DARIUS BURST CHRONICLE SAVIOURS (STEAM/PS4/Vita)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Steelix100

Re: DARIUS BURST CHRONICLE SAVIOURS (STEAM/PS4/Vita)

Post by Steelix100 »

Can the cabinets feature be disabled?
Casual shmup player
cfx

Post by cfx »

trap15 wrote:Surely you can play the whole thing offline, though I don't know how the Cabinet sync thing works if you're offline.
I certainly hope so otherwise I'm out of luck.
iast wrote:Streamed some PSTV gameplay earlier. Recording here: http://www.twitch.tv/iastsa/b/684532854

As others have commented, the Vita isn't too friendly with AC mode scaling. It's playable enough on PSTV on a 23" monitor but I can't imagine playing on a handheld being easy on the eyes. CS mode looks great, aside from a slightly largish UI in my opinion, but just a personal thought.

Curious to see impressions on the PS4/Steam versions when they launch, particularly for AC mode. As much as I'd like to double dip, the next couple weeks gaming-wise aren't gonna be easy on my wallet.
I looked at it fullscreen on a 23" and think it looks good as a video, but do you find the PSTV and Vita resolution to be a drawback at all?

And a question; a lot of the video especially large groups of small enemies, looked like it stuttered a lot for me. Is the game like this or is that just an effect of the video (or my connection)?

I'm sure the other versions are superior, but playing on PSTV is the only real option for me. I'm one of those who refuses to use Steam (and I don't have a version of Windows that will run it anyway), and I don't own or want to buy a PS4 as there's really nothing else on it for me at the moment.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

I also noticed stuttering in the stream but I asked iast during the stream and he said it was running smoothly, so it's probably either the video encoding or the Twitch player that's making it stutter.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

A little disappointed in the pricing scheme here, I gotta say. I mean, personally, I've certainly spent far more on other games over the years, but my concern is that the pricing makes this a super tough sell to anyone but the hardcore crowd. I mean, when I was showing the game on stream a few nights ago, I had a friend of mine watching and he had some real interest in the game due to his experiences with G-Darius on PSX years ago. But I know there's no way in hell he's gonna drop $50 on this no matter how much content there is because he's just not that interested.

It's kind of a shame, because I really feel like everything else about this game was done right to try appealing to a more casual crowd (and of course, spice things up a bit for the rest of us), but that price is gonna drive so many away until either a price drop or a substantial sale.

Again, I have no problem paying these prices personally (and certainly will do so when it officially launches on Steam) but I was really hoping this could be a game that gives the genre a lot more recognition.
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

Keres wrote:
Skykid wrote:My amiami order says the physical release isn't coming out until January, can anyone confirm this?
Wikipedia currently says that the JP release is January 14th on all platforms. I was surprised to learn that the West was getting it first.
This probably goes a long way in explaining the pricing. I could see them wanting full price from Japanese gamers who are longtime fans of the game/series, but those are exactly the people who'd find a way to get the budget priced US edition instead if it were available a month early. I've heard of Japanese companies having similar importing concerns even before games were digital, and region locks were the norm. If there were a six month gap between the releases (with JP coming first) I imagine we'd have had a better shot at a discounted release.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
cfx

Post by cfx »

CStarFlare wrote:
Keres wrote:
Skykid wrote:My amiami order says the physical release isn't coming out until January, can anyone confirm this?
Wikipedia currently says that the JP release is January 14th on all platforms. I was surprised to learn that the West was getting it first.
This probably goes a long way in explaining the pricing. I could see them wanting full price from Japanese gamers who are longtime fans of the game/series, but those are exactly the people who'd find a way to get the budget priced US edition instead if it were available a month early. I've heard of Japanese companies having similar importing concerns even before games were digital, and region locks were the norm. If there were a six month gap between the releases (with JP coming first) I imagine we'd have had a better shot at a discounted release.
Exactly, but I thought this information on the release dates Japan vs. everywhere else was already well known to everyone?

This was the reason that PS3 Persona 4 Arena was region-locked since it had dual language so Japanese buyers couldn't import the cheaper US release which came out the same week.
Oniros

Post by Oniros »

Beta testers: I'm I the only one here getting ridiculously fast speed at 144 Hz? A 60 FPS cap should be added to options!
Squire Grooktook wrote:
Captain wrote:The future of shmups is the past.
*Yagawa smiles with the teeth of a shark*

*cue Heavy Day*
Danny

Post by Danny »

Shepardus wrote:I also noticed stuttering in the stream but I asked iast during the stream and he said it was running smoothly, so it's probably either the video encoding or the Twitch player that's making it stutter.
Probably poor streaming settings. Most people can not stream 1080p 60fps smoothly.
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

cfx wrote: Exactly, but I thought this information on the release dates Japan vs. everywhere else was already well known to everyone?
DBCS's release schedule was known but it kind of slipped my mind until Keres brought it up.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
cfx

Post by cfx »

CStarFlare wrote:
cfx wrote: Exactly, but I thought this information on the release dates Japan vs. everywhere else was already well known to everyone?
DBCS's release schedule was known but it kind of slipped my mind until Keres brought it up.
I didn't mean to single you out sorry. :)

It's just that in all the bitching about the cost, no one seems to have realized this issue.

