Little things that annoy the hell out of you

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
atheistgod1999
Banned User

Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you

Post by atheistgod1999 »

How the fuck did the NSA manage to do all the things they did without anyone noticing? How didn't anyone notice that their phone wasn't completely off, their server's upload bandwidth was higher than it should, saw the spying software on their hard drive with some program, etc. Also, how did they manage to get a machine to hack everything like in a shitty 90's movie?
Xyga wrote:It's really awesome how quash never gets tired of hammering the same stupid shit over and over and you guys don't suspect for second that he's actually paid for this.
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Because to do otherwise would be anti-patriotic ("'Muricaaaaaaaaaaaaaa... 'Muricaaaaaaaaaaa... "), communist and would let those filthy terrorists win!
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
atheistgod1999
Banned User

Post by atheistgod1999 »

Specineff wrote:Because to do otherwise would be anti-patriotic ("'Muricaaaaaaaaaaaaaa... 'Muricaaaaaaaaaaa... "), communist and would let those filthy terrorists win!
I didn't ask why they did it, I asked how it was even possible. Could you please spend at least 1 second looking at posts before replying?
Xyga wrote:It's really awesome how quash never gets tired of hammering the same stupid shit over and over and you guys don't suspect for second that he's actually paid for this.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Because people generally don't know exactly how their devices work and those who do have better things to do than track every kilobyte sent to and from their server looking for malicious activity.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
tomwhite2004

Post by tomwhite2004 »

"I didn't ask why they did it, I asked how it was even possible. Could you please spend at least 1 second looking at posts before replying?"

In that case could you spend 30 seconds on google before posting?

Phone and internet collection: https://nsa.gov1.info/surveillance/

Hard drives: https://www.wired.com/2015/02/nsa-firmware-hacking/
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

People who don't like a certain genre of music just because it's usually associated with people of certain nationalities, skin colour, or etnic groups, AND make it a point for others to know that. :roll:
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

atheistgod1999 wrote:
Specineff wrote:Because to do otherwise would be anti-patriotic ("'Muricaaaaaaaaaaaaaa... 'Muricaaaaaaaaaaa... "), communist and would let those filthy terrorists win!
I didn't ask why they did it, I asked how it was even possible. Could you please spend at least 1 second looking at posts before replying?

Tone down the condescension. My post still provides an answer: By disguising it as patriotism, appealing to national pride, and using an "Us Vs Them" mentality.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

"Disguising it as" implies they intended to do wrong. It's pretty natural for bureaucrats to try and protect their jobs by creating a reason why their responsibilities and importance should be even bigger, but it's not always going to be paired with a cynical attitude.

For an easier-to-follow example, I was just reading the foreword of the FBI's "Crime in the United States" report for 2001. It notes that the 9/11 attacks caught many agencies off guard and that their reporting techniques didn't capture the important facts about domestic or international terrorism. While I don't understand why they argued that people in 1929 (who set up the basic framework for the uniform crime reports) couldn't have imagined domestic or international terrorism, nevertheless the law only called for police to report crimes within a small number of categories, which isn't enough for today's needs. The same is true of the recent interest in shootings by law enforcement officers: Adding a new category of figures is going to make new responsibilities and likely new jobs.

Or just listen to any interview between two people in the same industry or even the same academic focus can have radically different ideas on what to do. I heard a NPR radio discussion (unfortunately, can't find a link) with two scientists who were talking about antibiotics in livestock. One researcher said "90% of the use of antibiotics is in livestock, and a lot of that is just relabeled use for growth reasons, not therapeutic," and the other guest, it seemed, just couldn't bring herself to agree with that, instead stressing that different cases were "interesting" or that all the ways resistant bacteria can escape represented different situations for risk assessment (and, by implication, offered a critique of the "bring down the antibiotic use across the board" argument). So it wasn't that the one researcher was in the pocket of agribusiness, as she had good arguments. But you had to listen between the lines to figure out not just what "should" be done, but what should be done given all the factors and interests.

In short, that's what's usually to cause in cases that frustrate the average person: Lack of knowledge of all the unusual cases that lead us to want a bunch of different things, so that we have to try and balance them. Fracking vs. our want to use energy is an obvious one. How serious is any one of us about reducing energy use, or accepting higher energy prices?
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Ugly words.

