Little things that annoy the hell out of you

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
atheistgod1999
Banned User

Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you

Post by atheistgod1999 »

That fucking loser who pretend(s/ed) to play video games. The reason he didn't have a CRT wasn't because he didn't care about how the games looked (though input lag would probably also be an issue), but because he didn't know the first thing about video games besides what he heard on AVGN. He occasionally said that he heard on AVGN whatever thing about older video games he knew. He probably just saw AVGN and thought he should play retro games or something. I actually originally bought a bunch of older games when I was like 8 or 9 in the late 2000's but stopped and ended up selling them all because nobody else at school played them (I still knew about a huge amount of game consoles and game history despite playing modern games for several years and I also never thought they were any worse than modern games).

How do I know that he doesn't actually play them? In my English class that he's also in a few weeks ago (as of typing), there was a short assignment where everyone wrote about something they thought they couldn't do, but tried anyway and ended up succeeding and then read it out loud to the whole class. I wrote about how the night before, I was on my last life and on the final screen of Double Dragon NES and felt like I was definitely getting game over, but ended up beating it on that life. When I read it out to the class, he and the teacher were familiar with the game (the teacher said he remembered playing that as a kid because I'm young as fuck :() and the kid ignored me saying I beat it but basically said that it was the game's fault that I was in that situation in the first place because "games used to be much harder to fake longevity" or some stupid shit like that. Someone who thinks difficulty is a flaw isn't a true gamer!

Pretty ironic, due to people on this forum in those threads telling me how he actually cares about how the games play and how "retro" gaming for me might be just a phase. Well, guess what? He doesn't talk about video games anymore and instead just obsesses over the new superhero film of the week (and watches lowest-common-denominator Japanese animation like One Piece, but he did that even back then, further proving that he's just a poser). I, on the other hand, eventually got around to actually playing older games. Plus, he thinks difficulty is a flaw, so he obviously doesn't care about how games play.

EDIT: Spelling
Last edited by atheistgod1999 on Sun May 22, 2016 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xyga wrote:It's really awesome how quash never gets tired of hammering the same stupid shit over and over and you guys don't suspect for second that he's actually paid for this.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Dude stop posting lmao
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Lord Satori

Post by Lord Satori »

Yeah, this thread is pretty addicting. It can be pretty hard to kick. :wink:
BryanM wrote:You're trapped in a haunted house. There's a ghost. It wants to eat your friends and have sex with your cat. When forced to decide between the lives of your friends and the chastity of your kitty, you choose the cat.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

trap15 wrote:Dude stop posting lmao
No way, I'm always interested in the next chapter of the retro game poser feud.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

atheistgod1999
Banned User

Post by atheistgod1999 »

Skykid wrote:I'm always interested in the next chapter of the retro game poser feud.
I haven't talked to him since I posted that second thread about him. I was just giving the conclusion.
Xyga wrote:It's really awesome how quash never gets tired of hammering the same stupid shit over and over and you guys don't suspect for second that he's actually paid for this.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

atheistgod1999 wrote:That fucking loser who pretend(s/ed) to play video games. The reason he didn't have a CRT wasn't because he didn't care about how the games looked (though input lag would probably also be an issue), but because he didn't know the first thing about video games besides what he heard on AVGN. He occasionally said that he heard on AVGN whatever thing about older video games he knew. He probably just saw AVGN and thought he should play retro games or something. I actually originally bought a bunch of older games when I was like 8 or 9 in the late 2000's but stopped and ended up selling them all because nobody else at school played them (I still knew about a huge amount of game consoles and game history despite playing modern games for several years and I also never thought they were any worse than modern games).

How do I know that he doesn't actually play them? In my English class that he's also in a few weeks ago (as of typing), there was a short assignment where everyone wrote about something they thought they couldn't do, but tried anyway and ended up succeeding and then read it out loud to the whole class. I wrote about how the night before, I was on my last life and on the final screen of Double Dragon NES and felt like I was definitely getting game over, but ended up beating it on that life. When I read it out to the class, he and the teacher were familiar with the game (the teacher said he remembered playing that as a kid because I'm young as fuck :() and the kid ignored me saying I beat it but basically said that it was the game's fault that I was in that situation in the first place because "games used to be much harder to fake longetivity" or some stupid shit like that. Someone who thinks difficulty is a flaw isn't a true gamer!