I want a physical release as much as anyone, and will likely buy the physical Vita version (if I buy for PSTV, I will definitely get the physical and not digital), yet I don't get this outrage that digital games are worth so much less than physical. I agree with a bit less since it's less like ownership and you can lose them potentially if they get delisted, but the idea that they're only worth like 1/3 of the price being asked seems like the same kind of whining I'd expect from the "can beat the game in 20 minutes and it's done with" crowd. Either that or it's people who are just cheap and that's all they're willing to pay anyway and the digital vs. physical is just an excuse. Not saying that applies to anyone specifically here, but overall that's how it comes across. I truly feel like the near constant Steam sales have really devalued games in the eyes of far too many people. :(
1up

Post by 1up »

Steam page says it's released this Thursday. Recent twitter post says it's released on Steam tomorrow (Wednesday). Either way, it's this week :D

On another note, Neogaf seems split on the price. Seems it's like 50/50 - price is too steep / price is ok.
qmish

Post by qmish »

Strider77 wrote: I can't even tell what any of this means. Translation?
I said that it's not just shmups.system11.org forum users who says things like "ok, i would buy it physical. but digital for such price? meh"
People on game forums like NeoGAF and news site like Siliconera say the same, regardless of being shmuppers or not.

So this "hipster" thing is definetely not exclusive here despite what Despatches (sorry for mispronounce) telling us.

Though, i misread his post at first time. I thought he was saying that it's system11 people who complain about price but not anyone else. Which puzzled me, just check Steam discussions.

Yet, still, all that "no hard copy no buy" is widespread too.

edit:
And, nobody was saying that Pyramid/Taito/etc. "don't deserve" money. Someone is too edgy.
blag

Post by blag »

So I was playing a little bit of co-op with my gf last night, she's not that into games but it's something that a casual observer can easily pick up and play for a bit, and I was wondering what's the story with counter-bursts in co-op? Say if P1 counter-bursts can P2 cut into that counter beam for two simultaneous counter beams?
rtw

Post by rtw »

blag wrote:So I was playing a little bit of co-op with my gf last night, she's not that into games but it's something that a casual observer can easily pick up and play for a bit, and I was wondering what's the story with counter-bursts in co-op? Say if P1 counter-bursts can P2 cut into that counter beam for two simultaneous counter beams?
That is correct, you will combine bursts, I think it's documented in the attract screens...
http://world-of-arcades.net
The future of ST-V rests upon our work and your work
iast

Post by iast »

Shepardus wrote:I also noticed stuttering in the stream but I asked iast during the stream and he said it was running smoothly, so it's probably either the video encoding or the Twitch player that's making it stutter.
Yeah, any stutters from watching the recording would've been due to encoding. The only stuttering in-game I've noticed is loading between zones.
blag

Post by blag »

rtw wrote:
blag wrote:So I was playing a little bit of co-op with my gf last night, she's not that into games but it's something that a casual observer can easily pick up and play for a bit, and I was wondering what's the story with counter-bursts in co-op? Say if P1 counter-bursts can P2 cut into that counter beam for two simultaneous counter beams?
That is correct, you will combine bursts, I think it's documented in the attract screens...
Thanks, I hadn't noticed the info in the attract screens.
antares

Post by antares »

Sorry to derail one last time but I think people who are on the pro digital side don't understand the reasoning against buying. For me it comes down to this: When this whole digital games business started to kick off a few years ago and people raised their concerns about not getting a physical product the argument from the videogames industry was always that the consumers will benefit from much cheaper prices, telling everyone games will at least get one third cheaper when buying digital. And now we see that this was a straight lie and games cost the same price like for a hard copy.
I for myself don't want to get mucked like this, it's as simple as that.

There are of course other factors too like no second hand market, no chance of cheaper prices at different retailers and so on which should reduce the price of digital games even more to make up for it.
WTB: Arkanoid II Revenge Of Doh PCB, Outzone PCB, Fixeight PCB
qmish

Post by qmish »

Doesnt matter, because, after all...

you either buy it or not. Done.

Be grateful that some physical copies are still happening from time to time.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Let's throw in my two cents... I was under the impression that most people here buy a couple new games per year. That is, those years when two shmups are released.

