original Boktai in park nowadays. Some of it evokes the memories of MGS VR missions.
Still too soon for me to pass any synthetic judgement on it, but it's difficult to judge by the usual standards. Designed to lure you(r kids) outside, it comes as nearly didactic. At the very least it makes me wanna try Ghost Babel (no wonder MGS franchise enjoyed some success on PSP, too).

I can already tell it's not QUITE what I like about dungeon crawling best, but then again - I can't be sure if what I DO like would make for a great handheld game (I've yet to try Etrian Odyssey).
It has to be said Boktai, when picked up after a long break, doesn't render me disoriented the way TLoZ: Oracle of Ages can, brilliant as the latter is.
The way out is cut off

null1024

Post by null1024 »

Ys Origin [Steam].
forgot I had this game, heh

Not too terribly far in. Currently at the third statue of Underwater Prison. Got to the next one [there's probably a boss fight right after it], but had to warp back or die from the enemies guarding it.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
CaptainBadAss

Post by CaptainBadAss »

I'm trying to learn Raystorm (PS2) and Sidearms (TG16) but I'm a bit slow at learning so when I get frustrated, I've been playing Earthbound Uncut (SNES) and Mario and Luigi Dream Team (3DS).
Gespenst

Post by Gespenst »

Finally managed to 100% everything at Gundam Assault Survive after a week of grinding.

More like "Gundam Grinding Simulator" but still somewhat worth a shot if you don't care about lengthy grinding.
Pretas
Banned User

Post by Pretas »

Gespenst wrote:Finally managed to 100% everything at Gundam Assault Survive after a week of grinding.

More like "Gundam Grinding Simulator" but still somewhat worth a shot if you don't care about lengthy grinding.
Assault Survive is a terrible game and the worst PSP Gundam action sim by far. Even the Japanese diehards hated it. Get Battle Robot Damashii, which arrived very late in the PSP's active lifespan and sailed under everyone's radar. Too bad, because it's the best PSP mecha game aside from the Armored Core ports, which are crippled by the reduced controls anyhow. It does have its own share of stat grinding, but it's nowhere near as annoying, time-consuming or mandatory.

I still kind of want to try Carnage Heart EXA; it got a latecomer English PSN release from Natsume. Apparently it was well received by real-life robotics hobbyists and researchers in Japan. I never warmed up too much to the AI development modes in Armored Core though, and AI building is the entire focus of the Carnage series.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

King's Bounty: The Legend can be insanely time-consuming. Seriously, don't even begin playin' it if you need to wake up early next morning.
Must have been play-tested 'till the cows had come home. You'd think a game this long, complex and forgiving at the start would eventually fall apart, unfolding some dirty exploit, but it's yet to happen here (I think over 100 hours now, and counting).
Here I am just getting the hang of exploiting Giants... when the only shop selling them known to me is nearly out of Giants. So I had better savour the three I've kept.

A big mystery to me is: why hasn't in been ported to consoles. Well, not so much THIS particular game as hardly any non-Japanese turn-based tactics game seems to be on consoles. I can't think of any other than Heroes of Might and Magic: Quest for the Dragon Bone Staff (now that's a title!) for PS2 at the moment (although I suppose DS got some as well). Was it really a remake of the first King's Bounty?
The way out is cut off

copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Finally I beat Chess Titans (Windows) on difficulty Level 9 ....
LOL :lol:
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Obiwanshinobi wrote:King's Bounty: The Legend can be insanely time-consuming. Seriously, don't even begin playin' it if you need to wake up early next morning.
Must have been play-tested 'till the cows had come home. You'd think a game this long, complex and forgiving at the start would eventually fall apart, unfolding some dirty exploit, but it's yet to happen here (I think over 100 hours now, and counting).
I think you had a lucky roll of the dice when the RNG created your random selection of units and equipment because The Legend is the least balanced of the series, though it has the best plot.

Armored Princess: Crossworlds is the peak of the series in terms of pure gameplay (but not plot) and in that one just about every unit has some sort of major secondary or passive skill that can lead to huge advantages when paired with the proper items and spells.