Any language has those. Sometimes you read/hear one and it sticks to your mind for hours, maybe days (though like stupid tunes it's the kind of stuff that happens when you're tired or stressed)

Right now for me it's the English word 'buoyancy'. The one who invented/validated that word deserves many slaps (he/she's probably in Hell though).
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Shoryukev

Post by Shoryukev »

The fact that the only CRT I have in the house doesn't have an RGB input! :(
atheistgod1999
Banned User

Post by atheistgod1999 »

Being paranoid that I'm gonna get cancer because I smoked a cigarette despite only inhaling once before putting it down due to me not liking the taste.

P.S.: If anyone's wondering how I got a cigarette, some guy in this community service program the school ordered me to do as punishment let me have one during break.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

R.I.P.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
atheistgod1999
Banned User

Post by atheistgod1999 »

Blinge wrote:R.I.P.
Did I just break a forum rule, or are you being sarcastic?
trap15

Post by trap15 »

lmfao dude stop posting
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Have some common sense, dude. I'm more likely to get cancer from reading your cluelessness than you are from a single cigarette.
Last edited by Shepardus on Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
wgogh

Post by wgogh »

Some little thing annoyed me yesterday
I was playing Ys for the PC Engine, near the end of the game, and i happened to save where one the little enemies respawn.
So, it kept me checkpointing there, looping my death. I would have to restart from the very beginning

I laughed, but it was annoying...

Also, I had already beaten the game before, so i just let it go
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

My printer doing stuff at 3 am when the computer is off, wireless is inactive, and I'm sleeping.

I already said I hate printers but this is the first time one managed to scare me.
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

Is it me, or is the punchline in political humor nearly always 'look at how stupid this idiot is' ?
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
Lord Satori

Post by Lord Satori »

I hate people who are absolutely clueless to how arrogant they are.

Bonus points if they feel the need to point out your every mistake while simultaneously being oblivious to their own, even after they've been pointed out by someone else.

I'd like to believe this type of ego is found only among edgy teens, but that's probably just wishful thinking.
BryanM wrote:You're trapped in a haunted house. There's a ghost. It wants to eat your friends and have sex with your cat. When forced to decide between the lives of your friends and the chastity of your kitty, you choose the cat.
atheistgod1999
Banned User

Post by atheistgod1999 »

Durandal wrote:Is it me, or is the punchline in political humor nearly always 'look at how stupid this idiot is' ?
Nearly always? I think it's just always.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Xyga wrote:My printer doing stuff at 3 am when the computer is off, wireless is inactive, and I'm sleeping.

I already said I hate printers but this is the first time one managed to scare me.
My father used to send stuff with the fax function on his printer, but had to stop since he started getting fucking ads at 1AM.
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
lilmanjs

Post by lilmanjs »

People not telling you straight up they've gone with somebody else. I have released the first 2 volumes in an interesting electronic music series on my little label I run. In talks about getting the 3rd release out when finished on the label, and then suddenly, how do I find out? Somebody posts on facebook about the release coming out on a label that isn't mine. Can't people be nice enough these days to actually be able to tell somebody they might have gotten a better offer?
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Writing sample of the week: "Two of the five who died were men, and all were older than 50."

Of course the event that this described is much worse.
atheistgod1999
Banned User

Post by atheistgod1999 »

Everyone thinking they're "nerds" or "progressive" or "gamers" or other things when they're really only that because of the zeitgeist. I'm pretty sure that most of the people who say they're a "nerd" or "gamer" nowadays would've been a jock and think video games were stupid if they were the same age 20 years ago.
atheistgod1999
Banned User

Post by atheistgod1999 »

Having no clue how to meditate when I have to finish an overdue Macbeth essay.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

Being that I haven't posted any scores in Shmups Chat after half a year*, maybe I'm not one to talk, but I really do think you are overusing this thread. This sort of thing would be better suited to a blog.

That being said...
atheistgod1999 wrote:Everyone thinking they're "nerds" or "progressive" or "gamers" or other things when they're really only that because of the zeitgeist. I'm pretty sure that most of the people who say they're a "nerd" or "gamer" nowadays would've been a jock and think video games were stupid if they were the same age 20 years ago.
It really can't be helped. People generally have tiny pools of reference and vast areas of the Internet (or even just mass media in general) are dedicated to making them even smaller. It takes something else to really go against the grain. For example...

