Little things that annoy the hell out of you

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
atheistgod1999
Banned User

Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you

Post by atheistgod1999 »

Durandal wrote:
Skykid wrote:Advertisement Captchas! Holy shit, what is the world coming to? :evil:
Somewhere in our hearts, we all knew this would happen.
Xyga wrote:It's really awesome how quash never gets tired of hammering the same stupid shit over and over and you guys don't suspect for second that he's actually paid for this.
Lord Satori

Post by Lord Satori »

For whatever reason, my Chrome (at least I THINK it's Chrome's fault, idk) is omitting the first character I type when I click back into a textbox from a different window
BryanM wrote:You're trapped in a haunted house. There's a ghost. It wants to eat your friends and have sex with your cat. When forced to decide between the lives of your friends and the chastity of your kitty, you choose the cat.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Losing things that you just bought.
I found it, but I looked for like two hours, went to bed, woke up the next day, looked again, and eventually found it [thankfully for my pride, it wasn't somewhere obvious].
atheistgod1999 wrote:
Durandal wrote:
Skykid wrote:Advertisement Captchas! Holy shit, what is the world coming to? :evil:
http://cdn.slashgear.com/wp-content/upl ... 80x472.jpg
Somewhere in our hearts, we all knew this would happen.
https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=htt ... ne.png&f=1
That post isn't prophetic. It's a reflection of the times. :cry:

man, I'm so glad Adblock blocks the worst of ad captchas [it forces the fallback mode so you don't have to watch the ad, but you still have to type shit like "I'm lovin' it"]
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

IM LOVIN IT is an anagram for AILING VOMIT.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Christ, how long has that been a thing? adblock fo lyf
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
PAPER/ARTILLERY

Post by PAPER/ARTILLERY »

Accidentally buying the same thing twice. Yes I realise this is retarded. I bought a camera tripod a few weeks ago and apparently forgot about it, then bought another one. Just to rub it in, they both arrived on the same day.

Would anyone like a camera tripod?
Last edited by PAPER/ARTILLERY on Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Freedom Is Not Defined By Safety

mamboFoxtrot

Post by mamboFoxtrot »

While we're on it, buying something and then finding out you could've gotten it for way cheaper elsewhere.

Never, ever, ever forget to price check!
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Earbuds that come in a little neat case, but once you take them out they're next to impossible to get back in.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
system11

Post by system11 »

Having to fight people bitterly on yahoo auctions over a Mahjong PCB.

What is the world coming to?
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Blinge wrote:Christ, how long has that been a thing? adblock fo lyf
Adblock doesn't work! Cos you need to enter the captcha to pass, so by clicking it you automatically play the ad, wait for it to end, and then get the captcha code. It's horrible.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Oh man, is this a step in the arms a race against adblock then? What sites is this stuff on, I've never seen it.

What annoys me atm are beat 'em ups, specifically Golden Axe II and how I suck BALLS at it
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Mischief Maker wrote:IM LOVIN IT is an anagram for AILING VOMIT.
Maddox?

:D
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

Blinge wrote:What annoys me atm are beat 'em ups, specifically Golden Axe II and how I suck BALLS at it
This might help.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
wgogh

Post by wgogh »

WelshMegalodon wrote:
Blinge wrote:What annoys me atm are beat 'em ups, specifically Golden Axe II and how I suck BALLS at it
This might help.
Thank you! I need this as well
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Mischief Maker wrote:IM LOVIN IT is an anagram for AILING VOMIT.
qft

You know, I wish doctors didn't blow me off years ago when I was like "man this diet isn't working out"

Getting on top of that now, at least, thanks to a couple well-placed diagnosis (but still, at least half of the treatment comes down to me looking online at lifestyle changes, rather than following a plan a doctor gives). On the plus side, I'm happier to be dealing with this now rather than years ago in the pre-Internet age.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

WelshMegalodon wrote:
This might help.
Ah I forgot about that thread, cheers.
Gonna give SoR2 some more time. Anyone suggest the easiest character to clear with ?
wgogh

Post by wgogh »

Blinge wrote:
WelshMegalodon wrote:
This might help.
Ah I forgot about that thread, cheers.
Gonna give SoR2 some more time. Anyone suggest the easiest character to clear with ?
Probably Blaze.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Every radio station that I can get at work should be called "Justin Bieber FM"
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
atheistgod1999
Banned User

Post by atheistgod1999 »

I know I post in this thread way too much, but I have something I kinda need advice on:

I just got The Fellowship of the Ring, only to find out upon turning to the contents page that the text has been revised from the original release. Should I read it or not? I'm afraid to look it up myself because I'm afraid I'll get spoilers.
Xyga wrote:It's really awesome how quash never gets tired of hammering the same stupid shit over and over and you guys don't suspect for second that he's actually paid for this.
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

Sure, unless you got an abridged copy. On checking wikipedia and the One Wiki To Rule Them All neither entry for the book notes any significant changes between editions of the book which I assume the LOTR fandom would certainly document on relevant wiki pages.