Pretty ironic, due to people on this forum in those threads telling me how he actually cares about how the games play and how "retro" gaming for me might be just a phase. Well, guess what? He doesn't talk about video games anymore and instead just obsesses over the new superhero film of the week (and watches lowest-common-denominator Japanese animation like One Piece, but he did that even back then, further proving that he's just a poser). I, on the other hand, eventually got around to actually playing older games. Plus, he thinks difficulty is a flaw, so he obviously doesn't care about how games play.
Wtf is this?
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
NTSC-J

Post by NTSC-J »

Definitely not Froyo material.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

To this day, there still isn't an autosave feature in GIMP. The feature request is from 2004.

there's a bit of discussion about possibly cleaner solutions, but as it stands now, GIMP can lock up for no apparent or reproducable reason, your machine can lock up, power could go out, and you'll lose your work, and all that's needed is an option to automatically write a backup to disk every ___ minutes if they haven't saved in a while

I could go on for probably a good hour about GIMP's failings [some of the other things that bug me in particular about it are: you can't select multiple layers, you can't apply filters to a layer group, making a basic shape [like a god damn rectangle] is doable but somewhat obtuse -- make rectangle selection, edit->stroke selection, adjust params], but this is probably the most important of the lot.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
mamboFoxtrot

Post by mamboFoxtrot »

Haha, yeah, GiMP is unfortunately the only thing this old Tablet PC of mine can actually run (unless I feel like reinstalling my ancient copy of Photoshop Elements 2, but I'm not sure if that would even be an improvement), so I've become quite intimate with all of its obnoxious quirks and shortcomings. Though, lack of auto-save isn't one that's ever bothered me, since my laptop's dead battery + half-broken power cable connection means I already compulsively save everything every 12 seconds anyways. Sometimes I even try saving web pages I'm viewing out of habit. Hell, I've even tried pressing CTRL+S when writing or drawing on real-world paper. :lol:
atheistgod1999 wrote:This question on an application for a frozen yogurt place:

"If you were an ice cream flavor, what would you be and why?"

I hate questions like that.
Oh man, I've seen dumb interview questions before, but that's definitely a new low to me!
boagman

Post by boagman »

NTSC-J wrote:Definitely not Froyo material.
Okay, that was good. Made me laugh. Hope it made him laugh, too. Very good.
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

People who say "quote-on-quote", instead of "Quote/Unquote".

People who write "Quote/Unquote" before a quotation. The quote marks are there for a reason, dummy.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
atheistgod1999
Banned User

Post by atheistgod1999 »

Sorry, mamboFoxtrot was agreeing with me.
Last edited by atheistgod1999 on Mon May 23, 2016 2:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
Lord Satori

Post by Lord Satori »

This has got to be the pettiest bullshit I've ever seen in a school.
Last edited by Lord Satori on Mon May 23, 2016 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BryanM wrote:You're trapped in a haunted house. There's a ghost. It wants to eat your friends and have sex with your cat. When forced to decide between the lives of your friends and the chastity of your kitty, you choose the cat.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

NTSC-J wrote:Definitely not Froyo material.
Definitely not.
In my English class that he's also in a few weeks ago (as of typing), there was a short assignment where everyone wrote about something they thought they couldn't do, but tried anyway and ended up succeeding and then read it out loud to the whole class. I wrote about how the night before, I was on my last life and on the final screen of Double Dragon NES and felt like I was definitely getting game over, but ended up beating it on that life.
Christ, that's embarrassing.

Although I would like to know how this "fake longevity" belief came to be so widespread among... people who play games these days, I guess. ("Casual" is just too vague of a term.) It doesn't make sense to view 'difficult' stage design or other aspects of arcade-style gameplay as outdated or bad when people are still making quality arcade games. Nor does it make sense to consider games from the 16-bit or Playstation eras onward as any deeper in that regard when "console-style" games with things like "cinematic" presentation or "sandbox" gameplay have been around for at least thirty years. (Thankfully, nobody actually thinks that.)

So where does this come from? Terrible news sites like IGN? Unlikely, since such sources are rarely taken seriously even by people that don't play CAVE shooters. Are people confusing games with movies or what?