Also, at some point certain genres of video games became popular with the jock crowd. The Mattel Intellivision made a name for itself with sports titles, so I'm not how recent this trend is, but a part of me is inclined to point to the Xbox Live era.
Lord Satori wrote:I hate people who are absolutely clueless to how arrogant they are.

Bonus points if they feel the need to point out your every mistake while simultaneously being oblivious to their own, even after they've been pointed out by someone else.
I'm sorry.

Spoiler
Working on Super Darius and Strider Hiryu 2. Still nowhere close to looping the former, or ranking above a B in the latter.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

When people assume you're an idiot, ignorant, insane, or some combination because you hold right-leaning views. Rather than try to understand where other values and viewpoints come from and their justifications, many people I've seen online, and some offline, simply liken any opposing opinions with some Disney villain-like brand of evil that ought to be destroyed. This goes both ways but the time I spend on the internet as well as my location in the real world tends to expose me to many more liberals than anything else. I've been told by other students at and alumni of the university I went to (until I graduated about a month ago), in response to my saying that not every Republican is a bigoted racist, that if I were more open-minded I wouldn't be a Republican.* Seems rather closed-minded to suggest that the only way I could hold such a viewpoint is if I were a bad person. Thankfully I think most people reading that comment thread (this was on Facebook, so I guess I shouldn't have expected much) agreed with me, but it's still a bit disheartening to think that such closed-minded sentiments are as prevalent as they are at a university that prides itself on its diversity and open-mindedness.

*I wasn't even a registered Republican at the time
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Shepardus wrote:When people assume you're an idiot, ignorant, insane, or some combination because you hold right-leaning views. Rather than try to understand where other values and viewpoints come from and their justifications, many people I've seen online, and some offline, simply liken any opposing opinions with some Disney villain-like brand of evil that ought to be destroyed. This goes both ways but the time I spend on the internet as well as my location in the real world tends to expose me to many more liberals than anything else. I've been told by other students at and alumni of the university I went to (until I graduated about a month ago), in response to my saying that not every Republican is a bigoted racist, that if I were more open-minded I wouldn't be a Republican.* Seems rather closed-minded to suggest that the only way I could hold such a viewpoint is if I were a bad person. Thankfully I think most people reading that comment thread (this was on Facebook, so I guess I shouldn't have expected much) agreed with me, but it's still a bit disheartening to think that such closed-minded sentiments are as prevalent as they are at a university that prides itself on its diversity and open-mindedness.

*I wasn't even a registered Republican at the time
The problem is not being right-leaning, it's that in many, many countries the legit right-wing parties are indeed bloated with racist bigots actually leaning more to the far-right, it's the same in my cuntry, it's the same almost everywhere.
I respect right-wing people when they're being serious talking about business, the economy, our laws, how things go in the country etc, basically when they behave like civilized people... not when they're vomiting inhuman speeches basically over everyone on earth who's not the WASP/aryan superman ideal (or their equivalent idea of that where they live).
Do you actually expect people from the left to be open to that, which is kind of the epitome of closed-mindedness ?
Put yourself in the shoes of those more left leaning and try to understand the kind of display the right-wing parties have been giving them for so long, and maybe also try to understand not every people on the -left side, far from it, are SJW bozos, yeah for many those clowns are a fucking cancer too, the world is large so definitely check outside the sheltered uni world.
Or rather why don't you forget about the SJW media smokescreen, which all right-wing crowds seem to enjoy being obsessed with, and instead hate you own party for letting cavemen steal the show and make you all members look like a bunch of brainless barbarians ?
Again it's the same everywhere, as in my cuntry where as the right-wing is losing voices to the far-right, instead of standing strong against that morbid trend, they're in fact trying to show they're even more brutal assholes that the actual far-right itself.

Still, I'm saying this, but the more dramatic thing in regards to large old 'governement' political parties, is that whether left or right, their aging leading ideological and political cores became so weak and disappointing, they've lost most of their credibility, voice and exposure to the SJW for the former, and neo-fascists to the latter.
There's no hope anyway.
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Xyga wrote: There's no hope anyway.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.