Which edition do you have? It's maybe worth checking the Amazon page for reviews to see if any of them contain any mention of revision. (though these might contain spoilers)
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Remember to read "The Hobbit" before LOTR.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
atheistgod1999
Banned User

Post by atheistgod1999 »

Mischief Maker wrote:Remember to read "The Hobbit" before LOTR.
Wait, that came out before LOTR? Weird. Guess I should read that, then. Thought it was the other way around due to the order the movies (which I haven't seen) were released. Thought it was like the Star Wars prequels.

Looks like I need to go back to the bookstore.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

The Hobbit movies are an abomination. It's a single fairly short novel meant for a younger audience. One film would have been plenty.

The Lord of the Rings, on the other hand, is massive to the point that even three films is cutting it a little short. The only other story I can think of with world-building of similar ambition is Dune, and nobody has been able to adapt that one successfully. (Oh but they tried. They tried.)

Public Service announcement: Stay away from Dune's sequels and spin-offs.

Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Yes, The Hobbit was published some 15-20 years before The Lord of the Rings (which was conceived as a sequel to The Hobbit). As Mischief Maker said, it's short and lighthearted compared to the darker tone and grand scale of The Lord of the Rings. I haven't watched The Hobbit films but I can't imagine anything good came out of stretching that book into three movies. The book itself is a good read though.

Since you're worried about spoilers, I take it you haven't seen the LotR film trilogy? Those are great, definitely worth watching when you get the chance.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

No Man's Sky being delayed until August.

I haven't been this hyped for an upcoming game since Phantasy Star 4.

That 60s pulp sci fi novel cover aesthetic, I must play that game!

Lord Satori

Post by Lord Satori »

Twitch communities. Mainly the inconsistency and general hypocrisy that you find in many of the channels. (mostly the ones without a Nightbot or Moobot)

"You can't say what time it is in your zone because that's spam, but I'll ask the chat what I should get on my pizza causing actual spam so the mods can set it to sub mode for 30 minutes longer than they need to."

"You can't spam too many emotes in a row, but never mind if you're a sub spamming our own emotes because that isn't disruptive at all."

"Caps aren't allowed, but only sometimes. We'll never make it clear when it's okay and when it's not."

"No backseating because fuck helpful advice."

"Oh by the way, mods can do and say whatever the hell they want. Even stuff that you'd get banned for."

"In multiplayer games, I can hurl insults at the other players regardless of whether or not they can hear me, but the moment you criticize me, it's an INSTABAN."

I won't name any specific channels, but I'm sure some of you have seen a few of these. I'm glad I've found a few communities that are generally good all around.
BryanM wrote:You're trapped in a haunted house. There's a ghost. It wants to eat your friends and have sex with your cat. When forced to decide between the lives of your friends and the chastity of your kitty, you choose the cat.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

You're stepping into individual, mostly attention seeking gamers' echo chambers man what do you expect?

I've seen Lobosjr's stuff before on youtube, no backseating seems like a decent rule. The opposite is fucks like DSP having everything spelled out for them.

There's something about the twitch cults of personality I don't care for. Can't quite place my finger on it. It's probably the passiveness of the viewer experience. I imagine if I spent time interacting and participating in this social ritual I'd have similar frustrations to satori-kun.

There's also the problem of trying to talk to the streamer/get an idea across and being ignored or simply unnoticed. That'd piss me off. I'm very important.
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
atheistgod1999
Banned User

Post by atheistgod1999 »

You're doing Twitch wrong, Lord Satori. All you're supposed to do is get 4chan to raid the streamers.
S_Fang

Post by S_Fang »

Mischief Maker wrote:No Man's Sky being delayed until August.

I haven't been this hyped for an upcoming game since Phantasy Star 4.

That 60s pulp sci fi novel cover aesthetic, I must play that game!
Blame Sky for sueing the company for the same(?) name if they slowed down. I wanted to play the game, too.

Speaking of 4chan, despite I find their not mincing words a fresh and honest thing, most of the time they're just abrasive pricks for no reason (it must be their trademark).
One time, I wrote that I didn't like a certain fetish and people started to crap on me because I'm a "normie" and whatever, because a different opinion is very dangerous and I have the power to control an army of specter that could destroy a nation if I would.
Bullcrap, I say!