Little things that annoy the hell out of you

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Shepardus

Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you

Post by Shepardus »

I don't mean to imply that all or even most liberals are that obnoxious SJW stereotype; I myself lean left in some areas (I would describe myself as more of a libertarian than a conservative though I haven't given much thought to either label). The current GOP and much of its contingency deserve plenty of criticism. It just annoys and disappoints me when that's used as an excuse to dismiss whatever positives may happen to be associated with the label. I'm sure it'd be the same situation but reversed if I were a hardcore liberal in the American South. People in any argument, political or not, tend to go for the lowest-hanging fruit presented by the other side, regardless of how relevant it is to the big picture. So instead of people paying attention to each other's best arguments you get people nitpicking each other's grammar and character, and the least reasonable, most unsavory part of each side rises to the top and comes to represent the whole. Different viewpoints come to be viewed as evil and barbaric, devoid of anything worth understanding, rather than simply, you know, different. Social media in particular has made it easier than ever for such stereotypes to bounce around and fuel themselves in an echo chamber. The only winning move is not to say anything at all, which is what I usually do.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Shepardus wrote:I don't mean to imply that all or even most liberals are that obnoxious SJW stereotype; I myself lean left in some areas (I would describe myself as more of a libertarian than a conservative though I haven't given much thought to either label). The current GOP and much of its contingency deserve much of the criticism they get. It just annoys and disappoints me when that's used as an excuse to dismiss whatever virtues may also happen to be associated with the label. I'm sure it'd be the same situation but reversed if I were a hardcore liberal in the American South. People in any argument, political or not, tend to go for the lowest-hanging fruit presented by the other side, regardless of how relevant it is to the big picture. So instead of people paying attention to each other's best arguments you get people nitpicking each other's grammar and character, and the least reasonable, most unsavory part of each side rises to the top and comes to represent the whole. Social media in particular has made it easier than ever for such stereotypes to bounce around and feed themselves in an echo chamber. The only winning move is not to say anything at all, which is what I usually do.
Debatable. I still think it's better not to let them take all the space, which they don't deserve to occupy, and kick them in the nuts on a regular basis to remind them there are people who don't want their shit, be it SJW flavoured or the fascist flavoured.
But seeing their numbers and loudness on both sides I admit the arguments in favor of laying low are strong, sometimes it's indeed better to let the storm pass.
Problem with the internet, is that it helps the worst aspects of humanity spread to everyone's eyes, ears and consciousness, which comparatively to the good sides it has as a communication tool, generates a powerful, crippling individual soul-crushing and society destibilizing effect which not many really had anticipated, save even realized yet.
Not saying it didn't happen before the internet, books and the radio did it even stronger, but with the net today it seems almost like it will never stop growing, that it's a phaenomenon with its own life, it's da haet machine! :p (or should have we said: the machine where hate unfortunately prospers like a self-replicating entity).
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Shoryukev

Post by Shoryukev »

When I buy something on ebay and wait 4 days after I paid for the guy to ship the item, then watch the tracking go from florida......past ohio into michigan......and then straight back and say delivered in a mailbox in florida.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Shepardus wrote:When people assume you're an idiot, ignorant, insane, or some combination because you hold right-leaning views. Rather than try to understand where other values and viewpoints come from and their justifications, many people I've seen online, and some offline, simply liken any opposing opinions with some Disney villain-like brand of evil that ought to be destroyed. This goes both ways but the time I spend on the internet as well as my location in the real world tends to expose me to many more liberals than anything else. I've been told by other students at and alumni of the university I went to (until I graduated about a month ago), in response to my saying that not every Republican is a bigoted racist, that if I were more open-minded I wouldn't be a Republican.* Seems rather closed-minded to suggest that the only way I could hold such a viewpoint is if I were a bad person. Thankfully I think most people reading that comment thread (this was on Facebook, so I guess I shouldn't have expected much) agreed with me, but it's still a bit disheartening to think that such closed-minded sentiments are as prevalent as they are at a university that prides itself on its diversity and open-mindedness.

*I wasn't even a registered Republican at the time
The fact of the matter is, in their subconscious they aren't responding to your points, and this is a phenomena that crosses party lines.

Our brains are evolved for living in tribes of around 100 individuals. In that situation if someone says something fucked up a person can walk right up to them and go, "The hell did you just say?!"