Speaking of which, I really can't understand why people make such a big deal about Ninja Gaiden having a few cutscenes when the King's Quest games had been telling relatively text-heavy stories since 1984. (To say nothing of the fact that even pre-crash arcade games had cutscenes.) It's funny how 1UP somehow manages to introduce Phantasy Star in that article while omitting the fact that the first game had cutscenes progressing the plot in 1987, two years before Ninja Gaiden. Final Fantasy II on the Famicom wasn't exactly short on plot-related cutscenes, either, and that was in 1988.

EDIT:
atheistgod1999 wrote:Someone who thinks difficulty is a flaw isn't a true gamer!
As has been repeated numerous times, both on these forums and elsewhere, statements like these indicate a gross oversimplification of the matter (on both sides) and should under no circumstances be encouraged.
Last edited by WelshMegalodon on Mon May 23, 2016 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

I would tell the yogurt people "I would find it hard to be a team player or add value to this organization if you eat me, so I'll pick human flavor" :P

See how big a bunch of cannibals the corporate world really are.
atheistgod1999
Banned User

Post by atheistgod1999 »

Oh fuck, I just realized I left out a couple things from before.

LAST TIME I'M MENTIONING THAT KID:

I forgot to mention that before making the first thread about him, he had an iPhone 6s and I saw him at lunch laughing at this kid's $100 Android phone and telling him he might as well have thrown $100 away (also copying part of AVGN's ending monologue to part 1 of his Action 52 review). He also tells others (besides me) to fuck off and that "no one cares" all the time.

Just thought I'd say that to justify me disliking him.
tomwhite2004

Post by tomwhite2004 »

Getting deja vu.....

"He wasn't completely innocent besides that, either. He has an iPhone 6s and before whining about him on this forum, I saw him at lunch laugh at his friend's $100 Android and tell him he might as well have thrown the money away"
atheistgod1999
Banned User

Post by atheistgod1999 »

tomwhite2004 wrote:Getting deja vu.....

"He wasn't completely innocent besides that, either. He has an iPhone 6s and before whining about him on this forum, I saw him at lunch laugh at his friend's $100 Android and tell him he might as well have thrown the money away"
Oh.... :oops:

I'll leave you people alone until I learn to stop being a fucktard.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Appreciated.
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
atheistgod1999
Banned User

Post by atheistgod1999 »

I really shouldn't be playing with fire. My online behavior hasn't improved at all since last fall, I guess. Sorry.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

At least you're aware that you can improve and are willing to do so. That's more credit than I can give to many others.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

We can all stop pretending Super Mario 64 was some kind of ultra-innovative trailblazer for being "the first 3D platformer" or whatever now that people know about Geograph Seal for the X68000:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNYLREO ... e=youtu.be

There's also its (slightly) more famous sequel, Jumping Flash!:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRD5whY ... e=youtu.be

On the home computer side, we have the Amiga game Alpha Waves, which actually predates both of the above.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrOY0b_2zyM

EDIT: I see that Geograph Seal has been brought up several times before, most recently in the PS1 thread and as far back as 2011. My compliments to the SHMUPS community. Now we really have to do something about this "new gamers are lazier" myth.
Last edited by WelshMegalodon on Wed May 25, 2016 11:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
trap15

Post by trap15 »

And there's Floating Runner, which came out on PS1 before Mario 64. Anyone who says Mario 64 was the first 3D platformer doesn't know their history.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

A Nintendo employee wrote just that years ago:
The classic Super Mario 64 control scheme has easily become one of the most intuitive ways to control a 3D character from a third-person perspective. While the game Super Mario 64 didn't invent the technique, it did manage to polish it and popularize it with millions of gamers. [...]
That's Steve Rabin, a programming technology evangelist / engineer at NoA, writing in this article (not full text - man, these books aren't getting cheaper):
Classic Super Mario 64 Third-Person Control and Animation
Abstract: This article will deal with the basic issues of controlling and animating a character from a third-person perspective. While it seems straightforward enough (just copy Super Mario 64), it's not as trivial as it first appears. There are many small nuggets of wisdom that can often take weeks of trial and error to discover.
It's a rare example of dissecting a classic game design with both design and programming views in mind. Mr. Rabin provides a complete list of everything Mario will do depending on the analog controller alone, which is already a pretty sizeable list before inputs. I'm sure he didn't work on the game and, although he gives a good amount of example code and discusses some of the engineering challenges to Super Mario 64 (like converting controller inputs from screen space to world space, or dampening transitions to create believable reactions with inertia but no lag), he writes that the info was gathered "without any knowledge of actual implementation."