Sadly from Warriors of the North on they realized their cash cow would spin money regardless of any polish or lack-of.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Chaos Phoenixma

Post by Chaos Phoenixma »

The rooms with the statues are checkpoints, so even if you die trying to clear the enemies out, you'll restart in that room with what you had when you enter it.

Ys Origin and Oath in Felgahana are extremely fun especially on the harder modes. Napishtim also plays a bit similarly, though I don't own that one yet. The changes to Napishtim for the Steam version definitely sound good since addition of warping to saves is definitely nice and Catastrophe mode removing the healing items sounds great, I'd definitely go Nightmare Catastrophe on the first run since all my blind runs so far have always been Nightmare(Origin, Oath, and Seven), though I would have picked Inferno for Oath if it were possible.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

KURWA

Ace Combat 2 is a bitch. Not sure why, but clearing the very first mission ("Gambit") have driven me up the wall. Namcollection version here, that I assume to be effectively the same as the original PSX print, except you need a DVD drive and a PS2 memory card now. You know, to store your progress.
The way out is cut off

Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

I just cleared a small galaxy in Sword of the Stars 1 Complete.

Really underrated 4X game. I don't think they made enough fuss over the realistic combat engine in this game. Instead of the ships being a collection of abstract stats, they and the projectiles they fire are rendered as 3D objects, and the angle at which they intersect can determine whether the shot makes a solid hit or just ricochets. My last game I played as the Tarkas specializing in solid round weapons and had a grand old time splattering clouds of enemy destroyers with exploding shrapnel burst rounds.

Such a pity SOTS 2 ended up being such a mess. Now all they make are Roguelikes.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Mahou Shoujo Nanoha A's Portable: The Gears of Destiny [PSP].

Neato little fighting game full of Nanoha characters. Somewhat odd mechanics [it works an awful lot like what we've seen of Pokken, but simpler]. Lots of story dialogue that I can't understand yet, all voiced.
Fairly fun.
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

Been spending quite a bit of time on The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth lately. I'm not sure I can put it firmly in the category of either a roguelike or an arena shooter since I don't think it does either of these particularly well, but the sheer variety of different pickups and powers makes for an interesting,highly varied experience. Which brings up the game's biggest pitfall: When it all boils down, how well any one particular session goes is highly dependent on RNG. Sometimes you'll spend hours slogging through mediocre builds (and silly things like the game giving you zero keys for three floors in a row) trying to get something doing before you get a run where you're so comically overpowered that you faceroll everything in sight, often up to and often including the final bosses. In spite of the shortcomings it can still be quite entertaining, although even now I'm not a big fan of the art style.
We want you, save our planet!
Xbox Live: Vexorg | The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0
iconoclast

Post by iconoclast »

The Last of Us Remastered

Fully completed this last night (ie. platinum + Grounded mode + Left Behind + multiplayer DLC). I'll admit, I went into this with a cynical mindset. Uncharted 2 had a 99.9 metacritic and it received 8000000 GOTY awards and had everyone calling it the bestest game of all time, but I thought it was mediocre at best. I was expecting to feel the same way about TLOU, but it's actually a good game. The only problem is that I've already played The Evil Within, which uses the same "resource management TPS" idea but executes literally everything better (mechanics, enemy variety, level design, bosses, weapons, upgrades, less forced cutscenes/story, no simplistic and repetitive puzzles - I'm not exaggerating when I say everything). That's not really a knock against TLOU; it still has really impressive production values with tons of attention to detail and a far better story than TEW, but as a game, it's just really good. Not great.

And I want to add that the highest difficulty, Grounded mode, is awful. It makes resources extremely scarce, which may sound like a fun challenge, but all it really does is change the game from a good TPS to a sub-par stealth game, since you want to avoid or strangle as many enemies as possible to conserve ammo. Might as well be playing Metal Gear instead since it's way better.
Squire Grooktook