Also, I was under the impression that most people here actually deplore the sad state of affairs modern videogaming has come to be. These days, many games are released with much fanfare, limited editions, physical copies at retail stores and each one of them has a retail price higher that Dariusburst CS. Do you realize that lots of people out there shell that kind of cash monthly, for franchises you wouldn't touch with a ten feet stick.

But let me add another consideration in the mix... How much is Dariusburst again? 50$? That's like, 10 dollars for every legendary guy/lady who has lent his/her talent to this project: Zuntata, Hosoe, Yamane and the likes. And I'm just talking about music.

With this in mind, I honestly feel the release, the digital early localized release in the west, something of a godsend. Really really happy to double dip by purchasing the digital (unfortunately still a week away from us in Europe), AND the physical LE.

Thank you Darius to be still with us. :)
X - P - B
SuperPang

Post by SuperPang »

Any word on an EU price? If it's going to be £50 I might as well dig out my US account. Not exactly chuffed to be paying $60 either but I'm hungry for a decent shmup.
qmish

Post by qmish »

Yes, just the thing that IT HAPPENS is some what of miracle. I was loosing hope to ever experience DBACEX unless i'll voyage somewhere.
ATTRACTS

Post by ATTRACTS »

antares wrote:Sorry to derail one last time but I think people who are on the pro digital side don't understand the reasoning against buying. For me it comes down to this: When this whole digital games business started to kick off a few years ago and people raised their concerns about not getting a physical product the argument from the videogames industry was always that the consumers will benefit from much cheaper prices, telling everyone games will at least get one third cheaper when buying digital. And now we see that this was a straight lie and games cost the same price like for a hard copy.
I for myself don't want to get mucked like this, it's as simple as that.

There are of course other factors too like no second hand market, no chance of cheaper prices at different retailers and so on which should reduce the price of digital games even more to make up for it.
So the flip side is to not support the games and have the very niche genre that we love die. At this point, NOT buying them isn't going to force them to change direction and release a physical version next time, because there probably won't be a next time.
I LOVE physical releases but if it's between digital or nothing, I'll buy digital.
blag

Post by blag »

ATTRACTS wrote: So the flip side is to not support the games and have the very niche genre that we love die. At this point, NOT buying them isn't going to force them to change direction and release a physical version next time, because there probably won't be a next time.
I LOVE physical releases but if it's between digital or nothing, I'll buy digital.
Pretty much my thinking. This discussion has been done to death for years, I'd much prefer a physical game if I can but this is pretty much an exceptional scenario where a game of immense quality in a niche genre I enjoy is only available digitally and I'll support it.

It's sad that this game is here to be played and enjoyed and most of the thread is taken up by pricing discussion.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

blag wrote:It's sad that this game is here to be played and enjoyed and most of the thread is taken up by pricing discussion.
Well, it's admittedly too early for hands-on impressions. It was released today just on one platform, (not the leading one, as I bet most will go for the Steam / dual screen version), and only in the US which I'd be curious to know if it makes 50% or less of the people around here.

What we have is reasonable insight from experienced players who have been lucky enough to play the arcade before.

What's the filesize for PSVita / PS4 versions if I may ask early buyers?
X - P - B
CloudyMusic

Post by CloudyMusic »

The Vita version download size is 716MB on the store. Not sure if install size is any different.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Keres wrote:The Vita version download size is 716MB on the store. Not sure if install size is any different.
Aww, that only sweetens the deal! :D With less than 1gb of room taken, this will never leave my 16gb card. (not that there was a chance, but had it been persona4-like in size, it would have seriously hampered the usage of my PSTV for other gaming needs).
X - P - B
roadpuppets

Post by roadpuppets »

blag wrote:
ATTRACTS wrote:
It's sad that this game is here to be played and enjoyed and most of the thread is taken up by pricing discussion.
Lol I know right? Instead of agonizing over the cost.... I've spent most of the last 24 hours playing it :)
roadpuppets

Post by roadpuppets »

Re: Vita size, I was pleasantly surprised too! Although there was an additional download, total after install of the 2 files is 863mb.
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

Noticed something important on CS mode: pushing TAB on a mission swaps the mission type & leaderboard. So if it's an alternate route mission you can see leaderboards for the different routes. If that node had a WARNING mission you can replay it and view the leaderboard. edit: Button 6 on a controller or on console does the same. These nodes have 06 with an orange background in the bottom left.

edit2:
Does anyone happen to know where the music in this stage is from? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdQjZNaxIhQ sounds like some remix of the whole darius series. It's clearly switching to G-Darius at the end.
Last edited by Zaarock on Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gigadrive32

Post by gigadrive32 »

Silly question but, there's no way my Core i7 laptop w/ Intel HD 3000 graphics can run this, right?