In our modern world so much of our communication is one-way, through television and writing and so forth. Someone goes on TV and says something fucked up and your friends likely will never ever have a chance to call them on their bullshit. However, their emotions remain and fester. Then the guy goes on TV and says something else fucked up. Then their impotent anger rises. Then you come along and say something that just slightly reminds them of the person they're pissed at and suddenly all that pent up anger is unfairly vomited all over you.

Avoidance is not the answer. When someone's treating you that way just calmy but firmly say something along the lines of, "Hey! I know there's a lot of anger in politics right now, but my statement did not warrant that kind of response. Let's start this conversation over again," then restate your original point. If they're the least bit self-aware, they'll snap out of their anger and apologize.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Universal ammo has never improved any action game ever.

Why the hell would I use the default pistol in Hard Reset when it's just taking ammo away from the rocket launcher?
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
atheistgod1999
Banned User

Post by atheistgod1999 »

My History final that I just finished an hour ago as of typing. First, I had to answer 75 multiple-choice questions. Then, I had to write an 8-paragraph essay on two of four major conflicts taught that year (I chose French Revolution and World War II). The essay was basically two-in-one; I had to write completely separate body paragraphs for each conflict. While I wrote about both in the opening and closing paragraphs, I had to write a paragraph each for the major causes, minor causes, and effects/aftermath of the French Revolution, then another 3 for World War II.

Even my English (literature) final on Friday isn't going to be this long; it's just a 5-paragraph essay on whether or not fate caused Oedipus and Macbeth to do the things they did.
Xyga wrote:It's really awesome how quash never gets tired of hammering the same stupid shit over and over and you guys don't suspect for second that he's actually paid for this.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

How much time did you have for the final? Essay questions are one thing I won't miss from school/college.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
atheistgod1999
Banned User

Post by atheistgod1999 »

Shepardus wrote:How much time did you have for the final?
2 hours. I finished in just under 90 minutes.
Xyga wrote:It's really awesome how quash never gets tired of hammering the same stupid shit over and over and you guys don't suspect for second that he's actually paid for this.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Ooh that's tough, at least you finished with plenty of time. I remember my APUSH (AP US History for those not familiar with the acronym) exams being some of the more intense I've taken even compared to my exams in college. To be honest I don't know how I managed to pull through, and I'm not sure I could do it again.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Shoryukev

Post by Shoryukev »

When I look on craigslist for video games and I see 40+ listings from a store individually listing basically everything in their building. For Christ sake....do you really think spamming that much is good for your business? I have passed up on items I want many times just because I don't want to support them.
atheistgod1999
Banned User

Post by atheistgod1999 »

I know it's kinda late to bring this up, but the fact that a car crashed into a pizzeria in a way straight out of a fucking Final Destination film within walking distance of my house.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

atheistgod1999 wrote:I know it's kinda late to bring this up, but the fact that a car crashed into a pizzeria in a way straight out of a fucking Final Destination film within walking distance of my house.

How is that a little thing and why is your response annoyance?

atheistgod1999
Banned User

Post by atheistgod1999 »

Mischief Maker wrote:
atheistgod1999 wrote:I know it's kinda late to bring this up, but the fact that a car crashed into a pizzeria in a way straight out of a fucking Final Destination film within walking distance of my house.

How is that a little thing and why is your response annoyance?
1. It didn't affect me or anyone I know, so it's a "little" thing to me
2. I'm not actually annoyed, but I didn't want to shit out another thread over this (unless there's some "Things that Make you Feel Upset or Depressed" thread on here I don't know about).
trap15

Post by trap15 »

A good alternative is to not post every single thing that pops into your head.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

The fact that I'm in one of the ten US states where every penny of income growth for the first few years of the recovery went to the 1%.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

BulletMagnet wrote:The fact that I'm in one of the ten US states where every penny of income growth for the first few years of the recovery went to the 1%.
Don't worry! President Hillary will tell them to cut it out.

Nobody squanders an opportunity like the Democratic party.

SuperGrafx

Post by SuperGrafx »

Discover Channel's "shark week" nonsense.

Outside of marine biologists, who gives a damn?
S_Fang

Post by S_Fang »

SuperGrafx wrote:Discover Channel's "shark week" nonsense.

People that don't wanna get caught when they jacking off their "birds" ?
Last edited by S_Fang on Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
atheistgod1999
Banned User

Post by atheistgod1999 »

SuperGrafx wrote:Discover Channel's "shark week" nonsense.

So glad someone else thinks this.
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

When a bunch of hooligans in their righteous crusade cause such a massive nation-wide sweep of facepalming.

Backstory: In the game Czech-Croatia, Croatia was playing at their very best, and were leading 0-2 in the first half, until a Czech car brand managed to sneak in one goal in the second half and make it 1-2. And then, 5 minutes before the end, when Croatia was still winning, people from the side of Croatian supporters decided to throw flares and fireworks on the field, causing the match to pause. And because of that, in the last five minutes, one of ours accidentally touches the ball, giving Czech a free penalty, and so the match ended with 2-2. And why would someone do something that fucking retarded?

Basically a bunch of self-righteous hooligans have taken it upon themselves to wage a war against the HNS (the Croatian Football Federation) after its president embezzled a shitton of money to evade taxes, and colluded with Dinamo Zagreb to turn it into a breeding ground for top players so he can sell them off for dosh. This also means that Dinamo is near-fucking-invincible in the national leagues, to the ire of the Torcida, which is how the Splitian football supporters call themselves. They think by ruining an international match they will dethrone this corrupt football organization, although the rest of Croatia did not give a shit. And thus a good lead was wasted because the insignificants were so desperate for some kind of change or consequence, only for it to end up backfiring at their cause. GG

But the most disturbing fact is how the French security allowed this to happen. You'd think that a country which suffered two terrorist attacks in a short span of time would have tightened up its security by now, yet angry hooligans are still able to smuggle in fireworks to an international football match. Croatia's government already collapsed yesterday due to widespread corruption with this shit added on top, but nobody's going to trust the French anymore to protect them from terrorist attacks. Yes im mad
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
tomwhite2004

Post by tomwhite2004 »

The pause in the match had nothing to do with the equaliser, the defenders arms were all over the place when he went up for the ball.

Agree about the awful security so far, especially when certain sets of fans have a reputation for such behaviour.
Shoryukev

Post by Shoryukev »

When the title screen of a video game says "press start", but any button works. I get that it's convenient to not have to push the button in the middle of the controller...but the text on the screen says to press start :lol:
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Shoryukev wrote:When the title screen of a video game says "press start", but any button works. I get that it's convenient to not have to push the button in the middle of the controller...but the text on the screen says to press start :lol:
To me, it's way more annoying when you can't use any other button than start. Such a stupid, unforgiving design.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Well it didn't say not to press the other buttons :P
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Durandal wrote:But the most disturbing fact is how the French security allowed this to happen. You'd think that a country which suffered two terrorist attacks in a short span of time would have tightened up its security by now, yet angry hooligans are still able to smuggle in fireworks to an international football match. Croatia's government already collapsed yesterday due to widespread corruption with this shit added on top, but nobody's going to trust the French anymore to protect them from terrorist attacks. Yes im mad
The problem to begin is that there are large groups of people calling themselves supporters and who really are gangs, some even far-right organizations at the core.
They have official status, funds, and the moment you try to forbid them entry you create an incident. If it turns into a battlefield - the reason why they come to begin - and you send the police to arrest and expulse them, you create an incident.
See what happened with the Russian hooligans, these people came for the purpose of fucking things up, yet it's France that's pointed as accountable for that shit.
Basically the presence of these groups means the host city/country has to double, triple, quadruple their security expenses, having significant intervention troops ready, filtering and detection devices, bomb squad, etc etc. Like it's wartime.
For sports ? A game ? isn't that fucking insane ?
It's the hooligans that are the problem, and how the world of soccer and fans accross the world tolerate their existence and still demand the local authorities deal with their shit and clean up their mess.
Soccer is rotten period, matches should be closed to the public with no refund from the first little incident and for the whole competition.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
atheistgod1999
Banned User

Post by atheistgod1999 »

Getting a phone call from a manager at a local ice cream place (that I know for sure hires 16-year-olds because I've never seen anyone who isn't a teen working there) asking to schedule an interview. After agreeing on Tuesday at 5:30 PM, she calls me up about a minute later to tell me that she has too many interviews scheduled, so she has to cancel mine and call back later to reschedule.
atheistgod1999
Banned User

Post by atheistgod1999 »

I can't watch movies that aren't currently in theaters at the correct speed.
Shoryukev

Post by Shoryukev »

emphatic wrote:To me, it's way more annoying when you can't use any other button than start. Such a stupid, unforgiving design.
I agree you should be able to push anything, it's just annoying to not know whether or not it will actually work :lol:
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Advertisement Captchas! Holy shit, what is the world coming to? :evil:
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

Durandal

Post by Durandal »

Skykid wrote:Advertisement Captchas! Holy shit, what is the world coming to? :evil:
Somewhere in our hearts, we all knew this would happen.
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.