Vexorg wrote:Been spending quite a bit of time on The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth lately. I'm not sure I can put it firmly in the category of either a roguelike or an arena shooter since I don't think it does either of these particularly well, but the sheer variety of different pickups and powers makes for an interesting,highly varied experience. Which brings up the game's biggest pitfall: When it all boils down, how well any one particular session goes is highly dependent on RNG. Sometimes you'll spend hours slogging through mediocre builds (and silly things like the game giving you zero keys for three floors in a row) trying to get something doing before you get a run where you're so comically overpowered that you faceroll everything in sight, often up to and often including the final bosses. In spite of the shortcomings it can still be quite entertaining, although even now I'm not a big fan of the art style.
Only played the original Isaac, but this pretty much nails it. It's a mediocre arena shooter combined with a mediocre rogue like that manages to be a solid game together...or at least is solid when the horribly unbalanced item drops aren't making 90% of your games into over powered steam rolls.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
MOSQUITO FIGHTER

Post by MOSQUITO FIGHTER »

Just checked out the Skullgirls demo. This game totally flew off my radar somehow. I'm impressed with it so far. Will be getting the full version as soon as possible. Does it have a pretty active online community on 360?
broken harbour

Post by broken harbour »

Got to the end of World 5 in Super Mario 3D world... difficulty spikes right around here.. game gets borderline frustrating in areas, though its not impossible by any means, does the typical Nintendo-cheapness-difficulty where it does stuff like change camera angles mid-jump. Control is slippery in places too, I always see reviews of Mario games saying the control is 'perfect' but I've always had issues with the 3D Mario games, Galaxy 2 was close to perfect, but this feels like a bit of a step down, I've borked a few jumps and gotten hit by enemies I swear I jumped on. Oh well, still fun, just a bit frustrating. This is also the first Mario game where they actually save all your 1ups when you save your game, meaning that if I had 35 lives when I turned it off, I don't come back to 5 lives... that drove me nuts in the Galaxy games, especially near the end where I died alot.

Mario Kart 8

This is almost the best Mario Kart ever. Seriously miles ahead of MKWii, and nearly reaches the level of MK64, in fact, the only thing that sucks is that the battle mode just takes place on the existing tracks, and not in specific battle arena's... this has to be fixed in a patch Nintendo, c'mon! Otherwise it's gorgeous, runs smooth, control is perfect, the tracks are bonkers, difficulty curve is just right... 200cc mode is insane, I love it! The only thing that lets it down is battle mode.... to this day friends come over and 4 of us play MK64's battle mode on the Donut Arena for hours and have a hoot, if Nintendo fixed this I don't think I'd ever go back to MK64.
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

Pokemon Alpha Sapphire - I've played this quite a bit since it came out. The pacing is terrific. Always someone at every turn ready to challenge you. Last night was the first time that I felt pretty lost about where to go next. It's all pretty intuitive and some of the areas are attractive for a 3DS game. Highly recommended.
Squire Grooktook

MOSQUITO FIGHTER wrote:Just checked out the Skullgirls demo. This game totally flew off my radar somehow. I'm impressed with it so far. Will be getting the full version as soon as possible. Does it have a pretty active online community on 360?
It's really the only fighting games, besides maybe Kof13 and to a lesser extent Uniel, in the post sf4 era that I really genuinely love and feel is a great game. It captures the feel and fundamentals of the older, classic fighters better than any of its contemporaries IMO.

I mostly play it on Steam these days, so I don't know about the 360 or ps3 communities. You could look into it on the official forum (the lead programmer and designer actually posts there frequently too).
Last edited by Squire Grooktook on Tue May 12, 2015 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Chaos Phoenixma

Post by Chaos Phoenixma »

Finished Star Ocean 4 again. Universe difficulty PS3 version, so I now have Chaos unlocked for it. Got every ending on this run except for Arumat's(who I pretty much ignored) and Faize's(was pretty sure I had gotten all 8 required PAs), but I had all the ending trophies except for Reimi and Crowe from my Galaxy mode run, so I can at least ignore PAs in any later runs.

I pretty much rushed through the mode, so somewhere between 12-13 hours I think for playtime. Wasn't planning to do postgame stuff on this file though. Time for Chaos mode + Chaos mode postgame with a guide so that I make sure I miss nothing this time around. I did postgame on Galaxy on the 360 and was going to do it on Chaos there, but never finished it. Did postgame through Gabe but never finished Wandering Dungeon on PS3 for Galaxy.