Floating Runner looks odd. Kind of getting an Assault / Twin Cobra II vibe from it (movement looks kind of tank-ish, plus the rotation and scoring of some sort). Poor Xing.

Also...I'm not sure this belongs here, but the last thing I expected to see when searching for Tony Robinson (the bloke with a knighthood) was to be clickbaited by The Mirror:
Toilet terror as python bites man's penis while he sits on the loo before bloody battle ensues
WARNING GRAPHIC IMAGES. U-bend horror for the man, who was going about his normal morning bathroom routine when the four metre-long snake clamped on to his privates
Headline in a font about as big as your head. Thanks for that, Mirror. Yeah, don't go searching for that.
BIL

Post by BIL »

lmao, I saw the python dickbite ordeal chronicle too, but on similarly esteemed organ / children's comic DAIRY MAIRU. I like that intro better though:
Ed Oscuro wrote:bloody battle ensues
Boss BGM The Theme of Toilet Python <-- please replay scene in mind to this BGM <333
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

I escaped the sulfur clouds emanating from Lord Satori's DOOM postings, only to end back up in the evil clutches of yellow journalism. Some days you just gotta RIP 'n' TEAR.

That soundtrack tho...like the coils of a metal space snake gliding over a comb, or somebody frantically unwinding TP from the roll?

Book of the day.
Lord Satori

Post by Lord Satori »

All I asked was for you to see it in motion. Considering that you seemed to be forming your argument based on screenshots alone, this doesn't seem to be a tall order.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Asked? "Pursued out of an overblown sense of the rightness of one's opinion" seems a better description. All those ideas dissolve when you consider this: There are a lot of FPS games. At least some of them allow you to see things moving, so this is not unique to DOOM. That means that we can take motion perception as a given when comparing different FPSes! Still got me? Some FPSes have eye-friendly contrast levels. I didn't see much evidence that the new DOOM has a lot of that. Given what we know about contrast and eye strain, it's safe to assume that DOOM is going to be more taxing on eyes than other FPSes. Sure, maybe that's "just sometimes." Beyond that I don't really intend to say much right away, but I think it's very telling that I'm supposed to go out and research this thing to hell when previous iD games all were able to sell themselves with one screenshot.

There are a lot of things going on with the game which can militate for the visibility question one way or another, but I'm keeping it simple for now. I actually have some other thoughts but I wanted to get this issue closed.

Of course, somebody could have just posted some screenshots that showed more color contrast in DOOM (by design, I mean, not user edits). Again, maybe the game is fine. I'm hearing good things about it! But I am getting tired of games taking my eyesight for granted - and I admit I don't quite get the gameplay or aesthetic reasoning behind this choice in general, if indeed it was intentional and the game didn't just use the fog fill look by default. DOOM III was clear about what it wanted to be - shooting at shadows and eyes in the dark, and delivering monster closet jump scares. I didn't understand the style aspirations (or the gameplay) from the screenshots here, but that's a much bigger discussion than I wanted to start before having, as you say, real game experience.

Bethesda might be hoping to save some money off the cost of the two failed DOOM IV dev cycles by not releasing a public demo, but I hope somebody steps up to the plate with some visibility tweaks. Either thing could well be delivered before I get this game, so I don't need to rush it.

Also not pleased with the general sense of...something, defensiveness and general unpleasantness from being stuck in console wars mode for all time. "You must bow down to the monochrome color schemes of DOOM or else you will be thrown to surprisingly detailed wolves (you can see they're detailed when they're up close and moving)." Well, okay then.
Lord Satori

Post by Lord Satori »

I admit I was a bit cheekier than I needed to be in my initial posts.

That said, I understand your complaints now. I misinterpreted as being purely about not being able to see where the enemies were, but now that I understand it I'm inclined to agree.

Something that annoys the hell out of me: when online interactions get out of control.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

People saying titular instead of eponymous.

Titular...
Tit.

That is all.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart